[1.0.x; Part, Plugin] parameciumkid's Jump Drive 0.6 (compatibility update)

problemecium

Since three people have suggested this now, here's why I didn't make it a mass relay: someone else is doing it already (See above posts by The Destroyer and frizzank). Also, while cool extra goodies are cool, I'd rather add as little complexity as possible; I dunno about everyone else but I like simple mods so I can install the stuff I want without getting a bunch of extra stuff or changing KSP into a different game. If the mass relay project should happen to get abandoned, I may add an extra part that acts as one, but there are no plans to do so at present.

And as a workaround to the model bug, for now please use the model.mu and .mbm files from the jump beacon (copy them and overwrite the ones in the drive folder). I didn't change those since the last working version so they should work as advertised.

What the mod does need, and I'm assuming this is in the works, is that the List needs to only pull up valid beacons.

Otherwise, works nicely.

I've already placed several Hyperspace Beacons and I'll be expanding my network to Every planet in the system, plus a low solar orbit and 'Beyond Eeloo' position.

Otherwise, this mod doesn't need much added special functionality. Maybe some VFX and audio...

Update bump again!

Fixed the texture bug - yay!

Fixed the collider bug causing editor problems - yay!

Added an animation - yay! (A basic one at least. I wanna toss in some gratuitous energy effects if I can)

Check out the new spinning rings animation and emissive effect: clipbo19.jpg

Also you can now push buttons on the jump beacons that say they turn them on and off but actually do nothing xP

Edited by parameciumkid

Just wanted to drop you a note to say thanks. I've always wanted a mod that would let me do "Battlestar Galactica" style "jumps", once I got far enough down the tech tree (kinda like Intersteller, but without so much overhead). Kudos.

Idea that I haven't fully fleshed out yet: Incorporating the idea of jump computers other than the spool time of the drive itself. I was thinking that somehow you could incorporate this idea into the tech tree nodes leading up to the drive itself. Ie, you "develop" xyz science part at some point, which must be used to gather jump data (IE, you have to take the think and run it to both moons or something), then another that needs to be sent IP. Finally develop a jumpcomputer leading to the drive itself.

Then when you want to make a jump, you have to use the computer to do something, once it's done, you can jump. (Did you happen to watch either the original or new versions of Battlestar?).

Anyway, good mod, thanks.

Broken. Sorry to say, but you can't select the jump drive, so 1:you can't select the drive to move it around in the editor once placed and 2:That also means you can't set it up with action groups or select it in flight to work it.

This seems to be due to the fact it has no selection box...?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice work and greets from germany.

There are different variations in science fiction literature for this...

Babylon 5

-ship based engine (enough mass and own jumpdrive required)

-station based (jumpgate for small ships)

-energy powered

-time required to travel

-travel trough alternate dimension (hyperspace)

-free selection of entry points for large ships (space only)

-free selection of reentry points (space only)

Battlestar Galactica

-ship based engine (FTL)

-time to recharge

-energy and fuel powered

-instant travel

-capable of jumps in gravity and atmosphere

-free selection of entry and reentry points

Dune

-ship based engine (Holtzman drive folds space at the quantum level)

-energy powered

-instant travel

-navigator requires resource (spice)

-free selection of entry and reentry points (space only)

-using in atmosphere can result in extremely destructive effects

Stargate

-station based

-energy powered

-instant travel

-fixed entry and reentry points

Star Trek

-ship based engine (warpdrive)

-energy powered (mostly)

-travel throug alternate dimension (subspace)

-time required to travel

-free travelvector needed to target

-free selection of entry and reentry points (space only)

Star Wars

-ship based engine (hyperdrivemotivator)

-fuel powered

-time required to travel

-travel trough alternate dimension (hyperspace)

-free travelvector needed to target

-free selection of entry and reentry points (less or zero g zones only)

With regard to doability (programmability, realism, balancing, etc) I would prefer a mixed solution like this:

1) Planet based Stargate

- fixed position

- energy consumption: (activation energy per mass) + (energy per traveldistance)

- limited inside diameter of 3m (or maybe 2,25m) for rover/probe/kerbal use

- Problem: how to check diameter of vesels before entering (capsule system maybe like fairings)

- gate needs to be transported to destination first

- minimum functional spacing between 2 gates of 50.000 km (or something in relation to Pi) to prevent journeys from kerbin to mun/minmus but allow journeys between mun and minmus sometimes

- also limits 1 gate per planet

2) Hyperengine

- energy consumption: (activation energy per mass) + (energy per traveldistance) + (energy per perbal per traveldistance)

- zero g capsule required per kerbal to compensate acceleration effects

- not usable in atmosphere

- only usable in regions of low g forces (local gravity less than 1m/s²)

- traveling only between beacons/jumpgates

- minimum travel distance

- recharge time

- jump only when speed is 0.1m/s or less in relation to beacon

I hope there are some ideas for you in it.WebRep

Overall rating

WebRep

Overall rating

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it still works in 0.23.5

Two suggestions for the mod:

1. Only show targets with beacons in the jumplist, it's a little bit annoying after the ARM update (because all the asteroids show up aswell), and if you have a lot of missions going on it can get messy :)

2. A config option to use different (and maybe more than one) ressource to activate the jumpdrive. I had the KSPI-ressources in mind, like Exotic Matter or Antimatter to initiate the jump.

Otherwise great work! :)

• 5 weeks later...

By "right" I take it you mean "install it and you can sue it right off the bat without any confusion whatsoever about the broken state of some parts of the mod which cannot be reproduced effectively on all systems" I'd say... not really. "Right" just isn't the... uhh... right word for the job.

I actually have a new version on my own installation which I have debugged (e.g. it does only list targets that have a beacon, and beacons can be activated). I just haven't got around to posting it yet. Version 0.5 is going to be a relatively large revision, featuring a new model and texture for the drive and hopefully one or two sound effects, so that it actually feels like you've activated this big dangerous teleporter thing of doom.

Glad to hear people are still interested!

These parts and the plugin itself works right

If they worked right, then you'd actually get something activating when you activated it. As it is, that doesn't happen correctly. Thus, the parts and plugin do not work "right." That said, I'm sure some parts of it do work to a certain extent. I am happy to hear that a new version is being developed.

By "right" I take it you mean "install it and you can sue it right off the bat without any confusion whatsoever about the broken state of some parts of the mod which cannot be reproduced effectively on all systems" I'd say... not really. "Right" just isn't the... uhh... right word for the job.

hmm sue it you say, well i better get my lawyers ready...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.