[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

849 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

Hey @Nereid, I think I've run into a small bug in Final Frontier. After I open and close the Final Frontier window in flight, or after some scene changes, I'm no longer able to open the Final Frontier window. I click the button in the toolbar and nothing happens. Pressing the hotkey shortcut (Left Alt + F) also seems to do nothing. I've noticed the following error messages appear in the console - the first being when I click the toolbar button, and the second for trying to open it via the hotkey.

2sWrvcw.png

Quitting to the main menu and reopening the save doesn't seem to fix it, only a full restart of the game gets it working again (until I repeat the previously mentioned steps, upon which it stops working again).

• 2 weeks later...

First thing I would do is to post a link to your log file so we can investigate what it shows.  What KSP and FF versions are you using?

Were I to guess, I would say you have a bad install somewhere, and not necessarily with FF since it doesn't behave this way for me under KSP 1.12.2 and FF 1.10 installed with CKAN.

• 2 weeks later...

As has been discussed previously this mod does not work with JNSQ's 12 hour days.  I was wondering if it was possible to alter the .cs data files directly whenever they mention time. For instance whenever it dictates that that it lookup mission time, assuming you have FF set to return Kerbin time of 6 hour days, can you have it set to return mission time x 2. Or possible reset the 24 hour time to return as 24/2? Earlier it was said that the timescale was hardcoded into the game data but I don't fully understand if what I am asking to do is possible. Because if I can manually alter the files I don't mind doing them so long as I know what nomenclature to alter and how to avoid messing up the code. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried adding this mod into my game today after forgetting about it and I downloaded the most recent version I could find linked here. However the game would throw up a weird error that pointed back to Tweakscale but never would allow me to move beyond it until I completely removed the folder with Final Frontier out of my Gamedata folder. Once I did that the game loaded as it should and I am able to play again. However I wanted to use Final Frontier as I really liked having it when playing KSP in the past.

Any idea if it is usable without CKAN? I don't really like using CKAN but if I have to I guess I will.

Edited by reschke

1 hour ago, reschke said:

I tried adding this mod into my game today after forgetting about it and I downloaded the most recent version I could find linked here. However the game would throw up a weird error that pointed back to Tweakscale but never would allow me to move beyond it until I completely removed the folder with Final Frontier out of my Gamedata folder. Once I did that the game loaded as it should and I am able to play again. However I wanted to use Final Frontier as I really liked having it when playing KSP in the past.

Any idea if it is usable without CKAN? I don't really like using CKAN but if I have to I guess I will.

Post your logs because FF and TweakScale shouldn't conflict at all - they do completely separate things.  I figure there's something else going on.  I don't use TS so I can't comment further on any interaction.

Read the post in my sig block below for guidance on how to report problems with modded installs.

I find CKAN truly helps prevent mod incompatibilities and manages updates quite well.  How did you install FF and from where?  What version of KSP and these mods are you trying to use?

4 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Post your logs because FF and TweakScale shouldn't conflict at all - they do completely separate things.  I figure there's something else going on.  I don't use TS so I can't comment further on any interaction.

Read the post in my sig block below for guidance on how to report problems with modded installs.

Thanks for the reply. I was going through all the modded install troubleshooting steps on my own before while composing that first post here. Anyway I tried a wonderful thing I learned many moons ago working at EIDOS Interactive in their QA team of removing the last items you put into the game to see if that removed the problem and then when I ran the game the logs were written over with the latest that doesn't have FF installed.

Here is a link to that last running log. It does not have FF in it because I removed it and the game works as it was before I added FF into the mod list.
Current log file without Final Frontier:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kgHNFqz-Xkcrxu7Jna1XaqilrLNoIwlo/view?usp=sharing

Previous Log file with Final Frontier:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WteJyZxsHZGx38MzM78QR0FdQ_E5-vAQ/view?usp=sharing

Also TS is included in some mods I am using but I didn't realize that until today.

I find CKAN truly helps prevent mod incompatibilities and manages updates quite well. 

Yeah I know I just never have had good luck running CKAN. I am from the original old school pre-CKAN KSP days and love the fact that you can still tweak anything with notepad++ and do it regularly.

How did you install FF and from where? 

Manual install and the link to FF from the first post in this thread.
https://spacedock.info/mod/580/Final Frontier/download/1.0.13-2539

What version of KSP and these mods are you trying to use?

Latest version of KSP and many mods. These are all the mods and I am using the latest versions that are known to work with the latest version of KSP...well minus Final Frontier.
https://gyazo.com/9226c66d25aedf2894a9e204c6411d85

Edited by reschke

First thing is to use the Zero MiniAVC mod from LinuxGuruGamer.   MiniAVC causes problems in later KSP versions and should be pruned from older mods.

Your FF version of the player.log shows KSPDev throwing exceptions.  I can't find references to that .dll, unless it's KSP_Dev_Utils, but I don't believe so since I can't find it in my install.  However, KSPe.Light.TweakScale is also complaining and you might find some relief at

There's a long explanation in the OP (updated only last Nov) but it does mention this utility.  Personally, I think the problem is with TweakScale and not FF, but I'm not much of an expert.

9 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Your FF version of the player.log shows KSPDev throwing exceptions.  I can't find references to that .dll, unless it's KSP_Dev_Utils, but I don't believe so since I can't find it in my install.  However, KSPe.Light.TweakScale is also complaining and you might find some relief at

There's a long explanation in the OP (updated only last Nov) but it does mention this utility.  Personally, I think the problem is with TweakScale and not FF, but I'm not much of an expert.

Nope. TweakScale is the one yelling about the problem, not the one causing it.

From the log using FF, I found:

Uploading Crash Report
TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'Nereid.FinalFrontier.EventObserver:lastVesselSurfacePosition' (7) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'KSPUtil, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. assembly:KSP
Util, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null type:<unknown type> member:(null) signature:<none>

Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Nereid.FinalFrontier.FinalFrontier' threw an exception.

There's a nasty problem on KSP throughly explained here. TL;DR: something borks while loading a DLL, two important things get broken inside KSP and from now on everybody trying to use these things borks too. It only happens that TweakScale is aware of the problem and yells everytime it happens, as loading a savegame with TweakScale unable to work due this problem leads to corrupted savegames.

So, yeah, Final Frontier is the one triggering the KSP problem.

47 minutes ago, reschke said:

Thanks @Brigadier I appreciate you taking a look at this. I'll look through those links you posted and I didn't know about the Zero miniAVC mod. That is a nice change.

Fix the KSP_Util thingy (I don't know what it is, but apparently the KSP_Util installed on your rig is not the version FF knows how to use) and the KSP problem will be avoided avoided, fixing everything that was broken after it.

Keep in mind that, as TweakScale, FF is not going to behave as expected until you fix this problem.

Cheers!

Edited by Lisias
better phrasing

Thanks @Lisias I decided to blow it all up and do a reinstall of KSP and add mods one by one to figure out who/what/when/where this "KSP_Util thingy" is that is causing the problem. I am going to add in FF first and then start adding from there.

5 hours ago, Lisias said:

So, yeah, Final Frontier is the one triggering the KSP problem.

Agree 100% now just need to find the other problem and try to target it for someone smarter with coding than me.

Fix the KSP_Util thingy (I don't know what it is, but apparently the KSP_Util installed on your rig is not the version FF knows how to use) and the KSP problem will be avoided avoided, fixing everything that was broken after it.

Keep in mind that, as TweakScale, FF is not going to behave as expected until you fix this problem.

Cheers!

Any idea on where the KSPUtil is located and how it functions within Final Frontier? I have looked through that mod and can't find a refernce to the KSPUtil or anything in the code shown below from the log files.

Nereid.FinalFrontier.EventObserver:lastVesselSurfacePosition

Edited by reschke

2 hours ago, reschke said:

Agree 100% now just need to find the other problem and try to target it for someone smarter with coding than me.

What does not makes FF the "culprit" for sure - sometimes I forget to mention it. Triggering a KSP problem can be made by pushing a trigger, or by innocently stepping on a landmine. :)

2 hours ago, reschke said:

Any idea on where the KSPUtil is located and how it functions within Final Frontier? I have looked through that mod and can't find a refernce to the KSPUtil or anything in the code shown below from the log files.

Hummm… KSPUtil is a KSP internal class (I forget about it everytime).

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/class_k_s_p_util.html

There's something else smelling on this stunt, I need to recheck your KSP logs. Can you send the new ones you have, just in case? With a brand new installation, perhaps something different is being logged and with a bit of luck, this can help. Sending also the KSP.log (and not only the Player.log) also can help a bit, as some information are not logged on the Player.

— — — POST EDIT — — — 

Just found the lastVesselSurfacePosition thingy on FF:

private Vector3d lastVesselSurfacePosition;

The error message is implying that the Vector3d thingy is causing the problem, because supposedly it was present on the KSPUtil Assembly when the code was compiled by the last time.

This thing still exists on the current API: https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/struct_vector3d.html

So the problem in your rig is something else. I can only guess by now, but at least are guesses based on what had already happened in the past:

• By some reason, the current directory for the KSP process is set wrongly, and so the KSP.exe is not being able to find the KSP DLLs.
    • I only heard of this on Linux (that has a different modus operandi for launching programs), however.
  • Your KSP installation is corrupted or missing some files.
    • Use Steam to verify the integrity of the installed files!
  • There's something else on your rig (usually a System DLL) that is corrupted or missing and preventing mono from loading the needed DLLs
    • But I think it's pretty unlikely somthing like this would happen without further error messages on the log...

I think (or hope) that your KSP.log file can throw some more light on the situation!

Edited by Lisias
POST EDIT.

5 hours ago, Lisias said:

What does not makes FF the "culprit" for sure - sometimes I forget to mention it. Triggering a KSP problem can be made by pushing a trigger, or by innocently stepping on a landmine. :)

Hummm… KSPUtil is a KSP internal class (I forget about it everytime).

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/class_k_s_p_util.html

There's something else smelling on this stunt, I need to recheck your KSP logs. Can you send the new ones you have, just in case? With a brand new installation, perhaps something different is being logged and with a bit of luck, this can help. Sending also the KSP.log (and not only the Player.log) also can help a bit, as some information are not logged on the Player.

— — — POST EDIT — — — 

Just found the lastVesselSurfacePosition thingy on FF:

private Vector3d lastVesselSurfacePosition;

The error message is implying that the Vector3d thingy is causing the problem, because supposedly it was present on the KSPUtil Assembly when the code was compiled by the last time.

This thing still exists on the current API: https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/struct_vector3d.html

So the problem in your rig is something else. I can only guess by now, but at least are guesses based on what had already happened in the past:

• By some reason, the current directory for the KSP process is set wrongly, and so the KSP.exe is not being able to find the KSP DLLs.
    • I only heard of this on Linux (that has a different modus operandi for launching programs), however.
  • Your KSP installation is corrupted or missing some files.
    • Use Steam to verify the integrity of the installed files!
  • There's something else on your rig (usually a System DLL) that is corrupted or missing and preventing mono from loading the needed DLLs
    • But I think it's pretty unlikely somthing like this would happen without further error messages on the log...

I think (or hope) that your KSP.log file can throw some more light on the situation!

I've been away from this for a few hours and it was all I could think about. So I hope you can forgive me with this error; I got a little frustrated and just grabbed all the mods and installed them again.

I appreciate your help with this and hope that my problems can help resolve someone else's either now or in the future. As for my install it is via Steam on a secondary...well probably my fourth or fifth SSD drive on my system (I forget which one). Anyway the game was running fine until I decided to add in Final Frontier and I didn't mention this but I hadn't played KSP in about a year before starting back up a week or so ago. At that point I feel like I started chasing down error messages and created more issues by attempting to fix the problems by adding in or changing mods and "patches" some via CKAN and some manually. If this one is a little wonky just let me know and I will pare it back to just KSP and FF with Tweakscale and we can go from there.

Here is the link to the KSP.log file here

The player file is the most recent and the player-prev file is the last working one with just Kerbalized suits mod active. Link to the player.log and player-prev.log

Edited by reschke