I´m circumnavigating Kerbin on a Rover - Completed August 24, 2014

Wooks

Don´t worry about that, the physics engine only count parts located about 5 kilometers around your current ship, if is not close to your active ship it does not load. Currently this save is counting 89 flights between ships landed and crashed, kerbals on the ground, flags and debris, all from this mission.

If you normally have 89 flights with no problems, then you can rule this out. But there is an upper limit somewhere. Even if the physics don't kick in until you're close, there's still something there the game has to keep track of, to know when you get close enough to load physics. I have a pretty high-end computer but I find the game starts getting slightly unstable when I pass 50-60 flights spread all across the system, not all on 1 planet. The game hasn't crashed even with 80-90 flights the problems get worse as the number of flights increases. Graphics glitches start happening (usually the altimeter and navball go wonky), longer load times between scenes and when changing ships, etc.

So, when I start noticing these glitches, I conduct a great purge. Anything that's outlived its usefulness has to die. Because I have persistent debris turned off, this means culling stuff I actually care about: ships and flags. Makes for hard decisions sometimes.

If you normally have 89 flights with no problems, then you can rule this out. But there is an upper limit somewhere. Even if the physics don't kick in until you're close, there's still something there the game has to keep track of, to know when you get close enough to load physics. I have a pretty high-end computer but I find the game starts getting slightly unstable when I pass 50-60 flights spread all across the system, not all on 1 planet. The game hasn't crashed even with 80-90 flights the problems get worse as the number of flights increases. Graphics glitches start happening (usually the altimeter and navball go wonky), longer load times between scenes and when changing ships, etc.

So, when I start noticing these glitches, I conduct a great purge. Anything that's outlived its usefulness has to die. Because I have persistent debris turned off, this means culling stuff I actually care about: ships and flags. Makes for hard decisions sometimes.

I´ll take this into account, thank you very much for your advice. I really like the trail as a tool to have a visual scale of the mission so far, but if I find this to be a problem then I´ll recover some debris first to see if it solves some of the problems.

This is my personal challenge to circumnavigate Kerbin on a rover, no mods, only stock because HARDCORE. It´s a daunting task, I know, but I think it can be done, I´m taking my time and having a blast.

The general profile of this series:

- No Mods, no hacks, no hyperedit, only stock.

- This is a permadeath series, what crashes crashes and stays like that.

- If a rover crashes or there are casualties, a new rover is delivered by air from the Kerbal Space Center to the precise location of the last crash.

- The journey must be made on a rover with the wheels on the ground, no "hopping" over terrain obstacles to deliver a new rover a few kilometers ahead.

- The only exception to the previous rule: If a body of water cuts the path and there´s no way around, then the rover must be taken from the ground, transported over the gap and delivered on the other side.

You can follow the unfolding events on youtube, this is the latest uploaded video

Sequence+01.Still0081.jpg

I´ll take this into account, thank you very much for your advice. I really like the trail as a tool to have a visual scale of the mission so far, but if I find this to be a problem then I´ll recover some debris first to see if it solves some of the problems.

I have been working on a utility to manage debris (SADOR, selective automatic debris object removal) but it's not quite ready for prime time.

The (Windows 64-bit) build linked won't work for debris around Jool and its moons or for Eeloo (I'll sort that soon, didn't have the planet numbers to hand when I wrote it) and doesn't do multiple locations at once easily (unless you want to get rid of all debris) but you can tell it "remove all debris orbiting Kerbin" or "remove all debris splashed down on Eve" or "remove all debris from the vicinity of KSC" (which last is slightly wrong because of inconvenient lat-long).

I'd back up your save file before trying, but I've been using it on my own without mishap.

Point it at your save game folder (e.g. G:\ksp\ksp_win\saves\kay career), wait for a minute or so and it'll say how much debris it's found and prompt you for which debris to remove.

(ETA source code is included inside the zip; it's Python and relies on easygui. You may possibly recognise the quality coding style of my (now outdated) Sir, You are Being Hunted mods.) :D

Edited by Silverchain

Sounds like a very interesting (but time-consuming!) task.

I will follow your series once I am done dealing with all my workload.

I have been working on a utility to manage debris (SADOR, selective automatic debris object removal) but it's not quite ready for prime time.

Sounds very interesting. I will test it and report any bugs/inconsistencies I find, fellow kerbonaut.

Sounds like a very interesting (but time-consuming!) task.

I will follow your series once I am done dealing with all my workload.

Welcome aboard then, and yes, time consuming is the name of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my personal challenge to circumnavigate Kerbin on a rover, no mods, only stock because HARDCORE. It´s a daunting task, I know, but I think it can be done, I´m taking my time and having a blast.

The general profile of this series:

- No Mods, no hacks, no hyperedit, only stock.

- This is a permadeath series, what crashes crashes and stays like that.

- If a rover crashes or there are casualties, a new rover is delivered by air from the Kerbal Space Center to the precise location of the last crash.

- The journey must be made on a rover with the wheels on the ground, no "hopping" over terrain obstacles to deliver a new rover a few kilometers ahead.

- The only exception to the previous rule: If a body of water cuts the path and there´s no way around, then the rover must be taken from the ground, transported over the gap and delivered on the other side.

You can follow the unfolding events on youtube, this is the latest uploaded video

Sequence+01.Still011.jpg

You were not lying about the Mountains of hardness,the terrain there is buggy as hell.

I found a hill up there where gravity is inverted, if you stop your rover and don´t activate the brakes it rolls uphill.

I found a hill up there where gravity is inverted, if you stop your rover and don´t activate the brakes it rolls uphill.

That's what I humbly call the "Geschosskopf Effect". I discovered it on Mun where it is a common feature of conjoined craters at the points where their rims intersect. But I didn't know it could happen on Kerbin in the absence of craters so it must be a new phenomenon: the Wooks Effect :)

It's been a thing since .0 but it couldn't really be reliably shown until rover wheels.Other concentrations of the bug are around THE MOUNTAINS OF HARDNESS,hills on Vall,and Moho's poles.I call it 'Wobbly Wheels' or more comedicely 'The Carmageddon Effect'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Take a wrong turn there, or was that intentional? XD

The wrong turn was a sincere mistake, I was doing two things at a time and wasn´t paying attention to the navball :sticktongue:

Glad to see you're still doing this. Amazing story.

Step by step man, step by step. I´m actually on episode 13 and I sincerelly believe I can finish this in 7 more, fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.