[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

849 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

This is actually a part of the stock game, unless you have a mod that prevents dead Kerbals from respawning, you have to go into your persistence file{in your saved games folder} and find the code line that says,

DIFFICULTY

{

MissingCrewsRespawn = True

and change that to

DIFFICULTY

{

MissingCrewsRespawn = False

This will stop Kerbals from respawning on death

If it helps, the TAC life support mod has something that's in-game that does this. It sets the respawn time for dead kebals to a very large number.

Note, I'm not sure how this would work / conflict if you took the same approach and someone had TAClifesupport installed too... Or any other mod that forces no/long respawn times for that matter.

My TAC Life Support mod just exposes the "MissingCrewsRespawn" game setting: https://github.com/taraniselsu/TacLifeSupport/blob/master/Source/GameSettings.cs#L43. So there will not be a conflict if you do the same.

Unfortunately, my change to the respawn time only affects Kerbals killed by my mod -- not those killed by the game or other mods: https://github.com/taraniselsu/TacLifeSupport/blob/86224f5d5390af47477645ded29e3b3bf5eba8d3/Source/LifeSupportController.cs#L568. I agree that the default is way too short at only 36 minutes.

Hi

I really love your MOD, I think its great. Is it possible to get the date added to the change log on the first post to this thread, or have I missed it somewhere? I appreciate you create a new post each time you update it. Other than that, thanks again for an amazing mod :) #kerbalfirstworldproblems

Nereid - are you going to add all those? God I am sooooo excited!

Also - love your kitty picture!

I will include all of them this weekend, perhaps one or two days erlier. I will also include the graphics created by Unistrut.

There are still reports of missing ribbon graphics for unknown reasons. I will change the load path to solve this, but I still don't understand what went wrong for a few users.

Summary:

• new custom ribbons.
  • ribbon graphics created by Unistrut.
  • minor changes in the load path for ribbon graphics.
  • log output for docking operations, because there is a bug report.
  • permadeath for kerbals (?)

Edited by Nereid
typos

Final Frontier 0.2.7 experimental

I have uploaded a experimental version of 0.2.7.

New features:

• Some new custom ribbons from nothke and SmarterThanMe
  • new texture usage (no direct load anymore, KSP handles this now)
  • permadeath may not work yet;

Edited by Nereid
typos

Final Frontier 0.2.7 experimental

I have uploaded a experimental version of 0.2.7.

New features:

• Some new custom ribbons from nothke and SmarterThanMe
  • new texture usage (no direct load anymore, KSP handles this now)
  • permadeath may not work yet;

Fantastic! Will try in a little bit!

Seem to have run into a bug. I upgraded from 2.2c to 2.7 today, and all of my ribbons were gone. I checked the halloffame.ksp file and it's fine. Tested a few different saves, all the same. I tried to force a new halloffame.ksp file by backing mine up and removing it. No file was made at all, despite the logs. I added another mod (TAC Life Support) today, so tried without that one installed. Still nothing.

I "reverted" to 2.3b to see if that worked, and it does. All the ribbons in place. I'm on a Mac, which used to have the filepath bug, but the logs are pointing to the right file. I'm out of ideas, and I really would like those custom ribbons! Any ideas?

Logfile for completeness: http://cl.ly/410V0U0O253H (note: I run a kerbal-ton of mods, so the file's quite large for a log) During this session I simply loaded the game and checked the FF menu/window. Let me know if you need more info!

OK, I've updated my ribbons, and placed them into the GameData directory format required for mods (so you just need to drag and drop the GameData folder, and say "Yes" to overwriting).

Download from: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfryliw9k680m4b/STM_Updated_Ribbons_for_0.2.7.zip

I've also included some of the new ones that I've done:

STM1.png

In terms of the old ones, I've just changed them slightly to fit with the visual style already used (i.e., a white border). I also changed the lead engineer because... Well. I figure electricity had to be accounted for somehow and Kerbals are just as likely to use a spanner as a hammer than anything else.

Starting from the left, the news ones are:

(1) Bosun : For being the lead officer in charge of operations on a significant expedition or mission with a major piloting task or series of tasks.

(2) ??? : Secret (actually I made this at the request of someone, and I'm not sure what they're using it for - my original design had axes!);

(3) Qualified - Mission Scientist : For having the necessary skills and knowledge, attained a higher degree in a relevant scientific discipline, and completing the space mission training program, and thereby qualified to conduct advanced scientific research as a member of the Kerbal Space Program;

(4) Qualified - Mission Operations : For having the necessary skills and knowledge, and completing the space mission training program, and thereby qualified to manage control, life support and navigational equipment aboard a craft as a member of the Kerbal Space Program;

(5) Qualified - Mission Engineering : For having the necessary skills and knowledge, and completing the space mission training program, and thereby qualified to manage engines, power, fuel, electrical, mechanical, and computing, communications equipment, as well as to conduct repairs inside craft and in EVA as a member of the Kerbal Space Program.

I use 3, 4 and 5 to distinguish between Kerbals with differing skills. So, Jeb obviously gets the red Operations band. Bob and Bill both get Operations and either Science or Engineering. I then sort the crew according to their abilities. Loosely based off of Star Trek, although I strongly dislike the Gold uniforms, so they've been substituted out for dark blue...

Does anyone have any suggestions for any custom ribbons I could do? Of course, whether or not Nereid wants to code for them later is up to him.

-- edit: forgot the link.

Edited by SmarterThanMe
forgot the link!

As discussed aside, using 0.2.7. Before I upgraded, the alt-f trick was working. Not its not. I dont use the button toolbar normally (thats how I verified earlier) so would prefer to have this or something else. TIA

I will check this. In this version the Update Method which detects the ALT-F has changed. Normally I won't test the key shortcut (because I personally don't use it often).

Nice idea on custom Ribbons in Experimental version. :)

But it seems they do not save. Or at least the one I gave to Jeb did not stay. It was gone the next time I checked Ribbons.

They should stay. But the game has to be saved of course. The game is marked as 'updated' when a custom ribbon is assigned, but I don't realy know if this works as expected. If not and you are not in flight and don't save your game, the custom ribbons are reverted, because they were assigned after the game timestamp of the prior saved game when loaded.

Edited by Nereid

Seem to have run into a bug. I upgraded from 2.2c to 2.7 today, and all of my ribbons were gone. I checked the halloffame.ksp file and it's fine. Tested a few different saves, all the same. I tried to force a new halloffame.ksp file by backing mine up and removing it. No file was made at all, despite the logs. I added another mod (TAC Life Support) today, so tried without that one installed. Still nothing.

I "reverted" to 2.3b to see if that worked, and it does. All the ribbons in place. I'm on a Mac, which used to have the filepath bug, but the logs are pointing to the right file. I'm out of ideas, and I really would like those custom ribbons! Any ideas?

Logfile for completeness: http://cl.ly/410V0U0O253H (note: I run a kerbal-ton of mods, so the file's quite large for a log) During this session I simply loaded the game and checked the FF menu/window. Let me know if you need more info!

I have changed the way I get to the KSP root path. It works on Windows, but maybe not on Macs. Check your inbox in a few hours, perhaps we get it right then.

And please take a look, if your halloffame.ksp isn't located in the save game folder. I'm currently at the office, so I can't do much now.

There is another quirk in 0.2.8 with a ribbon with incorrect upper/lowercase. But this ribbon is hard to get, so it should be rare and only existent if you overwrite the FF installation (without deleting the FF folder first).

Odd I am not getting this bug so far all mine have saved.

Just keep in mind: if you assign a ribbon in a mission and you revert the mission, then the ribbon (and all its custom text you entered) is lost. Assigning a custom ribbon at the space center (i.e. not in a mission), may work or not. I have tested it and it works for me, but I'm not quite sure if it will work in any situation. The problem is, that game time wont proceed in this state and the ribbon were assigned AFTER the last save. Loading the last save game will then revert the time and ribbons, too. Leaving the game should (!) save it (because of the updated game status) but I don't really know if KSP will save the game then (normally it wont, because nothing had changed).

They should stay. But the game has to be saved of course. The game is marked as 'updated' when a custom ribbon is assigned, but I don't realy know if this works as expected. If not and you are not in flight and don't save your game, the custom ribbons are reverted, because they were assigned after the game timestamp of the prior saved game when loaded.

I'm encountering this bug also. IIRC, the circumstances are that I gave custom ribbons in either the Astronaut Complex view or in the Space Centre view. When the next mission was returned, the ribbons reset.

Will try again, this time assigning the ribbons elsewhere.

I will check this. In this version the Update Method which detects the ALT-F has changed. Normally I won't test the key shortcut (because I personally don't use it often).

Hmmm I did give it in the SpaceCenter View, I will try again and see what happens. Very possible I might of Reverted when making the vessel I was working on to fix some things.

The problem is, that assigning custom ribbons in space center is not related to a timestamp in a mission. I will see if I can prevent a revert somehow (using backward timestamps for example).

Oh I see what you have done. Makes sense now. Maybe only making custom ribbons available in Flight or SHP and VAB might be a better choice instead of trying to work around it. :)

I have changed the way I get to the KSP root path. It works on Windows, but maybe not on Macs. Check your inbox in a few hours, perhaps we get it right then.

And please take a look, if your halloffame.ksp isn't located in the save game folder. I'm currently at the office, so I can't do much now.

There is another quirk in 0.2.8 with a ribbon with incorrect upper/lowercase. But this ribbon is hard to get, so it should be rare and only existent if you overwrite the FF installation (without deleting the FF folder first).

I've PMed you as well, but it looks like it's what you were thinking. Filepath oddity on Macs. :) A little filesystem workaround and it's working ok.

I've PMed you as well, but it looks like it's what you were thinking. Filepath oddity on Macs. :) A little filesystem workaround and it's working ok.

I'm glad that we found a solution for this. To bad, it not that easy to build some automatic help for other Mac users...

If all other things are ok, I will upload 0.3.0 on spaceport this weekend. Maybe I will find a way to prevent the custom ribbon revert or I will limit custom ribbon awards to missions only. Unfortunately this is a limitation in KSP and there is not much I can do about it...

At least the missing ribbon graphics are solved and it frees some memory, too.

I'm glad that we found a solution for this. To bad, it not that easy to build some automatic help for other Mac users...

To work around this, could you simply make a "FinalFrontierSaves" folder in GameData? That way you stay away from overwriting your save file but still keep it inside GameData (which is easier to get to within the code).

To work around this, could you simply make a "FinalFrontierSaves" folder in GameData? That way you stay away from overwriting your save file but still keep it inside GameData (which is easier to get to within the code).

I have decided not to do this for a few reasons:

1. I sometimes save my savegames into a zip archive and I want to include the halloffame.ksp in a simple way (so you can't forget to include it in the zip).
  2. I wanted to make sure, that anybody who updates FF wont delete his progress just by mistake (and deleting the FF folder in GameData).
  3. The file should be easily editable; this is the main reason why I still use a separate file and don't add the data directly to the save game. This may change in a future release.

Unfortunately I was running into some path problems this way.