[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

853 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

Hi again!

Sorry I was a bit distracted from KSP the last weeks (or should I say months? ;)).

I have checked 1.00. And FF won't work at the moment. I will try to fix this ASAP (but give me a few days). I will not start a new career myself in 1.00 until FF is working again.

NanoGauges is working fine in 1.00.

EDIT: I will try to read the entire thread since my last login tomorrow at work.

- - - Updated - - -

part of the problem may be that nereid for some reason is using his own custom SFS node rather than a SCENARIO node to store his data. I've noticed that if I load an SFS file containing a SCENARIO the game can't find a use for (mod no longer installed), the log says it is ignored and the node is not removed or otherwise edited. If I load an SFS file containing FF entries and FF isn't installed, the entries are deleted.

Hmmm... I will check this. As far as I remember I have played with a scenario node and it wasn't working for me. But part of this problem could be a flaw in FF: It loads again every time KSP changes the scene. At the time I started the development of FF (which is quick&dirty in some parts), integrating plugins in KSP was rather buggy and not working as I expected it to work. S.A.V.E is working different and I have learned a lot how to get plugins working since the first days of FF. But I was a bit lazy to change FF yet. FF is working for most and I have never experienced a loss of ribbons myself. Any major change in the code may break things I don't expect. And unfortunately there is no other than me for testing purposes (none of my friends is playing KSP on a regular basis and can do tests on demand).

To be honest: I don't understand how a crash could cause disappearing ribbons.

Edited by Nereid

To be honest: I don't understand how a crash could cause disappearing ribbons.

I've personally noticed a single case of lost ribbons, which I recovered from backups. Unfortunately no idea when it happened so can't begin to guess why but apparently others have had it happen more frequently

I've personally noticed a single case of lost ribbons, which I recovered from backups. Unfortunately no idea when it happened so can't begin to guess why but apparently others have had it happen more frequently

I've noticed loss of ribbons occurs for me most frequently when adding/updating/removing mods. I don't know why.

Ok, as far as I can see there are still two major issues reported:

1. loss of ribbons (all or most of them)
  2. mission count or mission time is not tracked corretcly (caused by a missed mission end/recover)

Unfortunately I still have no clue what is causing this. Those bugs seems to happen very infrequently and some never experienced them (or maybe overlooked it).

Regarding mission count or time: If this happens to you please report if this happens directly after recovering the vessel or later after loading a game. Are all kerbals of the crew affected or just some of them? Are special parts used (stock parts, parts from a mod, escpecially non stock crew pods?)? Make a copy of the KSP.log immediately after the bug has happened. If you are facing this bug more often, please adjust the log level of FF to detail or at least info. Install the most current version of FF (maybe some log output implemented to analyze this in some later releases can give me more information to solve this).

I have tried to reproduce this bug very often and it never happens to me so far. But in my real games I may have overlooked it myself...

But top priority is currently getting FF to work in 1.0 again.

Edited by Nereid

Ok, as far as I can see there are still two major issues reported:

1. loss of ribbons (all or most of them)
  2. mission count or mission time is not tracked corretcly (caused by a missed mission end/recover)

Unfortunately I still have no clue what is causing this. Those bugs seems to happen very infrequently and some never experienced them (or maybe overlooked it).

Regarding mission count or time: If this happens to you please report if this happens directly after recovering the vessel or later after loading a game. Are all kerbals of the crew affected or just some of them? Are special parts used (stock parts, parts from a mod, escpecially non stock crew pods?)? Make a copy of the KSP.log immediately after the bug has happened. If you are facing this bug more often, please adjust the log level of FF to detail or at least info. Install the most current version of FF (maybe some log output implemented to analyze this in some later releases can give me more information to solve this).

I have tried to reproduce this bug ver often and it never happens to me so far. But in my real games I may have overlooked it myself...

But top priority is currently getting FF to work in 1.0 again.

If the ribbons are assigned to each Kerbal is it possible the kerbal's data is being overwritten when they get promoted?

If the ribbons are assigned to each Kerbal is it possible the kerbal's data is being overwritten when they get promoted?

I don't think so. FF stores it's internal data for each kerbal and identifies a kerbal by his (or since 1.0 her ;)) name. if the name of a kerbal was changed, then we are screwed. ;)

BTW, I have not checked this for 1.0, but please SQUAD: give us unique IDs for kerbals...

This is a great mod, I keep having the issue of all my ribbons getting reset. Quite far into the game now and none of the kerbals have any ribbons. Unfortunatly this is very frustrating and seeing as 0.90 probably wont be supported anymore. I regret I must uninstall it

This is a great mod, I keep having the issue of all my ribbons getting reset. Quite far into the game now and none of the kerbals have any ribbons. Unfortunatly this is very frustrating and seeing as 0.90 probably wont be supported anymore. I regret I must uninstall it

Do you have any idea exactly when the ribbons disappeared and what you were doing at the time?

Changing sphere of influence?

Kerbal promotion?

Landing and recovery?

Quick save/load?

Start game?

After staging in some exotic environment?

Not wearing your lucky socks?

Etc.

Do you have any idea exactly when the ribbons disappeared and what you were doing at the time?

Changing sphere of influence?

Kerbal promotion?

Landing and recovery?

Quick save/load?

Start game?

After staging in some exotic environment?

Not wearing your lucky socks?

Etc.

Those are exactly the important questions. I know it's hard to remember what exactly happened, because sometimes the player don't really know if the bug happens in the last few seconds or way earlier but unnoticed. But without the answers it's very hard for me to reproduce the bug. And solving it without is... well... possible (theoretical) but very time consuming and not a fun task at all.

If there is an easy way to port if back to 0.90 when solved, I will try it (if requested). But now 1.00 is the goal and we have to look forward not back.

UPDATE: Stock toolbar is working again. :)

Edited by Nereid

Those are exactly the important questions. I know it's hard to remember what exactly happened, because sometimes the player don't really know if the bug happens in the last few seconds or way earlier but unnoticed. But without the answers it's very hard for me to reproduce the bug. And solving it without is... well... possible (theoretical) but very time consuming and not a fun task at all.

If there is an easy way to port if back to 0.90 when solved, I will try it (if requested). But now 1.00 is the goal and we have to look forward not back.

UPDATE: Stock toolbar is working again. :)

Each time they disappeared, the game had glitched in some way or another(usually couldn't click anything to get out) so alt-f4 was used, basically the same happened when the game random quit

I think one other time I noticed it when running a simulation to eve with KCT, not only did it wipe out all my transfer windows in KAC but I noticed Jeb had no ribbons afterwards

EDIT: Also, this didn't happen, "every" time the game crashed in one way or another(force-quit)

It seems more random, and thus hard to pin down

Edited by darqen27

EDIT: Also, this didn't happen, "every" time the game crashed in one way or another(force-quit)

It seems more random, and thus hard to pin down

If the game crashes at a scene change (flying -> space center, or any other scene change), then there is a chance that the game data is partially saved. Maybe is more robust to store its own data then those from plugins. The callback to save the data of FF may never be called and the log may not be flushed (so that its impossible to be sure about this). Then all data in FF is lost. Question is: will KSP load an incomplete persistent file? Will the persistent file be closed at any exception while saving (and a missing "}" added)?

If this is the case, there is not much I can do about it.

Again, if this happens to you: keep the log and write me a personal message. Take a note what happens just before the ribbons were lost (game load, game crash, scene change, ...)

To prevent this use S.A.V.E or make backups on your own frequently. An updated version of S.A.V.E will be available today, maybe FF too (it seems to be working now). I will first test it a bit and then perhaps update NanoGauges to 1.0 and release all three plugins at once.

If the game crashes at a scene change (flying -> space center, or any other scene change), then there is a chance that the game data is partially saved. Maybe is more robust to store its own data then those from plugins. The callback to save the data of FF may never be called and the log may not be flushed (so that its impossible to be sure about this). Then all data in FF is lost. Question is: will KSP load an incomplete persistent file? Will the persistent file be closed at any exception while saving (and a missing "}" added)?

If this is the case, there is not much I can do about it.

Again, if this happens to you: keep the log and write me a personal message. Take a note what happens just before the ribbons were lost (game load, game crash, scene change, ...)

To prevent this use S.A.V.E or make backups on your own frequently. An updated version of S.A.V.E will be available today, maybe FF too (it seems to be working now). I will first test it a bit and then perhaps update NanoGauges to 1.0 and release all three plugins at once.

If that is the case I think it needs to be determined Why all ribbons are being deleted and not just some of them. In addition if we can determine why the game is crashing a workaround or fix may be possible.

What about automatically backing up the persistence file every five to ten minutes?

Edited by LORDPrometheus

Well until it is updated I would think that would be the least of its issues. Can't tell if that bug is still around until all the other bugs are squashed.

EVA solved (only ground EVA was broken). If I don't find other bugs I will upload FF on KerbalStuff in about an hour.

I have killed FF via task-manager a few times: all ribbons still there. A few quicksaves/quickloades were done, too. No issues regarding lost ribbons so far. But I have never experienced this myself so this report is quite meaningless...

It's just not possible to test everything. I have not tested any science ribbons yet and some others may not work, too. But I will upload it anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.