[0.23.5] Goodspeed Automatic Fuel Pump v2.14.1

Gaius

Hi there,

What a GREAT mod !!! Works pretty well with a lot of other mods, and so helpfull :) I've been reading all of your posts here and I can confirm what was said before.

It is really convenient to balance your fuel tanks in real time, helping for your vessel stability during the flight. Very nice also to have (using the levels) your ships, once docked (with or without KAS), that will automaticaly transfer ressources in or out ... great :) I did not try use it to make automatic asparagus style launchings for now but I'm pretty sure that works well. (I'm using the old school way to do that and not sure how MechJeb will handle that but it should work ?)

One thing I'd like to add is the fact that when in conjunction with the Module Manager mod, you really don't need to edit the original config files.

The best way to do that is to have your own directory placed in the /GameData directory and MM will handle it. F.E. mine is /GameData/LKS

So to handle the Godspeed Pump with ELP ressources I have this one: /GameData/LKS/GoodspeedPump_EPL.cfg (same as said in a previous post)

// TWEAK FOR EPL
@PART
[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[RocketParts],!MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[GoodspeedPump]]
{

MODULE
{
name = GoodspeedPump
}

}
@PART
[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Ore],!MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[GoodspeedPump]]
{

MODULE
{
name = GoodspeedPump
}

}
@PART
[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Metal],!MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[GoodspeedPump]]
{

MODULE
{
name = GoodspeedPump
}

}

And to handle the Godspeed Pump with Kethane ressources I have this one: /GameData/LKS/GoodspeedPump_KET.cfg

// TWEAK FOR KET
@PART
[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Kethane],!MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[GoodspeedPump]]
{

MODULE
{
name = GoodspeedPump
}

}

Works really well (for me) and hope that helps :)

LKS

There is no need for permissions, those are just two poor config files that anybody can use (and the first one was already posted few pages ago) but I'm not sure they are to be included in any "official release" because they are just links between different plugins (and thus made by different modders) and as I said you also need to have the Module Manager plugin installed.

One thing I forget to mention is that Godspeed Pump works perfectly with KAS too so you can exchange whathever you want thru KAS Pipes (or Winches). Very useful for bases for example. My base on Minmus is just a "backbone" made of KAS Pipes (I don't use Docking Ports for bases on planets or moons) so when I land with an Ore gatherer I can connect it (in EVA) to any point of the backbone and thus any factory connected elsewhere can pump it and transform it (and of course the same way for Metal, RocketParts, Kethane or any propellant originaly included in the Godspeed Pump config file). Very very useful I said :)

LKS

A lot of the official releases now include compatability with several other mods -- for example, all of the airplane parts include stock and FAR balance versions, Real Chutes has module manager configs for compatibility with a lot of things that add chutes, etc.

@Amaroq: not sure of what you are speaking about ? By "official releases" are you speaking of the KSP releases or the Godspeed Pump releases ? For sure KSP *should* include great "core" mods such as KAS, GSP, ASET, VNG, MM, MechJeb etc etc in the "official release" but why to do that ? The fact is (for me) that this game is really well designed because it include "de facto" a way to easily add mods (grosso modo with just a copy and paste in the GameData folder). So you can customize your game the way you want to play it. (F.E. I do not intend to install TAC, which is a great mod too, because at this time I just don't want to care about my Kerbals life state, it is just as hard enough for now to have them to land, to work and to survive but maybe one day I will install it because it is more realistic and roleplay I must say -Jeb and Bill have been waiting in orbit for let's say 3 months with no food nor water before I found a way to rescue them- ... poor little Kerbals :) )

@Spanier: why do you want to transfer electricity ? Once connected to any ship/base, electricity is shared, or I'm wrong with that ? There is no "electricity storage" -not even the batteries- so what's the point ? For ressources transfer such as propellants between a POD and anything you want I think it *should* be possible to use Module Manager with a dedicated config file (as said before). So maybe you can try this:

1° Install the Module Manager plugin if not already done (just a simple .dll in your /GameData directory like this /GameData/ModuleManager.2.0.8.dll) Link here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-6-%28Jan-6%29

2° Create your own MM directory let's say: /GameData/Spanier

3° Add a config (.cfg) file to it, let's say /GameData/Spanier/GoodspeedPump_MK1POD.cfg

This example is just for the MK1 Pod, so in your /GameData/Spanier/GoodspeedPump_MK1POD.cfg just enter this code:

// TWEAK FOR MK1POD
@PART[mk1pod],!MODULE[GoodspeedPump]
{

MODULE
{
name = GoodspeedPump
}

}

This will add the Goodspeed Pump facilities to the MK1 Pod, just tested and that works (I can exchange MonoProp between the POD and any MonoProp container linked to it)

If you want to do more please read the MM instructions and syntax (quite simple but very efficient) so you can attach the Goodspeed Pump to all of your PODs ... quiet easy but no time to test that now ... give us a feedback ?)

LKS

PS: hello 5th (the sound is FiveTee ?), I'm watching your vids on YT ... so just a smile :cool:

@Spanier: why do you want to transfer electricity ? Once connected to any ship/base, electricity is shared, or I'm wrong with that ? There is no "electricity storage" -not even the batteries- so what's the point ?

The only reason to transfer EC between batteries is if you're about to undock and you want to make sure one side's batteries are full before undocking. I.e. if your space station has solar panels and your small tug drone relies on battery in place of onboard power generation. If that's something you'd do a lot, putting the pump module on batteries could save you some time.

@LukeStrike - I meant official releases of the mod, not of the game.

Its one of the things that I like about the mod community is the way that the mod authors collaborate, support each other, etc.

All I meant was, let's get Gaius to add those configs to the mod release, so that the (usually less knowledgable, present company excluded) end user doesn't have to add it.

@undercoveryankee: yes I understand what you mean. For the example I've been testing with the "modified" MK1 Pod (see above) and so my stack was: MK1a+Lamp+KAS / decoupler / another MK1b+KAS

1° In the VAB I assigned no EC to the first MK1a (pump and balance options set to no, just right click on it to lower the EC level and set the options so it is 0/50EC and the second one MK1b is still at 50/50EC)

2° On the lauchpad I set the options of the MK1a and MK1b to yes (pump) and yes (balance) ... So it pumped the EC from the MK1b until they reach 50% each (as they do have 50 EC, that means 25/50EC each one) ... works perfectly, again.

3° I decouple the MK1b and burn all my EC with the first one MK1a using the lamp so they are now 0/50 and 25/50 respectively.

4° Then I jumped out in EVA and reconnect them with a KAS Pipe so they are now considered as the same ship again.

5° Now they are both at 12.5/50EC each. But that's not you wanted, is'nt it ? :)

6° I used the pump level, and set the balance of both MK1 to no. Now, with a level of 1 for the MK1a AND a level of 2 for MK1b, MK1a will drain all the EC from MK1b ... result is MK1a: 25/50EC and MK1b: 0/50EC. Perfect for a flight, is'nt it ? :)

@Amaroq: No problem, as I said those config files are free to use. Let's thank the creator of this great mod, the MM creator also etc etc (what a big list) ... But the point is: maybe it is up to the creators to decide themselves if they want to include some config files in their distributions, or not, don't you think ?

Enjoy your flight.

LKS

@Spanier:Instead of what I said before, try this:

Make your own config file let's say: /GameData/Spanier/GoodspeedPump_POD.cfg with the following code inside: (don't forget to remove the MK1 old one if you already implemented it)

// TWEAK FOR PODs
@PART
[*], MODULE[ModuleCommand], !MODULE[GoodspeedPump]
{

MODULE
{
name = GoodspeedPump
}

}

That *should* implement the GSP to any of your PODs even those coming from other plugins (if they are ModuleCommand PODs) ... tested in a couple of minutes and seems to work perfectly well, again. The best thing is you can choose what ressources you want to transfer, or not, using the "Pump Options" in the menu. For example you can transfer only the MonoProp from one POD to another, but not the Electric Charge.

Did I said this mod is GREAT ? Yes, I did :)

Enjoy your flight.

LKS

Some Code to add to GoodspeedPump.cfg for ProceduralParts Tanks:

//Tweak for ProceduralParts Tanks
@PART[proceduralTank*]
{
MODULE
{
name = GoodspeedPump
}
}

Hum ... for a mysterious reason there seems to be a problem with the .cfg file I posted just above for the PODs.

If I build something like MK1 Pod + EPL Ore Container (just an example) the GSP options (in VAB and Launchpad) are duplicated (so 2x Level, 2x Auto Pump etc) ... And I cannot have any access to the Pump Options window (displays just a part of the window title bar and nothing else)

I don't really understand why, because the EPL Containers are NOT ModuleCommand ... But maybe it's a problem with the Module Manager (it added 2x patches at game launch) or my config file, I don't know. So, use it with care, or not at all :) (what I did ;) )

Enjoy your flight.

LKS

Since it doesn't hurt anything if the mods aren't installed, I will add Kethane and EPL/OCR materials to the default config on the next release.

Why isn't there a pump option for electricity and the monoprop in command pots?

I exclude command pods from the things that automatically get the pump installed because they already have a pretty beefy right-click menu, and I didn't want to clutter that up with even more lines; also, I so rarely want to pump things out of command pods that it's simpler to just do it manually when I do. But it's easy enough to remove the "!MODULE[ModuleCommand]" exception in the relevant config file entries to make it add the pump regardless.

Edited by Gaius

// TWEAK FOR PODs
@PART
[*], MODULE[ModuleCommand], !MODULE[GoodspeedPump]
{

MODULE
{
name = GoodspeedPump
}

}

The @PART line isn't in proper ModuleManager syntax. I think you want:

@PART[*]:HAS[MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[GoodspeedPump]]
{

@undercoveryankee: Nope, that didn't work for me, no GSP options in the PODs at all.

But I think (and hope) that this one *should* be the good one:

// TWEAK FOR PODs
@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[GoodspeedPump]]
{

MODULE
{
name = GoodspeedPump
}

}

I've been testing with a BAHA Launchpad + Mk1 POD + EPL RocketParts Container and that sounds pretty well. The BAHA Launchpad is also a POD and has an empty RocketParts Container included so I transfered RocketParts from the EPL Container to it (playing with the levels because there is no direct option for transfering in/out) and the same between the two PODs for electricity such a way that the BAHA is pumping from (and so stay full in priority) the MK1 POD.

I think this works and had no strange behaviors in the GSP menus this time, and the Module Manager seems to have just added 20-30 patches which is I suppose is a reasonable number for all the PODs I have at this time in the game, including those from a good number of plugins :)

Hope that helps,

LKS

@Gaius: I have bad news for you, I trully believe RF (tested also with AJE, advanced jet engines, which may cause some issues or not) issues have not fully been fixed, example:

a small probe, a circular air-intake on top, a FL-T400 1/2 filled of kerosene, a turbojet engine and an infamous launch clamp to hold all the parts.

1. tank is magically filled by kerosene from nowhere ! (thanks Jeb),

2. jet engine flame-out upon ignition cause no kerosene left (stupid engine :huh:)

All with various pump settings.

I 1st tried a tricky example to stress the pumps: same as before but a bi-coupler, two FL-T200 (set to hold kerosene, but left empty) and two turbojet engines instead of the single turbojet engine.

Also there, tanks are magically filled (I thought resource bar was not updated as it should but hard to say as-is), engines flame-out.

KSP 0.23 and very few mods, no other playing with resources or tanks.

This pump idea was just perfect especially knowing I'm very talented to design ships with bad fuel flow :cool: so I hope it'll work well.

EDIT:

here are the good news :). I was wrong and fooled by the launch clamp feature which refill fuel tanks (forgot this).

The turbojet engine issue seems to be AJE one.

Sorry for the trouble.

Edited by Justin Kerbice
have done more testing, fix my mistake

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to Gaius for this fantastic little mod. I had previously used TAC Fuel Balancer but found it somewhat cumbersome to use in practice, especially in larger craft and stations. I discovered this and decided to give it a try as a replacement; man has this made my fueling stations and kethane drilling operations so much more convenient! Thank you.

I also used TAC FB, but now prefer Goodspeed as it is much easier to use.

Would it be possible to add action group entries for tanks as well? eg "Set Pump Level to X" and "Enable / Disable Balance".

It would be extremely useful to be able to change fuel balancing mid-flight. For example, while in space you want CoM central, so RCS etc is more balanced.

However, if coming in for a landing, a low CoM is handy to help prevent tipping over.

So if you could use action groups to change pump level, scenarios such as this would become a lot easier to manage.

The ultimate solution would be some way to have the code able to balance tanks to maintain a given CoM point. Say for example you could right click a tank and say "Current CoM is desired CoM". This would then tell the code that the current position of the CoM marker is where you define the CoM to be in your vessel. The code is then able to balance tanks to position the CoM to where the user specified.

Knowing what (little) I know about KSP coding, at least a basic implementation should not be too hard? As a first stage, if we left it up to the user to handle x/y balancing, the code would only need to manage up/down balancing. AFAIK you can tell the Z value of any given tank, so whether the Z position of a tank is above or below the desired CoM point should be all you really need to know - the code could pump from low to high and "walk" the CoM onto target. If you did manage to achieve something like this, it would also be nice to be able to issue a "High CoM" (Puts CoM as high above designated CoM as possible) / "Low CoM" (Opposite) option. I am working on a "WEEBL" (egg-shaped, no way to land it badly, always self-rights) craft and something like this would be awesome to be able to rock it back to an upright position using fuel movement.

Whatever, cheers anyway for what you have done so far - I wish you all the best with this mod.

Edited by evilC

I just recently came across PWB fuel balancer that does what I wanted regarding moving fuel to acheive a balanced CoM.

Would it maybe be possible to merge this mod with PWB? I really like your "Pump Level" innovation (it has a wider variety of uses), but one mod that combined both techniques would be epic!

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto, where to download?

Could someone please upload this on dropbox or mediafire and share a link here as a stopgap measure?

The KSP addon license allows for this aslong as you give credit to the author.

Edited by Spider0804