[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

853 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

Just an update. I finally got a way to reproduce the issue with the lost ribbons. It's a strange one and it seems it can happen, if you install another mod that writes to the persistent file.

[LOG 19:42:21.488] FF: ignoring load because of game scene MAINMENU

[LOG 19:42:21.492] ScenarioTypes: List Created 14 scenario types loaded from 10 loaded assemblies.

[LOG 19:42:21.510] FF: EventObserver::OnGameStateSave

[LOG 19:42:21.511] FF: Hall of Fame Statistics:

[LOG 19:42:21.512] FF: saving hall of fame (0 logbook entries)

[LOG 19:42:21.512] FF: hall of fame saved in 0ms

For a strange reason the save event is triggered before the game is created and FF loads its data. This happens to me every time, I try to implement a ScenarioModule in FF myself.

And now to the important conclusion:

So it seems that adding (!) any kind of mod that uses a ScenarioModule and adds them to the game will trigger a save before the game starts and FF load the ribbons. As long as you do not add such mods after a game with FF was started, you are fine. If you do, you will lose all ribbons (and because of the new interesting mod, the missing ribbons may get unnoticed...).

Well... I think I got the bug. :)

EDIT: Unfortunately I don't think I can fix this today. This will take a few days longer and it is a little complicated.

\

I got teh bug :(

pretty sure I lost the ribbons just after installing SCANsat. I dont think I have a save with the ribbons still either, so that sucks :(

\

I got teh bug :(

pretty sure I lost the ribbons just after installing SCANsat. I dont think I have a save with the ribbons still either, so that sucks :(

Well, you have been warned. ;)

I think I can get it working in the next few days; maybe saturday or sunday. I found a solution yesterday and will release it in two steps: 1. Fix for 0.7.x, 2. using SecenrioModule in 0.8.x but still compatible to 0.7.x.

If anybody install new mods that are not just parts: make a backup of the save before starting KSP, install the mod, start KSP, check if ribbons still there. If not restore the backup and wait a few days before using the new mod or create the missing SCENARIO part in the save manualle before loading the game (this should work, but it's not testet). An alternate fix would be to copy the FF part in the new save by hand. This should work too.

Edited by Nereid

Lol, I just came in to report that I'd experienced the loss of ribbons an mission counters bug, but looks like I got beat to the punch line, still, here's my output log and persistence file if you want to have a look.

Edit: and it happened right after I installed the latest version of the scansat mod.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4n2x9chroegcn90/AAAChwuKfWIl-olwMRfST1jVa?dl=0

If you want ScanSAT and FF together, try to copy the FF data from the old save to a new one saved AFTER ScanSAT was installed.

Well, or wait a few days. I will continue my work this evening a bit. I will have to change a few parts in the code, because the old ones rely on an existing game. But at the point in time I have to load the data to avoid the bug, there is no game.

I'm glad you guys found it. I think this had plagued the mod for a while. This is exciting.

But it's incredible hard to fix. There is a strange behavior of KSP when loading from another file than from the persistence.sfs. The OnGamestateLoad event will always give me the data of the persistent.sfs. That was the reason I moved this to GameStateCreated (and have to work around other issues that were caused by this) - but then we have the lost ribbons syndrome,because it is triggered after the save event, which writes the new ScenarioModule and thus discarding all ribbons. . And I will have to preserve the current data of course.

My headaches are growing at the moment...

I know right. I'm all thumbs coding but it's nice to contribute with feature requests or bugfixes.

- - - Updated - - -

NEREID, Take your time man. No rush. You got alot of patient people here willing to test when you're ready.

Edited by UAL002

NEREID, Take your time man. No rush. You got alot of patient people here willing to test when you're ready.

Thanks. I'm on it the last two or three days. The good news: maybe today it's ready. The bad news: It's impossible to fix for 0.7.x without using a ScenarioModule and without introducing new bugs. So I will skip 0.7.16 and release a 0.8.x. But the difference is just the method the data is saved (and it should be compatible to old saves).

Most of the time was spend for just testing how all fits together... as you may know there is no real documentation about some classes and concepts in KSP (at least I found nothing that I would call a "documentation"). But the fact that we can write mods this easily without any complete docs proves that SQUAD did a good job.

If you want ScanSAT and FF together, try to copy the FF data from the old save to a new one saved AFTER ScanSAT was installed.

Well... I just copied the whole "save" folder onto a separate HDD to install ScanSat, started up the game and ribbons gone. - So that one went as expected :D

Somehow I thought it would be enough to copy over the "save" folder again, but that didn´t do the trick. - So now I´m stranded... what exactly is meant by "copy the FF data" ?

[Edit]

Okay so what I did to get this working again is:

In the loaded Game (Careermode [where SCANSat was installed and Ribbons went missing]) I made a new quicksave named it "ribbonsdamnit".sfs after saving I "alt+F4"ed out of the game.

I went to the previously saved folder opened the "persistent.sfs" that was automatically done when I shut down the game yesterday night. I copied out all of the text in there and than I opened "ribbonsdamnit".sfs where I deleted all text and copied in the text from the previously copied "persistend.sfs", saved that and started up the game, loaded my savegame, went to the settings to allow quickloading (since I played Careermode prohibiting to load), loaded the "ribbonsdamnit" quicksave and

TAAADAAA

I´m happy again

[/Edit]

Edited by Cubeolus

Well... I just copied the whole "save" folder onto a separate HDD to install ScanSat, started up the game and ribbons gone. - So that one went as expected :D

Somehow I thought it would be enough to copy over the "save" folder again, but that didn´t do the trick. - So now I´m stranded... what exactly is meant by "copy the FF data" ?

I meant: Extract the FinalFrontier-Section from the old save and copy it into the new save with a text editor.

But I'm glad to hear, you find a solution yourself. :)

...as you may know there is no real documentation about some classes and concepts in KSP (at least I found nothing that I would call a "documentation").

Hopefully that will change since the game as been officially released and the mod makers can piece together exactly what everything does in the API without worrying too much about significant changes. This is about the best I know of, and I assume what you have been using: XML Documentation for the KSP API, which is community built. There is still a lot of class fields/properties and methods that have zero documentation, and a lot classes are straight up missing. I also don't think its been updated since the introduction of the ApplicationLauncher code. Maybe once the dust settles with the 1.0 release, Squad may release an official modding API documentation that stays up to date with each release.

This is about the best I know of, and I assume what you have been using: XML Documentation for the KSP API, which is community built.

I know this. But well, it's some kind of abstract guide. But a documentation? Maybe it's 0.1% finished then. ;)

But no pun intended. I don't think we get something like the Java documentation for KSP...

EDIT: Things are not going that well. No release today. :(

EDIT2: I finally got it to work. But all save games have to be converted on startup. Still not ready to release. I will have to test it carefully and I will add a simple dialog at startup.

Edited by Nereid

I wish I had read this thread before I installed ScanSat :(

I dont even have that excuse... I just didnt realise (its sorta obvious in retrospect) that Scansat made changes in the persistence file...

Guess this gives me a chance to make a new career save (again) for the KSP release....

What other popular mods write to persistance?

Many. Looking at my save; ContractConfigurator, ScanSat, Deadly Reentry, Editor Extensions, Science Alert, Waypoint Manager, TAC LifeSupport, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Contracts Window +, RemoteTech, MapOverlay, etc and those are just the ones that use SCENARIOs to save their info and not the ones that do it oddly like FF.

If one of you that have lost ribbons has backups or an older quicksave, I can help. And patience. I think 0.8 is ready in a few minutes...

I am the moron who didn't make any backups before he installed ScanSat.

But your work is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ok, I have uploaded 0.8.1 0.8.2. The persistence is redone and it is using a ScenarioModule like all other mods do.

But it was not possible to load the old data just by resuming a game. I have solved this by writing a check for old save games at startup and the option to convert those save games. After two days of frustration, I decided to go this way. And the code is ugly; very ugly. But the converter is simple: load all nodes, load data, delete old node, save nodes. Most is done by using KSP methods to do this. So I don't think it will do any harm to a game. But I cannot guarantee for this of course.

Conclusion: Make backups before you start FF 0.8.x! (or just take the risk)

And feedback please, if it works for you. I have tested 0.8.x by a short checklist and I think it will cover all important aspects. But I may have overlooked something...

EDIT: I will take a break now... over 200 times I have started KSP for testing purposes the last four days. :confused::confused: I do not want to see those pesky little green men anymore for a while. ;)

Edited by Nereid

EDIT: I will take a break now... about 200 times I have started KSP for testing purposes the last four days. :confused::confused: I do not want to see those pesky little green men anymore for a while. ;)

Quick! Somebody make Nereid a texture pack so they load up as little BLUE men! :D

Quick! Somebody make Nereid a texture pack so they load up as little BLUE men! :D

Yeah... like my car. :)

And for those who are still using KSP 1.0.0: Final Frontier 0.8.2 for KSP 1.0.0

EDIT: The difference between 0.8.1 and 0.8.2: I have removed two suspicious load/save calls from the old game events. They are not used anymore but I forgot to remove them. Because all my tests were fine on 0.8.1 I don't think they do any harm anyway.

Edited by Nereid

Ok, I have uploaded 0.8.1 0.8.2. The persistence is redone and it is using a ScenarioModule like all other mods do.

But it was not possible to load the old data just by resuming a game. I have solved this by writing a check for old save games at startup and the option to convert those save games. After two days of frustration, I decided to go this way. And the code is ugly; very ugly. But the converter is simple: load all nodes, load data, delete old node, save nodes. Most is done by using KSP methods to do this. So I don't think it will do any harm to a game. But I cannot guarantee for this of course.

Conclusion: Make backups before start FF 0.8.x! (or just take the risk)

And feedback please, if it works for you. I have tested 0.8.x by a short checklist and I think it will cover all important aspects. But I may have overlooked something...

EDIT: I will take a break now... about 200 times I have started KSP for testing purposes the last four days. :confused::confused: I do not want to see those pesky little green men anymore for a while. ;)

Gratz on fixing the age old bug.

The game felt very bland without this great mod

Hello.

Just a thanks about this mod, I find it very nice and elegant made. It seem to work as a charm too. It feel like these little green mens are very happy and proud of these rubbons ^^

Conclusion: Make backups before you start FF 0.8.x! (or just take the risk)

EDIT: I will take a break now... over 200 times I have started KSP for testing purposes the last four days. :confused::confused: I do not want to see those pesky little green men anymore for a while. ;)

Hi there, thanks for an amazing mod and the time you put in!

I seem to be having a problem though since updating. I launch the game and then comes up to your convert screen, however, the games locks up and then crashes. Perhaps I'm missing something? There isn't even a crash log to check either :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.