HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Are you guys attaching the tapered boosters directly to the core stage, or using separators? I've been using the separators and having to strut it, but i'm not entirely psyched up about it. otherwise, i'm picking up all kinds of good ideas from the other boosters posted, so thank you guys for that as well!

Quick question: Will this update with the new OM and engines break any existing craft using the original Onion OM?

I don't think so, but you should back up your saves just in case. I left the older OM in so that hopefully people could just DL the new version.

Might as well share a purdy picture while I'm here. Environmental visual enhancement and better atmospheres is great! I also tend to build tiny Salyut and Mir style stations, I like working small. :D

screenshot63_zps17e44af7.png

Edited by Orionkermin

The solar panels look good, but they're underpowered compared to their weight and lack of tracking. Essentially, they weigh twice as much as the shielded 1x6 and 2x3 stock panels, output the same amount of energy (2.0/s), and can't track. They seem to have about twice the surface area so having them yield at least 4.0/s seems reasonable. I guess that the look of cool and the utility of the antenna somewhat compensates the lack of tracking, but if you would want to further advance their use, having them yield 4.5-5.0/s could be an idea.

The solar panels look good, but they're underpowered compared to their weight and lack of tracking. Essentially, they weigh twice as much as the shielded 1x6 and 2x3 stock panels, output the same amount of energy (2.0/s), and can't track. They seem to have about twice the surface area so having them yield at least 4.0/s seems reasonable. I guess that the look of cool and the utility of the antenna somewhat compensates the lack of tracking, but if you would want to further advance their use, having them yield 4.5-5.0/s could be an idea.

That's because the actual Soyuz solar panels won't track the sun.

Can someone post a craft file of this Soyuz-like rocket?

I didn't figure it out how it is meant to be build. :)

OK, here is a couple of examples. One uses Pfairings(the newest release) and the other just uses my parts and stock. Note that these are built for the normal aerodynamic model and some adjustments need to be made if you're using FAR.

Example DL Just copy these into your ships/VAB folder. I think, I've never posted craft files before. :blush:

Edited by Orionkermin

I don't think so, but you should back up your saves just in case. I left the older OM in so that hopefully people could just DL the new version.

Might as well share a purdy picture while I'm here. Environmental visual enhancement and better atmospheres is great! I also tend to build tiny Salyut and Mir style stations, I like working small. :D

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y477/morrowindorion/screenshot63_zps17e44af7.png

where are these larger solar panels from?

where are these larger solar panels from?

From SXT, Lack has made a lot of really neat parts that all share textures with the stock ksp parts. So, it's a really low impact mod. I had to cut out a good amount of parts though, only to reduce VAB clutter...

I actually did a mock N1 style mission recently using the same mod. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81344-Kerbal-N1-Mun-mission?p=1181622#post1181622

From SXT, Lack has made a lot of really neat parts that all share textures with the stock ksp parts. So, it's a really low impact mod. I had to cut out a good amount of parts though, only to reduce VAB clutter...

I actually did a mock N1 style mission recently using the same mod. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81344-Kerbal-N1-Mun-mission?p=1181622#post1181622

Yeah, there's a fair few parts. Was thinking it should be possible to make a parts disabler, just needs a simple interface and the ability to add something along the lines of

@PART[partname] 
{
!TechRequired = DELETE
!entryCost = DELETE
category = -1
}

to a text file so module manager can get at it. Could provide an in-game alternative to scratting around in the folders, although I've taken to adding the part location to the descriptions nowadays.

The PFairing version of the Soy-Juice craft doesn't seem to operate properly, either on a pad abort or in flight. I don't know if it's because of the top fairing base or what, but it doesn't separate properly in either instance. It fires, but stays anchored to the craft. The fairing sides don't seem to drift away, either. Any idea what's the cause?

The PFairing version of the Soy-Juice craft doesn't seem to operate properly, either on a pad abort or in flight. I don't know if it's because of the top fairing base or what, but it doesn't separate properly in either instance. It fires, but stays anchored to the craft. The fairing sides don't seem to drift away, either. Any idea what's the cause?

Hmm possibly different versions of Pfairings not playing nice, are you using the newest release with scale-able bases? If thats not it then I'm not sure why it's not working. I can always make an imgur tutorial on setting up the Pfairings as well, if people want.

@Lack:

It wouldn't be so bad if the VAB had a better organizational system. I also just don't ever build planes or shuttles so that's mostly all I cut out.

I am using the latest version, 3.02 of Procedural Fairings. Is the system working properly for you, then? I'm considering just rebuilding it with an interstage fairing if that works. I'm familiar with setting up the fairings but the craft doesn't seem to work right "out of the box". I also recommend adding struts to the top of the boosters, to minimize flex (caused two of the engines to fall off on one of the launches).

The new parts are gorgeous - I love the new orbital module and you've created a stockalike pack that will be part of every install going forward for me. This and the Kerbal X Stock Launcher Overhaul are my favorite stockalike packs ever.

I had to cut out a good amount of parts though, only to reduce VAB clutter...]

After i started using part catalog mod i dont have to worry about that anymore.

In fact, it woudl be virtually impossible ofr me to play this game with all mods i use without part catalog.

I have no idea why it isn't working then. :( That's pretty much the configuration I use in stock aerodynamics. Did it keep the thrust limitations on the radial engines? I usually put them down to 70-80, which might be why I don't really need struts.

I'll have to check that mod out kiwiak, sounds good.

I'm going to have to agree that the panels seem underpowered. even with the ability to retract and extend the lack of magic 360degree turning tracking hardware should mean a greater EC/s to weight ratio not a worse one. Its E/kg ratio should fall some where between single fixed panels and tracking panels

Absolutely, and not at all the point I'm trying to make.

Yes i know, the early solar panels weren't efficient either, they were temporarely removed and replaced by greater battery packs with the early Salyuts but later readded when solar panels became more efficient.

Has anyone made a Long March or a "Short Step" (thats what I am going to call mine)? I am gonna make one and probably post some pics. Everyone makes the soyuz but no shenzou.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.