Simulation Engineer Opening at SpaceX

knicewar

Many of us here at SpaceX are big fans of KSP, and we are especially impressed and honored by the cool SpaceX fan mods. It occurred to me that some of KSP fans might be interested in getting paid to do space simulation software work, so at the risk of being too commercial for this forum, let me pitch the job opening in my group:

SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up including cutting edge electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engine systems. The Falcon Launch Vehicle and Dragon Spacecraft programs are some of the most ambitious engineering systems in the world, designed to support our ultimate goals of aviation-like spaceflight capability and making humanity a multi-planet species.

We are actively seeking the brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue building our world class team. Specifically, and relevant to this forum, we are seeking rock-star software engineers to join our simulation software team, where we develop complex physics-based simulations. Please note that an aerospace background is not required. In fact, we encourage fresh perspectives to problems by looking outside the typical industries. The main requirements are to have Jedi-like C++ skills and a keen eye for high-quality, high-performance software design.

As a Simulation Software Engineer, you will be uniquely involved with space vehicle development all the way from pre-design exploratory analysis to pre-flight checkouts and mission operations. You will directly support a variety of other groups such as Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC), Structures, Propulsion, Aerodynamics, Avionics, Flight Software, Software Test, Launch Operations, and Mission Operations. You will help develop the software framework that makes it easier for other groups to develop, test, and maintain simulation models. You will also develop simulation models that are not covered by other groups. The simulation group will be working on the Mars mission long before most of the company!

If you're interested, more details for the position and a link to apply are here: http://www.spacex.com/careers/position/3858. If you have questions, feel free to reply to this posting or contact us via our web site.

Hello SpaceX Rep,

My name is Carlos and I applied to two or three positions two or three months ago. I also plan on applying for 3 more tonight that I looked at yesterday so its kind of funny how you guys popped up today. How often do you guys look at positions and do you send out notifications if you don't select someone? I find that 90% of the companies I apply to don't tell me if I wasn't chosen which I could understand and deal with. I actually got an email last month from I believe it was Boeing for a position I applied to when I was in college back in 2010 saying they had selected someone else or closed the position...after 3 years.

I am an Aerospace and Ocean Engineering double major from Virginia Tech 2011 class and currently work as a Mechanical Engineer for an antenna research company. VT taught me plenty of C++/MatLab/LabView programming during my classes so its not that difficult to pick back up if given a week or two. I don't want to hog the thread with resume junk so if you are in contact with other hiring managers for any of the McGregor, Texas positions or Florida (I have family in Kissimmee) feel free to launch a message my way or Tweet @AeroSpaceKnight.

Good Luck everyone who applies!

Live, Launch and Love!

Hi there!

Thanks for contacting us here at KSP Forums! I'm in the process of applying at SpaceX. I just finished my masters in systems science where I focused on simulation and chaos theory. I may not yet meet the qualifications though, as C++ is not a strong language for me, but as they say, once you know one language, learning another is a piece of cake. But I'm going to give it a try! Hopefully spacex will consider my experience to be useful and relevant.

Truth in advertising, I'm not a SpaceX HR person (but I do know a few), so I can't speak much to your experience applying to SpaceX. I'm an engineer in the Simulation Software group and what I can say is that we have a multi-layered process where resumes are first vetted by HR guys and then passed to the hiring manager. If you don't hear back in a week or so, don't give up! Try applying to different positions and make sure to have a great cover letter/email that highlights your skills and drive. We generally look for people who have demonstrated going above and beyond, like doing side projects at school or after work, so make sure to emphasize what you think you bring to SpaceX.

Good luck!

It certainly doesn't hurt to try. And if the initial position isn't a match, we typically evaluate against other similar openings.

I work closely with the GNC folks for simulation, so I know they have a lot of exciting work ahead of them!

FYI, we have an excellent internship program.

Edited by sjwt

FYI, we have an excellent internship program.

Too bad you have to be a US citizen or permanent resident... I tried to apply for one but it's pretty dead for me since I'm Canadian. Do you know if they even consider applications from non-US citizen? After my studies, I would be happy to relocate and I have done a lot of extra work in school (Formula SAE and other projects).

Would SpaceX seriously consider non US citizens or permanent residents? I'm a Canadian citizen living in Canada but would love to work for SpaceX if they were to sponsor a work visa.

Unfortunately due to ITAR Regulations we are unable to employ people that are not permanent residents of the U.S. (Green Card holders or U.S. Citizens).

The main requirements are to have Jedi-like C++ skills and a keen eye for high-quality, high-performance software design.

Alas, my modest Perl ability and skill with regex isn't up to the Jedi-like abilities you require for this position. BUT...

If Mars ever needs a Network Abuse/Security Engineer, I'm so there! I'd jump at the chance to keep outer space free from spam and malware.

Props to the *qualified* candidates, and I hope one of you gets the job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.