HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Kind of a bug I think I launched the SoyJuice for the first time and something weird happened it felt like a Kerbal fell out of the ship and ship just kept going away from the tracking. I could switch back to cockpit view but had no control over the ship. Also when I put the decoupler/parachute on the ship there is no stage for it. Even when I loaded up the craft file there is no parachute stage. Also my log got spammed with null exceptions.

https://i.imgur.com/3zrzBlm.png

Are you using realchutes? If so, make sure that realchutes and module manager are both up to date. I use a MM cfg for realchute support and it's set to not load unless you have the realchute.dll. If I'm remembering correctly, komodo was getting NullReferences like that before he updated Realchute.

Edit: Here is the first post that he mentions the issue.

And here is where he resolved it. Hopefully that's all the problem is :)

Edited by Orionkermin

Are you using realchutes? If so, make sure that realchutes and module manager are both up to date. I use a MM cfg for realchute support and it's set to not load unless you have the realchute.dll. If I'm remembering correctly, komodo was getting NullReferences like that before he updated Realchute.

Edit: Here is the first post that he mentions the issue.

And here is where he resolved it. Hopefully that's all the problem is :)

I did the same thing I had an outdated version of Real Chute. However the problems are still there. However the Parachute does show up in the VAB but it doesn't show up on the pad.

Stage 2 has the chute listed in VAB

7nRe9DG.png

Stage 2 on Launch Pad its now a decouple

hsyQ5vo.png

I figured maybe its how it works but then 1:13 into the flight the ship just flys away everytime I zoom out it just get further away. This is a pic with the camera centered and unzoomed out. Like I said it feels like when you press EVA during take off. The kerbal flys out and the ship just goes. But in this case the ship has all four kerbals and functions. I can stage everything but its just not right.

WxICmqX.png

Double check that you've only got one modulemanager.dll in your files; (or only one realchute for that matter). They're supposed to detect it, but all kinds of wackyness can occur if they're fighting.

The other thing is that a part placed on a craft, and then subsequently changed (i.e., an edit to the cfg made), I think it doesn't actually stick until you remove/add the part in the VAB.

But yea, that looks real familiar to a problem I had, where ... It was due to a texture missing... Maybe do a clean install of realchutes (delete that folder, replace with the new one.) If they got merged, I wonder if something didn't land in the right spot/ there are two of something that shouldn't be.

Check those and let us know!

Also, the animated engines on the Edamame may be a little bit inconsistent. I'm still poking at it to find a good test case.

In other news!, First use of the Lima pod: 5f83tYvl.png

This one is called, don't jettison your service module on accident when you're docking at a space station. Lima makes a decent rescue tug, it turns out!

Edited by komodo

Can you guys tell me if this seems like too much wear and tear? Keeping in mind that Kerbals tend to build rockets out of junkyard scrap. Also note that when zoomed out it's less apparent.

http://imgur.com/a/94zWQ

Looks good, but the texture quality on all the parts is very pixelated. That is something that needs improvement.

have you tried using the parachute without using the example craft file? When I made it, it was not using Realchutes, but since you are it could be that the craft file is incompatible.

Its not the craft file. It was my fault. I figured the version of Module Manager in RPM and Vessel View would be ok but looking back it was really stupid to think that they weren't outdated. As usual it was a stupid mistake and it was easy to fix. "In space there is no problem so bad that you can't make it worse." Chris Hadfield

The other thing is that a part placed on a craft, and then subsequently changed (i.e., an edit to the cfg made), I think it doesn't actually stick until you remove/add the part in the VAB.

Latest versions of module manager scan through the save games and craft files (at least craft files inside the save folder) and patch them up where possible so even if a part was added without the MM config it should still be patched up by MM when the game loads (in theory).

Have had a few instances of the Lima pod causing some random issues with ships going out of control and accelerating with no engine power but I've not been able to narrow it down enough to provide any sort of useful bug report and it seems to have stopped happening (and never seemed to happen with the Soy-Juice pod)

Also, the animated engines on the Edamame may be a little bit inconsistent. I'm still poking at it to find a good test case.

Been noticing this myself, seems really hit and miss whether the engine will actually activate and usually takes a few cycles of opening/closing/activating/shutting down before it goes, especially noticable if you shutdown the engine and try to reactivate it and also when reloading save games with ships in flight. So far the activation has been fine during actual launches when triggered by the staging.

I'm guessing he's going for the 8-bit look.

No, I just make my textures really small to try and reduce the mod's footprint. I could release in a higher res, if people would rather that. Some parts that have been around for a while will be more difficult for me to upres, as when I was less experienced I worked in strait 512x512 lol

Latest versions of module manager scan through the save games and craft files (at least craft files inside the save folder) and patch them up where possible so even if a part was added without the MM config it should still be patched up by MM when the game loads (in theory).

Have had a few instances of the Lima pod causing some random issues with ships going out of control and accelerating with no engine power but I've not been able to narrow it down enough to provide any sort of useful bug report and it seems to have stopped happening (and never seemed to happen with the Soy-Juice pod)

Been noticing this myself, seems really hit and miss whether the engine will actually activate and usually takes a few cycles of opening/closing/activating/shutting down before it goes, especially noticable if you shutdown the engine and try to reactivate it and also when reloading save games with ships in flight. So far the activation has been fine during actual launches when triggered by the staging.

In order:

Interesting about new MM behavior, you learn something everyday. I'll keep that in mind!

I haven't seen that on the Lima yet, but i'll keep an eye out for it.

I saw it when loading a save file, yes. Still poking. (And an amusing image of a Kerbal bashing the side of the engine with a wrench comes to mind.)

The textures look fine to me, but I don't have a superrig, so most of my textures would look like that anyway >< The small footprint is much appreciated here!

No, I just make my textures really small to try and reduce the mod's footprint. I could release in a higher res, if people would rather that. Some parts that have been around for a while will be more difficult for me to upres, as when I was less experienced I worked in strait 512x512 lol

I think you should have a High-res option. (For those with few mods) and a low-res version (The current version)

I'm loving the new Soyuz pod for the Soy-Juice! But, I do have a slight tweak, if it's not too much of a problem.

The heatshield on the Soy-Juice needs a bit of retexturing.

But that's all. Anyway, awesome mod! This is always installed in my KSP, and has been since the first pod was released.

Yeah, I am kind of confused by the fact that there are two stockalike Soyuz on the market. I guess Beale's Tantares fits a different niche, a Soyuz that doesn't rely on a totally new range of parts. But I think the 1.5 size range is important, and should probably be developed in the stock game.

I do wish that Soyjuice was available in different colors...

Yeah, I am kind of confused by the fact that there are two stockalike Soyuz on the market. I guess Beale's Tantares fits a different niche, a Soyuz that doesn't rely on a totally new range of parts. But I think the 1.5 size range is important, and should probably be developed in the stock game.

I do wish that Soyjuice was available in different colors...

If i'm not mistaken the whole point of this mod is actually to fill the gap between 1.25 and 2.5 meter parts for Mid tech games. The Soy-juice (And other pods) are merely 1.875 m command pods to fill the gap that would be generated by using the new 1.875 m fuel tanks and engines, without looking ridiculous.

If i'm not mistaken the whole point of this mod is actually to fill the gap between 1.25 and 2.5 meter parts for Mid tech games. The Soy-juice (And other pods) are merely 1.875 m command pods to fill the gap that would be generated by using the new 1.875 m fuel tanks and engines, without looking ridiculous.

Not only that, but some command pod styles just don't fit into the stock size categories well. I think that for instance 1.25 is too small for a soyuz and 2.5 is too large. Sure, I could of just used some adapter, but it doesn't look the same. Beale's work is great, but he prefers to work small and fit things into the stock size catagories. I feel like the command pod of a ship is what defines it most and ended up needing to make a whole system to support my crazy, unusually sized pods. :D It means my mod has developed very slowly, but I think it's been worth it. When I started working on a soyuz-alike, I never dreamed that I would end up making an entire R-7 to go with it, but look at where we are now.

RE. other textures/colors:

Unfortunately I just don't have the time at the moment. There's so many parts that need improvement and texture work to be done that I just don't have the time. Here's a glimpse of what I'm currently doing though. The service module still has a bit more texture work, but I think it's already looking much better. I basically completely remade the capsule's texture in order to upres it to 1024x1024. Looks even better in game with all the specularity and bumpmapping.

Untitled_zpsc30e778d.png

Edited by Orionkermin

Hey Orionkermin, I just wanted to let you know that I love your work - this is one of my favorite KSP parts mods. I really love the way you blend real-world space hardware with stock-alike aesthetics.

It's also really cool that your parts are set up for TAC life support out of the box. However, I use asmi's ECLSS life support mod instead, so the values for your parts are more than a bit off. I'm gonna throw together some ModuleManager configs for making your parts compatible with ECLSS, for my own personal use. What I'm interested to know is, is it alright with you if I release my configs on your thread?

Thanks a lot, man, and keep up the great work!

Orion, I just released a new version of the Landertron plugin. Info that's relevant here:

• heightmultiplier, offset, and endheight can be removed from the cfg. They no longer do anything.
  • Add "showgui=false" to the cfg module to hide all in-game Landertron options
  • The logic used to determine when to fire the rockets has been improved. It should be fine to stage the Landertron at the same time as your parachutes now.
  • Refueling works a bit differently. The Landertron part eats any object with solid fuel attached directly to it, and adds that fuel to its own reserves. That's probably not ideal for you, so for now you can add "refuelable=false" to the cfg module to disable this functionality. In the future maybe I'll do something to make the code more selective about what parts it consumes.

Also, for future releases I think it would be a good idea if you left the Landertron plugin in the same directory that I use (GameData/XanderTek/Landertron/). That way if someone installs both of our mods, the dll will be overwritten. Having 2 versions of the same plugin can cause weird things to happen...

Enjoy!

Oh, as a side note for anyone interested: with 10 solid fuel the Soy-Juice capsule has 20 delta-V. Meaning the retrorockets can fully stop the pod if it is falling at less than 20m/s. With 20 solid fuel it has 40 delta-V.

Edited by XanderTek

Yea that'd be great, I can even add the link you put up on the OP so others can find it easier. I need to link to Hades' RT2 cfg as well come to think of it...

Okay, here is a ModuleManager config file that makes HGR compatible with asmi's ECLSS life support mod. I've also included a slightly modified version of Hades' cfg that makes the unmanned command function on the Onion service module into a RemoteTech SPU as well.

I have had a coupe issues with this mod. The first I noticed was a seemingly incompatability with Goodspeed Aerospace Parts. when I first installed this mod, some of the parts of the Goodspeed mod were made invisible

the second is a tendency to crash the game. granted, I was using it with a fairly good list of mods, I will try running only this mod and see what happens. what mods are known to be incompatable with this mod?

other than those issues, this looks like a really cool mod, I would love to have some soyuz type capsules.

I have had a coupe issues with this mod. The first I noticed was a seemingly incompatability with Goodspeed Aerospace Parts. when I first installed this mod, some of the parts of the Goodspeed mod were made invisible

the second is a tendency to crash the game. granted, I was using it with a fairly good list of mods, I will try running only this mod and see what happens. what mods are known to be incompatable with this mod?

other than those issues, this looks like a really cool mod, I would love to have some soyuz type capsules.

hmmm i have no issues with goodspeed mod whatsoever

try eliminating mods 1 by 1 maybe it;s something else

Okay, here is a ModuleManager config file that makes HGR compatible with asmi's ECLSS life support mod. I've also included a slightly modified version of Hades' cfg that makes the unmanned command function on the Onion service module into a RemoteTech SPU as well.

is there a fix for the mono bug in ECLSS? how does it work for you i had issues like exploding ships etc

Hmm, could possibly be a part ID conflict with goodspeed. Missing parts is often a symptom of this. I'll look into it as soon as I am able.

I can second that; it caused a number of game crashes, though granted I am using a number of other mods. In KSP though, its pretty much necessary to be able to play well with most of the more popular mods out there

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.