[1.0.x; Part, Plugin] parameciumkid's Jump Drive 0.6 (compatibility update)

problemecium

I saw this mod in a video and decided to download it.When i want to take the folder inside gamedata.zip (also why make it .zip?) and i get a error message from WinRar: "Archive is in either unknown format or it is damaged).This happened to me before with other stuff so I redownloaded the mod and, again, same error. Can anyone please help me? I really need to get my space station modules in space without orbital rendezvous (is that how you spell it:confused:?) I have the perfect cheat rtg.

I saw this mod in a video and decided to download it.When i want to take the folder inside gamedata.zip (also why make it .zip?) and i get a error message from WinRar: "Archive is in either unknown format or it is damaged).This happened to me before with other stuff so I redownloaded the mod and, again, same error. Can anyone please help me? I really need to get my space station modules in space without orbital rendezvous (is that how you spell it:confused:?) I have the perfect cheat rtg.

Can you open the archive in the first place and get the error while extracting?

Usually this indicates a corrupt download and re-downloading should resolve the problem.

You could try to extract it with 7-zip or similar instead (if winRAR doesn't work for some reason).

If not, maybe try this instead:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43895961/GameData.rar

(It's just the GameDate folder with the mod nothing else, re-uploaded to DP by me)

Can you open the archive in the first place and get the error while extracting?

Usually this indicates a corrupt download and re-downloading should resolve the problem.

You could try to extract it with 7-zip or similar instead (if winRAR doesn't work for some reason).

If not, maybe try this instead:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43895961/GameData.rar

(It's just the GameDate folder with the mod nothing else, re-uploaded to DP by me)

I was getting the error while extracting from gamedata.zip. I *did* redownload it and same thing. But the dropbox link you gave with the GameData.rar worked for me,so thanks!

I was getting the error while extracting from gamedata.zip. I *did* redownload it and same thing. But the dropbox link you gave with the GameData.rar worked for me,so thanks!

Glad to help so you can use this awesome mod.

Something I'm currently working on with a JumpDrive and NearFuture parts:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ships can dock on the back (JumpDrive provides center of mass) or on the side and then jump with this vessel to a beacon.

Edited by Wosser1

There actually is kind of a cooldown - the jump drive currently consumes about 10,000 units of electric charge, and unless your ship has solar panels and RTGs out the wazoo it'll take a while to regenerate that. And failed jumps... well if I fixed all the bugs they shouldn't happen, but the ones that occurred while I was debugging did do that. In fact they not only messed with the active ship but with any other ships nearby - hence the safety warning in the part description. Due to KSP's vessel loading / unloading mechanics, it literally has destroyed nearby ships up to 200 meters away. One time it actually jumped by itself and left the rest of the ship behind xP

The "The part jumped by itself and left the rest of the ship behind" part of that sounds like something out of a halo book (and yes, i have played the games and read the books)

PARA-SCI JUMP DRIVE [WIP]

(Better name STILL in the works)

http://i.imgur.com/5hyaHMM.jpg

So, jump drives. The whole idea of warp and teleporting mods. We've all gone down the same train of thought by now and obviously the terms "OP" and "cheat" have shown up in there, so I'm not gonna pretend I'm not wading through that territory.

BUT! This isn't a complete game-breaking hack, nor was it ever meant to be. As I've played KSP, I've found that setting up colonies is a tedious job. Not only do I have to launch the base (and if it's on another planet, do the whole transfer window dance and wait 6 months while my poor Kerbals twiddle their thumbs), I have to expand and maintain it, which means running a series of missions, every single one of which will have to do the aforementioned transfer window dance. In summary, the stock game doesn't provide much incentive for setting up permanent outposts.

I could of course download a bunch of mods and mine for resources and build stuff, etc. etc. on the base, but in general I don't like changing the game mechanics too much via mods. I don't use a lot of mods myself, and the ones I do have are relatively minor.

Man this introduction is getting long. ANYWAY. I made a jump drive, but the unique feature of this thing is that to jump anywhere you have to have already been there and left something for the drive to target. With this plugin, there should be an incentive to set up outposts and a way to semi-easily get stuff out to them, e.g. more Kerbals, fuel, replacement rovers for the ones you crashed, etc.

DOWNLOAD (WITH SOURCE) (I haven't set up Curse yet): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13276416/KSP/JumpDrive.zip

Installation should be the same as with any other mod.

Instructions:

First, make sure there is a jump beacon somewhere in space:

- Launch a ship that includes a jump beacon part, e.g. the G-02 Cynotsosural Field Generator. Note that it will require a very large amount of electric charge!

- Once in a stable orbit, right-click the beacon and select "Activate" to activate the beacon.

The Jump Drive is activated via an action group or a context menu in flight.

After clicking "Activate", select a target from the list of beacons that appears, and the drive will start to charge.

When it has reached a full jump charge, it will teleport your ship to a location near the target vessel.

Before the jump completes, you can cancel it at any time using the "Cancel" button in the part's context menu.

The mod still being in development, this thread is for feedback and suggestions! Tell me what you guys think. As far as I know there aren't any other up-to-date jump drives out (unless you count HyperEdit), but let me know if anyone else is working on something like this.

Planned future features include [functional] surface-based receiving pads and an "advanced" beacon ring that can precisely position incoming ships where they can be easily docked (good for wrangling asteroids).

UPDATE: New models, textures, animations, and now SOUND EFFECTS!!!!1!!!!!11

http://imgur.com/a/YJCtH

MAN o man!

Is this what i have been looking for!

Sir this mod is too amazing!

Keep the updates coming!

Very keen to play with this one!

Regards

The Gecko

EDIT : played, worked like a charm, getting a orbiter from kerbin to mun with relatively low Delta-V. Next step is to try put something ON the surface. :D

Edited by Gecko99

If it would be at all possible to make a functional stargate with this that'd be amazing. Your awesome multiplier would probably increase by a solid ten if that happened.

I think it was stated before that is not (yet) really possible to have Kerbals safely travel through hyperspace, that is without a vessel.

Also see this post.

Good to see I still get some traffic here.

My apologies for kind of dropping the ball as far as "officially" updating to 0.24 or making the B-34m work; I've been a bit busy with some stuff.

Regarding the suggestions, I decided not to implement range-based cost, line-of-sight, or "assisted" jumps for nearby ships:

- If this were invented in real life, my guess is that it would involve entangled particles, which do not care about distance. You could jump 10 meters or 10 billion light years (as long as you had a beacon out there, lol) and it wouldn't make any difference.

- Likewise with line-of-sight. If you're in "hyperspace", a wormhole, etc., then physical objects like planets really don't have any effect on your ability to warp, especially if implemented as a jump rather than a linear warping movement.

- There are already mods for "Mass Relays" that can warp other objects, and I don't want to go competing for that same niche, the same way I didn't try to compete with Interstellar's Alcubierre Drive.

I'll consider a gravity well limitation of some kind. I might be able to get that working in some sort of elegant and non-frustrating fashion.

Good to see I still get some traffic here.

My apologies for kind of dropping the ball as far as "officially" updating to 0.24 or making the B-34m work; I've been a bit busy with some stuff.

Regarding the suggestions, I decided not to implement range-based cost, line-of-sight, or "assisted" jumps for nearby ships:

- If this were invented in real life, my guess is that it would involve entangled particles, which do not care about distance. You could jump 10 meters or 10 billion light years (as long as you had a beacon out there, lol) and it wouldn't make any difference.

- Likewise with line-of-sight. If you're in "hyperspace", a wormhole, etc., then physical objects like planets really don't have any effect on your ability to warp, especially if implemented as a jump rather than a linear warping movement.

- There are already mods for "Mass Relays" that can warp other objects, and I don't want to go competing for that same niche, the same way I didn't try to compete with Interstellar's Alcubierre Drive.

I'll consider a gravity well limitation of some kind. I might be able to get that working in some sort of elegant and non-frustrating fashion.

This is soon going to be my stock option for big interplanetary travel - soooo you'll get a lot of traffic here from me :P promise i wont be a pest! :P

The concept is amazing so please keep it alive, otherwise there will be a sad Gecko in orbit one day without his BSG style (FTL) Jump Drive :D

As i am yet to figure out how to optimize my warp drive jumps with KSPiL, this is my choice for ease of use :D

Regards

The Gecko

Edited by Gecko99

Will installing this mod halt my game's performance too much? I really like the concept of this, but I want to keep my game's speed at the highest possible.

It doesn't impact the game any more than an other mod. It just consists of the two parts and that's really it memory wise.

When jumping, there is an animation, but it's very minor.

Also, this is basically HyperEdit integrated in parts.

I found a bug. When jumping from launchpad with launch clamps kraken appears after teleport. However, doing so is really hard (until you use mod legs), because the super-heaviness of the jumpcharge rips the drive from joints, so idk is this worth fixing?

I found a bug. When jumping from launchpad with launch clamps kraken appears after teleport. However, doing so is really hard (until you use mod legs), because the super-heaviness of the jumpcharge rips the drive from joints, so idk is this worth fixing?

You know, warping when being attached to the surface of a planet or in atmosphere is never a good idea.

Anyway, just found this mod and I hope it's still being worked on. Jump drive seems like a nice end goal for career mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good mod. It's definitely not OP. Why? It's because it requires 4000 electric charge for ONE jump, the actual drive and beacon nodes are MASSIVE and you can't jump from the pad unless the drive is on the bottom because as it builds Jump Charge, it get seeeeeeriously heavy. I'm talking about kilotones and it will instantly crush your ship. But yeah this is a cool mod. Can I post a suggestion though?

I noticed there were rings inside the drive... It reminded me of Contact (1997)

:D. Anyway, have them spin much faster and include a sound effect of electrical build up or some sort of "wubwubwub" that increases in tempo/pitch. If there is already a sound effect, sorry, I didn't notice it :c

Also, add a 1.25m part variant where there are rings that look kind of like the interstellar warpdrives. Those look quite intriguing.

One last thing on which I think is most important. Add a variable where it calculates the JumpCharge needed to go a specific distance. If there is a beacon in orbit, I don't want to have to carry (up to) 8 solar panals or 4 sets of 2.5m batteries just to get to orbit. I personally think that the device should have to charge more or less depending on the distance that needs to be travelled.

I have launched from the runway with the jumpdrive with little trouble.

Also this mod is NOT like hyperedit as you MUST have a beacon at the sight you want to jump too and BOTH the drive and beacon need to be charged witch does take time and a resource to do.

I Really love this mod and will revisit it once more after i finish my mod list. But seeing how close 0.25 is I may have to wait for the whole update hype to finish before I can finalize the mod list.

I only just discovered this mod today, and it's great to see that the developer at least hasn't completely dropped the project. (I understand when things get in the way. Happens with my writing all the time.) I would also like to say that I too am running into the pad not working. One other bug: I'm not sure how it happened, but after attempting to launch back to the pad, which I had placed on Kerbin, the beacon that I had placed in orbit around Kerbin, suddenly dropped to 0.0m/s. I don't know if it happened right when I tried, or when I switched back to the space station. Also, while the beacon is charging/charged, the orbit speed slowly drops anyway.

Edit: Whatever the problem with the orbit degrading was, it's not doing it know.

Edited by GrnTigr

4000 Ec? Peanuts. Throw the NFT mods into the question it becomes impossible to balance this, so don't take this as a suggestion of any kind. 1.25m stack capacitor has 8000 units stored charge so there's your jump charge. Two OKEB-500 panels draw 1000 Ec/s. I will enjoy abusing the crap out of that combo.

:wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.