Space Movies!

spaceman1999

LOVE that documentary. Have you seen it recently though? Apparently the Von Braun was launched in 2014. Who knew! Lol.

Most cable documentaries about space are crap however. They make them as if there trying to teach pre-schoolers with lame, overly drawn out analogies for every simple mechanic there is. Some are so bad its embarrassing to watch.

The gems in the sea of crap for me are

The Planets ( old though, pre cassini-huygens )

Anything from Brian Cox. ( Wonders of the Solar System may be the BEST thing to have ever been on the science channel )

Steven Hawkings universe ( or something like that )

Then there's

When we left Earth, Moon Machines and In the Shadow of the Moon. All those are the creme da creme of Apollo documentaries. ( When we left Earth is my favorite because Niel Armstrongs in it )

Oh and ima add a few.

Cant believe I forgot this one..

Man on a Mission: Richard Garriot's Road to the Stars.

( The greatest auto-biography/documentary I've ever seen.. the creator of ultima online becomes the first space tourist and you get a first person perspective into the Russian space program and the Soyuz itsself. It's emotional, its inspiring and its just so fun to watch. High reguards for that one )

Engines that came from the Cold.

( A nice documentary covering a lot of information about the Russian moon landing program and the N1 itself )

Movies?

Space Oddesy 2001/2010 ( I liked 2010 better. Chief Brody on the scene )

Europa Report. ( not the most realistic movie. But the concept makes it more then worth it. )

Gravity

Apollo 13

These are the most well done space movies I've ever seen. But again I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

And then there's an Anime everyone on this forum should watch.

Planetes. About orbital debris haulers in 2067. Some REALLY good stuff. And a great look at what routine space flight may look like in the next 50 years.

Edited by Motokid600

I just watched Marooned the other night. Very odd that is came out only a few months before the Apollo 13 incident. Definitely worth the watch if you get the chance.

Very good film. The book is good too - I found a paperback copy a few years ago in a charity bookstore, it was written in 1964.

The right stuff !...

It's a good movie. The book is even better.

BUT - both the book and the film both contain a lot of inaccuracies, some of them pretty fundamental to the story they are trying to tell.

• 9 months later...
So I just saw movie Europa Report... Pretty cool, I recommend for every space geek...

So any new good movies you recommend to watch? :)

Would you recommend Space Odyssey: Voyage to planets?

I would have 9 months ago and I still do. It's set up as a documentary, much like district 9 is, about the crew of the Pegasus. Both halves are 2 posts above you.

Edited by Spartwo

• 1 month later...

And then there's an Anime everyone on this forum should watch.

Planetes. About orbital debris haulers in 2067. Some REALLY good stuff. And a great look at what routine space flight may look like in the next 50 years.

Yes, this is very true. I watched all of it on recommendations from KSP forums and liked it so much. It may be Anime but it is hard sci-fi. It even manages to sneak in plenty of drama without being annoying.

is how characters completely change their mind set and go from quite high ranking employees to terrorists. Well, okay, there were also one or two instances IIRC where somebody was hit by something or whatever and was immediately deorbited ... oh well i can forgive that since it happened only twice in 26 episodes

:)
Edited by DaMichel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.