I´m circumnavigating Kerbin on a Rover - Completed August 24, 2014

Wooks

To the OP, travel by sea, and aim for 50+ m/s. Your life will be much better for it! Oh, and please consider some mods. They make these voyages viable.

I want it to be more of a challenge or feat, some have suggested interesting mods that could make the trip easier or faster but then what would be the point? Now, hear me, I know that this can bite me in the rear end after starting, but that´s the point of this thread, to gather some info about this kind of challenge and make an informed decision before starting.

There are a couple mods I could be interested that will help me record data of the travel and trace a path, I´m considering those, but nothing that could automate the task or make it easier. Thanks for your advice dude, very kind.

No, just saying it's an opportunity not to be missed. Unless you want to go and do a landing at each site...

I already did that, I launched a station of sorts with all the landers needed to drop in each biome, it was fun.

I may have a winner, after much testing with smaller rovers I decided for a bigger, sturdier one, it can reach 22 m/s and go over glitchs in the terrain the little ones couldn´t. Almost have my land route planned and if everything goes smoothly I only will need to cross a small gap of water. How? We´ll see.

Is not pretty, but It will do.

screenshot22.png

There's a bit of a bug/feature in which if you hold down W (or whatever your 'go forward' button is mapped to) and Alt-TAB out of the game, your rover will continue roving when you switch back to KSP. You can even steer it too! The only issue is that to undo this, you have to hold down the reverse button and switch away from the game, and it's a little finicky. Despite this, it should be an excellent method to avoid having to hold down the forward button for 52 hours!

Contrary to popular belief, travelling by sea is probably the best route.

You can easily make in excess of 250m/s.

The original kerbal regatta thread was a very interesting log of the evolution of design ideas for sea travel. Alas, it was lost in the forum crash.

I'd be inclined to have some sort of amphibious transporter dropped off in advance at the sea crossing.

Travelling by water is quite easy once you understand how it works; basically parts can't go from being not submerged to submerged while travelling quickly, and only certain parts can be submerged without slowing the boat down to a crawl). The biggest problem is carrying enough fuel for long journeys, without the mass changing too much that it will cause parts to come too close to the submerged/not submerged line and disintegrate at cruising speeds XD

There's a bit of a bug/feature in which if you hold down W (or whatever your 'go forward' button is mapped to) and Alt-TAB out of the game, your rover will continue roving when you switch back to KSP. You can even steer it too! The only issue is that to undo this, you have to hold down the reverse button and switch away from the game, and it's a little finicky. Despite this, it should be an excellent method to avoid having to hold down the forward button for 52 hours!

Or, if you use the pitch axis for throttle, use the trim. :P

UPDATE: I started already, I think I have all the necessary stuff to do this and will jump right into it, I will update this thread with every advance, thanks for all your advice, it was very useful. ONWARDS!

Edited by Wooks

...Crashed already.You probably hadn't even got to steep terrain yet.

BTW what route did you use if you only had to cross one bit of water(it's been a while since I had some alone time with the Tropis)

Edited by Spartwo

...Crashed already.You probably hadn't even got to steep terrain yet.

BTW what route did you use if you only had to cross one bit of water(it's been a while since I had some alone time with the Tropis)

I found a badly bugged spot 30 / 35 kilometers north the Space Center, rover bounces and tumbles without reason in the flatest terrain, and if you DARE to walk over it your Kerbal will fall through the ground. THROUGH THE GROUND MAN! WITCHCRAFT!

The route is due North, through the poles, I´m allowing some elbow room not taking a circular path so I can roam around. We´ll see what happens, I´ll update with a road map.

Hey Wooks, could you turn this into like a story kind of thing? I would very much like to see how the whole adventure unfolds from Lenvin's/your perspective!

By doing this as a permadeath series I´m obligued to turn this into a "story kind of thing", I´ll try to make this entertaining because its a looooong trip to spend it only looking at a rover.

First replacement! I crashed 35 kilometers away from the Space Center and a new rover is on his merry way.

That's as far as the first mountain range right?

I will definitely be following this great voyage! I have thought about doing this before but always wrote it off as too time consuming.

I will have to experience it vicariously through you. Wishing you the best of luck on finishing this. I know its just a game an all but we all know how much of a challenge this will be.

God speed little doodle.

MJ

That's as far as the first mountain range right?

I will definitely be following this great voyage! I have thought about doing this before but always wrote it off as too time consuming.

I will have to experience it vicariously through you. Wishing you the best of luck on finishing this. I know its just a game an all but we all know how much of a challenge this will be.

God speed little doodle.

MJ

Yep, first mountain range, not even in the steep parts.

Thanks for your support, it means a lot, I love to do this kind of things just for the kick of it, but knowing others are interested is a great deal to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.