HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

I see all the parts are getting a remodel, will they also get a rebalance? I remember some engines being very OP last time I used HGR.

Well I'll definitely be making tweaks and especially looking at costs. I'm not sure why some people feel the engines are over powered though. For instance the 47b is exactly two 909s, just like the poodle is the same as 4 of them. The g120 is half a mainsail that has less gimbal range and overheats faster...

The G90 is the most likely to need rebalancing, but it still doesn't seem that far off based on the skipper, it has the same ISP values but with a mass of 2.25 and 450 thrust. Compared to the skipper's 3t mass and 650 thrust. So for about a third less mass you get about a third less thrust.

The service module's engine has identical stats to the 909, but that's somewhat irrelevant as it wont have a built in engine when it gets re-made.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is all perfect but I will need more specific input about in what ways people feel they're Op for me to get the balance right. I'm all up for open discussion on what to do to improve things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is all perfect but I will need more specific input about in what ways people feel they're Op for me to get the balance right. I'm all up for open discussion on what to do to improve things.

Don't worry too much about potentially rebalancing things, with 0.91 and the new aerodynamics all engines will need to be overhauled anyway depending on what the stock engines are rebalanced to.

I'm planning to change the manufacturer of the g-120 to rockomax

With the new manufacturer tab I think it would be better to stay as HGR. Making it Rockomax confusingly puts a 1.875m part mixed in with the 1.25m and 2.5m parts. I prefer all mod parts to be their own unique manufacturers. That way those parts don't accidentally get used on what are portable stock rockets. Mixing custom parts and stock manufacturers makes it all a jumble. I've already written MM files to put move the RCS blocks meant for the Soyjuice out of Steadler, the Decoupler out of O.M.B. and the Solar panels out of Probodbodyne.

While I'm commenting on manufacturers some of the parts (Heavy LES, Radial Aux Prop Tank, heatshield) use Home Grown Rocket Parts not HGR as the manufacturer, and the Latch-o-matic is missing a manufacturer line.

The service module's engine has identical stats to the 909, but that's somewhat irrelevant as it wont have a built in engine when it gets re-made.

;.;Oh no...that was one of my favorite parts of the mod..it's the little engine that could! I wonder what I'm going to do with my Soyuz builds then, adding an engine on the butt really breaks up the look.

Browsing through the posts though, it seems you're scrapping it to make way for the possibility of a modifiable SM? That would be neat...add engine/fuel types/Jeb's body in the boot to customize the load...:D

Also, I'm having an odd issue with the MK.18 Inline Chute...the chute itself is simply not part of the object, only the decoupler...I realized this thankfully when I was still able to revert the save, but..it took me by surprise. I tried my google-fu at the problem but the only thing I see come up for that part is an old post about it bugging in the Research, and the offending part2.cfg, which my folder doesn't have (I checked, just in case that was causing this different bug) Here's a pic of what I'm seeing:

screenshot28.png

Anyways, I'm anxious to see what you've got cooking up for your reboot...made an account just to respond and show support for your HGR, it's by far my favorite mod in Kerbal...I'm in love with the 1.875 form factor and the CM/OM's that go with the whole ensemble. Keep up the good work!

;.;Oh no...that was one of my favorite parts of the mod..it's the little engine that could! I wonder what I'm going to do with my Soyuz builds then, adding an engine on the butt really breaks up the look.

Browsing through the posts though, it seems you're scrapping it to make way for the possibility of a modifiable SM? That would be neat...add engine/fuel types/Jeb's body in the boot to customize the load...:D

Also, I'm having an odd issue with the MK.18 Inline Chute...the chute itself is simply not part of the object, only the decoupler...I realized this thankfully when I was still able to revert the save, but..it took me by surprise. I tried my google-fu at the problem but the only thing I see come up for that part is an old post about it bugging in the Research, and the offending part2.cfg, which my folder doesn't have (I checked, just in case that was causing this different bug) Here's a pic of what I'm seeing:

http://s10.postimg.org/6rkbsn607/screenshot28.png

Anyways, I'm anxious to see what you've got cooking up for your reboot...made an account just to respond and show support for your HGR, it's by far my favorite mod in Kerbal...I'm in love with the 1.875 form factor and the CM/OM's that go with the whole ensemble. Keep up the good work!

Hi, thanks for the support and welcome to the forums. :)

My plans for the re-envisioned service modules in simplest form, is for them to basically be a combination of fuel tank and 6s service tube. This will make them less of an all-in-one part, but still allow for a good looking exterior to match the craft that inspired them. And hey, now you can build more specifically with the mission in mind. I will likely make both LFO and Monopropellant versions and I wouldn't worry too much about engine placement as I'm sure i can get it to look good with the majority of engines out there.

Now for a WIP screenshot for fun.

Adapters_zpsb2579439.png

Sorry the adapters are taking so long, I hit a slight artist's block with them initially and then have been pretty busy IRL the last week or so. Progress should pick up again soon. Obviously the textures are still WIP and these are just the "flat" adapters.

Now for a WIP screenshot for fun.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y477/morrowindorion/Adapters_zpsb2579439.png

Sorry the adapters are taking so long, I hit a slight artist's block with them initially and then have been pretty busy IRL the last week or so. Progress should pick up again soon. Obviously the textures are still WIP and these are just the "flat" adapters.

The thermal fabric is gorgeous!

Share your methods? :wink:

The thermal fabric is gorgeous!

Share your methods? :wink:

Sure I'd be happy to. I want to provide example images as well though, so it makes sense. Because of this, I might not be able to demonstrate until sometime during the weekend. I'll PM you when I get it up.

I still feel there's room for improvement on my part, but fabric is one of those things that takes a lot of practice to be able to plan the folds and wrinkles well. I like having it though as it breaks up the monotony of plates and adds some organic forms to the texture which makes it more interesting.

Sure I'd be happy to. I want to provide example images as well though, so it makes sense. Because of this, I might not be able to demonstrate until sometime during the weekend. I'll PM you when I get it up.

I still feel there's room for improvement on my part, but fabric is one of those things that takes a lot of practice to be able to plan the folds and wrinkles well. I like having it though as it breaks up the monotony of plates and adds some organic forms to the texture which makes it more interesting.

Great! Many thanks. :)

It is really effective on that mesh, absolutely does look like there is some kind of geometry going on under the fabric (Even though I think it is flat?).

My plans for the re-envisioned service modules in simplest form, is for them to basically be a combination of fuel tank and 6s service tube. This will make them less of an all-in-one part, but still allow for a good looking exterior to match the craft that inspired them. And hey, now you can build more specifically with the mission in mind. I will likely make both LFO and Monopropellant versions and I wouldn't worry too much about engine placement as I'm sure i can get it to look good with the majority of engines out there.

Awesome! And thanks for the reply. I can't wait to see how the new ones turn out. As it is, HGR is my favorite mod period for Soyuz analogues, so I wonder what the new looks are going to be.

Also, I found what was affecting the HGR inline chutes (turns out it also affected the larger model too), it was a conflict from a Tantares cfg, specifically "Tantares_Extra_RealChute.cfg" that was causing them to lose their chute capability. Thankfully that didn't take as long to troubleshoot as I feared...I'm just putting it out there in case someone else has similar problem so they aren't pulling their hair out :confused:

Taking a break to do a little testing of the new parts capabilities... (Messing around, seeing what I can make)

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y477/morrowindorion/screenshot25_zpscf57473d.png

Haven't quite got the balance down yet, I don't build many shuttles. OK, I'll get back to work now.

You're mixing up the RD-107 and the RD-170, two unrelated, if similar looking engines, differing most importantly in size. The RD-170 is enormous, as was the Buran, and is in fact the worlds largest rocket engine.

The RD-107 is far smaller, having about one 8th of the thrust.

ZhgZ3SS.png

Ok the adapters are in game now, so I've just got to do a thorough cleanup of the .cfgs and I can put up a download for the new tanks and move on to working on the engines. DL expected in the next day or two.

@Beale: Sorry I haven't written up my methods yet, I will try to ASAP.

The new Models look fabulous! I am wondering if I could ask you to make a modified version of your 1.875 to 2.5 adapter?

I use your exiting HGR mod combined with FASA to make the Titan I rocket (among many other uses I have for the HGR parts pack.) The 1.875m tank parts are perfect for Titan I's second stage (comparing to a 2.5m first stage.) Would it be possible to request out a hollowed out version of the 1.875 to 2.5 adapter to be used as a stack separator?

I feel the Size difference stack separators are seriously missing from the game at the moment. Thanks

Alrighty, the first Dev. build is now available from the front page and here: DOWNLOAD

This version is fully compatible with the original HGR, so feel free to give it a try and let me know what you think. :)

@Pappystein: I think that might be doable. Let me look into how other mods set up these types of parts and we'll see about adding them in.

hey Orionkermin, your revamp looks awesome to say the least! I'm wondering if down the road will you would be making SAS and battery parts of 1.875m size as well?

I deffinately want to make a reaction wheel, docking port, and SRB. The only reason I wasn't sure about the inline battery is, that I don't see people use the bigger ones often and wasn't sure if there was demand. If I make an inline battery I would probably make it a battery/fuel cell combo part, just for variety sake. I think it's kind of a shame we don't see many fuel cells when they're actually used often in real life.

I deffinately want to make a reaction wheel, docking port, and SRB. The only reason I wasn't sure about the inline battery is, that I don't see people use the bigger ones often and wasn't sure if there was demand. If I make an inline battery I would probably make it a battery/fuel cell combo part, just for variety sake. I think it's kind of a shame we don't see many fuel cells when they're actually used often in real life.

Great work Orion! I use the inline batteries quite a bit on space probes and other things that I need to be aerodynamic so an inline battery would be greatly appreciated.

Some WIP of the new G90. Texturing is ongoing.

G90_WIP_zps31ad9074.png

Edit: I'm not sure the yellow on the start tank. That will probably change to a more subdued color, as I think having all three primary colors in large amounts like this looks odd.

Edited by Orionkermin

Some WIP of the new G90. Texturing is ongoing.

Edit: I'm not sure the yellow on the start tank. That will probably change to a more subdued color, as I think having all three primary colors in large amounts like this looks odd.

You could make it a dirty orange, still have that "Hey, I'm a tank" without it being too in your face.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.