different kinds of fuel

KerbMav

When thinking about gathering resources in space I wondered if we could use the oceans on Eve and/or Laythe, the poles of Duna or maybe Jools atmosphere even to gather oxygen, hydrogen, carbondioxide, water or compounds to extract the needed elements for refining/processing ... the question that made me pause was: If real life rockets (mostly/usually) use oxygen and hydrogen, do KSP jet engines run on hydrogen or do KSP rockets use kerosene - and is the oxidizer even pure oxygen then?

Is this aspect of KSP finished or will there be changes in the future?

It's more fun than grinding science...

Sending stuff to places you've been before anyway but limited by parts just to unlock them again?

Or setting up bases and refueling there to be able to launch rockets again from a whole new launch site, giving you a whole new experience?

Well for me anyway the later is the clear winner there.

My question was about whether rockets using jet fuel was final. :)

Kerosene is a viable jet fuel and one of the most used first stage rocket fuels. So I'm fairly sure they'll keep it like that. LOX-LH2 is often used for second stages thanks to its high energy density per mass unit. But you don't want to use it on your first stage since LOX-LH2 has a very low density, so your thrust tends to be low. When you use LOX-LH2 in your first stage its almost always a booster assisted stage. The space shuttle or the Ariane V are good examples.

If you want extra types of fuel you should try out the Real Fuels mod by NathanKell. It's a bit of a puzzle to get it all running, but it adds many different types of fuels, all with their own advantages and disadvantages. If you want to mine additional fuel you should look into either Interstellar or Kethane. Both add resource gathering to the game, Interstellar's version is a bit more complex while Kethane is more user friendly and aesthetically pleasing (in my opinion of course).

do KSP jet engines run on hydrogen or do KSP rockets use kerosene - and is the oxidizer even pure oxygen then?

Most likely they're all using Kerbal Secret Formula

Is this aspect of KSP finished or will there be changes in the future?

Theoretically it might still change but I think most people are perfectly happy with it as it is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.