I´m circumnavigating Kerbin on a Rover - Completed August 24, 2014

Wooks

Are you sure about this? Kerbin has a radius of 600 km, and a circumference of 3,770 km. Assuming you can maintain an average speed of 20 m/s, even a perfectly circular equatorial circumnavigation would take over 52 hours, and the circuitous route you have mapped out would probably take much longer. To each his own, but that doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me.

This. Seems very boring to me but as long as you're having fun, go for it!

I was doing this on the Mun back in 0.20 with a heavy crawler. My mission was to find all the anoms laying around and plant a flag at each point. I had two crawlers of the same design chasing each other. Few tweaks such as turning off brakes on the lead rover, locking the steering on the center two wheels was essential. One thing I DID NOT do was use physics acceleration. I had MJ "Press W" for me and keep me on course, but, that didn't mean I didn't have to just stare at the screen and make sure nothing went foul.

I was doing this on the Mun back in 0.20 with a heavy crawler. My mission was to find all the anoms laying around and plant a flag at each point. I had two crawlers of the same design chasing each other. Few tweaks such as turning off brakes on the lead rover, locking the steering on the center two wheels was essential. One thing I DID NOT do was use physics acceleration. I had MJ "Press W" for me and keep me on course, but, that didn't mean I didn't have to just stare at the screen and make sure nothing went foul.

Well, that´s the thing right there, I´m not using any mod :confused:

This. Seems very boring to me but as long as you're having fun, go for it!

Given the level of challenge so far it has been very... entertaining might be the word?

I was expecting something like 50 hours of pressing "W" and then uploading a 25x accelerated video of the long, tedious, boring trip. Nope. Not at all. I´ve launched 3 ships to send flag bearers to points of interest, sent 4 replacement rovers in a flatbed VTOL and fought terrain glitchs after terrain glitch.

Fun? :confused:

I uploaded the newest episode of my ongoing mission to circumnavigate Kerbin on a rover, no mods, no cheats, permadeath. Because hardcore.

New episodes every sunday, subrcribe if you have a youtube "thingy".

UPDATE: New computer specs: Intel i3, 8gig RAM, 1gig Video, things look pretty now :kiss:

You can follow the unfolding events on youtube, this is the latest uploaded video

Sequence+01.Still0051.jpg

Edited by Wooks

I admire your perseverance.

So, are you next going to do an epic rescue misson to pick up all the Kerbals dropped off along the route?

That could be an interesting wrap up to the mission, but there is a LOT to travel before that.:)

This is a truly great thing you're doing. I hope your videos will become more famous once KSP gets more popular.

I'm watching the videos and it looks so similar to this.

Very cool. Keep up with the mission. :)

Thanks for your support dude, really appreciate it. If you want to help anyone who has a youtube channel don´t forget to subscribe to it, give a like to the video you liked, leave a comment or share in your preferred social media, it helps to spread the word.

Bummer about the game crashing. Perhaps you need to start removing stuff from the trail behind? The game doesn't like having a bunch of stuff to keep track of. Maybe delete the debris, recover the Kerbals, but leave the flags?

Don´t worry about that, the physics engine only count parts located about 5 kilometers around your current ship, if is not close to your active ship it does not load. Currently this save is counting 89 flights between ships landed and crashed, kerbals on the ground, flags and debris, all from this mission.

I believe the culprit for the crash was my recording software Fraps, I´m currently investigating because this never happened in any other of my videos. The last leg of the video was recorded in one large 2 hours session and it may be the problem.

Edited by Wooks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.