[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

849 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

On 3/14/2018 at 1:40 PM, Galileo said:

ATM is no longer necessary and hasn’t been in a very, very long time. The reason is that it’s been built into the stock system. 

On top of that, it hasnt worked since 1.0.5

On 3/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, Nereid said:

It should work. I'm using it myself with 1.4.1. But why do you still use ATM?

I'm not, or at lest I do not know if I am, it's just when looking up the problem (all ribbons being black in game, that is they show up as a black bar, the interface is just fine, it's like the ribbons are not loading correctly?), I ran into a few old posts (around page 20 of this thread no less) that describe this problem and mention ATM.

Im running a fresh install, and only have a few mods installed (Kerbal engineer, Docking port alignment, experiment tracker and scansat, aside this one).

I'm so glad this mod is updated to 1.4. One of my favourite all-time mods just for adding a degree of depth to the game. It's funny how such a simple thing as giving your kerbals badges can make them feel so much more alive and make you so much more invested. 

27 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

I'm so glad this mod is updated to 1.4. One of my favourite all-time mods just for adding a degree of depth to the game. It's funny how such a simple thing as giving your kerbals badges can make them feel so much more alive and make you so much more invested. 

Among all the different mods, this and Chatterer are two that I can't do without.  Even though they really add nothing to gameplay, they are unparalleled in adding the immersion that makes KSP such a great experience.  Final Frontier gives the Kerbals individuality.  They're no longer simply interchangeable parts, but take on a life of their own far more than a few experience points and simple level-based abilities could ever provide.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just started playing KSP about a month ago and feel I have enough of a grasp on the concepts of the game to peek into mods. I was really wanting something that tracked Kerbal accomplishments and when I found Final Frontier I knew I had to have it. Trouble is, I can't get it to work. I've tried looking at mod tutorials and searching for mistakes I could be making but near as I can tell it's as simple as downloading the most recent mod files and dropping the Final Frontier folder in the gamedata folder. My understanding is that once you install the mod you should see a little movable menu on the Kerbal Space Center screen that let's you see Kerbal achievements. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have the Making History expansion.

I'm using KSP version 1.4.1.2089 via Steam.

I'm trying to use the 1.4.x version from Github. (https://github.com/Nereid42/FinalFrontier/tree/1.4.x)

Upon unzipping the FinalFrontier-1.4.x folder from the zip file I move it to the gamedata folder that has the Squad folder and then launch the game and nothing. :/

This image shows the folder dropped into the gamedata folder https://imgur.com/WMvytWE

This image shows the game launched afterwards with no menu to view Kerbal accomplishments that I believe should be visible upon installing the mod. https://imgur.com/9zXPqM5

2 hours ago, Salamander Swagger said:

I've only just started playing KSP about a month ago and feel I have enough of a grasp on the concepts of the game to peek into mods. I was really wanting something that tracked Kerbal accomplishments and when I found Final Frontier I knew I had to have it. Trouble is, I can't get it to work. I've tried looking at mod tutorials and searching for mistakes I could be making but near as I can tell it's as simple as downloading the most recent mod files and dropping the Final Frontier folder in the gamedata folder. My understanding is that once you install the mod you should see a little movable menu on the Kerbal Space Center screen that let's you see Kerbal achievements. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have the Making History expansion.

I'm using KSP version 1.4.1.2089 via Steam.

I'm trying to use the 1.4.x version from Github. (https://github.com/Nereid42/FinalFrontier/tree/1.4.x)

Upon unzipping the FinalFrontier-1.4.x folder from the zip file I move it to the gamedata folder that has the Squad folder and then launch the game and nothing. :/

This image shows the folder dropped into the gamedata folder https://imgur.com/WMvytWE

This image shows the game launched afterwards with no menu to view Kerbal accomplishments that I believe should be visible upon installing the mod. https://imgur.com/9zXPqM5

You are installing incorrectly. You need to dig further into the final frontier folder and just place the “nereid” folder into your gamedata folder.

this will give you a general idea on how to install 99% of mods.

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

You are installing incorrectly. You need to dig further into the final frontier folder and just place the “nereid” folder into your gamedata folder.

Unfortunately, there is no "nereid" folder within the zip file.

This image shows the next level directory upon going deeper into the "FinalFrontier-1.4.x" folder. I also performed a search for "nerid" within the top level directory of "FinalFrontier-1.4.x" and received no results.

https://imgur.com/PGAZYJH

I have seen a "Nerid" folder before in other .zips such as in the "FinalFrontier1.0.2-2131.zip" from where the mod is posted on Curse Forge. https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/final-frontier/files

I assumed this was an older version of the file that hasn't been updated from the fact that it says 1.0.2-2131.

Just in case I created a "Nerid" folder and dropped the "Final Frontier-1.4.x" folder into it, no change.

Edited by Salamander Swagger
Forgot the link to the image.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:22 PM, razark said:

Among all the different mods, this and Chatterer are two that I can't do without.  Even though they really add nothing to gameplay, they are unparalleled in adding the immersion that makes KSP such a great experience.  Final Frontier gives the Kerbals individuality.  They're no longer simply interchangeable parts, but take on a life of their own far more than a few experience points and simple level-based abilities could ever provide.

Yup!  Mod adds no game play, but adds so much depth!  One of my must have mods!  Just a little love here for the creator (probably again!)!

3 hours ago, Salamander Swagger said:

Unfortunately, there is no "nereid" folder within the zip file.

This image shows the next level directory upon going deeper into the "FinalFrontier-1.4.x" folder. I also performed a search for "nerid" within the top level directory of "FinalFrontier-1.4.x" and received no results.

https://imgur.com/PGAZYJH

I have seen a "Nerid" folder before in other .zips such as in the "FinalFrontier1.0.2-2131.zip" from where the mod is posted on Curse Forge. https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/final-frontier/files

I assumed this was an older version of the file that hasn't been updated from the fact that it says 1.0.2-2131.

Just in case I created a "Nerid" folder and dropped the "Final Frontier-1.4.x" folder into it, no change.

You downloaded the source, not the mod.

just use the link in the OP to download the mod.

Edited by Galileo

8 hours ago, Salamander Swagger said:

Geeeeeeeez.... XD Now I feel stupid. All that time and energy wasted because I missed that download button... XD

Thanks all. :D

Another tip: Since 1.4.x the ribbons are blurred if the texture settings are not set to "fullres". Unfortunately "halfres" is the default. So change it to fullres if not already done.

On 3/25/2018 at 6:29 AM, Nereid said:

Another tip: Since 1.4.x the ribbons are blurred if the texture settings are not set to "fullres". Unfortunately "halfres" is the default. So change it to fullres if not already done.

Confirmed. Will their be a fix for this?

9 hours ago, Nereid said:

Currently I do not know how to fix this. KSP is loading the textures not FF. But I will consider any suggestion...

Sadly i don't know much about modding or developing. A guess in the wind would be.... figuring how ksp loads the texture of the images and then trying to reproduce the effect with the mod.

In good faith, Sincerely, respectfully, & regards

Oh& many thanx for "FINAL FRONTIER!" :)

P.S. I may not be to mod savvy but if there is a way i could be of help pls advise.

8 hours ago, SmarterThanMe said:

I don't want to hassle, but I know that you were working on a method for custom ribbon files to encode for one ribbon to supersede another. Any progress on that?

Time is a bit of a problem since a few months. So at the moment: no.

On 3/25/2018 at 7:29 AM, Nereid said:

Yep this seems to have been the issue for me, was at quarter res, bumped it to full and their they are, they also show up in half res as well, but in quarter res or eighth res they only show up as black blocks.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:45 PM, Nereid said:

Currently I do not know how to fix this. KSP is loading the textures not FF. But I will consider any suggestion...

I have a very dumb idea...

Since KSP is rendering them at half-rez, could you double their native resolution?  (DPI.)  Then when they're rendered down to half, you get the same effective resolution as before.

On 30.3.2018 at 3:12 PM, DStaal said:

I have a very dumb idea...

Since KSP is rendering them at half-rez, could you double their native resolution?  (DPI.)  Then when they're rendered down to half, you get the same effective resolution as before.

This would increase their size by a factor of 4. And why? Just because the settings are halfres? I'm quite sure most players will use fullres.

A better solution would be a message dialog, that FF will not work with halfres textures because their are of limited use anyway.

I tend to assume most players use the default settings, in general.  And increasing the size of the ribbons by a factor of 4 would still have them be smaller than a single addressable block (at least on disk), so it'd be minimal impact for this mod.  (And it wouldn't increase by that much, because they are easily compressable.)  Lots of other mods it would be a horrible idea - but for this mod, it might be workable.

Just floating it as an idea.

9 minutes ago, i_like_kerbals said:

would this work if i installed it in the middle of playing my career, would it be able to track the stats of who did what missions prior to install? I wish I would have installed this day 1 of my career :*(

It would work - but it would not track achievements earned before you installed it.  It would start tracking achievements as if you'd just started.

7 minutes ago, DStaal said:

It would work - but it would not track achievements earned before you installed it.  It would start tracking achievements as if you'd just started.

yeah i had a feeling, I was hoping these were stats tracked by the game and his mod just uses the existing data but that was just me hoping... i guess i will have to use it next career

it might be a good idea to also allow for users to award the ribbons manually, for people who installed midway into a career.

Edited by i_like_kerbals

29 minutes ago, i_like_kerbals said:

yeah i had a feeling, I was hoping these were stats tracked by the game and his mod just uses the existing data but that was just me hoping... i guess i will have to use it next career

it might be a good idea to also allow for users to award the ribbons manually, for people who installed midway into a career.

Pretty sure that's already possible. Just check out the options on the Space Center FF screen.

25 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

Pretty sure that's already possible. Just check out the options on the Space Center FF screen.

Yeah I will but i am one of those unfortunate idiots that will have ocd episodes and will end up restarting his career so my stupid kerbal missions are all recorded lol ... ugh i hate myself :(