Kiwi Lander - A reusable Mun-capable lander built around the new Kn-2 cockpit

RoboRay

bJd7kcq.png

The Kiwi Lander is designed to operate from low-munar orbit, landing and returning its crew to LMO. Transportation to and from the Mun requires additional hardware.

The craft provides sufficient delta v for its intended Mun-landing mission and an additional 25% reserve for scouting a landing site or emergencies.

Minmus operations are, of course, well within Kiwi's capabilities.

WARNING: The Kiwi is not capable of surviving a landing-attempt on Kerbin.

As with any assymetrical design, slight uncommanded rotation under thrust is possible as the center of mass changes during flight. Kiwi is well-balanced so the effects are minimal, but thrust should be conducted with SAS engaged to mitigate any balance issues.

dlsIFHa.png

tnMUdLy.png

ZbNbjfN.png

EHxMTh9.png

26EKEHa.png

7ZJfDFe.png

PuEdzZL.png

wKFiQ2O.png

wUd7BiP.png

Kiwi's Kn-2 cockpit features a deceptively spacious and well-equipped interior. Standard crew-size is three, with an external seat providing a total capacity of four on rescue missions.

T9qq9vS.png

EU3JiYY.png

VjGa7NT.png

GvP6IoY.png

hzNt7ls.png

OS4a0lw.png

JlvwyOV.png

gla76uP.png

Kiwi is available in two versions, a basic model that requires only the Kn-2 cockpit and KAS (which is essential due to the use of some structural elements), and a deluxe model that integrates RemoteTech omni antennas, ScanSAT map receiver and MechJeb.

A comprehensive science package is installed on both models, as is a belly-mounted KAS winch for hoisting cargo. A variety of winch attachments and spare emergency parts for the craft are loaded into the two aft storage boxes.

The aft engine, KAS winch, and both docking ports are in-line with the Center of Mass and make suitable attaching points when mounting the lander to a launch vehicle.

Action groups are configured as follows:

AG1 - Toggle aft engine for longitudinal thrust.

AG2 - Toggle ventral engines for vertical thrust.

AG4 - Toggle solar panel deployment.

AG6 - Winch: Eject

AG7 - Winch: Unplug

AG8 - Winch: Retract

AG9 - Winch: Extend

AG0 - Winch: Release

Basic download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14176520/Kiwi%20Lander%20(Basic).craft

Deluxe download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14176520/Kiwi%20Lander.craft

Edited by RoboRay

:D It's looks very cool and tiny, and looks like a flying car :P I'm downloading this, i already have both mods. How do you download it though, the link gives me a bunch of coding words?

Just take the file and drop it in your saves directory.

Mine is at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\Matthanian Space Initiative\Ships\VAB

:D It's looks very cool and tiny, and looks like a flying car :P I'm downloading this, i already have both mods. How do you download it though, the link gives me a bunch of coding words?

KSP .craft files are stored as plain-text. Right-click the link and choose "Save As" to download the file. Put it in your KSP\saves\[name]\ships\VAB or ...SPH folder. It was created in the SPH, but you'll probably want it in the VAB to build a rocket underneath to get it into orbit.

KSP .craft files are stored as plain-text. Right-click the link and choose "Save As" to download the file. Put it in your KSP\saves\[name]\ships\VAB or ...SPH folder. It was created in the SPH, but you'll probably want it in the VAB to build a rocket underneath to get it into orbit.

Thanks, it's my first time downloading a craft, thanks for the help :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.