[1.0.5/1.1] Flight Systems Redux ASET Props and RPM IVA (8 April 2016)

MOARdV

It's been a while, but there's an update.  The Gemini pod is essentially unchanged, but I've added the in-progress Yarbrough Mk. 1-1 A2 to the collection, and I've added most of the props that alexustas released piecemeal last summer through winter, so there's something (quite a bit, actually) for IVA creators, too.  I've included a manifest of props included in the package on the wiki, along with the start of documentation on how to use the more complex and interesting components.  I've been testing this with KSP 1.1 pre-release (with pre-release plugins), but it should also work with KSP 1.05.

The latest release is on GitHub.

3 hours ago, StevieC said:

uh, ASET Props has a .dll plugin, which I thought were broken by the KSP 1.1 preview?

The prop identifier plugin does nothing, other than providing a version number that other plugins can detect.  I've never used it on my own installation.

My goodness this is gorgeous. Installing for the Yarbrough now. What do I need from the FASA pack if I am disinclined to use the Gemini in my non-RSS setting? Just the props, or some textures as well?

EDIT: any chance of getting some of these props installed in an analog-style Mk1 IVA? I'd love to feel a tech progression as I go from Mk1 to Yarbrough to Mk1-2. :D

Edited by theonegalen

@theonegalen - if you do not use the FASA pack at all, you can remove the MM config for that pod.  Neither of these IVA require FASA. Well, the Gemini pod obviously requires the Gemini pod and IVA to be installed, but neither of them use FASA props - it's all ASET.

I've tried to add props to the 3-kerbal stock pod, but the interior surfaces are uneven, so it's difficult to get props to look right.  I haven't looked at the stock Mercury analog, since there's already an RPM IVA for it.  Since I'm still working on the Yarbrough IVA, I'm not starting on anything else yet.

I tried the Yarbrough pod IVA in 1.1- it's gorgeous, but I feel like it might need interior lights! It's impossible to see a lot of the buttons unless you're in direct sunlight.

(If there's an interior light switch already, I'm dumb and didn't see it- maybe the lighting button should be self-illuminated?)

That said, though, it's an incredible IVA and I love it.

2 minutes ago, HerrGeneral said:

I tried the Yarbrough pod IVA in 1.1- it's gorgeous, but I feel like it might need interior lights! It's impossible to see a lot of the buttons unless you're in direct sunlight.

(If there's an interior light switch already, I'm dumb and didn't see it- maybe the lighting button should be self-illuminated?)

That said, though, it's an incredible IVA and I love it.

There is a panel backlight switch (see here) that illuminates the panels.  Right next to it is the cabin lighting switch, but the current lights in the craft are very dim.  I'm going to ask Yarbrough08 about making them a little bit brighter.

10 hours ago, MOARdV said:

There is a panel backlight switch (see here) that illuminates the panels.  Right next to it is the cabin lighting switch, but the current lights in the craft are very dim.  I'm going to ask Yarbrough08 about making them a little bit brighter.

Ah, found it- thanks! May I suggest that the lights be on by default if possible? Trying to find that switch when sitting on the launchpad at night is somewhat difficult.

9 hours ago, HerrGeneral said:

Ah, found it- thanks! May I suggest that the lights be on by default if possible? Trying to find that switch when sitting on the launchpad at night is somewhat difficult.

Yeah, it's hard to find in the dark if you haven't spent hours staring at the IVA while working on it. :)

I can add some luminescence to that switch label to make it easier to find in the dark, since making the switch start "on" right now isn't feasible (I have to make changes to RasterPropMonitor for that to happen).

23 minutes ago, erbmur said:

Do you have any plans to modify the stock pods with the same aesthetic?  Or will it be just these two pods?

alexustas did the 3-Kerbal capsule (it's in Add-On Development somewhere).  I don't fly space planes, so I won't be changing any of them.  That leaves the lander pods and the 1-kerbal pod for command pods.  The 1-kerbal pod is pretty limited in utility,  The landers are probably the best bet, since eventually I'd like a lander to go with the orbital craft, but I haven't looked at them to see if there's enough console space to work with.

TL; DR - I don't know yet.

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm  been looking a while and I'm unable to find the required ASET packs.   Does anyone have an alternate location?

OK, I found some old files on another computer.  ASET Props 1.3 and Avionics 1.0.   Woo Hoo!

Edited by nukeboyt

1 hour ago, nukeboyt said:

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm  been looking a while and I'm unable to find the required ASET packs.   Does anyone have an alternate location?

OK, I found some old files on another computer.  ASET Props 1.3 and Avionics 1.0.   Woo Hoo!

I've put them on DropBox (ASET Avionics and ASET Props) until alexustas has time to release updates as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Jut wanted to let you know that I installed this and flew my first basic mission with the Mk 1-1 A2. I was nearly giggling with delight, using the Mechjeb controls for ascent guidance and playing with all the settings. I'm not very good at reading the FDAI yet, but it's incredibly fun to try. Thank you!

39 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Jut wanted to let you know that I installed this and flew my first basic mission with the Mk 1-1 A2. I was nearly giggling with delight, using the Mechjeb controls for ascent guidance and playing with all the settings. I'm not very good at reading the FDAI yet, but it's incredibly fun to try. Thank you!

I'm glad you're enjoying it!  The FDAI is tricky until you've used it a while - for most situations, I change the FDAI Error Scale to 60 (the middle position), since you don't usually need fine accuracy with it.  It also is useful for docking, since you can set the X-Pointer to D-DIST, the ARRT to RNG, and the FDAI to R. VEL to get yourself pointed at a docking port and moving to line up with it, and then switch the FDAI to TARGET '-' for docking port alignment.

One of these days I'll put together a tutorial on my docking process, which may help illustrate one way to use the instruments together.  I also ought to add a module manager config to add radar to the stock docking ports, so you can acquire targets and lock on to docking ports without having to manually select them in the MFD.

Just now, MOARdV said:

One of these days I'll put together a tutorial on my docking process, which may help illustrate one way to use the instruments together.  I also ought to add a module manager config to add radar to the stock docking ports, so you can acquire targets and lock on to docking ports without having to manually select them in the MFD.

I would love to have both of these things!

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding work MOARdV. Your IVA is, IMHO, the most interesting, thrilling and fun I played with. I just can't wait to see more of your work on this. Keep up the good work!!!

Edited by Guderina

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, love Your stuff MOARdV!

I was thinking of how excrements the IVA for stock Mk1-2 Command pod is, and stumbled onto this project of yours. Would it be possible to Copy/Paste the IVA you made for Yarbrough08's mod and put it into the stock ship? I am using Ven's Stock Part Revamp, but the IVA for it could be better. I guess I've been spoiled by RPM and ALCOR.

1 hour ago, Yagami007 said:

Hello, love Your stuff MOARdV!

I was thinking of how excrements the IVA for stock Mk1-2 Command pod is, and stumbled onto this project of yours. Would it be possible to Copy/Paste the IVA you made for Yarbrough08's mod and put it into the stock ship? I am using Ven's Stock Part Revamp, but the IVA for it could be better. I guess I've been spoiled by RPM and ALCOR.

It's a different IVA, so you won't be able to copy-paste it.  alexustas made a Mk1-2 IVA replacement using his props, and it is being revised at the moment, so you may want to take a look at it when it is available again (the thread is in the Add-on development forum - I can't look it up at the moment).

• 1 month later...

MOARdv, I've been a BIG fan of RPM and the IVA enhancements when I can play KSP. I'm 'testing' a Mk1-1 Yarbrough A2 Pod and KW stack and I have an odd behavior. The Windows in front of and next to the viewing crewman (Jeb) are opaque. The windows for the 'other' Krewman (Bill in this case) are clear and can be seen through.  When you switch views (from Bill's seat), you get the same issue but now reversed with the other crewman's (Jeb's) windows being clear and the one you're viewing has opaque windows. I spent 15 mintues going over the switches looking for a shroud control before I realized that hey Bill's windows work..'oh. No they don't.'  Any ideas on what may be up? 

2 hours ago, Montieth said:

MOARdv, I've been a BIG fan of RPM and the IVA enhancements when I can play KSP. I'm 'testing' a Mk1-1 Yarbrough A2 Pod and KW stack and I have an odd behavior. The Windows in front of and next to the viewing crewman (Jeb) are opaque. The windows for the 'other' Krewman (Bill in this case) are clear and can be seen through.  When you switch views (from Bill's seat), you get the same issue but now reversed with the other crewman's (Jeb's) windows being clear and the one you're viewing has opaque windows. I spent 15 mintues going over the switches looking for a shroud control before I realized that hey Bill's windows work..'oh. No they don't.'  Any ideas on what may be up? 

It is probably an issue with the Yarbrough pod.  The changes Squad introduced with KSP 1.1 cause some issues with this pod.  I don't see an opaque window, but I see a bit of gray in the middle (like they're tinted).  In the VAB. the area outside the hatch shows up bright yellow, like there's a yellow box on the outside.  Hopefully Yarbrough08 will find some time to sort out those problems and get the pod updated to KSP 1.1.x

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.