[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

853 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

Looks like the FAR adapter needs an update for the most recent FAR. Getting this spammed in my logs:

Fixed. please donwload the optional package again.

BTW: I got

[EXC 10:37:05.858] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'JsonFx, Version=2.0.1209.2800, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=315052dd637f8a52' or one of its dependencies.

every few seconds.

Any idea anyone what is causing this?

Just a minor proposal:

Do not change the installation path! Final Frontier must reside under GameData/Nereid

If you do already realize that some players seem to not want them in the dir gamedata/nereid, then is it too much effort to ask yourself WHY they might have an issue with the naming scheme?

Developers putting their games/mods into folders called foo/devname/gamename or foo/studioname/gamename or even (WTF?) foo/publishername/studioname/gamename is GODDAMN CONFUSING TO THE USER. It makes it really hard to keep track and maintain one's own installed software, because one can - from the relevant super-dir (here: gamedata) no longer quickly see which mod is where.

Sooo, just a hint to plugin developers in general: Maybe it would make more sense to consider yourself not more important, than the user's need to organise his own software on his own computer - instead of simply complaining that some users refuse to accept your egomaniac naming scheme and this way mess up installations.

Just a minor proposal:

If you do already realize that some players seem to not want them in the dir gamedata/nereid, then is it too much effort to ask yourself WHY they might have an issue with the naming scheme?

Developers putting their games/mods into folders called foo/devname/gamename or foo/studioname/gamename or even (WTF?) foo/publishername/studioname/gamename is GODDAMN CONFUSING TO THE USER.

If you take a look into the archive, there is a folder GameData. So why should a user try to change this? This is not confusing, because it's clear what to do. Just extract the GameData folder into the KSP-Home or the contents of the GamData folder into Gamedata. If this confuses anybody, he is not yet ready for an alpha release like KSP anyway.

It makes it really hard to keep track and maintain one's own installed software, because one can - from the relevant super-dir (here: gamedata) no longer quickly see which mod is where.

This could be easily solved with a plugin or tool. But nobody has created one. So I think there is really no use for it.

Sooo, just a hint to plugin developers in general: Maybe it would make more sense to consider yourself not more important, than the user's need to organise his own software on his own computer - instead of simply complaining that some users refuse to accept your egomaniac naming scheme and this way mess up installations.

Personally I like the naming scheme other like Romfarer, Triggertech, Klockheed_Martian, MagicSmokeIndustries, Lionhead_Aerospace_Inc and others are using. I don't like dependencies other create (e.g. a Firespitter folder at the same level of the plugin folder), because this confuses me. So I have decided to put my work including all dependencies (excluding the toolbar) just under GameData/Nereid.

No change planed. There is just no need for this.

EDIT: And there is a real problem if a user changes the naming scheme. What if a plugin uses a library (like Firespitter) and just puts this in his main folder? If a user changes the naming scheme and installs another plugin of this modder he will have two versions of the library installed. So changing the naming scheme can only be done by users with higher skill levels (they have to know about such dependencies). And user with this kind of skill level already know what todo, when changing the naming scheme fails. Any other user should never try to change naming schemes, install paths and something like this at all. It's just beyond his knowledge.

Edited by Nereid

Fixed. please donwload the optional package again.

Cool thanks.

BTW: I got

[EXC 10:37:05.858] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'JsonFx, Version=2.0.1209.2800, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=315052dd637f8a52' or one of its dependencies.

every few seconds.

Any idea anyone what is causing this?

Mod with ModStatistics which doesn't include JsonFx.dll? FAR didn't include it until 0.14.0.1 if you look at the changelog.

I swore I thought I saw you say you were about to upload a new version 5.9

I was about to boot KSP, but i thought I'd wait, and now I cant find that post. Am I dense?

Do you mean http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84409-0-24-0-NanoGauges-tiny-ana1og-gauges-for-kerbalnauts-0-5-9?p=1286553&viewfull=1#post1286553?

That's 0.5.9 for NanoGauges.

So, I've encountered a very serious bug in x64 0.24, and I THINK that it's being caused by FinalFrontier.

I have two saves, one career and one sandbox. I installed FF shortly after starting these saves. As a result some of the awards, such as first in space and such, were awarded to the wrong Kerbals. I used the FF menu from the Space Center scene to revoke the ribbons that kerbals had not actually earned. I thought I would be able to re-award them through the GUI to the right kerbals, but it seems that's only allowed for the custom ribbons. Fair enough, I thought, I'll just savefile edit them into the right locations to receive the awards for "firsts". However, before I could do this, I encountered the bug I'm referring to. When I click on the launchpad to launch a new vessel, I get the usual GUI, then when I hit launch nothing happened. So, I click on the Launchpad again. GUI comes up and I click launch, nothing. so instead I decide to go to the VAB to launch. clicking it doesn't change scenes. click, click, click. At first I thought it was the "right-click" bug introduced by Unity 4, but after about 30 clicks, left and right, nothing. So I try the Research and development center. This time the scene changes but when I hit close, the contract and notification buttons from the space center scene, along with the bottom timewarp and exit buttons, are now overlayed on top of the R&D scene. At this point, nothing I do is effective so my only option is Alt-F4. I attempted this again and again three times and each time I get roughly the same result, only in different scenes.

I haven't changed anything else except for those ribbons in FinalFrontier, so I believe that's what's causing this. I should note, that this bug is NOT occurring in my sandbox save on which I haven't touched the ribbons.

EDIT: I was able to get my save to work again, however I only managed it by reverting to a quicksave from before I played around in the FF menu. Thankfully that save wasn't TOO old, but now I don't wanna touch the FF menu because I have no idea how I caused that error the first time...

EDIT 2: I tried to recreate this bug on a new save after launching Jeb to orbit and back. I earned him some ribbons doing that, and then revoked a few, played around changing all sorts of settings. I still couldn't recreate it. I'll continue playing as before, I suppose, just making sure to quicksave at the end of every mission, so that, should this bug occur again, I can revert. I did look at the log file while I still had the bug, and I thought it was curiouis that more than half of the entries in the log were "FF". I know nothing of the code, so I couldn't exectly be sure of anything wrong. I should note that I did see a bunch of NullReferenceExceptions near the bottom, but, I don't know, were those caused by me force quitting the game with Alt-F4?

EDIT 3: Turns out I left the Log text open all this time. Here it is. dunno if this is helpful to you.

http://filebin.ca/1U4B8UqeIr62/KSPlog.txt

and as it turns out this log text is massive. Pastebin, nor Text Upload allowed it. I don't think I've ever seen a log file at 1.15MB :S

Edited by MarcRan17
log

So, I've encountered a very serious bug in x64 0.24, and I THINK that it's being caused by FinalFrontier.

I have two saves, one career and one sandbox. I installed FF shortly after starting these saves. As a result some of the awards, such as first in space and such, were awarded to the wrong Kerbals. I used the FF menu from the Space Center scene to revoke the ribbons that kerbals had not actually earned. I thought I would be able to re-award them through the GUI to the right kerbals, but it seems that's only allowed for the custom ribbons. Fair enough, I thought, I'll just savefile edit them into the right locations to receive the awards for "firsts". However, before I could do this, I encountered the bug I'm referring to. When I click on the launchpad to launch a new vessel, I get the usual GUI, then when I hit launch nothing happened. So, I click on the Launchpad again. GUI comes up and I click launch, nothing. so instead I decide to go to the VAB to launch. clicking it doesn't change scenes. click, click, click. At first I thought it was the "right-click" bug introduced by Unity 4, but after about 30 clicks, left and right, nothing. So I try the Research and development center. This time the scene changes but when I hit close, the contract and notification buttons from the space center scene, along with the bottom timewarp and exit buttons, are now overlayed on top of the R&D scene. At this point, nothing I do is effective so my only option is Alt-F4. I attempted this again and again three times and each time I get roughly the same result, only in different scenes.

I haven't changed anything else except for those ribbons in FinalFrontier, so I believe that's what's causing this. I should note, that this bug is NOT occurring in my sandbox save on which I haven't touched the ribbons.

Ok, I will try to analyze this. I still had no time to play career or do anything else than playing around with sandbox a bit. But currently I don't believe this is caused by FF. Maybe a strange KSP/Unity-Bug.

There is only one change in the new FF that eats some GUI events to prevent a click-through in the GUI windows. Unfornately this doesn't work for buttons anyway, but maybe this have some strange sideeffects, too.

EDIT: Which version of KSP are you using (32 bit, 63bit)? Wich version of FF? Overlooked the first line in your posting. Answer is x64 0.24,

Edited by Nereid

If you take a look into the archive, there is a folder GameData.

Errr, again: Did you THINK about what people say - in this case me? I wasn't refering to gamdata, but putting files in "gamedata/nereid/FinalFrontier" as opposed to "gamedata/FinalFrontier" or if you want to avoid naming collisions "gamedata/nereid_FinalFrontier".

This could be easily solved with a plugin or tool.

Oh god... What the hell? First you're breaking the PURPOSE OF A FILESYSTEM, and then you're inventing ADDITIONAL software to manage, to deal with what you broke? Do you like to CAUSE problems, so that patches to the SYMPTOMS can be justified? What is this - pharma?

I'm sorry for putting it like this - i respect you a lot for your work on KSP, nereid. Your plugins greatly add to my and other's game experience. Still, what you wrote above, is quite simply retarded.

Personally I like the naming scheme other like Romfarer, Triggertech, Klockheed_Martian, MagicSmokeIndustries, Lionhead_Aerospace_Inc and others are using. I don't like dependencies other create (e.g. a Firespitter folder at the same level of the plugin folder), because this confuses me.

Who cares when the user cannot even find the plugin he's looking for??? Unless one memorizes which "vendor" made which "product", one has to browse through EVERY GODDAMN DIRECTORY by trial and error, to find the "product" one is looking for. THAT is confusing, and most of the devs you mentioned in the quote are doing this crap.

Again, anyone responding to such criticism with "namespaces!" i can only call devoid of any creativity: You want your oh so important name as a unique identifier (namespace)? Then just make it part of the directoryname! gamedata/Vendorname_Productname/ <-- was that so hard?

Edited by rynak

Who cares when the user cannot even find the plugin he's looking for??? Unless one memorizes which "vendor" made which "product", one has to browse through EVERY GODDAMN DIRECTORY by trial and error, to find the "product" one is looking for. THAT is confusing, and most of the devs you mentioned in the quote are doing this crap.

Calm down.

Errr, again: Did you THINK about what people say - in this case me? I wasn't refering to gamdata, but putting files in "gamedata/nereid/FinalFrontier" as opposed to "gamedata/FinalFrontier" or if you want to avoid naming collisions "gamedata/nereid_FinalFrontier".

You said that people are confused. They aren't. Its clear what to do. Just extract the folder.

Oh god... What the hell? First you're breaking the PURPOSE OF A FILESYSTEM, and then you're inventing ADDITIONAL software to manage, to deal with what you broke?

That's not true. I'm not breaking the purpose of a filesystem. I'm using the filesystem as it IS supposed to do. You are completely wrong in this case.

EDIT:

Who cares when the user cannot even find the plugin he's looking for???

Is it really that hard for a user to use the search system provided by the file explorer? A quick search gives the result in seconds.

Do you like to CAUSE problems, so that patches to the SYMPTOMS can be justified? What is this - pharma?

I will NOT discuss with you that way.

I have told you, why I have made that decision. I won't change it. Respect this, or go away. Nothing more to say.

Edited by Nereid

EDIT 3: Turns out I left the Log text open all this time. Here it is. dunno if this is helpful to you.

http://filebin.ca/1U4B8UqeIr62/KSPlog.txt

and as it turns out this log text is massive. Pastebin, nor Text Upload allowed it. I don't think I've ever seen a log file at 1.15MB :S

Yeah, thanks. That IS indeed helpful. I can't really analyze this just at this moment, but a few observations:

1. The log level FF is set to detail or trace. This causes the amount of logging. But for debugging, this is good news. :)
  2. The line "[LOG 00:46:26.714] FF: no element for code M10 found in pool (Nereid.FinalFrontier.ActionPool)" tells, that there is a code in the halloffame.ksp, that FF dont know. But this should not break the game, its just gets ignored.
  3. there are some NullReferenceExceptions that CAN be caused by FF. Maybe FF is not causing this, but I will check if there is a bug just after loading the hall of fame.

EDIT2: I was wrong in point 2. One of the last changes in FF was the implementation of different pools for ribbons/actions. And M10 is a ribbon not an action, so its quite normal not to be found in this pool (FF checks anyway, because it doesn't know this until it gets it in the other pool). So this is not your fault.

Conclusion: Do you have edited the halloffame.ksp? If yes, maybe there are some lines incorrect (it seems so). Anyway this should not cause any malfunctions of KSP or such strange effects in the GUI. But the NullReferenceExceptions can cause this (and maybe some new bug made FF less robust against such errors).

EDIT: Yes, the log level of FF is trace:

[LOG 00:45:36.379] FF: log level is TRACE

But again, for debugging or reporting a bug, this is more helpful than INFO. I really wish all user would give THAT amount of information without beeing asked. ;)

EDIT: Did you change the log level intentionaly? If not: Anybody else with log level TRACE by default?

EDIT: What the hell is happening here?

[LOG 00:45:00.408] FF: adding toolbar buttons
[EXC 00:45:00.409] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.420] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.475] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.612] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.624] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.637] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.647] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.655] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.663] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.670] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.678] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.692] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.709] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.726] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 00:45:00.742] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 00:45:00.894] FF: destroying Final Frontier

Edited by Nereid

Well, since you're putting it like this, nereid - which is a reaction i really wasn't expecting:

Plugin deleted. I won't bother you anymore - permanently.

Make sure you delete the Squad folder too, its the same way. God the nerve of those guys putting their own name in the GameData folder.

Edited by Rockstar04

I can't get this to work on the new KSP. When I install it the menu runs just fine, but I can't actually get into a game. Anyone have this issue? Any ideas? I am running KSP 64 bit off of Steam.

I am having the same issue. To better explain the symptom:

I can load to the main menu

I can click on start

I cannot click on Resume Saved Game (the window doesn't pop up)

I cannot start a new game (the window pops up, but after confirming flag, name, mode (selecting career) it kind of freezes (it isn't frozen, just not moving)

I removed Final Frontier and it works fine (well, at least getting into game, but at that point FF is not longer part of the equation)

To clarify the freezes, the game is still responsive (Kerbin is also still rotating normally) to windows but it is refusing to drop into game.

Here is the output_log.txt after clicking resume save

Here is the output_log.txt when it freezes after start new

Here it is after I close KSP_64.exe

I am having the same issue. To better explain the symptom:

I can load to the main menu

I can click on start

I cannot click on Resume Saved Game (the window doesn't pop up)

I cannot start a new game (the window pops up, but after confirming flag, name, mode (selecting career) it kind of freezes (it isn't frozen, just not moving)

I removed Final Frontier and it works fine (well, at least getting into game, but at that point FF is not longer part of the equation)

To clarify the freezes, the game is still responsive (Kerbin is also still rotating normally) to windows but it is refusing to drop into game.

Here is the output_log.txt after clicking resume save

Here is the output_log.txt when it freezes after start new

Here it is after I close KSP_64.exe

Can you please provide the KSP.log? There is a nullpointer exception. Maybe this is caused by a missing texture.

Note for me: make FF more robust in that part of the code. We already had some strange effects like zip archive not extracted completely (i.e. ribbon graphics were missing)

EDIT: I knew about those symtoms. I usually have them myself if I have messed something completely up. Maye this is the case here, maybe it caused by other things. I need a few hours to get this solved.

EDIT2: Installed the archive directly and all is working fine for me. So I do not have messed all up and zipped the wrong dll. Unfortunately this is not the best case, because its makes it harder to reproduce...

Edited by Nereid

Can you please provide the KSP.log? There is a nullpointer exception. Maybe this is caused by a missing texture.

Note for me: make FF more robust in that part of the code. We already had some strange effects like zip archive not extracted completely (i.e. ribbon graphics were missing)

EDIT: I knew about those symtoms. I usually have them myself if I have messed something completely up. Maye this is the case here, maybe it caused by other things. I need a few hours to get this solved.

EDIT2: Installed the archive directly and all is working fine for me. So I do not have messed all up and zipped the wrong dll. Unfortunately this is not the best case, because its makes it harder to reproduce...

KSP.log

To clarify my installation (other than the large list of mods). I did not copy your version of Toolbar, since I had installed Toolbar separately. Also, since I had downloaded it from Curse, I hadn't noticed you had the optional FAR download. I am testing the optional download now to see if that helps.

EDIT: I just loaded KSP with the FAR optional file (I am using FAR), still has the same issue though.

Edited by Gawdin
updated testing

KSP.log

To clarify my installation (other than the large list of mods). I did not copy your version of Toolbar, since I had installed Toolbar separately. Also, since I had downloaded it from Curse, I hadn't noticed you had the optional FAR download. I am testing the optional download now to see if that helps.

EDIT: I just loaded KSP with the FAR optional file (I am using FAR), still has the same issue though.

Thanks for the log. Investigating...

The toolbar could not cause this as long as you use a recent version. The FAR optional file is that: optional. That couldn't cause this, too.

EDIT:

BTW: Are you using mods that alter the kerbol system? The line

[WRN 10:21:27.576] FF: no base prestige for celestial body Manai

shows that there is a celestial body Manai and I'm quite sure it is not in vanilla.

This causes:

[ERR 10:21:27.578] FF: texture Nereid/FinalFrontier/Ribbons/Manai/SphereOfInfluence not found
[EXC 10:21:27.579] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

And due to a bug (introduced by me in some earlier versions) a null reference is accessed whenever a texture is not found.

There is another log output that confuses me a lot more:

[ERR 10:22:47.949] FF: not unique code 'I:Sun' in Nereid.FinalFrontier.ActivityPool

FF tries to register an activity twice and that should never happen. I will have to check if I have introduced this bug or if it is caused by other things.

EDIT2: I think this is caused by the mods you are using. My installation only has a single Sun. I think yours has at least three (all with the same name)...

But first: remove all mods that alter the kerbal solar system. Currently FF won't work with those mods. Its still on my list and a bit more complictaed to implement.

Ok, this is solved I think. I'm taking a break now and then I will take a look in the log from MarcRan17 .

Edited by Nereid

BTW: Are you using mods that alter the kerbol system?

Yes, I have Kerbal Universe 2 installed (which has a few problems of its own, but otherwise works). That is the only mod I currently have installed that alters the system. And Yes, Manai is part of that mod.

One of the problems that it has is that it uses Kerbol as the Sphere of Influence (for light at least) instead of the independent stars. Which could be related to why the error is being thrown.

Yes, I have Kerbal Universe 2 installed (which has a few problems of its own, but otherwise works). That is the only mod I currently have installed that alters the system. And Yes, Manai is part of that mod.

Has this ever been working with FF?

Maybe a quick fix, that could (or could not) work: Just copy some of the other folders (like Duna for example) and rename it to Manai. Do this for all celestial bodies. But additionally you have to make sure that there is only one Sun. Rename the other two to Sun2, Sun3,... and create folders for those, too.

And please modders... keep it simple. Don't add celestial bodies with the same names. This will make things way more complicated than it should be.

Edited by Nereid

Has this ever been working with FF?

Maybe a quick fix, that could (or could not) work: Just copy some of the other folders (like Duna for example) and rename it to Manai. Do this for all celestial bodies. But additionally you have to make sure that there is only one Sun. Rename the other two to Sun2, Sun3,... and create folders for those, too.

To be honest, I don't know. This is the first time I have used FF. Maybe someone else watching this will know (*crosses fingers*). I am going to try creating copies of the planets for now (I might even do some photoshopping if it works to make custom ones for the planets, if that is allowed). For the sun to work, do I need to name them after the star for the other system or specifically Sun2/Sun3/Sun4?

EDIT: Manai is the name of the star/sun, I don't see any errors for the planets, but that might just be because it is not getting that far in loading.

Edited by Gawdin

To be honest, I don't know. This is the first time I have used FF. Maybe someone else watching this will know (*crosses fingers*). I am going to try creating copies of the planets for now (I might even do some photoshopping if it works to make custom ones for the planets, if that is allowed). For the sun to work, do I need to name them after the star for the other system or specifically Sun2/Sun3/Sun4?

You could do with the ribbon graphics anything you want. The names of the three suns have to be changed in the game. Adding the folders alone would not work. There should never be a celestial body with the name of another body in the game.

Reason for this: Any ribbon is based on an achievement in FF. They are created dynamically for the celestial bodies (good news for addons that create new ones; but thats only half part of the story). Each achievement is an Activity and each Activity has a code. All codes must be unique, but if some celestial bodies are named identical, the codes were identical and added twice to the pool. This will cause an exception and KSP wont start anymore.

I need this behavior myself, because this way I notice by a test, if I have done something wrong with the codes. And if they get messed up, all ribbons for players may get messed up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.