[1.0.x; Part, Plugin] parameciumkid's Jump Drive 0.6 (compatibility update)

problemecium

I haven't updated it for 1.0 or tested the existing version in 1.0, so for the time being consider it "not to be trusted" as far as 1.0 is concerned. People are welcome to try it out, but I hereby disclaim all responsibility for it summoning the Kraken. ;P

I've been sort of busy, so while this is still not abandoned (I'm serious! Believe me! xP), the 1.0 compatibility patch is coming "soonTM".

Before you update to 1.0, can you please release the next patch for 0.90? I would really like to see the jump pads work in my current KSP (which is playing with mods that have not updated to 1.0 yet). Also, is there any way for you to fix the random exploding of near objects when you jump?

Edited by elijahlorden

I mentioned before that I'm planning on just removing the jump pads altogether until such time as I figure out a good way to teleport from an orbiting state to a landed state (something deceptively hard). As far as random explosions, that sounds like a proper bug. Can you please tell me more about what specifically happens, and whether KSP.log is mentioning any exceptions?

I've tested this on 1.0. And so far, it works like a charm except for one VAB bug: The bottom stack node for both the beacon and jump warp parts is glitched. As in, if you attach a standard part to the underside of either warp part, it will end up a bit above the actual stack node, winding up inside the warp part. And the part you just attached will have no attach nodes by itself, any other parts you add will end up in the same glitched stack node from the warp part.

There are two workarounds for this. The first, and most lengthy one involves using the Offset tool to push each part underneath others. It's tiresome, however, and thanks to this tool's imprecision, some parts will have to either stay phasing with another one, or hovering a few centimeters or millimeters between each other.

The second involves taking a part that can both be added radially and in stacks, and place it radially around the warp part you're using. Then, use the first method to put it under the warp part. This new part will have working attachment nodes(assuming you didn't place it into the glitched stack node), so you can easily put other things under it.

I've tested this on 1.0. And so far, it works like a charm except for one VAB bug: The bottom stack node for both the beacon and jump warp parts is glitched. As in, if you attach a standard part to the underside of either warp part, it will end up a bit above the actual stack node, winding up inside the warp part. And the part you just attached will have no attach nodes by itself, any other parts you add will end up in the same glitched stack node from the warp part.

There are two workarounds for this. The first, and most lengthy one involves using the Offset tool to push each part underneath others. It's tiresome, however, and thanks to this tool's imprecision, some parts will have to either stay phasing with another one, or hovering a few centimeters or millimeters between each other.

The second involves taking a part that can both be added radially and in stacks, and place it radially around the warp part you're using. Then, use the first method to put it under the warp part. This new part will have working attachment nodes(assuming you didn't place it into the glitched stack node), so you can easily put other things under it.

The actual problem is that the bottom node's definition says that its orientation points into the spacecraft. For example, the beacon part's config defines the bottom node as follows:

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.9, 0.0, 0.0, [COLOR=#ff0000][B]1.0[/B][/COLOR], 0.0, 2

It should be:

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.9, 0.0, 0.0, [COLOR=#0000cd][B]-1.0[/B][/COLOR], 0.0, 2

I mentioned before that I'm planning on just removing the jump pads altogether until such time as I figure out a good way to teleport from an orbiting state to a landed state (something deceptively hard). As far as random explosions, that sounds like a proper bug. Can you please tell me more about what specifically happens, and whether KSP.log is mentioning any exceptions?

What about instead of a landed state it is a flying state and the craft is needed to have something to safely bring it to the surface? Just a suggestion for a workaround till the orbiting to landing state bug is fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

By exploding I mean when I jump when I am near another vehicle or station, It bursts apart. I switched back to find that my orbital resources station was in pieces. No exceptions in the log file. Also, for the jump pad, can't you just teleport it like the drive and then match velocity with the other pad?

^ That's the first thing I tried. Something goes wrong with KSP's attempt to "turn on" Physics that close to the ground while in an "orbiting" state and long story short the ship explodes.

Once again I encourage testing the Jump Drive in 1.0, but please for the love of the Kraken don't go trying to use it in your important Career saves ;)

^ That's the first thing I tried. Something goes wrong with KSP's attempt to "turn on" Physics that close to the ground while in an "orbiting" state and long story short the ship explodes.

Once again I encourage testing the Jump Drive in 1.0, but please for the love of the Kraken don't go trying to use it in your important Career saves ;)

My theory on this, from my own experiments, is that it has to do with a loss of precision in the transition between rails and unpacked states. I know there's been a lot of adjustment to introduce local frames of reference to do away with floating-point krakens for things far out from the universal origin point, and I believe that when you're unpacked that frame is very local to your current ship. When you pack up the ship while warping on the ground, it maintains that shifted reference frame and takes special care to avoid unpleasant ground-ship interactions. When you are in the orbital frame, though, it doesn't anticipate ground interaction (because, really, who would?) and doesn't take precautions to avoid them. It's using the less precise planetary sphere of reference to describe on-rails orbital vessels, which can cause a slight jump in the ship's position. Not noticeable in orbit, but when you suddenly shift half a centimeter into the ground it's VERY noticeable.

UPDATE!!!

The Para-Sci Jump Drive is now officially compatible with KSP 1.0.2!

This is, unfortunately, not the major update I'd planned but instead a small compatibility patch. The art pass is postponed until KSP's Unity 5 migration is complete and I can make use of Unity 5 shaders for the jump effect.

Changes:

- Recompiled using 1.0.2 API

- The Jump Drive is now nice and supplies a small amount of electric charge when the jump finishes so that unmanned ships won't find themselves dead in the water.

- Jumping is a violent event, and as such it will now tear fragile parts such as extended solar panels clean off the ship! Make sure to prepare for this by retracting them; it is also wise to include a backup power source such as OX-STATs or RTGs.

- Jump Pad removed as people kept complaining about it not working. It may be added back in the next update if I can find a way to make it work.

- It is no longer possible to slowly charge up the jump drive using solar panels. Either a reserve of at least 10,000 units of ElectricCharge or a powerful generator able to produce at least 5,500 units per second must be present, or the jump will fail.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I was just thinking about what a Jump Drive mod might look like and then I searched and found this. Admittedly I have not read all 27 pages... yet, but in the process I though of ideas for features that might go well with your mod.

I had not thought of the jump beacons, but its a great idea. In the way I was thinking about it, you could enter an orbit for the jump with a UI along the lines of hyperedits orbit picker; however, there would be a decent chance that you missed and your orbit got messed up. You would then have to have an adaptable craft to fix what ever went wrong. Now if the beacons are the accurate way to pull off a jump, then this non-beacon way to jump could have a really high, cascading failure rate. So you would succeed maybe only half the time, and half the time something would go wrong. When it wrong, half the time it would go wrong by a 25% deviation in your orbital parameters, and half the time it would be even worse. The next halves in the cascade would be 50% and 100% deviations, and the last half would be to switch your orbit parameters onto another body.

Another idea was to include an unfocused jump capability. The idea would be to perform (an optionally quicker, lower EC charged) jump that would take you to a completely random place in the system. I think this would be a cool way to end up in a random situation.

Finally, when I was imagining it, the electrical charge the drive needed to store would be quite large, something like 1 million EC, but would build up over time. I see you recently moved away from a charge over time model, but I don't know what your EC charge requirements were before. What were you thoughts on the switch?

Actually I didn't switch - all along I intended the Drive to simply require a massive momentary injection of power, but I found that some people reviewing it on YouTube were foregoing the charge requirement simply charging it really slowly. Thus I adjusted the code to prevent this and enforce the originally designed behavior.

So, saw this mod while looking for a jump drive mod, and this one is certainly what I'm looking for. Problem: I'm on .90, and the latest available copy of the mod is for 1.0.2. Lets see what happens when I mix the two together.

EDIT: it works! Just did a jump test to Jool. Now to set up a Beacon network.

Edited by Cyrious

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
No, I think that's something else. This has beacons and a jump drive, and is a standalone mod, but does not include a warp drive.

This is looking better anyways, as it only requires electricity instead of annoying karbo crap.

EDIT: Just tested it, this is the simple warp drive everyone wants! I do think the electricity amounts could be increase, with NEAR Future this is very easy to deal with!

EDIT2: Question - can you go from static beacon to static beacon with existing ships?

EDIT3: Nope, you can't. However, that would be a good feature!

This mod is so awesome. I could add the beacon module to space stations so doing logistics isn't such a pain in the far future of my space program :)

Edited by MarcAlain

You can. Did you wait for the ElectricCharge to recharge?

Ok so just to be clear, you're saying you can take a ship without any of your parts attached, and go from one beacon to another? How is that supposed to work? I don't see how this mod supports that. Seems you have to have the jump drive for the ship to be capable of jumping to a cyno.

Edited by MarcAlain

Yes, that is true. I thought you were wondering if a ship with a jump drive only got to jump one time.

A ship can jump as many times as you like, but it does require a jump drive to be attached. A ship without one cannot jump anywhere, including between two beacons - the beacons are not mass relays.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.