Custom hardware control/switch panel - simpit WIP

Mulbin

Mulbin, how are you liking the Arduino? I've been thinking on custom control panels, not for KSP, but the principle is the same. Is it good for that or it's a little overkill (aka, complicates things) for this?

The Arduino is essential for this board (and the rest planned) as they are not just controllers, they also have gauges that accurately display information from the game. Eventually I will have all of the game's data displayed on gauges and 8 segment readouts so a microprocessor like the arduino is needed to interpret the data from KSP and convert it to something the displays can use. Also it's much better to use a microprocessor for inputs (switches etc) as it can keep them in sync with the game.

I have already ditched my simple human interfact board that I was using as it did not "talk" to ksp... it just sent keystrokes, this meant that the switch positions would go out of sync with the game every time I quickloaded, docked or jumped to a different ship.

Using Zitronen's plugin my arduino makes regular checks against the position of my switches and ensures that the game state matches them - for example if I set my SAS switch to "ON" before even loading KSP... when I load the game up and start a flight the Arduino says "hey this switch is already on" and it turns the SAS on in the game :)

I think with the SAS switch being on and telling the game to do so, that could also be done with a simple mod and checking the panel states. Gauges are another story though XD I wonder if there are any options for that other than Arduino.

[...]Gauges are another story though XD I wonder if there are any options for that other than Arduino.

From my experience, the analogue to digital converter (ADC) isn't very precise on Arduino. At least the one on the Leonardo. It divides the reference voltage into 1023 steps, making it a resolution of 35mV at 3.5Vref. From my experience I can say that the CPUs can do much more.

I just read that you can bypass the bootloader. Not sure if on any board but in some cases it's possible. I'm not sure what equipment is needed for this.

Oh, you mean to write the gauges.

The solution coming into my mind is using a PWM and let a circuit convert it into something that can be handled by the gauges.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled upon your build... WOW! Now I want to build one like yours. I started looking at materials on ebay and what not, but could you post a "Materials Used" list. I'm not familiar with what types of switches and boards and things of that nature.

I just stumbled upon your build... WOW! Now I want to build one like yours. I started looking at materials on ebay and what not, but could you post a "Materials Used" list. I'm not familiar with what types of switches and boards and things of that nature.

Sure, I've been meaning to update the post with a bit more infor on the materials and techniques as well as the software and code used to run it. It takes surprisingly few resources. I'll get something up this week if I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I just missed it earlier but what type of Arduino board did you get?

(Sorry for double post, just made a forum account and apparently new users don't have the power to delete posts)

Edited by OnlyFighter

Not sure if I just missed it earlier but what type of Arduino board did you get?

(Sorry for double post, just made a forum account and apparently new users don't have the power to delete posts)

My main board which runs with Zitronen's KSP serial plugin is an Arduino Mega. It has way more pins so I can connect a lot more components to it. I will also be using some Arduino Leonardos as keyboard emulators later in the project.

UPDATE!!!

Added an update to the main post, things are moving along gradually and first panel is very near completion.... starting to look at components for panel No. 2 (main gauge panel).

Also... wires!!

ngriMZN.jpg

She's beautiful! I'm tackling my own (although much simpler) game controller project right now; an H-shifter for my racing games, as well as adapting an old game controller to make a DIY Bodnar cable for some G27 pedals I bought (to use the pedals standalone). I've come to the realization that I'm not ready to tackle something as big and complex as what you're doing... XD Also I do see the use for an Arduino board, since it's so flexible. I wish I had an Arduino board for my project, and to expand it in the future to something like what you're doing =P I could use my Raspberry Pi, but it's already got a dedicated use for me.

Edited by Ekku Zakku

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Components have started to arrive for the next phase!

I have decided to ditch the old facia panel and replace it with a better one. I will now be getting all of my labels professionally printed straight on to my panels as I wasn't satisfied with the transfer printing.

Here is a sneak preview of the art file I am constructing for the print.

B3I7c28.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think you said you were planning on implementing every control possible. Does this include mod support?

I have started ordering parts for my own controller and want to be able to control separate throttles for engine groups as well as a main throttle.

It's beautiful!! I've been wanting to do this for ages, just never had the time.

Do you think it would be possible to implement a LCD with a JSI functionality or something to that effect? Maybe somewhere to change/add manoeuvres or calculate transfer windows?

It's beautiful!! I've been wanting to do this for ages, just never had the time.

Do you think it would be possible to implement a LCD with a JSI functionality or something to that effect? Maybe somewhere to change/add manoeuvres or calculate transfer windows?

Take a look at the megathread here - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66763-Custom-hardware-simpit-repository-For-people-who-take-KSP-a-little-too-far

KK4TEE has build a DSKY computer. I will be adding a panel of 8 segment displays to my build soon (displays are on the way from China right now!).

UPDATE!!!

New parts have arrived. Gauges for fuel, oxidiser, monoprop, battery level, charge/drain... and one other, Possibly for temperature. Now I just have to work out how to make them work!

Also, the art file for the first professionally printed panel (systems switch panel) is slowly taking shape.

Cp7A9h6.jpg

Y7C3H1E.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.