HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

hey orion, just a little oddity to report:

when trying to dock with 2 of your custom docking ports to each other, they bounce in and out and fail to dock: try letting the magnetism pull them each other in, you'll see what i mean. i had to use RCS to reduce the speed of docking to get them to trigger docking.

hey orion, just a little oddity to report:

when trying to dock with 2 of your custom docking ports to each other, they bounce in and out and fail to dock: try letting the magnetism pull them each other in, you'll see what i mean. i had to use RCS to reduce the speed of docking to get them to trigger docking.

Were both probes out? You know, the "Boom" as Orion incorrectly calls them. And Orion, could you make a full time male port, as well as a full time female port, along with this Active/Passive one?

Were both probes out? You know, the "Boom" as Orion incorrectly calls them. And Orion, could you make a full time male port, as well as a full time female port, along with this Active/Passive one?

Sorry the way ksp is coded doesn't really allow for male/female connections. I called it boom because well I just guessed at a name because I had to call it something. I knew someone more knowledgable than me on the matter would let me know what it was called. Limited google search didn't help.

both were out, although i am assuming those are esthetics and since they have no colliders they dont effect docking at all.

Yes they are just for aesthetics. The issue sounds like it could just be that the collider extends just past the docking node. Hopefully this is the case as it would be an easy fix on my end. I have to wonder if I should even keep the port however, as it can't even serve its intended purpose of fairing base/docking port combo and is just an extra part at this point.

What does everyone think? Keep the docking port, or adjust the fairings to just use the standard one?

Does anybody have a Module manager config to make the Lima RemoteTech 2 compatible?

It's literally up the page a bit. post 772.

As for the docking port, I really took a shine to it; I'll try docking a pair of them together, but the more rounded part blends much nicer with the Soy craft aesthetic than the clamp-o-tron. (Conversely, the clamp-o-tron jr matches the Radish nicely.) Even if the probe is only for looks, I'm all for RP elements, although I may be in a minority, i've never really thought about it. (i.e., I like the idea of the different 'companies' competing for the player's business, which hopefully soon will be in the game properly.)

Disclaimer for the above, it may have been sleep deprived ramblings, but tl;dr, like the port, I vote to keep it!

Great mod, been finding myself just randomly launching Soyuz style ships just for the sake of seeing them :)

Docking port is nice but I honestly wouldn't miss it if you decided to take it out, only request I really have is some lower profile RCS ports, the stock ones look a little out of place.

only request I really have is some lower profile RCS ports, the stock ones look a little out of place.

Now that I think about it, ^^this, very much. I've been using the KW 45 degree offset corner pods and they just look enormous on the pod. I think a low-profile 45 degree RCS pod would go quite well with this pack.

As far as I can tell from a quick scan of Google Images, the RCS on the Soyuz is all internal; it just fires through holes in the hull.

This thread http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=24731&page=3 has some talk about the RCS systems and there's a picture of what looks like all the RCS firing on page 4.

My suggestion is to roll your own RCS thrusters. ;)

Now that I think about it, ^^this, very much. I've been using the KW 45 degree offset corner pods and they just look enormous on the pod. I think a low-profile 45 degree RCS pod would go quite well with this pack.

RLA has some 45 degree low profile rcs blocks

I haven't tried the mini RCS thrusters, that's an idea... I typically use the 'full size' stock ones, either the actual stock, or the 45 degree RLA models. (I tend to like a lot of RCS on my ships... a few hundred dV or so. ><)

(I started a new save with a 6.4:1 sized Kerbin (RSS) for a lark, so i've not been able to test these guys in depth. I'm thinking of just starting a new save soon besides, now that RT2 is back in proper working shape.)

Ah, the point I was going to make!: For the Lima pod, the only thing I can compare it against easily balance wise is the resupply pod from Fustek. They have a lighter pod with more life support, but no fuel. I split the difference on my install for resource quantities, but that's not the main point I was after; For the Lima, would it follow to have a 'matching' cargo onion module? I know its not realistic against the Progress, but who's got time for replicas anyway? The thought came up when messing with the fairings, which can be difficult to place without an Onion. (All it'd be is a palette shift, really. (I say this so frivolously ><) I imagine we can crowdsource the numbers here if needbe.)

I guess the other question, is how have the rest of you guys been using the Lima? I've not had a chance to get it going full time, my space stations aren't permanently manned.

(I'm sure that as soon as there is progress, we'll find out about it.)

EDIT: Two modular girder sections are like, 5cm longer than an onion pod for the fairings to line up. A boring spacer might be a solution as well.

Also had a chance to test the docking ports, and yes, it's fun if odd, they dock very well on stock ports, but a pair of them acts like a pair of rubber tires in the way they meet up. A bit of reverse rcs, and they mate. Maybe they're too magnetic? I'm not sure on the innards of ksp docking.

Edited by komodo

So from what I can tell lowering the top of the collider has fixed the docking port trouble. At least I was able to dock moving 1.5 m/s which is pretty fast for a docking maneuver, I think. Since it's a minor issue I'll wait for the next update to add it.

I think I'd like to make a pair of low profile RCS thrusters down the line. (A two way and quad 45 degree) The RLA ones are nice but their pretty small and have less than standard thrust. I've certainly wanted larger low profile RCS in other projects as well, so I'm deffinately interested. This won't be till the next "phase" however (when I'm working on the other OM and fleshing out the 1.875m set)

The IVA is coming, but I've been more focused on getting everything functioning and fun to fly. While RP elements are nice and help bring things to life, gameplay is more important to me. And an IVA for a habitat is certainly a RP element rather than gameplay. That's why I wanted to get the fairings up and running, so to speak. Now that I'm switching into polish mode I'll be working on making things look good and the IVA. Just keep in mind I work in a kitchen all day and have a social life outside KSP, so just be patient. :)

Edited by Orionkermin

So from what I can tell lowering the top of the collider has fixed the docking port trouble. At least I was able to dock moving 1.5 m/s which is pretty fast for a docking maneuver, I think. Since it's a minor issue I'll wait for the next update to add it.

I think I'd like to make a pair of low profile RCS thrusters down the line. (A two way and quad 45 degree) The RLA ones are nice but their pretty small and have less than standard thrust. I've certainly wanted larger low profile RCS in other projects as well, so I'm deffinately interested. This won't be till the next "phase" however (when I'm working on the other OM and fleshing out the 1.875m set)

The IVA is coming, but I've been more focused on getting everything functioning and fun to fly. While RP elements are nice and help bring things to life, gameplay is more important to me. And an IVA for a habitat is certainly a RP element rather than gameplay. That's why I wanted to get the fairings up and running, so to speak. Now that I'm switching into polish mode I'll be working on making things look good and the IVA. Just keep in mind I work in a kitchen all day and have a social life outside KSP, so just be patient. :)

hey no worries man, we all needs our daily vitamins and fresh vegetables as well :)

Can you guys tell me if this seems like too much wear and tear? Keeping in mind that Kerbals tend to build rockets out of junkyard scrap. Also note that when zoomed out it's less apparent.

SNIP

I like it. It might be a little random, but other than that it's good.

Can you guys tell me if this seems like too much wear and tear? Keeping in mind that Kerbals tend to build rockets out of junkyard scrap. Also note that when zoomed out it's less apparent.

Agreed with the above, I dig it. Dirt/grime/scuffs/etc are going to be chaotic in nature in any case, so it seems appropriate for sure! (And I like the idea of a Kerbal in a back yard putting such a thing together. :D )

http://imgur.com/a/94zWQ

I like it!! Especially when .24 comes out I am sure reusability is going to be an aspect and something that looks like it has been used over and over again is perfect.

Kind of a bug I think I launched the SoyJuice for the first time and something weird happened it felt like a Kerbal fell out of the ship and ship just kept going away from the tracking. I could switch back to cockpit view but had no control over the ship. Also when I put the decoupler/parachute on the ship there is no stage for it. Even when I loaded up the craft file there is no parachute stage. Also my log got spammed with null exceptions.

3zrzBlm.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.