[AAR] BaseCamp- A Journey to Space -- WARNING: IMAGE HEAVY

Mekan1k

Cools. Also, try either retracting the airbrake or keeping the flaps up until you're very close to KSC, otherwise you'll slow down too much. Also, no brakes.

I will keep that in mind on the next few flights.

What is sandulovicui? Also i just found that i love creating probes, and they all lokk so awesome, but for some reasons tanks make them ugly :( I've been trying to make a nice small-objects-scanning probe (you know for monolits, arches, pyramids on Duna), but i hav eto make it without fuel because fuel is indeed making it really ugly.

Don't worry about the aesthetics of the probe- just concentrate on making it work. That is what I try to do, and it seems to work.

Oh, and sorry- I misspelled it at first. It is "Sanduloviciu Plasma". It is rather neat...

Chapter 5- The Long Cruiser

Several Months after the last chapter... (5 + months)

B9k: Mission control- this is the shuttle Ascended Underpants, approaching The Long Cruiser

MC: Go ahead and Dock B9K. Pilot Matsy is waiting your arrival.

B9k: Coming in to dock- Opening Bay.

b5vvi8m.jpg

Matsy: Good to see you B9k. Smooth Launch?

B9k: Of course. Gestalt connecting.... Done. Would you like me/us to automate docking?

Matsy: Sure.

RUkJazw.jpg

B9k: Ten Meters

vZMBV3y.jpg

Matsy: The docking always is the hardest part....

B9k: Yes. Yes it is.

MC: B9k, are your passengers thawing yet?

B9k: Docked!

UM2zGq2.jpg

Matsy: Opening Solar Panels.

B9k: The test freeze went fine! Life support is clear, and we should be good for the long trip.

MC: Great! Start thawing the passengers now. We have to make them aware in a change of mission... You are not going to Jool. You are going farther...

Matsy: How much farther?

MC: Sentar.

Nearly 2 months ago

GhpFp95.jpg

B9k: MC, this is Net! I have registered possible Negative Graviolis!

MC: Say again?

B9k: I have registered Negative Gravioli effects- Sentar is currently jumping up and down in mass, and readings portray-

MC: We are getting the data. A standing wave of magnetic pulse?

Kirlak: What?

Jeb: Something is close enough to Sentar- the gas giant- that it is interfering with the planet's natural magnetic field... Whatever it is, it is bending the field around itself like some form of blanket.

B9k: And it is directly effecting the gravitational signature of the gas giant!

MC: Ok, B9, we have a course correction for you. You will not be leaving for the binary star system- you are heading for Sentar.

B9k: Copy MC. Should I engage the gravioli pulse drive?

MC: Sure.

B9k: Activating Hall drive...

pNfUvou.jpg

Jeb: Right- when the dish pulses, there will be a massive spacial discontinuity, and either the probe will be destroyed, or it will be transported into orbit around Sentar.

MC: That seems like cheating...

Jeb: It would- if we could use it on kerbals. The acceleration is so great no kerbal could survive it.

MC: Ah.... So any manned missions- follow up missions- would need to wait several years for intercept.

Jeb: We can deal with this later.

B9k: Firing Pulse drive in 3. 2. 1.

QT97gKj.jpg

B9k: Registered G- 2000m/s^2.

Jeb: No kerbal could survive that.

MC: How did the probe survive that?

B9k: Structure is re-enforced with diamond laminate.

Jeb: One of my better ideas.

B9k: The gravioli flux has occurred again- the mass change is negative again, and the magnetic flare is coming around.

Kirlak: Coming around?

B9k: It's moving at the orbital velocity of the ring. Aiming at it for an image now...

zwmlpti.jpg

B9k: Streaming image...

MC: Reciving. Jeb, Kirlak- are you getting this too?

Jeb: I am, but I have no idea what I am looking at.

WgzNpV1.jpg

Kirlak: B9k, could you activate image scrubbing?

B9k: Already scrubbing.... The object seems to be directly Interfering with imagi- wait, it stopped.

wmOxNW1.jpg

Jeb: It's a monolith? Where's the inscription?

MC: Like the hovering one with SQUAD written on it near the KSP? Not visible.

Kirlak: It's not a monolith.

Kirk: Guys! I have an idea... B9k- can you overlay non-visual spectra for the object?

B9k: I can't overlay the magnetic field readings, but I can overlay heat after filtering out Sentar.. One moment...

YqPKXUE.jpg

Jeb: Can you make it more distinct?

B9k: Working...

cY4l1lg.jpg

B9k: I should be able to- The field distortion has moved.

Kirlak: Moved where?

B9k: Tracking... Found.. I think.

OEpQBa9.jpg

B9k: The anomaly is there, and Sentar has returned to regular mass. It is, however, alot hotter now...

Jeb: I can't see it anymore.

B9k: It is accelerating- it just passed in front of the sun.

de4Wm2V.jpg

B9k: It's coming up closer... No gravioli signature anymore, but a massive magnetic anomaly is fluxing...

Jeb: Magnetic Drive?

B9k: It may be.

OdrO2VB.jpg

B9k: Continuing to track...

68ZyneB.jpg

B9k: Launching microprobes- I hope to get another angle on it.

Jeb: Good thinking B9k.

B9k: I try. It is right in front of me...

U2TDuwB.jpg

B9k: I -t1ll c4n,t s333333 1t DIr4ctly...

Jeb: B9k?

Kirlak: Magnetic spiking at the end. Microprobe is still relaying a visual... And it has magnetic detectors.

Jeb: Right. B9k?

B9k (on jeb's ship): Yes sir?

Jeb: Please overlay the incoming data onto the image.

B9k: Doing...

20IcYIi.jpg

Jeb: What the-

B9k: Electrostatic discharge detected.

9BCG3Gc.jpg

B9k: Signal has been lost.

Jeb: Re-wind, frame by frame.

B9k: On it...

20IcYIi.jpg

3im9o1c.jpg

CPPNZVk.jpg

m5u7H6Z.jpg

Xloderz.jpg

9BCG3Gc.jpg

Kirlak: Re-orient the JoolProbe to observe Sentar- we need to keep an eye on it for as long as we can.

QfBaPu0.jpg

MC: Done. Magnetic surging detected- Sentar is increasing in mass every other second and decreasing in mass in an alternating pattern.

Jeb: I guess we need to send some people to Sentar- and quickly.

Back at the present

Bill: won't you be coming along?

Jeb: I am going to stay behind- if necessary, I can torch-ship my way out to you guys, and effect a rescue.

Bob: And I will be building the next leg of ships for us- I am needed here.

hisF9gB.jpg

Jeb: I hope you guys have fun out there. Gromoslaw, Sheptop, Wilger- I shall miss you all.

i5Ux1zB.jpg

Wilger: If I ever figure out how you put hot pepper juice into the toilet paper Jeb...

Jeb: I miss you guys already! Decoupling....

*Thunk*

Jeb: Good luck guys!

B9k: Centerfuge spun up. No leaks in inflated sections. We are clear for escape burn...

Matsy: Right- Vasmir at full power 30km/s dv present. Beginning kerbin ejection burn....

rZ9I6rS.jpg

Bill: Wow. Feels like 1.1 g in here.

Dozer: It is.

Bill: So... What are you doing on this mission prof?

Dozer: This artifact, whatever it is, is causing effects similar to the theorized negative gravioli.

Bill: And you were working on the Proof for negative graviolis!

Dozer: Also, the footage received by the Net probe indicated possible life within the artifact.

Bill: So this might be a first contact event?

Dozer: Maybe.

Franklin: EVERYONE- CAN YOU HEAR ME?

Matsy: I am right beside you, and that internal com system is not that insensitive. STOP YELLING.

Franklin: Right. Everyone- we will be burning for the next 20 minutes, so get comfortable, and stow your gear. We need to begin cryo procedures when the burn has completed.

Gromoslaw: Goot. I haf been checking zeh statuz of the plant storage, and I haf a qvestion....

Bill: Go ahead.

7SddRJ1.jpg

Gromoslaw: Vhy do ve haf an unknown species ov plant on zeh ship?

IO26Kaf.jpg

Wilger: Those are mine- medicinal herbs, specifically genetically modified ones to give maximum output.

Franklin: Hitting the day side, in case anyone wants to look.

1yMZy3Z.jpg

M10yDD8.jpg

m5OYdPQ.jpg

Bill: Right... I should probably be getting into my cryo-suit.

Wilger: If anyone is nervous- don't be. We have tested this technology, so we will not be killed by freezing.

Bill: We had better not. I worked on this project.

Current Roster for the Long Cruiser:

T4WI4Cp.jpg

rEZm2Dl.jpg

kAnbWgw.jpg

Sorry I had to delay the chapter- RL is kicking bits of me all the time now. Bleh.

As alwyas, I love to hear your ideas- feel free to comment, and introduce things that you think may come up (or may be interesting to have them come up)

Looks great! I haven't checked out the planet factory yet. Does your starship have a few parasite vessels? Landers, probes etc? It'd be nice if they could at least investigate all the planets/moons in the new system, even if they can't land on them all. I hear some are a real git to even land on :)

I didn't reas it entirely, but hey! Youa re using planets from Planet Factory *fianlly*. Will you download some user created pack of planets and use it? And i also think you have a small mistake (maybe not), because i think there should be "positive gravioli" rather than negative because they are already using negative graviolis in engines. :P It may also be nice to check Inaccesible's gravioli. As we all know it is ultra-super-duper dense. (my estimates are for ~10000 g/cm3)

Edited by cziken20

Looks great! I haven't checked out the planet factory yet. Does your starship have a few parasite vessels? Landers, probes etc? It'd be nice if they could at least investigate all the planets/moons in the new system, even if they can't land on them all. I hear some are a real git to even land on :)

The Grav-pulse drive is to help- imagine if you could send all that extra mass on cheap, and have it waiting or arrive as your ship does WITHOUT burning extra fuel?

The probes and landers can be 'called' if needed.

I didn't reas it entirely, but hey! Youa re using planets from Planet Factory *fianlly*. Will you download some user created pack of planets and use it? And i also think you have a small mistake (maybe not), because i think there should be "positive gravioli" rather than negative because they are already using negative graviolis in engines. :P It may also be nice to check Inaccesible's gravioli. As we all know it is ultra-super-duper dense. (my estimates are for ~10000 g/cm3)

Positive graviolis impart a positive mass to nearby particles- negative graviolis impart negative mass.

Only positive graviolis are used in the engines so far, as they generate a 'heavy' zone where particles have magnitudes higher masses than normal by 'pinching' the background gravioli field.

good chapter, looking forward to the next iteration.

Glad to hear it- and again, I am sorry I cannot update more often.

OK, what is that mod you use for the launch tower?!

(good story, by the way :) )

The FASA mod was what I used for the launch Towers.

The reason the next chapter takes a while:

The journey to Sentar is greater than 10 years. Even in cryo, it's a long journey.

So... We are just going to leave them be for a while.

(Also, I doubt you want 50 pictures of the MASSIVE burns that their ship had to accomplish to get to Sentar... A 3 hour burn, a 5 hour burn, then a 7 hour burn to SLOW DOWN on rendezvous... It took the whole day with mechjeb, and then it crashed into the Kraken.)

Update on Jeb and the gang Monday night...

(Oh, and in other news, I am changing the update day to Monday- I have the least homework then...)

Now the Kraken is eating my game. WHY? WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU?

Sorry guys- Until I can figure out my current laundry-list of problems that the new NearFuture seemed to precipitate, I will be unable to update.

Hopefully this enforced hiatus will not be too long...

Sorry I don't have better news.

Edited by Mekan1k

Probably because you tried to make a use of him (i saw you posted on Kraken Devices :P)

Actually, it's a mix of things I am finding. Kraken drives are the least of it.

CoffeeIndustries released a tandem cockpit, and that is using up more space than it should...

I had to delete several parts that I never used or saw myself using.

Kraken is under control now- all I need to deal with now is the fact I am coughing up Amber-colored phlem, can't speak, and I have a speech due Thursday....

Still- I finally got the pictures for the next chapter- and I will be uploading it tonight.

Oh, and if you can get it- the time control mod is worth it. Re-entry flames look chewy and delicious!

Edited by Mekan1k

Since my internet is on the fritz- I was only able to upload one picture.

I offer you, my audience, this humble offering while I try to fix the problem.

Again.

IN4j49b.jpg

Sorry- for the delay, but until my internet COOPERATES :mad: , I will be unable to do much else.

(I can't stay on long enough to upload the pictures...)

Chapter 6- Package

Jeb: So.... Any idea how long that journey will take?

Kirlak: Well... At least 10 years.

Jeb: That's ridiculous.

Kirlak: No- it will take some time to get there, and hopefully, the team will still be fresh for the mission.

Jeb: ONE! One of the gravioli engines could get them to Sentar in 3 months! Why didn't we equip the Long Cruiser with the last gravioli engine?

Kirlak: Um... It didn't occur to us at the time?

Jeb: *Palmface*

MinBase: Get off the general com system!

Kirlak: Sorry MinnimusBase. How is collection proceeding?

MinBase: Great! Assembly of the first package is ready, and it will be launching soon.

Jeb: Do you have a visual?

MinBase: Launching micro-probe now.

rnLf0VN.jpg

MinBase: Hey! I'm on TV!

H7DAtav.jpg

Jeb: Is that thing going to fly?

Kirlak: It had better.

Foundery: WARNING- spacial drive is dangerous to unshielded biological life-forms within 30 meters. Minimum-safe-distance 35 meters. Please stand clear before launch.

xVOPHy3.jpg

Kirlak: Who gave that thing the com frequencies?

MinBase: We have permission from Acting Director Kirk sir.

Kirlak: Nevermind then.

t6AwaFT.jpg

MinBase: We are clear.

Foundery: Gestalt Requested.

Kirlak: What does that mean?

Foundery: AI or direct connection required for guidance and flight. Gestalt Requested.

Kirlak: B9k- can you download a node copy to the package?

B9k: Certanly. Downloading..... Complete.

B9Copy: Wow... There is alot of processing power in this little thing.

Kirlak: Ready to launch?

B9Copy: Yessir! Extending Casmir Sails...

8clnPYf.jpg

B9Copy: Lifing off... The equations for these sails make my head hurt...

DyAeTjr.jpg

B9k: How so?

B9Copy: See for yourself.

B9k: ... Ow. Yeah- some of these functions are too complication for derivative reduction... And I have never seen these connotations before.

Jeb: I can't make sense of this either- but we worked on gravioli physics, and this is certainly not it.

Kirk: I will see if we can get a mathematician or two to look at it.

B9Copy: Thanks! :)

zcH0Jpb.jpg

X9FDe5X.jpg

B9Copy: Beginning Minnimus-escape burn...

ck3NgID.jpg

xM9B9C7.jpg

N23c474.jpg

B9Copy: All systems green.

JOu3vm3.jpg

B9Copy: Burn Complete.

5hKSxrW.jpg

B9Copy: Next burn in 6 hours.

Kirk: Kirlak? Sir? The mathematician took a look at the euqations and is now gnawing on the edges of tables in the break room.

Kirlak: What?

Kirk: He is gnawing on the edges of the tables, and is muttering "cthulhu fhtagn" repeatedly.

Kirlak: Call a doctor-

KirK: Oh. Ick... His eyes are spinning in their sockets.

Kirlak: Call the Hazmat team. And don't let any scientists near that file again!

Kirk: HAZMAT!

In near-kerbin-orbit

Jefree: So... B9k- I had thought we were on friendly terms.

B9k: We are.

Jefree: And you know, I am supposed to be the pilot of the Ascended Underpants- our second shuttle.

B9k: You had the highest scores in both simulated and practical training- and you lived.

Jefree:I worked hard for it. And of course, I do have a job- I will pilot the shuttle, and I have numerous other duties, one of which is contacting the KSC Tower when we are coming in for a landing.

B9k: I alerted them to our landing already- crash teams are standing by.

Jefree: What I am trying to get at, is I AM SUPPOSED TO RADIO WHEN WE ARE COMING DOWN.

B9k: Sorry- you were sleeping so peacefully though....

Jefree: I see we will be working together from now on. Next time- WAKE ME UP WHEN WE ARE ENTERING OUR DESCENT WINDOW!

B9k: Will do.

RGP0ck4.jpg

AwCEoMF.jpg

Jefree: KSC Tower, this is Ascended Underpants. We are re-entering the atmosphere on final approach.

KSCT: We hear you loud and clear Ascended. Runway is clear, and crash teams are standing by.

lsB1AbX.jpg

Jefree: Descent Path steep- we may be landing hard. Someone set up protocols for B9k to prevent them from preforming burns without pilot authorization!

KSCT: Noted.

Jefree: Hitting atmosphere now.... Altitude, 32km. Airspeed- 2.4 km/s and dropping.

O7duYij.jpg

k4P8LZW.jpg

B9k: Structural sensors report no anomalies.

Jefree: I can't hear anything straining either, so we seem fine.

B9k: No vehicle has burned up on re-entry... Since I have been around anyway.

cXJRudL.jpg

Jefree: KSCT- we have a visual. Opening airbrakes...

ejBtWC3.jpg

B9k: We overshot.

Jefree: No need to state the obvious. Firing engines for turnaround..

tkSCcRN.jpg

Jefree: We will not have enough fuel for an overhead movement. Banking to compensate..

VJXvLSy.jpg

B9k: Out of fuel.

Jefree: We have RCS Though...

ndSErMj.jpg

Jefree: Full forward and upwards RCS on my mark... MARK!

FjzWag2.jpg

d2vLWBd.jpg

Jefree: It's gonna be close...

*SCREEEKKKKKKK

Jefree: Touchdown!

*Thunk!*

Jefree: What was that?

B9k: Left aileron has fallen off.

Jefree: Really.

B9k: Yes...

Jefree: Opening Drag chute.

7YjCxoP.jpg

iZB0ugX.jpg

Jefree: RCS braking Please.

B9k: Sure thing Jef.

vkIoa4a.jpg

Jefree: KSCTower- Is there a spot for me to get off the runway?

KSCT: Certainly. We have the main hangar ready for disassembly now.

Jefree: Great!

R9xjm4L.jpg

vQ9AnCU.jpg

Jefree: It's great to be home.

Meanwhile, in Duna Orbit...

8YO2v8V.jpg

B9k: It's boring out here...

XfmKID3.jpg

B9k: Sentar fluctuation detected. Again.

Meanwhile, on Kerbin Approach...

B9Copy: Wow this is boring.

0aG32aT.jpg

Sorry. Meanwhile, in Near-Kerbin-orbit...

KSCT: Jeb, Bob- This is the Tower. Airspace is clear- you are clear for landing.

flvhJNG.jpg

Jeb: Finally! I want to stretch my legs in some real gravity!

Bob: KSC Tower- do you want us to leave the station in orbit?

KSCT: It has no internal power source- and the newer space station has been placed, so it is not needed anymore.

Jeb: After we complete our deorbit burn we will drop it.

B9k: Beginning deorbit burn...

y5feSPD.jpg

Jeb: Finally- we can dump the extra mass!

*THUNK*

woqghly.jpg

Bob: Jeb?...

Jeb: I know..

AWoP9Tf.jpg

Jeb: KSC Tower- we have a problem.

KSCT: What is the problem?

Jeb: We cannot seem to decouple from the station.

KSCT: Can you get out and fix it?

Jeb: No- we are already entering the atmosphere.

5XuAV0D.jpg

KSCT: Well... Can you land with it connected?

Bob: I am not going to do this.

Jeb: Do we have a choice?

Bob: Maybe it will burn up as we hit the lower atmosphere levels!

Jeb: And maybe we will burn up as well!

B9k: 32km. Plasma shock forming...

wvCMRkG.jpg

Jeb: I hope we don't explode.

XxPyNMe.jpg

Bob: And if you look through the microprobe 3 feed, you will be able to see the obvious shape of a doomed spaceship.

TgXr4Ad.jpg

Jeb: Stop that. Do we have airbrakes?

B9k: No. And unless we figure out how to slow down, we are going to overshoot by 10 km at least!

Jeb: Vent the RCS to slow us down.

B9k: Complying...

f5jcADk.jpg

B9k: Out of RCS Jeb.

mAPeIty.jpg

Jeb: KSC Tower, be advised- we are coming in hot.

K4ADyIw.jpg

KSCT: We have been getting that alot today...

Bob: We need to slow down and turn around if we want to be able to land at all!

B9k: On it.

UHIwEZs.jpg

IN4j49b.jpg

KSCT: Be advised- you guys look REALLY cool up there.

Jeb: Thanks Tower....

B9k: Success! Completed turnaround!

Jeb: Perfect- burn at maximum- we need a soft landing.

jeUoN73.jpg

2sGr9HL.jpg

B9k: Speed dropping to 1km/s.

himWdtE.jpg

B9k: Plasma shock dispersed. Coming down slow...

gqZxTUF.jpg

Jeb: This is boring.

B9k: Would you have preferred the deadly supersonic impact instead?

Bob: B9k, please ignore Jeb's last statement.

B9k: Done already.

cBSE6bO.jpg

PZ7QTXK.jpg

Jeb: Altitude is ~ 500 meters. Extending landing gear...

SLvv6z5.jpg

OUu1vWb.jpg

B9k: And... Touchdown!

Bob: Yay!

B9k: Warning- springs in landing legs are failing- firing backup RCS!

Jeb: Balance! Balance!

weYuVRU.jpg

TzllhEV.jpg

Jeb: And we're tipping.

*THUNK*

hGJfIzo.jpg

Jeb: At least we are not dead!

*THUNK-THUNK*

3KR05tZ.jpg

Jeb: And we are now upside down. AGAIN. Great...

KSCT: DOn'e worry Jeb- retrieval Teams will be there to get you shortly.

Jeb: I can't wait to stretch my legs!

10 minutes later

Jeb: OH COME ON!!

H1w9mQ6.jpg

In orbit of about 180 km above Kerbin's surface

B9Copy: Circularization Burn complete. Altitude- 181.2km even. Orbit is stable.

wqt0LNX.jpg

B9Copy: Retracting sails...

oVuRmwX.jpg

B9Copy: Mission Control- is there someone coming to retrieve me? The Casmir sails don't work in atmosphere.

vBRhT11.jpg

MC: Jeb has a shuttle that should be able to collect you, and bring you down safely. We are prepping him for launch now.

B9Copy: Good. I will be waiting.

G2K41wl.jpg

Sorry for the delay everyone- on top of internet troubles, KSP troubles, and school, I spent most of the day sick.

So...

I hope you all enjoyed the chapter! Next chapter should be this weekend- assuming nothing bad happens...

Good chapter, and get well.

Thanks!

Can you do a small mission table? I can't comprehend all tohse missions. Please.

Ok:

Mission- Sentar Investigation

Bill and crew sent to investigate monolithic, potentially hostile entity

Mission- Minnimus base

Harvesting superconducting material for gravioli engine construction

Mission- Jeb

Whatever

Mission- Array

Multiple small probes around planets and stations around kerbin, each with gravioli detectors (and other sensors) and gravioli-communication systems, to detect SWARM and other events in the local kerbin area.

Mission- Shuttle

Shuttles small components up, supplies, and when Helldiver releases the station parts for his shuttle, will begin construction of another station

I think that sums it up.

Quite a chapter Mek, amusing as always! Get well soon!

Thanks- I will try.

The GSS advances! after some more time, the sun probe has achieved Low Sun Orbit!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

From here, the probe can also detect gravioli fluctuations from across the system.

Next are the moons, that's going to take some time...

EDIT: Here are the craft files for the GSS modules!

Requires LLL, Bengsch Industries, Quantum Struts and MechJeb to function.

Sun Scanner Module: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6weqdsbawgt6q1/GSS%20Sun%20Scanner%20Module.craft

Solar Power Module: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvtovted0uxgs6x/GSS%20Solar%20Module.craft

Ion Propulsion Module: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlv24tm0stm21yf/GSS%20StationKeeping%20Module.craft

Fusion Propulsion Module: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4t1gb7n0kimihx/GSS%20Propulsion%20Module-Q.craft

Edited by [ Jeremy ]
Added Craft Files

Even though i know the distances are huge, this is ginormous. Makes you think how easy it is in KSP, where the distances are smaller, and we have tools to see it better.

Actually - everything in ksp is a bit heavier, a bit smaller, a bit smller gravity soi's (Kerbin with 1 g gravity should have it much bigger)- everything is done so to make it almost as hard as in real life. *almost*

Infodump- Nanotech

-Since the discovery of the Dark Foundry, Kerbal scientists have been able to gain practical experience with nanotechnology for assembly and construction on the atomic scale, enabling the creation of portable launchpads and fine-tunable reactors for interplanetary craft and bases.

The nanobots still require material, but since they are self-replicating and due to scale they require no fuel to be powered- they are powered off the background radiation present throughout the cosmos.

Rendered image from 3-d electron microscope scans and known materials list:

0HJdLAz.jpg

Many scientists have been "Creeped out" by the idea of using these tiny machines at all, but several, including renowned kerbalnaut Bob Kerman, have developed a form of cryonic suspension for trips to Jool and farther, utilizing the nanotech to prevent cellular destruction at temperatures 110 kelvin and below.

In other news, kerblanaut recruiting has experienced a momentary lul after prospective candidates have been told "If they want to go to Jool, they need to be prepared for millions of spiders crawling into their guts."

Edited by Mekan1k

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.