HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

keep your TWR between 1.1 - 1.5 at launch... any higher and it becomes a nightmare to control before it exits kerbin's atmo D:

its for this reason i cant exactly create a soyuz replica in FAR environment XD

That actually has nothing to do with it. The G90 doesn't have any gimbal meaning I need to add reaction wheels (none in 1.875 HINT HINT!) or fins (Which I don't think look good)

That actually has nothing to do with it. The G90 doesn't have any gimbal meaning I need to add reaction wheels (none in 1.875 HINT HINT!) or fins (Which I don't think look good)

you can try proc wings and add small winglets to each side of the booster. it probably wouldn't amount to much but at least it looks nice :D

SNIP]

More TWR is on the way. I'm doing initial testing on the new G120. First build should be available later today.

Might I make a Request: Add some gimbal to the G90, it doesn't have to be much.

Ok, newest version is out. I've switched over to what I'm refering to as a "beta" format. In other words you won't need both HGR and HGRtest anymore.

Compared to the "unofficial" update there are:

-several texture improvements to WIP parts

-new lifting engine (will require testing and tweaking)

-fixes to the solar panels (they were absorbing light from the top edge instead of the sides, I still haven't gotten them to absorb from both sides so bear with me)

-A test build of a Progress style pod based on the Soy-juice. It's still early in development and needs some better texturing. It has KAS functionality though, it acts as a large container when you need to bring some new tools up to the station. It's also able to store experiment data like a command pod, so you can bring it back to kerbin without needing to send the crew home.

As always, all feedback is appreciated, have fun!

Edited by Orionkermin

Orion, for the lifting engine, I suggest adding "verniers" which are micro engines on the engine that do the gimbaling instead of the main engines. It's how they do it on the Soyuz. And I also suggest a radial, conical tank with built in decouplers.(to replace the nose cone possibly.)

EDIT: Oh, and does the onion/lemon have an IVA yet? I haven't been on my computer, meaning I haven't been able to download this, meaning I don't know.

Edited by Pockrtplanesairways

Orion, for the lifting engine, I suggest adding "verniers" which are micro engines on the engine that do the gimbaling instead of the main engines. It's how they do it on the Soyuz. And I also suggest a radial, conical tank with built in decouplers.(to replace the nose cone possibly.)

EDIT: Oh, and does the onion/lemon have an IVA yet? I haven't been on my computer, meaning I haven't been able to download this, meaning I don't know.

The lifting engine does have verniers actually. The IVA isn't done yet but it's next on the to-finish list.

I updated my refuels config to include the new engine, and tweeked some mistakes. Just drop in your realfuels folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zx5ljbm03cy7dgz/HGR_RealFuels.cfg

The new parts looks great.

One suggestion: I just noticed that the nosecone part contains fuel, a fact that I need to add to the above file. I would list it alongside the other tanks in the "propulsion" category.

Edited by Sandworm

I don't have any pictures to share, but i'm seriously enjoying the latest update. The new lifter engines are just the thing needed to spontaneously reconfigure the spacecraft as needed. ( --> They push quite hard very well.) Loving the naming of the parts as well. I'll report back in when i've had a bit more weekend time with the parts. (And maybe a station to dock them to as well ^^) Thanks again for all your hard work!

The lifting engine does have verniers actually. The IVA isn't done yet but it's next on the to-finish list.

Well, as I said, I haven't been on my computer because of vacation, and I haven't gotten to experience all this soyuzy goodness. I want to get back so bad. Are you going to add a PPTS to the group too sometime?

I am loving the heavy lift engine, but I can't for the life of me get a soyuz-esque ship to space. 9see previously posted album). I also really like the new unmanned pod.

Thanks, I just did a test flight on a FAR install and I see what you mean! It's that first step that kills you. Luckily with FAR you can build the whole thing a lot smaller, or plan to use the second stage to circularize and as an injection stage ala Apollo. I had to use some winglets on the boosters to have enough control during the beginning of my ascent, I've wanted to make a mini winglet for this and maybe that'll help when I get it done.

2014-05-31_00001_zpsf02fa0aa.jpg
I updated my refuels config to include the new engine, and tweeked some mistakes. Just drop in your realfuels folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zx5ljbm03cy7dgz/HGR_RealFuels.cfg

The new parts looks great.

One suggestion: I just noticed that the nosecone part contains fuel, a fact that I need to add to the above file. I would list it alongside the other tanks in the "propulsion" category.

Thanks again Sandworm. Would you mind if I add a link to your post on the OP, so people can find it easier? I'll credit you of course.

I want to make a non-fueled "long march" styled nose cone as well at some point, so I'll certainly take your suggestion into consideration.

Edited by Orionkermin

Yeah, I'm getting back home today, so I hope my parents will let me on the computer and test out all these cool gadgets. Oh, and I think a good placeholder IVA would be porkjet's TMA-1 Orbital Orb. It has a very similar design. Oh, and for the Lima, that's very awesome. But just a tip, try to make a different coloured onion/lemon to go with it. And maybe add some long antennae to place instead of solar panels like with the Soyuz 7K-T series. And maybe make a set of Probe/Drogue style docking ports, and if its possible make it so that only the male and female ports can dock with each other, and not the same with each other. This mod is looking very good Orion. When it comes to stock-alike, you are the best, and the fact that you are just a beginner amazes me with the skill you've picked up. This is one of my favorite mods. Thanks for the work that you've put in so we all can enjoy moar parts to lob kerbals into space.

EDIT: I just remembered! You should make launch clamps like the ones that they have at Baikonour! That would top the Soyuz! Perfect! Now, if you want, go make some!

Edited by Pockrtplanesairways

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.