[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

849 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

I look at the Task Manager, click the Performance tab and then click Open Resource Monitor at the bottom.  

In the Resource Monitor, click the Memory tab.

Find KSP.exe, and report on the 4 columns which refer to memory:  Commit, Working Set, Shareable and Private

You can also report the total memory shown in the Task Manager, in the Memory column

So far, I haven't seen the issue.  In fact, KSP seems to use LESS memory when FF is installed than without.  I've tested on my own install and one sent to me by @Jade_Falcon

For those who are seeing the memory issue, please report how you are measuring memory.

And does it happen when getting to the main menu, or when you get into a game?

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I look at the Task Manager, click the Performance tab and then click Open Resource Monitor at the bottom.  

In the Resource Monitor, click the Memory tab.

Find KSP.exe, and report on the 4 columns which refer to memory:  Commit, Working Set, Shareable and Private

You can also report the total memory shown in the Task Manager, in the Memory column

So far, I haven't seen the issue.  In fact, KSP seems to use LESS memory when FF is installed than without.  I've tested on my own install and one sent to me by @Jade_Falcon

For those who are seeing the memory issue, please report how you are measuring memory.

And does it happen when getting to the main menu, or when you get into a game?

What version of ksp you want this tested on? Mods no mods, dlcs?

1 hour ago, Temeriki said:

What version of ksp you want this tested on? Mods no mods, dlcs?

1.8, if possible.  Both with and without mods.  Obviously with FF, but please supply a complete modlist.

Also, how you measured memory

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 12/1/2019 at 7:01 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Thank you, I’ll look at it later.

I would like a few more from other people

I can post mine tonight - sorry for the late response, but I was offline all Thanksgiving weekend. Just read the prior posts.

Memory Report

KSP 1.8.1 clean install, both DLCs.  As applicable, FF v1.7.0-3466 installed by CKAN, Career save, normal difficulty.

Total System Memory 32GB (In use: 8.1GB, Committed: 10/36.5), memory usage is the average of three runs, after an initial run of the new install.

No mods, at Main Menu:

Commit Working Set Shareable Private
4,397,151 3,123,616 54,892 3,068,725

At KSC:

4,443,148 3,133,509 56,143 3,078,288

With FF, at Main Menu

6,494,828 3,497,079 55,032 3,442,713

At KSC:

6,479,988 3,308,528 56,309 3,252,261

There was no appreciable difference when entering or exiting the FF Hall of Fame at the KSC view.  At the end of the exercise, however, there was an increase in the In Use memory to 8.5GB but no change to Committed, as reported by Task Manager.  At first glance, KSP/Unity is leaking.

I'm a long time forum-lurker/browser but just created an account because I'm having the same issue and have been trying to track this down.  I stumbled into the FF thread totally by accident.

Alas, my forum account is new, so I can't DM anyone yet.

@linuxgurugamer if you can DM me details about getting you the save file and mod list, please do...else I'll wait till I've got enough posts / delay to send it.

For reference, I'm running 1.7.3 on a machine with a lot of RAM (64...recent upgrade from a 16GB gaming rig) and haven't paid much attention to RAM usage until it started taking about 6-10 seconds to load map view in-game.  I took about a month break from playing and I don't remember that kind of delay.  Naturally, I added some mods before I started playing again last week, so I am not 100% sure what the culprit is...initially I thought it was something else, so I was doing clean installs followed by incremental mod application.  I run with a lot of mods, but prior till now, my only delay is the initial loading of the game.

When I run KSP without FF, this is the output of the Resource Monitor, Memory tab for KSP_x64.exe at the main menu (not loading a game): 

• Commit - 11.6GB / Working Set - 10.7GB / Shareable - 48.5MB / Private - 10.7GB

When I load a game and go to the Tracking Station without FF, the four memory values are:

• Commit - 13.1GB / Working Set - 12.0GB / Shareable - 49.3MB / Private - 12.0GB

When I run KSP with FF, this is the output of the Resource Monitor, Memory tab for KSP_x64.exe at the main menu (not loading a game): 

• Commit - 16.1GB / Working Set - 14.6GB / Shareable - 48.6MB / Private - 14.5GB

When I load a game and go to the Tracking Station with FF, the four memory values are:

• Commit - 17.7GB / Working Set - 15.9GB / Shareable - 49.5MB / Private - 15.8GB

Turning off FF doesn't seem to help my map load issue but it does appear to affect my RAM usage in a non-trivial amount.

3 hours ago, Klock said:

When I run KSP without FF, this is the output of the Resource Monitor, Memory tab for KSP_x64.exe at the main menu (not loading a game): 

• Commit - 11.6GB / Working Set - 10.7GB / Shareable - 48.5MB / Private - 10.7GB

When I load a game and go to the Tracking Station without FF, the four memory values are:

• Commit - 13.1GB / Working Set - 12.0GB / Shareable - 49.3MB / Private - 12.0GB

When I run KSP with FF, this is the output of the Resource Monitor, Memory tab for KSP_x64.exe at the main menu (not loading a game): 

• Commit - 16.1GB / Working Set - 14.6GB / Shareable - 48.6MB / Private - 14.5GB

When I load a game and go to the Tracking Station with FF, the four memory values are:

• Commit - 17.7GB / Working Set - 15.9GB / Shareable - 49.5MB / Private - 15.8GB

Turning off FF doesn't seem to help my map load issue but it does appear to affect my RAM usage in a non-trivial amount.

Any chance you can test on 1.8.1?

Anyone who want to test on 1.8.1, PM me and I'll get you the DLL which I've built.  This will help eliminate any differences due to a different dll

3 hours ago, Klock said:

For reference, I'm running 1.7.3 on a machine with a lot of RAM (64...recent upgrade from a 16GB gaming rig) and haven't paid much attention to RAM usage until it started taking about 6-10 seconds to load map view in-game.  I took about a month break from playing and I don't remember that kind of delay.  Naturally, I added some mods before I started playing again last week, so I am not 100% sure what the culprit is...initially I thought it was something else, so I was doing clean installs followed by incremental mod application.  I run with a lot of mods, but prior till now, my only delay is the initial loading of the game.

I, too, have a heavily moded 1.7.3 save and am experiencing the same problem - a long delay switching from flight to map view, but not the other way.  I originally thought it was the number of active flights I had but I've ruled that out based on other's experiences.  Like you, it wasn't always present and last I looked there's no log spam indicating a problem there.  I have no evidence what it is at the moment but I doubt it's a FF problem.

11 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

@Brigadier Are you using Kopernicus? There's a known issue regarding this delay, see here https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/382

Yes, I do because I play GPP on my 1.7.3 install.  I followed the link and created the patch but the problem still occurs.  Thanks for the info though.

@VoidSquid, thanks, I can confirm that my map loading delay issue is resolved with the Kopernicus thread you provided. 

In the interests of staying on-topic though, I'll still help test the FF memory issue as I'm observing it on 1.7.3.

@linuxgurugamer I hope to be able to test the 1.8.1 + FF test tonight.

Do you want this with a base install plus/minus FF?

Or, do you want me to additionally/instead test with my working mod list?  My 1.7.3 is weighing in at about 121 mods whereas only about 99 mods are available on 1.8.1.  It's enough of a difference that maybe it'll matter...but maybe not.

v1.8.1

• Commit - 3.02GB / Working Set - 1.82GB / Shareable - 39.6MB / Private - 1.78GB

• Commit - 3.09GB / Working Set - 1.85GB / Shareable - 39.8MB / Private - 1.81GB

• Commit - 3.03GB / Working Set - 1.84GB / Shareable - 40.2MB / Private - 1.80GB

• Commit - 3.20GB / Working Set - 1.91GB / Shareable - 45.0MB / Private - 1.87GB

It does appear to be FF on v1.7.3...I'd be on 1.8.1 as soon as Kopernicus and a few other mods are updated.  Though, I can't really see what the memory usage spike from FF does to my 1.7.3 game after I've patched the Kopernicus/map load delay issue.

To all, 

I have tested the mod using a 1.8.1 build and have not seen any issues regarding excessive memory usage.

Additionally, the following users have also tested with the same results:

@Brigadier

@micha

@Temeriki

@VoidSquid

My thanks to you all for testing, you helped confirm my own findings.

My only conclusion is that one of two things has been happening:

• Bad garbage collection in pre 1.8 versions of the game
  • Specific users had weird things happening which caused excessive memory usage

Since @Nereid is back and will be updating the mod in a few weeks, I am ceasing investigating this mod.

Found a sort of bug. I got credit for "landing with <1% fuel remaining with no deployable parachutes" when I think I shouldn't have since I think it's intended for a powered landing. I'm in career mode so the only 1.25-2.5 adapter I have is the fuel tank which I used to refill the main tank in a lower stage while in flight so it was empty and there were no attached engines. I then splashed the craft down with four parachutes in use and got the award. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 2:02 AM, Salnonax said:

Found a sort of bug. I got credit for "landing with <1% fuel remaining with no deployable parachutes" when I think I shouldn't have since I think it's intended for a powered landing. I'm in career mode so the only 1.25-2.5 adapter I have is the fuel tank which I used to refill the main tank in a lower stage while in flight so it was empty and there were no attached engines. I then splashed the craft down with four parachutes in use and got the award. 

But you had a fuel tank? And it was empty? Then you qualified for this ribbon, because you met all its conditions.

Kerbal logic is simple logic. :)

Maybe. If anyone can reproduce this, please tell me and please keep a save just before the landing.

BTW: There is still quite a few lines old code in FF from old days , where KSP was buggy (e.g. didn't fire some events). And it was my first project in C#, (and in Unity) written in about two weeks (or less) initially. So weird things may happen. But changing them and streamlining the code is to much work and will introduce to many bugs. None of my friends is playing KSP - at least not regulary. And I'm very reluctant to change any basic things at the moment without at least two or three people testing it. And then there are other games at the moment that get my attention.