[1.0.x; Part, Plugin] parameciumkid's Jump Drive 0.6 (compatibility update)

problemecium

From the bucket'o'ideas thing: have the beacon consume resources (with mass) proportionally to the mass of the ship transported? Probably would have to be optional, but having it eat something (maybe even two things: something you'd have to mine in the inner system, and something to mine in the outer system) would be cool for the infrastructure building itch, bonus points if that something can't actually be on a ship that's jumping (so you'd still have to slowboat *something*, just not as much).

It's just a silly idea though. I really like the new effects.

Ok i just try it.....and it is amazing, simple, enjoyable.....:D:D:D:D:D:D

i'm just in love!!! and the effect are awesome

I really want to thank you for this man!

Seconding all this. This mod... touches me somewhere deep inside :) Time to start using TACLS and building proper bases and...

I'l put my hand up to dl'ing this just because the pics looked so cool and I really enjoyed the old old mod of a similar type.

It looks like hyper edit, only used because even with my ships building a base takes a few trips and after 4 or 5 times it's a drag, is about to be kicked out.

Does it have any problems physics wise with mass or size of ships? as my latest hits the max on VAB even with extender i guess I'll find out:)

Thanks for all the rave reviews! I'm glad people are actually using this xD

Regarding stability as related to the complexity of ships, I don't have that much data yet, so by all means run some experiments and post your findings. I imagine it may bug out if your ship is over 100 meters long (you may collide with the beacon on arrival), but who knows what other nuances there are.

The only thing that bothers me a little so far is, when charging the beacon and the jump drive both seem to float through other parts a little? Its not really an issue in orbit, but if you stack one of those on top of other parts and try to charge them on the launch pad you will quickly see what I mean.

Not sure if it's intentional or not?

Interesting little mod. A jump directly from the launchpad into jool orbit where a beacon is worked ok. There was the above mentioned "sinking in" of parts while engaging, but it worked. But the same payload wasnt able to jump from kerbin orbit to the receiving planetary jump-pad while it was active on the launchpad. There was only a "energy depleted" warning, and a small jump of some 100m or so. As i said, the exact same payload jumped correctly to the beacon at jool.

Really like this mod, was always a big fan of teleportation :) one thing, the sound should be much louder and more tension inducing. And for the sake of "no cheating" maybe the energy needed should be much higher, and there could be errors, random fluctuations in precision, occasional explosions, deformed / flylike kerbals, etcetc. Every jump should be a adventure in itself, and wouldnt it be fun if a mission is occasionally send to eelo instead to the mun? :)

For the tension idea... The way the energy and brute force buildup is presented before and in the jump is nicely done with the jump drive in "contact". Think about it, the kerbals tear the fabric of spacetime apart for this, and they like a big show and explosions ;)

Edited by smart013

charge them on the launch pad

Actually, I'm shocked you managed to get away with that. I presume you never took a look at the info window on the map screen while doing this?

Spoiler: the reason they "floated through" the other parts is because they were crushing them under their weight. Jump Charge actually has a mass of 900 tons per unit, which is why it's unsafe to activate a Jump Drive or beacon on the ground.

...seriously, HOW did you manage to not have your ships explode???

Regarding smart's comments: the "receiving pad" doesn't actually work just yet, as I'm having trouble working out proper jumps to landed vessels. You may notice the debug log says they haven't been implemented yet - when I initially tried this with the "normal" orbital jump code, ships had about a 50/50 chance of either ending up underground or way up in the air. Or flying through intergalactic space at Ludicrous Speed. Long story short, the Kraken didn't approve.

I'll go ahead and make the sounds louder, and maybe add some particle effects. I was a tiny bit worried about making them too loud, and the volume is already set at double for the jump noise.

Edited by parameciumkid

I'll go ahead and make the sounds louder, and maybe add some particle effects. I was a tiny bit worried about making them too loud, and the volume is already set at double for the jump noise.

Actually my only complaint with the sounds is that they don't seem to play in sequence with events. i.e., the 'charging up' sounds start when I open the context menu and then no sound is made while the Jump Charge is building up. I do love the sounds though, especially the 'failed jump' sound that it makes when you cancel a jump, which was a pleasant surprise in my testing.

i just jumped my first ship from kerbin to duna in a matter of seconds. Awesome mod!!!!! :D

one question: would it be possible to have 3 different sizes of jumpdives? and that you have to choose the right one based on your ships mass? they should have different energy requirements too.

Actually, I'm shocked you managed to get away with that. I presume you never took a look at the info window on the map screen while doing this?

Spoiler: the reason they "floated through" the other parts is because they were crushing them under their weight. Jump Charge actually has a mass of 900 tons per unit, which is why it's unsafe to activate a Jump Drive or beacon on the ground.

Ha ha ha yeah that would explain it (and the camera movements as it charges). As long as the jump drive is the bottom part in contact with the launchpad it works. Emergency surface-to-space jumps not recommended? :)

In my case everything that was needed were 6 landing legs. They were broken after the jump, but it worked :) thanks for the info, will wait till the beacon pad works.

While i've been enjoying the functionality of the drive, i find it just too big to be aesthetically pleasing. Its not the part's looks - its that i have to make very large ships around it. I wouldn't even mind if it weighed the same and had the same energy requirements, just something slimmer would go a long way.

I'm only just about to try this, but i have a thought. an alternate version where it uses charged particles or exotic mater from ksp Interstellar rather than electric charge. and in turn that you don't need to "charge" for a jump for a jump. Rather, that you activate the jump and it fails if you don't have enough charged particles, or even destroys the ship.

For me , this mod is very attractive, because IT IS SIMPLE TO USE!

You have a beacon, a jump drive, you load the jump with enough power and you go!

it is as simple as that and i love that!:D

+ A smaller jump engine would be nice, i can go with a jump drive docked and eject it after the jump, but i don't like doing it that way:huh:.

And with a big carrier ship my game is so slow;.;

I also would like some dependencies (or options) to ksp interstellar. Would be great if one needs to use the whole output of a Antimatter Reactor for a jump to eelo or something like that. The more its doesnt look like a disclosed Hyperedit, the better :)

Again: i love it the way it is, only suggesting thing.

Stunning work on the visual effects! Nice mod. Do you mind if I cheekily ask how you set up the energy effect shaders? It's similar to something I'd like to put on my anti gravity repulsors, I just haven't figured out how to do it yet :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.