[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

853 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

7 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

On the way back down, it looked like she was going to hit the 30km mark at about the same time as slowing below mach 5. It was neck and neck for a bit, and ultimately the mach won - Val crossed the 30km line doing mach 4.95. Looking forward to at least another ribbon, we were surprised to discover that Val was awarded the mach II ribbon, rather than the mach IV ribbon. A decision has been reached, to award her the correct ribbon, but for future missions, might this be improved? Possibly in the next version of Final Frontier?

Well... as far as I remember mach number and altitude are checked every 1000m. Dunno why this has not triggered a ribbon. But the tests are not done every millisecond (for performance reasons), so maybe the mach 4 get unnoticed from FF and at the time it was checked just mach 2 was achieved.

Unfortunately there is no mach N event in KSP (as far as I know), so FF has implemented its own checks to recognize those situations. And the checks are not done in a ribbon specific way. At any point in time a situation changes (e.g. changing from mach 3 to mach 4) FF checks all (!) ribbons. Most checks are very, very simple but we really do not want to check those 50 times a second.

Conclusion: some of the ribbons have some kind of fuzzy rules - like in real life. Often the rules for military achievements are clear, but if you qualify for them its another story.

I do not like the current implementation for those "custom events" in FF anymore (and maybe some are unnecessary in KSP 1.2), but I'm a bit reluctant to change them. They are working in their current state and any change may introduce new bugs.

Edited by Nereid

• 2 weeks later...

I use KRASH and Final Frontier (along with other mods) and noticed last night that some Kerbals achieved awards in Final Frontier from a simulation flight, and when the simulation was over, they still had the awards.  I'm going to post this in the KRASH thread as well, as I do not know which one is causing the problem (KRASH not reverting everything correctly, or FF not respecting the revert).  Wasn't a big problem this time, as the 3 Kerbals who got the awards for first orbit in the simulation also flew the real thing (after which 2 of them promptly were obliterated).

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

How does FF store the award info?  what happens when someone reverts a game, or loads a save?

it's a Scenario node in the SFS file (HallOfFameScenarioModule) so game reverts will also revert FF stats, and loading saves will load new FF stats

Is there a way to convert old save games?  there is the option in the menu to "convert save games"- does it actually do anything?

I'm three years (game years) into my current career- I don't suppose the stats that Final Frontier tracks are saved somewhere in my save file?  I'm guessing the answer is no, and that a restart is necessary to really utilize the purpose of this mod.

1 hour ago, ble210 said:

I don't suppose the stats that Final Frontier tracks are saved somewhere in my save file?

I just answered that question one post above yours. If you don't see the stats in your save file then yes, you need to use the conversion tool to place them in the save file.

Edited by Drew Kerman

15 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I just answered that question one post above yours. If you don't see the stats in your save file then yes, you need to use the conversion tool to place them in the save file.

Hmmm, you'll have to forgive me, I'm pretty technologically inept (installing mods for KSP has been the pinnacle of my abilities).  Forgive me if I am missing the answer you've already given, and thank you for your time.

I just installed this mod, but when I open my savegame, all the Final Frontier stats for my Kerbals are blank (even though Jeb, for example, has 50 or so missions under his belt).  Is there a way to convert this old save, and have those old missions essentially populate the Final Frontier stat tracking, so that they are up to date?  If so, what exactly do I do?  What is the converter tool you speak of?

Thanks again for your time.

Edited by ble210

@ble210 I am very much afraid that you are out of luck. KSP itself does not keep track of who did what, so there is no way to get achievements based on what you did before you installed FF. Once it is installed, next trip to the Mun will be counted as the first in regards to achievements.

Ok, if you're going to use my mod pack, click on the kerbal's name, then the <Award Ribbon> button.

Scroll down until you find the ribbon you want, then click it. Then click <OK> and your Kerman has received his award. Once you recover the mission it is permanent.

Just now, adsii1970 said:

Ok, if you're going to use my mod pack, click on the kerbal's name, then the <Award Ribbon> button.

Scroll down until you find the ribbon you want, then click it. Then click <OK> and your Kerman has received his award. Once you recover the mission it is permanent.

No, Your mod works. This mod's ribbons don't work. 

Just now, adsii1970 said:

Your Kerbal actually has to earn them! The ribbons included in the original mod are based on game triggers, such as orbits, Eva's, etc...

Yes, I know.

But when I want to view all the available ribbons only those 2 and your ribbons show up.

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm not near my computer right now. Go in and delete my mod and let me know if that solves the issue. If it does, I need to change the base ID.

Yeah, it still showed 2 ribbons after I deleted your mod. I guess it's a problem with the stock ribbon system from THIS mod. 

EDIT: I'll try to unzip it a different way this time. crossing my fingers.

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

20 hours ago, ble210 said:

Is there a converter tool?  I downloaded this mod and am trying to get my prior saves to update each kerbonauts stats.

Ok, so I don't remember the details which is why I never bothered replying again. All I can say is that yes, when @Nereid switched from his own file format to storing data in the SFS save file he did include a conversion tool that was supposed to kick in when it detected the files. I think at the load up of the game. I don't recall. I just know its there and if it's not picking up your old files then maybe they aren't in a proper folder? Really can't help more than that but again yes, the conversion tool was made I remember using it myself but that's all I remember

Alright so on second thought the format of the old FF save files was very simple plain text. Copy and paste like the first 20 lines or so here in a spoiler box so I can see them an remember what they looked like and I can tell you how to insert them into your save file manually if you want if you can't get the converter to work. It's all just plain text.

Edited by Drew Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.