HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Does anybody have a link to the "automatic soft landing engines" plug-in. I'm not sure of the actual name and so far I haven't found it on google.

I've got staged landing engines working at least :P

Gravity here I come! (I am so going to try it with my space station)

I'm reworking my cfg files for this all, and I think I'll make the soviet parts from Kerbolev. I'm also renaming 1.875 to Size 1.5. No stock parts refer to 1.25 or 2.5 sizes, and in fact there is a strong case that they are in fact 1 and 2 meter parts. (Way to go, using the same word twice in one sentence) They're called Size 0, Size 1, Size 2, and Size 3 parts on the Wiki, and in some cases in game.

Edited by GregroxMun

Working on some Realchute support, so far I have a basic module manager cfg that seems to be working.(Limited testing/experience with Realchutes) If anybody wants to try it I'll post it here and you can just copy it.

@PART[InLineChute]:FOR[RealChute]
{

maximum_drag = 0.32

!MODULE[ModuleParachute]{}

MODULE
{
name = RealChuteModule
material = Nylon
caseMass = 0.3
preDeployedDiameter = 2
deployedDiameter = 50
minIsPressure = true
minPressure = 0.01
deploymentAlt = 700
cutAlt = -1
timer = 0
mustGoDown = false
preDeploymentSpeed = 2
deploymentSpeed = 6
cutSpeed = 0.5
preDeploymentAnimation = semiDeployLarge
deploymentAnimation = fullyDeployLarge
parachuteName = canopy
capName = Cap
spareChutes = 5
}

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralChute
textureLibrary = StockReplacement
type = Cone
currentCanopy = Main chute
}

EFFECTS
{
rcpredeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_open
volume = 1
}
}

rcdeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_single
volume = 1
}
}

rccut
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_cut
volume = 1
}
}

rcrepack
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_repack
volume = 1
}
}
}
}

@PART[InLineChuteSmall]:FOR[RealChute]
{

maximum_drag = 0.32

!MODULE[ModuleParachute]{}

MODULE
{
name = RealChuteModule
material = Nylon
caseMass = 0.1
preDeployedDiameter = 1
deployedDiameter = 25
minIsPressure = true
minPressure = 0.01
deploymentAlt = 700
cutAlt = -1
timer = 0
mustGoDown = false
preDeploymentSpeed = 2
deploymentSpeed = 6
cutSpeed = 0.5
preDeploymentAnimation = semiDeploySmall
deploymentAnimation = fullyDeploySmall
parachuteName = Canopy
capName = cap
spareChutes = 5
}

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralChute
textureLibrary = StockReplacement
currentCanopy = Main chute
}

EFFECTS
{
rcpredeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_open
volume = 1
}
}

rcdeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_single
volume = 1
}
}

rccut
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_cut
volume = 1
}
}

rcrepack
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_repack
volume = 1
}
}
}
}

Thank you Shaw, looks like everything is working fine with and without the plug-in. So soft landing engines will be in the next update.

Oh my. This sounds delightful. Not to recommend it for the mod proper, but be sure to try at least one landertron rocket only landing. The looks on their faces is priceless. Looking forward to the next update, even if it might be into next weekend by the time I get a chance to look for it ><

Not positive results on the realchutes MM, unfortunately. Decoupler works still, but then the kracken appears; the camera goes nuts and the log is filled with "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at RealChute.RealChuteModule.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0". I am on my way to bed, and don't have the time to try to debug it though :(

Guessing that it's not expecting a decoupler module in the same part. Everything works fine in the VAB though.

Realchutes is another 'nice to have' but not something that is core to the mod, I think, if it's taking up time.(It's working very well with the other two big 'optionals', DRE and FAR, though. Very smooth with both.)

Realchutes is another 'nice to have' but not something that is core to the mod, I think, if it's taking up time.(It's working very well with the other two big 'optionals', DRE and FAR, though. Very smooth with both.)

Please don't ever make RealChutes a dependency for this mod. It's fine if it's optional, but I have a couple of my favorite SDHI mods that I don't play any more because they have all sorts of dependencies that I'd prefer not to use.

Especially with a stockalike parts mod, it should always be useable for those who have an otherwise stock game. Thank you.

Please don't ever make RealChutes a dependency for this mod. It's fine if it's optional, but I have a couple of my favorite SDHI mods that I don't play any more because they have all sorts of dependencies that I'd prefer not to use.

Especially with a stockalike parts mod, it should always be useable for those who have an otherwise stock game. Thank you.

Don't worry, I'm not planning to make anything a dependency. :) Working properly in a stock environment is an important part of the mod for me and that won't change. Realchute support will be through an optional MM cfg bundled in the Dl. The landertron module I'm adding to the pod has no effect without the Plug-in, so it will still function just fine if the plug-in no longer does.

@Komodo:

thanks for the feedback, the chutes are working for me using the MMcfg I posted, including decoupling. Perhaps there is something else causing a conflict. Or on an off chance, when you copied it into a text editor did you make sure to change .txt to .cfg? I dropped it strait into HGR also if i makes any difference.

Edit: @Gristle

That's an interesting use of the radish. It's awesome how many ways I've seen people use that pod. In many ways it remains my favorite single part.

Edited by Orionkermin

What's wrong with RealChutes? Frankly, it's much more intuitive and better designed/working than the stock system.

This is what I'm working on for the next Minmus mission - it's Apollo inspired but using two crew members. The service module and capsule are based on the 1.875m parts and the single kerbal lander is a Spud with some RCS capability.

yQutfl3.png

Once I've got the design finalised, I'll launch and report back.

One minor point - when radially attaching parts to the medium fuel tank, they hover a few cm from its surface.

Here's a launch sequence album of my LKS with a VA capsule based on the Radish.
Javascript is disabled. View full album

dang it - how do I embed an imgur album with the thumbnails on the bottom and none of the extra crap?

Instead of using URL tags use Imgur tags and the unique identifier for your album. (like so, quote this reply to see how it's done.)

Ok, Orion, with the G120, add 4 verniers if possible, add their own effects, and make them gimbal. This is if you would like. I have to say this because @Deathsoul097 might accuse me of demanding again.

Pretty sure the G120 already has Verniers, Not sure they have their own effects 9and if they do they are probably getting lost in the main exhaust effect) and I'm also pretty sure they already gimbal.

Edited by Taki117

Pretty sure the G120 already has Verniers, Not sure they have their own effects 9and if they do they are probably getting lost in the main exhaust effect) and I'm also pretty sure they already gimbal.

Yup pretty much this. They in fact do gimbal, but the engine's small gimbal range makes it hard to tell. When I tried to set them up with their own effects the main engine effects were not showing up. For some reason the game seems to not like displaying multiple engine effects. Maybe in 0.24 when we get actual verniers it will be possible for it to function more realistically. If I made the engine have four verniers he would just request that I make another with two on one side for the boosters...

Pockrtplanesairways why do you make requests for specific accuracy stuff all the time, when you know this isn't even a historical mod... Not to mention there's no reason to Point fingers at Deathsoul when I've seen others scold you in different threads.

@S4qFBxkFFg:

Hey, haven't seen you around in while. Good to hear from you. That's a lot like my early career landings when I force myself to only do "Apollo style" landings. I usually have a way smaller return stage and use a "crasher" injection stage though. (No docking ports unlocked that early)

The coliders were a bit of a compromise between the way small radial parts and other tanks looked when attached radially. Mostly due to the fact the tanks taper so much at the ends, there was a lot of bad clipping. Luckily the floaty parts are only noticeable up close, except maybe landing legs.

Edited by Orionkermin

I've been playing around with HGR, and avidly following the development for about a month now, all I can say is: This is glorious!

I'd share some screenshots, of some of the stuff I've done, but I run enough mods I have KSP running at low texture quality (and I'm pretty sure no one wants to see screenshots taken with a potato).

One thing I would love to see is a nice stock-alike rendition of the TKS+VA spacecraft, and the Salyut stations. I know, of course, about Kosmos but I find the visual style clashes with a lot of things. I would try my own hand at making a stock-alike versions of those craft but... well suffice it to say previous attempts resulted in what could best be described as "I accidentally a Lovecraftian horror."

In any case, keep up the excellent work, this is an awesome addition to the game.

I've been playing around with HGR, and avidly following the development for about a month now, all I can say is: This is glorious!

I'd share some screenshots, of some of the stuff I've done, but I run enough mods I have KSP running at low texture quality (and I'm pretty sure no one wants to see screenshots taken with a potato).

One thing I would love to see is a nice stock-alike rendition of the TKS+VA spacecraft, and the Salyut stations. I know, of course, about Kosmos but I find the visual style clashes with a lot of things. I would try my own hand at making a stock-alike versions of those craft but... well suffice it to say previous attempts resulted in what could best be described as "I accidentally a Lovecraftian horror."

In any case, keep up the excellent work, this is an awesome addition to the game.

I think my rendition of the TKS+VA turned out pretty good using mostly parts from HGR, Lacks SXT and Swampig's Procedural parts.

I think my rendition of the TKS+VA turned out pretty good using mostly parts from HGR, Lacks SXT and Swampig's Procedural parts.

Oh I must have missed it. Any chance you could provide a link to the forum post? I'd go looking through the thread but... Seventy-two pages is quite a lot of posts.

This is what I'm working on for the next Minmus mission - it's Apollo inspired but using two crew members. The service module and capsule are based on the 1.875m parts and the single kerbal lander is a Spud with some RCS capability.

http://i.imgur.com/yQutfl3.png

Once I've got the design finalised, I'll launch and report back.

One minor point - when radially attaching parts to the medium fuel tank, they hover a few cm from its surface.

It looks more like the N1 setup aka the 7k Soyuz/LOK. Either way really cool setup.

Don't worry, I'm not planning to make anything a dependency. :) Working properly in a stock environment is an important part of the mod for me and that won't change. Realchute support will be through an optional MM cfg bundled in the Dl. The landertron module I'm adding to the pod has no effect without the Plug-in, so it will still function just fine if the plug-in no longer does.

@Komodo:

thanks for the feedback, the chutes are working for me using the MMcfg I posted, including decoupling. Perhaps there is something else causing a conflict. Or on an off chance, when you copied it into a text editor did you make sure to change .txt to .cfg? I dropped it strait into HGR also if i makes any difference.

Edit: @Gristle

That's an interesting use of the radish. It's awesome how many ways I've seen people use that pod. In many ways it remains my favorite single part.

You can use the 2.1.X structure of MM now to make things work when other mod DLL files are around. You could, for example, make your CFG include RealCHute support using something like this:

@PART[something]:AFTER[RealChutes]:NEEDS[RealChutes]

Not knowing the realchutes DLL name offhand, I can't get it precise, but that would work to let you only add in that support if RealChutes is available.

EDIT: This is useful for many reasons, the least of which is letting you keep everything in one CFG and not having to cfg-swap. It can also be used to run CFG changes before or after a mod loads, such as only loading after Realchutes (updated example to reflect this).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.