[1.0.x; Part, Plugin] parameciumkid's Jump Drive 0.6 (compatibility update)

problemecium

So I downloaded this and gave it a good test run. I started by placing a beacon at 100KM above Kerbin and another at 50KM at the Mun. Built a small test ship covered in generators and jumped from the pad to the Mun. Then I thought, Hmmm...maybe it doesn't need to be the active ship to jump. So I started the jump to kerbin orbit and switched to the Mun beacon. Jumped like clockwork and arrived safely. Did it like 10 times with no issues.

Couple things. You should speed up the gyros in the drive itself til they are almost a blur at the end. Also, if possible, make the bubble effect spin or two of them spinning in opposite directions as an idea.

How would you go about scaling the parts if you wanted to shrink them?

I gave it a try couple of minutes ago and it works like a charm! I really like the way it works and less complicated than the Interstellar warp drive. The blue sphere of energy effect is cool but I think its too quick to charge and warp. I had barely the time to see the effect that I was already at the warp beacon.

Overall I like it and will take a closer look at the progression of this mod.

Okay then, the to-do list for 0.6 (or perhaps 1.0?) shall begin with amplifying the sound effects, increasing the charging time, and either making the platform work or taking it out until I can make one that works.

For now, the reason the platform doesn't work is because I have yet to figure out how to make a ship jump to something that isn't orbiting anything. I think I'll be taking another look at how HyperEdit manages it.

P.S. to shrink parts you should be able to just change the rescaleFactor in the .cfg files. Currently I believe it's 1, but presumably if you make it 0.5 you should get 1.25-meter sized versions of the part. Lemme know if it bugs out of course ;)

One idea that could make it at least as legit as the warpdrive from kspi (means, its maybe scifi, but its not really op):

When you access the problem of a stationary teleportpad you will of course encounter the differences between the velocities in m/s and deltav between the origin point (say kerbin surface, velocity relative to the sun) and the destination (say moho surface). In kspi this means that you maybe start with 3000 m/s in kerbin orbit, and end with 15000 m/s in moho orbit.

(I am not really good at orbital mechanics/mathematics, so excuse my crude example here, hope you get the point)

In kspi this means that you should try to reduce your deltav when arriving at your destination through planning or brute force and burn the difference with your engines.

A jump drive or a teleport now could take these numbers and calculate the energy needed to bridge the differences between origin point and destination. If it works in kspi, it should be dooable here too (if you are good at math, so this excludes me :) ). A stock solution would revolve around some major batteriepark since stock has no reactors or such. If you think about integrating kspi or near future mod, you could generate the needed power ... or you integrate some kind of powergenerator as part of your mod (nuclear, fusion etc..)

On the plus side it would be no easy task (as it is in kspi to bridge the deltav differences) to produce the energy to teleport a kerbal from kerbin to moho... so no more resemblance to hyperedit. Of course it would make your smart and easy to use mode a lot more challeging.

Just my 2c.. i had fun with it anyways :)

I'll second the idea of adding a large battery pack in the future. Even if it's got the same 4k capacity as the big stock ones, maybe make it radial, like the 400EC ones.

Overall I enjoy this quite a bit for someone who doesn't usually have much interest in near-future sort of tech, let alone pure sci-fi. Thinking maybe I'll roleplay it as extremely risky emergency tech. Keep a beacon around Minmus and have an emergency escape ship in high orbit around Duna/Laythe. Have the jump drive at the end of a long structural piece to separate it from the crew compartment, a la Event Horizon. In case of massive life support failure at a distant colony and such.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't worry too much about making the ground platform work. Even though this is deep into the realm of scifi/handwavium, being able to jump from Kerbin orbit to orbit elsewhere is just fine by me. I like the idea of not being able to use it in atmosphere/upon the surface for safety reasons or the like, plus then you still need a system to land whatever you're transporting.

Edited by Boomerang

I'm going to download this mod tomorrow and play with it. I'm super excited about stumbling across this (beautiful signature banner, that's what caught my eye).

I personally would like to see a version that does make things a bit more difficult... perhaps another resource that builds up/ depletes after each jump? Something akin to Waste Heat or Static Charge? Electricity is pretty easy to come by- and though this saves a lot of time, I think a three day or week long down-time would make this much more 'reasonable' to me.

I like the concept and models so much however, that I'm gonna download it anyway and perhaps try my hand at learning the coding necessary to tweak that resource management myself. ;)

-Khorso

Hm, yea electricity is real a bit tooo easy to get "Must have" thingi.

One KSPI Low Tech Reactor and you have the Charge energy in lesser than 20 seconds.

Yes I know normal they are seperated mods, but you can guess take as given that 80 % who will use your Mod use KSPI too (because these people (like me) liked Sci Fi stuff yet before and before yours KSPI and NFT were the only ones)

im getting this NOWW thanks a lot, can suit well with near future pack as it adds bunch of huge electric generation methods, ,i like to know;

can i beam to surfaces? im thinking it would resulnt in BOOM BOOM BOOM ksp physic failures.

do you play EVE? the word CYNO, interesting huh

- - - Updated - - -

definitly the best sci-fi warp mod in this forum

a bacon over Duna

http://i59.tinypic.com/10hskfc.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/2e4965i.png

that antenna dish in the second picture, I WANT IT, MINE , I SAID MINEEE

Sounds like a great movie title! Are we talking about Kevin Bacon, or some delicious italian (canadian?) bacon? ;)

Just for the taste ^^

i think the "E" runs away after thinking of the cool title ^^

that antenna dish in the second picture, I WANT IT, MINE , I SAID MINEEE

Antenna Dish Subassemblies

Edited by 9t3ndo

Okay, yes, those of you who have been speculating caught me. I do (well technically did, I'm on a hiatus at present) play EVE Online, which is where I got the inspiration for the "cynotsosural field generator", a less reliable version of their cynosural field generator. Hence "cy-not-so-sure-al field". Yes, brilliant pun, I know xP

I am indeed leaving in a few "bugs" on purpose. For example, HyperEdit has a way to teleport ships without screwing up the orbits of nearby ships (it puts them on rails before teleporting), but when I observed what happened without that feature I decided it'd be more fun to just have it be "canon" and include a warning about "dangerous plasma discharges disrupting nearby craft".

As I've mentioned, there are plans to make jumps onto planet surfaces possible in the next update, and now that it's been brought up I suppose I should have space beacons shut off when they hit the ground, for safety.

Also perhaps you should keep some of the less game-braking bugs just so it has some risks?

I also would like that there are .. hmm ... sometimes random things happen when activating. Maybe vanished kerbals (changed kerbals? color?) loss of fuel.. random fluctuations of speed, wrong destinations (face of duna instead of your target) and so on. There were similar (?) trinkets in games like wow with malfunctions like these that were very funny :)

Or ... suppose you have a spacefaring vessel (no landing legs, no way to lift horizontally) or a station that rematerializes on the surface of eve. Lots of problems :)

A solution to the OP problem could be if the vehicle would randomly spawn in a massive sphere around the beacon. And with massive I mean Kerbin - Moon radius.

This way conventional travel would win out on the short distance, but the beacons reign supreme for interplanetary distances. It also makes the jumps a lot less OP: The beacon needs to be in a very high orbit to prevent the craft from spawning inside the planet or on a collision course. The jumpship would also need some conventional engines with significant dV to fix its orbit afterwards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.