Nereid

[1.7.1] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.5.3-3465

KSP 1.1.0  

622 members have voted

  1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

    • Yes
      223
    • No
      54
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...
      374


Recommended Posts

On 10/9/2018 at 1:15 PM, Robjon92 said:

I have a problem with ribbons not showing, when for example when a kerbal is first in space, there is only a small white line or icon ( something like this -) when i hoover over it i get all text about it but the ribbon itself is not showing. i have other ribbon packs from STM and they work fine but all ribbons from Final Frontier does not. Any tips??

Same problem here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this mod! 

I use it for my RP-1 (developmental version of RP-0) game, and today I noticed a few things that might be cool if FF handled.

In RP-1 maintenance cost is something you have to deal with and it is 500 credits for one kerbal per year. That means you might have to dismiss a kerbal or two not to go bankrupt (in fact, that was precisely what I had to do). Unfortunately, KSP handles dismissals different from killed kerbals, so you don't see them in the "lost" category in the Astronaut Complex, and the kerbal disappears from the FF hall of fame completely. I don't know how KSP handles dismissals, but I suspect that a dismissed kerbal is just deleted entirely. Would it be possible for FF to show kerbals you have dismissed as "fired" or "dismissed" in the same way you display dead kerbals? 

Another thing RP-1 introduces is retirement for bored kerbals. Every kerbal has a retirement date, and if you don't give them cool missions to fly they retire. Retired kerbals show up in the Astronaut Complex as "retired", but in FF they show as "dead". I think it would be elegant if FF would have a category for retired kerbals to differentiate them from the ones you killed.

The last thing from RP-1 that might be relevant for FF is mandatory courses to be able to go on missions with different capsules. These courses are only valid for a certain time before they expire. It would be nice to have FF track this for each kerbal so you could see classes the kerbals have taken in the past.

I know maintaining a mod and updating it is a lot of work, and I don't expect @Nereid to make changes to his mod.  Perhaps this is best handled on the RP-1 side of things, or as an add-on to FF like a badge-pack, but I just wanted to share some ideas I had.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nereid Is the aforementioned massive memory load error in 1.4.5 fixed? I don't see anything about it other than @linuxgurugamer 's remedy post, and not evidence of any uptake or patch.   I'm starting back after more than a year away, and I definitely want to run this, one of my "flavor favorites", in my new career game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Murdabenne said:

@Nereid Is the aforementioned massive memory load error in 1.4.5 fixed? I don't see anything about it other than @linuxgurugamer 's remedy post, and not evidence of any uptake or patch.   I'm starting back after more than a year away, and I definitely want to run this, one of my "flavor favorites", in my new career game.

Sorry, for my absence the last months, but other games (and hilarious discussions with flattards ;)) just eat up my time.

Ther is currently no fix. But a holyday week just is about to come. Unfortunately this time its not a staycation, but I still do have a version for 1.4.5 on my list. Its just that time seems to fly these days...

Patience guys. KSP is still one of my favorite games. But other things are just more important at the moment.

If there is no fix before 31-Oct then it will take a few weeks more (probatly until december). And I cannot gurantee I will work on this the next two weeks. We will see.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anything known about the memory leak? Any ideas from other mod developers (@linuxgurugamer)? Are other mods affected aswell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nereid said:

Is there anything known about the memory leak? Any ideas from other mod developers (@linuxgurugamer)? Are other mods affected aswell?

Not at this time, other than what LGG posted on the previous page. And my install is a brand new one, fresh directory, fresh download of mods via CKAN, even a fresh download from Squad.

And please do not feel pressured - I did not mean it that way.  Your personal and real life are far more important than this mod.  Get all that settled before you even think of this, unless you like to think of this for some strange reason. :0.0:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nereid said:

Is there anything known about the memory leak? Any ideas from other mod developers (@linuxgurugamer)? Are other mods affected aswell?

If you are loading textures and not manually destroying them when done, you will leak memory.

I haven’t looked at your code, rather busy with other stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 12:18 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

If you are loading textures and not manually destroying them when done, you will leak memory.

Well.... they are just loaded once - at least they should. So this should not cause this. And if one unchecks the button for direct texture load, FF won't load it at all, because KSP does it already.

EDIT: Just tested: They are just loaded once.

I have compiled FF against KSP 1.5.1 and checked for any memory leaks and I could not find any.

Even in vanilla KSP eats up about 20 KB each mission and because of the garbace collecting mechanism in C# we do not really know if this is a leak or quite normal. With FF, NG and S.A.V.E installed the used memory just increases as it does in vanilla. Even with direct load enabled in FF.

 

Edited by Nereid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2018 at 5:02 PM, Nereid said:

Is there anything known about the memory leak? Any ideas from other mod developers (@linuxgurugamer)? Are other mods affected aswell?

I just read something on the Steam forums about a memory leak, but its from Squad side again. Its a pretty bad one.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/1735468061758539756/

Edited by therealcrow999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I landed a Kerbal on the mun before I got this mod, will it will register that landing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TeslaPenguin1 said:

If I landed a Kerbal on the mun before I got this mod, will it will register that landing?

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Well can I give them ribbons manually?

Yes, absolutely you can.  Save your game.  Then open FF Hall of Fame, click on a Kerbal to get the Kerbal Decoration Board, then click on Award Ribbon.  Chose from the list, et voila.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Well can I give them ribbons manually?

You will have to edit your savegame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nereid said:

You will have to edit your savegame. 

I would have thought the in-mod way was safer and simpler.  I'm curious why you recommend this approach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I would have thought the in-mod way was safer and simpler.  I'm curious why you recommend this approach?

Well, ingame you could just award custom ribbons manually as far as I remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 1:56 PM, therealcrow999 said:

I just read something on the Steam forums about a memory leak, but its from Squad side again. Its a pretty bad one.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/1735468061758539756/

That topic thread seems rather short on details, but this also doesn't seem to have any reflection on FF itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

That topic thread seems rather short on details, but this also doesn't seem to have any reflection on FF itself.

Very true. :sticktongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LupinoArts said:

Would it be possible to add a function that allows superceeding in the definition of User generated ribbons?

As far as I remember its already included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 4:56 PM, therealcrow999 said:

I just read something on the Steam forums about a memory leak, but its from Squad side again. Its a pretty bad one.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/1735468061758539756/

Was this fixed in 1.5.1, or is it still a known issue?

I started a career a few days ago, was putting a little early-tech satellite into orbit, and my game just crashed.  I checked the ram usage and it was at around 13 GB (as opposed to something more like 6GB from my other apps running along with the game).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PTNLemay said:

Was this fixed in 1.5.1, or is it still a known issue?

I started a career a few days ago, was putting a little early-tech satellite into orbit, and my game just crashed.  I checked the ram usage and it was at around 13 GB (as opposed to something more like 6GB from my other apps running along with the game).

I haven't noticed any issues yet. I haven't check the ram usage much, when I do its in the norm. The Steam post could of just been isolated, I haven't heard much since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 3:15 PM, Robjon92 said:

I have a problem with ribbons not showing, when for example when a kerbal is first in space, there is only a small white line or icon ( something like this -) when i hoover over it i get all text about it but the ribbon itself is not showing. i have other ribbon packs from STM and they work fine but all ribbons from Final Frontier does not. Any tips??

It also happened to me. I mistakenly extracted the FinalFrontier folder to GameData, but you actually have to extract the Nereid folder.

Just answering it here in case it is useful for someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2018 at 8:15 PM, kerbonara said:

It also happened to me. I mistakenly extracted the FinalFrontier folder to GameData, but you actually have to extract the Nereid folder.

Just answering it here in case it is useful for someone.

In other words the path should be: .....\KSP\GameData\Nereid\FinalFrontier

Edited by BlackHat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.