[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

853 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

new career mode save started today, but using FAR this time. Will take them a bit longer to get 'first kerbal in space' ribbons this time!

With the custom ribbons, is it possible to add more custom ribbons, possibly using a mod?

Im wanting to add an Australia analogue ribbon, as there is a good number of other ribbons which are flag analogues.

I seem to be having a problem though since updating. I launch the game and then comes up to your convert screen, however, the games locks up and then crashes. Perhaps I'm missing something? There isn't even a crash log to check either :(

Any other issues like this? If not, I need the KSP.log and a list of all installed mods. To be honest I didn't test it with any solar system altering mods.

EDIT: caused by a system out of memory error... strange.

Edited by Nereid

Any other issues like this? If not, I need the KSP.log and a list of all installed mods. To be honest I didn't test it with any solar system altering mods.

It worked fine for me, thanks for the effort :)

Yeah, all solved, one of the other mods I had bloated in size somewhat. I obviously missed the crash logs!

The convert works very well! XD

Convert system works great here, looking forward to no more lost ribbons*

[*user of said product acknowledges that maker of mod can not be held responsible for any future loss of ribbons. :wink: ]

Seriously, great work here.

I never used this mod before, I have Scansat installed, I don't have any Scansat parts up, will I be OK to install this mod now. I kind of was waiting until some things got resolved with this mod. I read a few pages back that Scansat and this mod don't get along.

Thanks!

I never used this mod before, I have Scansat installed, I don't have any Scansat parts up, will I be OK to install this mod now. I kind of was waiting until some things got resolved with this mod. I read a few pages back that Scansat and this mod don't get along.

Thanks!

It was any mod that saves stuff in your save that FF had an issue with. Had. It's fixed now.

Bug?

When you have debris around KSC and recover it via clicking and select "Recover", you get a FinalFrontier window popup saying "Nothing happened". So far so good.

When you keep that window open tho and recover more debris parts, the window collapses to some small "thingy" and entering buildings (VAB, SPH, Tracking Station, etc) is not possible anymore afterwards, since mouse-over seems to be screwed after this.

Don't know if it is related to FinalFrontier only. But exactly that just happened here.

Edited by nuclearping

I was away, made a few more nation type ribbons for those that want to differentiate their international kerbals.

NewRibbons.png?_subject_uid=99556041&w=AABD-UcUWK2qZifIXGfb1vA7ebvZNzYv5ujyU-Jx15ubPg

'Arab' Dutch

France India

Isreal Scottland

Sweden

RAR Download

I still don't know how to add them myself. I modified the Ribbonpool.cs in notepad but nothing changed.

Edited by Wyrmshadow

Bug?

When you have debris around KSC and recover it via clicking and select "Recover", you get a FinalFrontier window popup saying "Nothing happened". So far so good.

When you keep that window open tho and recover more debris parts, the window collapses to some small "thingy" and entering buildings (VAB, SPH, Tracking Station, etc) is not possible anymore afterwards, since mouse-over seems to be screwed after this.

Don't know if it is related to FinalFrontier only. But exactly that just happened here.

Maybe a bug. I will examine this. Until then: Close it before recover or disable it.

I'm about 1 Kerbal Year into a hard-mode playthrough with Final Frontier, TAC Life Support, and Kerbal Construction Time, and I have to say, this mod adds a crazy amount of immersion. Love it, and thanks for making it.

One random thought/idea: is it possible to have kerbals earn their orange jumpsuits (like Jebediah & crew) by earning medals? That seems like it would fit in really well with the theme of the mod.

I was away, made a few more nation type ribbons for those that want to differentiate their international kerbals.

I still don't know how to add them myself. I modified the Ribbonpool.cs in notepad but nothing changed.

Adding them in the RibbonPool.cs without compiling a new dll will of course not change anything. ;)

Give me a few days and I will include them.

Edited by Nereid

I am really digging this mod. It gives me a reason to cycle through my roster and make sure everyone is getting some flight time.

I wonder if you could tweak the ribbons based on Gender like we do in the real world? As in seperate the First Kerbalina to do X,Y,Z and First Kerbal to do X,Y,Z to show the gender difference, that way Jeb and Valentina do not have to fight over the "Firsts".

I am really digging this mod. It gives me a reason to cycle through my roster and make sure everyone is getting some flight time.

I wonder if you could tweak the ribbons based on Gender like we do in the real world? As in seperate the First Kerbalina to do X,Y,Z and First Kerbal to do X,Y,Z to show the gender difference, that way Jeb and Valentina do not have to fight over the "Firsts".

If you do make this change, please also include an option to keep things the way they currently are.

One random thought/idea: is it possible to have kerbals earn their orange jumpsuits (like Jebediah & crew) by earning medals? That seems like it would fit in really well with the theme of the mod.

Maybe. But what kind of ribbons should qualify for an orange suit? I would think of landing on any celestial body excluding kerbin.

- - - Updated - - -

If you do make this change, please also include an option to keep things the way they currently are.

I don't think I will implement it. I liked the idea at first, but I have to do it gender neutral. And this is a lot of work and may introduce new bugs.

One random thought/idea: is it possible to have kerbals earn their orange jumpsuits (like Jebediah & crew) by earning medals?

U-2 and SR-71 pilots wore a distinctive orange flight suit for many years, and they called it the "orange bag." I suggest we refer to the Kerbal's special orange flight suit by the same name, in their honor.

Maybe. But what kind of ribbons should qualify for an orange suit? I would think of landing on any celestial body excluding kerbin.

That seems reasonable. Either that or having completed a certain number of missions (10 maybe?) would be good. Just something to distinguish the veteran pilots from the fresh hires visually.

I think it should require at least one "First" to do something ribbon plus X number of flights logged and one or more ribbon categories maxed out-- (e.g., "science collection" and/or "contracts completed"). This would also be a reason to do the gender thing to have more "Firsts" available.

You could do something similar to allow the kerbals to "earn" a BadS tag...that should be a pretty extreme set of qualifications. All the Orange suit quals plus a bunch more (e.g., 3+ "First" ribbons, several ribbon categories maxed out) and something like they have actually "die" on missions in a number of different ways (proving they are truly immortal like Jeb).

This last part is kind of reminiscent of the Drown-proofing they do with Navy SEALs where they tie their hands and feet together and throw them in a swimming pool. The idea is to make them face any fear they may still have of drowning to make them fearless when they are in the field.

I don't think I will implement it. I liked the idea at first, but I have to do it gender neutral. And this is a lot of work and may introduce new bugs.

Actually it should be pretty straight forward if you think about it, it would only effect the "First" ribbons (clone those, minor text change, no new work) then you just have to query the gender of the kerbal/kerbalina in question and assign either A (Kerbal = male/neuter) or B (Kerbalina = female) ribbon accordingly.

Whatever you are using to query profession for the profession based ribbons should be easily modifiable to do the same for gender. Then for people who want to opt out, set the config to skip the gender check and always award ribbon A.

Edited by Smurfalot

Actually it should be pretty straight forward if you think about it, it would only effect the "First" ribbons (clone those, minor text change, no new work) then you just have to query the gender of the kerbal/kerbalina in question and assign either A (Kerbal = male/neuter) or B (Kerbalina = female) ribbon accordingly.

Whatever you are using to query profession for the profession based ribbons should be easily modifiable to do the same for gender. Then for people who want to opt out, set the config to skip the gender check and always award ribbon A.

Well, the idea in general is straight forward. But originally I had new ribbons in mind. If we use the same ribbons twice, maybe it's doable.

Cloning the ribbons is not possible without changing the ribbon codes which introduces a very difficult problem later on. All ribbon codes must be unique; changing this would make a complete redesign neccessary that cost weeks of work with questionable success. But different ribbon codes for different gender are not a good idea.

Gender specialized ribbon codes are not that easy to implement, because we just cannot clone them. Alternatively a second list for checking if a ribbon is already awarded is an option (a list for males and another for females); but then the check is done outside the achievement ribbon code and we can't change the wording by just changing the text. Ok, we can change the wording if we change the achievement class to generate the text for each kerbal. So wee need a class to generate the text and another to manage the two lists and the is-first-checks.

And suddenly the simple idea turns into two evenings of work. ;)

Edited by Nereid

Orange suits could be for mission commanders and linked to the mission commander ribbons.

IMO, separate ribbons for male and female Kerbals would BE sexist. Having the same ribbons with non biased requirements would be equality. This issue actually assumes that there is an 'equality issue' on Kerbin. I like to believe that the only equality goals on Kerbin is everyone wants to be like Jeb.

posted by Smurfalot:

...."face any fear they may still have of drowning to make them fearless when they are in the field."...How do you drown in a field? Fall in a mud puddle? (Sorry, I worked with SEALs, had to make that observation.)

Again, orange suits are a cool idea, but anything that would require them to die first is something I would never want forced in an update. Some of us use permadeath.

I as well. Permadeath here too. Sorry to be that guy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.