HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Well, the "verniers" won't be actual verniers. They'll just be RCS that uses LFO. And the OMS's will just be normal engines burning MonoProp.

verniers you say well ask Hugo...

<p><strong>Hugo (the intern): </strong><span>Finished a couple pieces (OMS Engine and Vernier Engine) for the game. Im now helping Daniel and Rogelio with models for their animations. I just finished a firecracker and I’m currently working on a kitbash of a space rocket. Im excited to see how these things start turning out.</span></p>

I'm testing the realchutes code further. The only bit i'm unsure of after comparing the configs to the realchutes documentation/configs is the texturelibrary (textureLibrary = StockReplacement). Is it possible that you have this defined somewhere outside of HGR/it's a realchute thing and i'm just blind? (Probably the second one, but you never know.)

I'm'a bash on it more and report back. (Actually I like debugging things, so this is Fun too ^^)

EDIT: It's definitely something to do with the textures; I comment those lines out, leaving just name = ProceduralChute and all is well, although I have a invisible parachute.

Realchutes was at version 1.0.5, i'm just blind Silly.

Works like a charm, maybe a bit on the big side, but hey, it's tweakable!

Edited by komodo

Oh I must have missed it. Any chance you could provide a link to the forum post? I'd go looking through the thread but... Seventy-two pages is quite a lot of posts.

Page 71 - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67164-HGR-R-D-Thread-Stock-like-Soyuz-Shenzhou-and-1-875m-parts-in-Development?p=1203352&viewfull=1#post1203352

Also some shots of the VA module maneuvering to the forward docking port to make room for the remote control VA enroute.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Gristle

Page 71 - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67164-HGR-R-D-Thread-Stock-like-Soyuz-Shenzhou-and-1-875m-parts-in-Development?p=1203352&viewfull=1#post1203352

Also some shots of the VA module maneuvering to the forward docking port to make room for the remote control VA enroute.

Fixed it for you.

I'm testing the realchutes code further. The only bit i'm unsure of after comparing the configs to the realchutes documentation/configs is the texturelibrary (textureLibrary = StockReplacement). Is it possible that you have this defined somewhere outside of HGR/it's a realchute thing and i'm just blind? (Probably the second one, but you never know.)

I'm'a bash on it more and report back. (Actually I like debugging things, so this is Fun too ^^)

EDIT: It's definitely something to do with the textures; I comment those lines out, leaving just name = ProceduralChute and all is well, although I have a invisible parachute.

Realchutes was at version 1.0.5, i'm just blind Silly.

Works like a charm, maybe a bit on the big side, but hey, it's tweakable!

Oh cool I'm glad it's working. I was going to ask if it could be that realchutes needed an update. :D I thought the chute was huge too, but then I'm also like, "we'll maybe that's just how realchutes are idk." I'll look into finding a better default size for the actual MM cfg I include. Lol

Oh cool I'm glad it's working. I was going to ask if it could be that realchutes needed an update. :D I thought the chute was huge too, but then I'm also like, "we'll maybe that's just how realchutes are idk." I'll look into finding a better default size for the actual MM cfg I include. Lol

Not to rush you or anything, but I'm just curious if you have an ETA for the next update.

What's wrong with RealChutes? Frankly, it's much more intuitive and better designed/working than the stock system.

Maybe so, but it becomes yet another plugin that players "must" use. Each one brings with it potential incompatibilities and conflicts with other mods or plugins, makes mods dependent upon its development to stay current, and decreases overall stability.

I tried it briefly, didn't really see what made it so exceptional, but at any rate I like it to be my decision whether or not to use a plugin, rather than being a requirement to use something else I like.

It's ambitious, and I'm just dreaming here, but I have visions of a stockalike Kosmos equivalent eventually coming out of all this. That would probably entail a lot of work, but it would be fantastic! I loved the aesthetic of that mod, but not how the textures clashed with stock parts. This would be much better than that!

I've been using the engines and tanks for medium to light weight lifting recently (5-13t max) . I say these parts definitely fill a much needed gap between a 1.25m 2.5m lifting capability.

anyway, just wondering if you would be making a Soyuz style launch clamps for your parts? that would be much eggcellent.

I've been using the engines and tanks for medium to light weight lifting recently (5-13t max) . I say these parts definitely fill a much needed gap between a 1.25m 2.5m lifting capability.

Well that's the idea at least. They feel less wasteful most of the time, I'm curious to see if they will actually be cheaper than using rockets with fewer 2.5m parts. We will see how squad balances costs and how well I can fit these between the smaller and larger stuff.

anyway, just wondering if you would be making a Soyuz style launch clamps for your parts? that would be much eggcellent.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76136-FASA-Launch-tower-tutorial Nah, I'd never do a thing like that. :rolleyes:

Just to chime in on the point of medium launcher classes, I too find that they're useful for anything from 10-20 tons of mass (in FAR at least) without being too excessive. As it is, I usually end up with excess dV that i'm not sure what to do with. (Particularly when launching a 3 ton lander for a KOR mission, but I digress.) I'll post some booster craft files when I get a chance; they're fairly well refined, other than the boosters tending to explode on jettison. ... Only in KSP is that sentence perfectly sane, hah. :D

So minor status update: unfortunately there was some setbacks and I wasn't able to get everything done I had hoped for. This means we're looking at more of a Sat. Night/Sun. morning time for the next update. The good news is that all the new parts are in game and functioning properly. I just didn't get to texture anything.

I'm also wondering if people would prefer if I add a back and front to the solar panels as well at some point. The only downside is to make them look good they would need a left and right version. (Because of asymetricality) I'm pretty sure it can be done without actually adding extra textures or assets,(by mirroring) it would just take up one more spot in the VAB.

Agree on the panels, they work just fine as is. (I like the double functionality as well, with the transmitters, a good touch!)

I don't have craft/subassembly files yet, but I do have a new mission report! This was literally a 777 on the slotmachine of KSP. Lets see if these tags work... TL;DR: Booster family launches three different craft; also, Went to Minmus, found a new moon(!)

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y477/morrowindorion/2014-06-14_00002_zps39ecbb97.jpg' alt='2014-06-14_00002_zps39ecbb97.jpg'>

Things are going pretty well, I have a bit more texture work to do after I get home today and this will be ready for update. This shot is using my fairings rather than Pfairings and they seem to be working fine in FAR. (the little fins are stock, just using clipping)

OK, newest version is up and there's a lot of changes.

-NoseCone is now simply a true radial booster tank. Holds as much fuel as the grey and orange tank.

-Default Orientation of the service module changed so the intended position of the solar panels don't cover any detail.

-Several parts have changed position on the tech tree:

-Solar Panels-moved to electrics

-radial boosters moved to heavyRocketry

-G-120 moved to heavyRocketry

-First implementation of my fairings.

Unfortunately docking nodes don't like having extra nodes for some reason, so the sides had to connect to the new LES tower.

-the Soy-juice capsule is now equipped with soft landing rockets via XT Landertron Plug-in. (The Plug-in has been bundled in the DL if you don't already have it) It is not essential for my parts pack to function.

-Realchute support has been added via a MM cfg. Requires the latest version of module manager and is still WIP

-lowered the default amount of ablative shielding for the heatshield. the max remains the same. (This was done to save weight as 500 was still often too much for default settings)

Hopefully that's everything, I'll update this post if I remember something else. Have fun and look forward to seeing some polish in the next update. :)

Edited by Orionkermin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.