Devnote Tuesdays: The "Road to 0.24 Starts Here" Edition

SQUAD

I have to ask, will there be a version that allows me to not have to worry about how much memory my mods are eating through (within reason of course)?

Not until 64 bit Unity works well in Windows and Mac.

I really want to know what they're doing for people who want to post on YouTube. Cinematic mode? Better camera angles? Instant replay? Ability to create avi files on the (literal) fly? A "post this to YouTube" button?

Most of those would be awesome.

'Contracts'. Terrible term! If they are what most of us are expecting, I think missions would be a lot better choice of wording. But contracts? That makes it sound like the usual mundane crap of launching some GPS satellites. Yeah . . . fun.

That aside, they're jumping into multiplayer early! I seriously expected them to work on career mode a lot more before they even started brainstorming implementation of that. This will be a good one for sure, but i seriously do hope they consider a change of wording on 'contracts'.

And what kind of missions would that be to be anything but a contract? :)

Launching satellites will be in there for sure and depending on size/mass of the satellite and of the player's current tech level, it will be a reasonable contracted mission - later someone will ask to get a sample from moon/planet X, leading to a survey mission, prospecting a certain area/biome, setting up some kind of facility and maybe bringing back some kind of bulky heavy cargo, all very viable missionized contracts according to the players available tech. :wink:

I'm wonder if there would be satellites prebuilt which I will have to put on my rocket and lunch or I would have to built them myself. I'd like both variants!

And missions for building a space station with required science equipment at predefined altitude and etc.

And what kind of missions would that be to be anything but a contract? :)

Launching satellites will be in there for sure and depending on size/mass of the satellite and of the player's current tech level, it will be a reasonable contracted mission - later someone will ask to get a sample from moon/planet X, leading to a survey mission, prospecting a certain area/biome, setting up some kind of facility and maybe bringing back some kind of bulky heavy cargo, all very viable missionized contracts according to the players available tech. :wink:

Point I'm trying to make is those things are not scientific exploration, which many people send less than small crafts off doing that. Those things cost lots of money and I think it's gonna be extremely frustrating if these grandios Joolian tours that come back with 12000 science don't net us some decent cash. I mean, the scientific community would be throwing money at you.

While all of what you say is good for starting missions, I'd like to see them get more sciency. 'Put a kerbal on Duna'. 'Drop a probe in Eve'. These are things that wouldn't necessarily fit the term well at all. Then again, I see this to be more of the main point of the game, rather then launching half a dozen satellites to get the funding for your Joolian tour science farming mission.

Not until 64 bit Unity works well in Windows and Mac.

I really want to know what they're doing for people who want to post on YouTube. Cinematic mode? Better camera angles? Instant replay? Ability to create avi files on the (literal) fly? A "post this to YouTube" button?

Most of those would be awesome.

The direct to avi would likely kill already stressed RAM. I think that's better done by an outside program. I'd like to see the cinematic camera tools and a replay mode, where it logs your entire flight (and possibly editor activity). So while you time warped your way to Duna in real time, you can go back and watch the mission and then record it at lower time warps doing cinematics while also not having to worry about flying the craft (made more difficult by most people removing the HUD).

Point I'm trying to make is those things are not scientific exploration, which many people send less than small crafts off doing that. Those things cost lots of money and I think it's gonna be extremely frustrating if these grandios Joolian tours that come back with 12000 science don't net us some decent cash. I mean, the scientific community would be throwing money at you.

While all of what you say is good for starting missions, I'd like to see them get more sciency. 'Put a kerbal on Duna'. 'Drop a probe in Eve'. These are things that wouldn't necessarily fit the term well at all. Then again, I see this to be more of the main point of the game, rather then launching half a dozen satellites to get the funding for your Joolian tour science farming mission.

Usually the science community throws money at someone to go places and find stuff and that is what I meant. Someone signing a contract for you to bring him some dust and stones from planet X - maybe a university or a company with big budgets. Later missions building up on this, like they want you to bring a scientist there and back again or landing a mining robot safely in a given location.

But I think I get your point. You mean playing the game more like a privateer-like Indiana Jones, cruising through space and selling the findings? Maybe as soon as the tech tree is completed (or even before that as a management decision) players can trade the gathered science points into cash?

This - there were a ton of updates about the Spaceport overhaul, but they whole thing seems to have vanished in the air.

hopefully they aren't trying to pull the same thing they did with resources: lets stop talking about it for a few months, then give a passing mention that it either is canceled or shelved for now (make sure it's too cryptic to tell which), an hope they all forgot about it.

Which we didn't. When squad announced that, everyone got really upset. They got even more upset when they realized what squad had done. Squad saying that resources were postponed in the way the did, combined with a potential dislike for interstellar travel (rage meter goes up), a want to preserve the games' charm by not putting in useful tools like KER (rage meter goes up some more), and deciding to turn around and start saying we want multiplayer now (which they didn't in the beginning. Rage meter climbs still higher) basically set off a thermonuclear bomb in the forums.

Sooo, I love update news and I'm glad to hear that things are moving along. But, wasn't there supposed to be an update to Spaceport some time ago? Because it's seriously borked. I haven't heard anything on it in a loooooooooooong time.
This - there were a ton of updates about the Spaceport overhaul, but they whole thing seems to have vanished in the air.
hopefully they aren't trying to pull the same thing they did with resources: lets stop talking about it for a few months, then give a passing mention that it either is canceled or shelved for now (make sure it's too cryptic to tell which), an hope they all forgot about it.

Which we didn't. When squad announced that, everyone got really upset. They got even more upset when they realized what squad had done. Squad saying that resources were postponed in the way the did, combined with a potential dislike for interstellar travel (rage meter goes up), a want to preserve the games' charm by not putting in useful tools like KER (rage meter goes up some more), and deciding to turn around and start saying we want multiplayer now (which they didn't in the beginning. Rage meter climbs still higher) basically set off a thermonuclear bomb in the forums.

SpacePort 2 was just about finished when the developer working on it left. It appears to have been scrapped since.

Can't wait.. hope it doesn't break the like 50 mods I have installed... haha luckily my mac mini can handle them all with awesome fps.. just wish I didn't have to have my textures set to nothing to make them work. I'd love if this patch gave us 64bit.. but I won't get my hopes up.

...and the people cried, please o Lord, bring multiplayer to KSP so that I may cast away my hours building spacestations with friends. Jesus considered this, and told them, "It shall be done." And the people rejoiced.

...research on space horror flicks...
Thank you, Daniel, for labeling it so correctly. To me, there is a big difference between science-fiction and horror. I just hate it when humanity is living and working in space, and brave astronauts embark on an epic journey of discovery, prepared and ready for unknown hardships and challenges... but then the zombies jump out and eat everyone's faces.

That said, I've no doubt your movie references will be inevitably awesome.

Spaceport has not been forgotten, awsumindyman. The team has been investigating a number of directions and options for it, including anything that may have been publicly released in the past. For the moment, though, there is no news on who, what, when, where or why. Just know that it hasn't been cancelled or anything like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Sill can't believe they shelved what was supposed to be the most important element in the game to date, mining.

I remember all the screenshots back in the .18 days when ksp development was at its apex apoapsis.

And whatever happened to those awesome clouds? I remember screenies of em.

Sill can't believe they shelved what was supposed to be the most important element in the game to date, mining.

I remember all the screenshots back in the .18 days when ksp development was at its apex apoapsis.

And whatever happened to those awesome clouds? I remember screenies of em.

IIRC, the clouds made KSP a lagfest, and mining was too complicated.

:(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.