[1.0.x; Part, Plugin] parameciumkid's Jump Drive 0.6 (compatibility update)

problemecium

EDIT: I just tried to test one of the jump beacons while sitting at the launch pad... and KSP just completely exited, not even a crash log or anything. From what I could see... when I activated the beacon all the structural links on the probe just failed... should I not test this thing while sitting on the ground? Also this was KSPx64.

EDIT2: Got a beacon into orbit and tested it there, everything seemed ok.

So just a question then... do both the beacon and the drive have to be charged up in order to perform a (slipspace) jump?

I've done exactly the same thing in the 32 bit version. Jump charge has a density of 90.01 - I imagine the disintegration occurred due to the probe being unable to support itself, and the crash as KSP wondered what on earth to do with several hundred tons of beacon suddenly trying to burrow through the launchpad.

So yes, you do have to be in space, for the practical reason of your ship remaining intact due to the forces on it, rather than the pluggin checking where you actually are.

Been playing around with this mod the last two days, and I have to say it's working exactly as advertised.

Fun things I've done with this mod so far:

-Put a beacon in a circular orbit on the edge of Kerbin's SoI (60-70Mm) and warped to it for low(er) cost interplanetary transfers!

-Built a self-powered Jumpspace Tug parked in LKO that can attach to a ship and jump it from Kerbin to any Beacon in my jump network!

-Designed a compact, self-sustaining Beacon that I can tow with my ships to each new SoI, making return trips a cinch!

Can't wait to see the surface module working!

why does jump-charge have weight? It is not matter of any sort and is energy, it should not have weight enough to crush things.

I would assume the charge does not, but that the artificial black hole created (to bend space & time) does.

I don't care if this is a glitch or a feature, another thing that I noticed is that after fully activating the jump beacon, the ship that has it active has a really slow rotation, pitch and yaw. The reason I think this balances the jump drive even more is because if you want to do an easy docking, it's not possible to do the "turn both sips to each other than go forward" trick.

Downloaded!

I like the idea of keeping this an orbital only function. I would even say you should go so far as to prevent activation too close to a planetary mass. You could make it similar to the minimum altitude time warp restrictions for each planet. Makes it more like the Asimov jump drive from Foundation.

Yeah I'd say that slow rotation you mentioned is the Kraken or something similar. I certainly didn't program it.

BTW I still haven't recompiled this for 0.24 (procrastination), but I do intend to do so along with adding a few minor tweaks.

i love this mod. and i don't think it is that overpowered. you still have to unlock the technology and set up way points throughout the system.

Research Vehicle DSV Bilkis en route to Jool, towing the newly constructed JumpBeacon (the green thing behind the centrifuge) to be placed in Laythe Orbit.

index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=KnNjcmVlbnNob3QyOC5wbmcqNWJmODY3YzE4MjNiNThhZWM5ZGE2MzE0ZjUwM2JkZmU

Was playing around with this and it's nice! A few things occurred to me that might make it more balanced, though.

• Make a heavy, expensive resource for jump fuel, use it as a consumable on the departure end. This would make jumping costlier than the relatively paltry 10k charge it needs now.
  • Make jump drives a larger, costlier part, but allow a small craft beacon transponder to use a charged jump beacon when within 200m of it. Shamelessly knocking off EVE mechanics there.
  • Vary cost based on travel distance - long jumps should cost more than short hops. An exponential increase would not penalize short hops and would encourage some mindfulness about planetary alignment.

Edited by TMarkos

I sense someone is playing EVE on the side huh :D

Looks really awesome. If you haven't already are you going to give it its only Tech nodes to make it help expand on the already extremely inflated science system? (You can fill out all science simply using the Mun, a bit of Minmus, and contracts.. silliness :P)

Downloaded!

I like the idea of keeping this an orbital only function. I would even say you should go so far as to prevent activation too close to a planetary mass. You could make it similar to the minimum altitude time warp restrictions for each planet. Makes it more like the Asimov jump drive from Foundation.

This ++. No jumping too close to a gravity well, or you get Eaten by Things that live in hyperspace. :)

This ++. No jumping too close to a gravity well, or you get Eaten by Things that live in hyperspace. :)

I really hope that this doesnt get implemented...... I like the idea that this could be a quick way between planets and allows me to jump in between orbits quickly.

i agree with adding some other resource or something or making it take huge amounts of electricty like 100.000, seriously 10k is just too easy. especily with mods. with these ways jumpihng can be made harder but please... restrictions and uncertainties, ( no jumping if where or what or maybe you end up not in the place you want BS etc..) its just not how it works. although a simle electric charge increase to at least 50.000 , working surface jump module, better modelling and graphic designs is all that this mod needs, i m hoping for improvements on these subjects in 0.6

thanks again for the awesome mod.

i agree with adding some other resource or something or making it take huge amounts of electricty like 100.000, seriously 10k is just too easy. especily with mods. with these ways jumpihng can be made harder but please... restrictions and uncertainties, ( no jumping if where or what or maybe you end up not in the place you want BS etc..) its just not how it works. although a simle electric charge increase to at least 50.000 , working surface jump module, better modelling and graphic designs is all that this mod needs, i m hoping for improvements on these subjects in 0.6

thanks again for the awesome mod.

Considering the largest battery only has 4k, I think 10k is reasonable. I know mods make it easier but it makes it harder for people who only want to use this and stock if you make it take more power.

Considering the largest battery only has 4k, I think 10k is reasonable. I know mods make it easier but it makes it harder for people who only want to use this and stock if you make it take more power.

becouse its impossible to add 2 of them and some cheap light batteries. or some solar panels and you jump in 2 seconds

Eve-online inspired jump drives? Mhmmmm mesa likea dis, I also like the idea of the fuel requirement. I suggest ice mining for maybe nitrogen or helium isotopes. What? too much like eve-online mhmm well I have been playing off and on since 2004 and also own a dreadnought. The still picture does LOOK a lot like the effect of the jump drive in Eve-online and the Device that is used in Eve online is also called a Cynotsosural Field Generator or something very close. I've been unable to play eve-online for some time now due to poor money management.

I Will test out this mod, and will download it here soon May feature it in my twitch steam after I get thought the long list of mods I already toying around with.

Good idea.

True, I would also add:

1 Lighthouse should be located not less than, say, 10% of the border planets, satellites generally prohibited.

2 The ship should carry the same lighthouse, or jump from the vicinity of the current (1 - 10 km.).

3 between the entry point and exit point must not be obstructed. Otherwise HytlerCaput. That is, if in the midst of a planet or a satellite of the route of the ship remains tortilla.

Translated by Google from Russian.

Good idea.

True, I would also add:

1 Lighthouse should be located not less than, say, 10% of the border planets, satellites generally prohibited.

2 The ship should carry the same lighthouse, or jump from the vicinity of the current (1 - 10 km.).

3 between the entry point and exit point must not be obstructed. Otherwise HytlerCaput. That is, if in the midst of a planet or a satellite of the route of the ship remains tortilla.

Translated by Google from Russian.

we have the lighthouse , its called jump beacon which is alrleady included

for the 3rd part, you do know that jumping doesnt mean moving from point A to B in a straight line, so path obstruction is BS .

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.