HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Hey MaverickSawyer, your Pfairing technique was working great for me until recently. Now suddenly the fairings refuse to disconnect from the bottom plate, I'm wondering if you have encountered this as well. It seems HeadHunter has been running into the same issue.

As far as my own station modules go, if was to make some, it'd likely be its own mod. I'd want to have them give science but require crew, possibly with some sort of KAS based upgrade system like the cacteye telescope has.
why not collaborate with the station science mod? its stations already give science and require crew but presently it uses welds as stand ins for original models.

why not collaborate with the station science mod? its stations already give science and require crew but presently it uses welds as stand ins for original models.

OMG HGR stock a like Mir, skylab and ISS pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :)

Also loving the soyjuice rocket :D my new standard launch system :D

Edited by Green Skull

that can be fixed with a action group, so really its a none issue. i guess my asthetics side of me is just tingling. :/ cant put it into words though.

on a more serious note, the heat shield/chutes needs some tweaking i think. if i were to deploy the chutes and the heat shield at the same time, i would assume that the pod would have enough drag to actually seperate from the heat shield after seperation but nope, it hits the pod and stays there till the chute fully deploys. might be due to FAR though.

That's definitely a FAR thing I generally don't jettison any of my heat shields (I play with DRE) until the chutes have deployed for that very reason.

Yes please. Even though Ethernet is currently working on his own models, I'd never object to variety.

What if you add a pair of struts? I know it's not the most elegant solution, but it may work for now. At some point I'm going to have to figure out RealChutes, so mine can support it.

That's the plan, but my game is rather unstable right now. It crashed immediately afterward and I think I need to tinker more to get it running smoothly.

after a few weeks with the service module, I am not sure if I like the engine covers. I think it would look better the engine covers are removed, then there is one less thing to worry about, and less polygons. lol
...Why don't you like it? Is it just because you have to right click to open?...

Would it be possible to make the engine fairing opening be stageable?

Orion, I think you could BahamutoD's plugin to make it so the covers will open when the engine is in use, and close when not.

I've considered it, but I would only include it if the service module still worked without it. That way if the plug-in breaks the part still works. Much like my auxillery tank, you can still transfer fuel manually without a plug-in.

I've considered it, but I would only include it if the service module still worked without it. That way if the plug-in breaks the part still works. Much like my auxillery tank, you can still transfer fuel manually without a plug-in.

Well, I mean, you could include the plugin with the DL. And when do you approximate that this will all be in the full release?

Well, I mean, you could include the plugin with the DL. And when do you approximate that this will all be in the full release?

I knew what you meant, but new versions of ksp tend to break plug-ins, so if say the service module can't open because it relys on a plug-in, then everyone is stuck waiting for me to fix the part or BuhamitoD to fix the plug-in. I'll do some testing when I have time and see how it looks.

As far as release goes, I'm still working on a few parts for the soyuz style configuration and the onion still needs an IVA. After that I want to go through and do some polishing of all the soyuz themed stuff. After all that I'll add it to the main releases and start working on the shenzhou style parts and finish rounding out the 1.875m part set. The pmk and Lima will remain side project that I either work on when the urge strikes or when everything else is done.

Is there a way of making the textures toggleable? I know blackheart is doing the toggleable textures for all his tanks. It seems like it would be easier than making Soyuz and Shenzou tanks. If I'm not mistake I even think he's got toggleable Proc fairings. Idk it might be easier than making different tanks for each variation. Obviously the booster tanks are unique for the Soyuz but for what you are trying to do both designs are essentially the same, no?

Is there a way of making the textures toggleable? I know blackheart is doing the toggleable textures for all his tanks. It seems like it would be easier than making Soyuz and Shenzou tanks. If I'm not mistake I even think he's got toggleable Proc fairings. Idk it might be easier than making different tanks for each variation. Obviously the booster tanks are unique for the Soyuz but for what you are trying to do both designs are essentially the same, no?

When I say shenzhou version I'm mostly talking about the OM and possibly some accessories, nose cones, etc. The tallest tank is already long march inspired as you demonstrated, and the smaller two are generic enough to work with anything.

Sorry if that's disappointing but texturing is a lot of work for me and by the time all of this is done I'm going to need to take a break from regular rocket parts.

Edited by Orionkermin

When I say shenzhou version I'm mostly talking about the OM and possibly some accessories, nose cones, etc. The tallest tank is already long march inspired as you demonstrated, and the smaller two are generic enough to work with anything.

Sorry if that's disappointing but texturing is a lot of work for me and by the time all of this is done I'm going to need to take a break from regular rocket parts.

No no not at all I thought you were talking about making new tanks. I'm happy you keep the pack as small as possible. I was thinking of ways to make your life easier lol.

KSO seems to have large space shuttles covered. You should make small stack topper one like dreamchaser.

Like this? Pretty much already covered too. Besides I've liked lifting body shuttles/spaceplanes since I was a kid. And I have no real interest in a small spaceplane personally.

star-clipper-5.jpg

nasp-thumb-550xauto-51456.jpg

spaceplane.jpg

Edited by Orionkermin

Possibly station parts, but I'm also considering some kind of simple shuttle orbiter. Maybe a lifting body style like the X-30 or the star clipper

If you do make a space plane, either make it totally self contained in one part or make it a modular part system like Mk1 and Mk2 plane parts. I really hate mods that you can't really use anything more than for just one ship. Even though KSO is really pretty, I never use it because of this.

I'd like to see some stockalike 5-meter parts, preferably under the Kerbodyne name rather than HGR. I don't really like stockalike mods that use manufacturers not in the game, but it makes since for HGR as it is a totally new set of parts. But if you were to do 5-meter parts, it wouldn't make sense for a company to build such drastically different things.

Also, I've modified the .cfg files of all of your parts to have better names and all use the correct manufacturer name, better descriptions, including russian version of Homegrown Rocket Parts and Chinese version of Homegrown Rocket Parts for the Soyuz and Shenzhou as manufacturers. With your permission, I'd like to release this alternate version.

SNIP

Also, I've modified the .cfg files of all of your parts to have better names and all use the correct manufacturer name, better descriptions, including russian version of Homegrown Rocket Parts and Chinese version of Homegrown Rocket Parts for the Soyuz and Shenzhou as manufacturers. With your permission, I'd like to release this alternate version.

This would be awesome!

After years of use and completion of the ISS the Kerbal Government decided to retire their Shuttle fleet. They removed the engines and shipped the magnificent flying machines off to museums around the planet. However they forgot one thing, they left Jeb stranded on the ISS with no way of getting home!! Enter HGR, several months of planning, development, testing, and lives of kerbals (hard to get those fairings to work right) the Soy-Juice was completed and Jeb was recovered safely from the ISS.

T7gd7E3.png

ADAriZQ.png

ndK2DVa.png

Look at Jebs face, he is glad he is finally on his way home, naturally knowing nothing about the craft he wanted to fly it home.

jQhXs7Y.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.