KSP Movie?

NASAFanboy

Should Kerbal Space Program have an official animated movie?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kerbal Space Program have an official animated movie?

Wouldn't it be nice to have Squad work with another (Hopefully huge, like PIXAR) company to produce an movie based off Kerbal Space Program?

It wouldn't be the first time a video game became a movie.

Halo did it, for example, and so did Lego.

Just wondering if this would be possible. I would certainly pay to watch it. It need not spoil currently roleplay fantasies, though, and could be completely based off an hypothetical KSP mission to Jool, or even doing an "Grand Tour" mission to land on every body of the entire solar system, or, if we wished to go a little more boldly, show first contact between kerbals and humans.

Such an movie could drum up tons of interest in KSP and Space Exploration as an whole, and could not only benifit Squad, but real life space agencies and companies.

Edited by NASAFanboy

That would be a very nice idea, and possibly very exciting if executed correctly, however working with a big company like Pixar also means handing over rights to KSP. A TV series would also be good, but I worry about ruining the image of KSP.

Fan-made movies would definitely be a good option, and I heard that they're going to be adding easier camera stuff to KSP soon, so making videos will be even more fun!

Edited by Crafty

It couldn't be so superficial.

The characters need charisma, and a good story for the movie.

Something cliche like saving kerbin from a kranken attack (with the kranken being created as one of the ksp videos show).

And something like the story of the kerbalkind and their tech as a criticism to our civilization would be really nice.

Even make it on "hsinaps sdrawkcab" with legends (the kerbal language, backwards spanish).

There is a lot that can be done, the three main characters and von kerman etc are already there, someone just have to put that on a movie.

But please, nothing like gravity, that film was a pain to watch, even puting my best effort to not consider the physics flaws

Edited by tetryds

I actually have an idea for this. Jeb, Bob, and Bill are preparing to blast off for the first Munar landing. Everything is going wrong with the rocket and tensions are already rising. After the first rocket literally tips over and blows up while being rolled to the launch pad, the trio finally lifts off and heads for the Mun. The journey is like the one in Apollo 13, but with lots of humor and accidental breaking of various experiments. Eventually, the reach the Mun, land, and return during the climax of the movie. That honestly seems like the best premise for a movie about something so open-ended. Of course, I could be wrong.

Or something that, Jeb plans Eve aerobreaking, but something goes very wrong and he reenters and falls down like a brick.

They lose radio contact and have to build a rocket that can rescue him...

The problem is that Jeb rocket was made by himself, and the Kerbals have to develop all the rocketry to be abble to rescue Jeb.

The story bases on an entity that causes all their rescue attempts to fail.

When they succeed in orbiting Eve for searching Jeb, a giantic green creature apears.

Then suddenly, something hits it and it gets trow into a reentry trajectory.

And jeb apears, he re-created his rocket.

Found out that under the superficial layer of Eve's sand there is the basic material used for super glue, and that the oceans are in fact rocket fuel.

But he only had one chance to meet the rescue mission because it wouldnt be abble to return home, only orbit.

They rescue him and go back to kerbin.

Wee.

Guest Brody_Peffley
Directed by Scott Manley... Special Effects by Danny2462... Intro voiceover by Tanuki_Chan with her radio voice...

Somebody should make a ksp movie thats a animation. Just use a super computer :P

I got a good idea for a KSP movie.

An Duna expedition is stranded after an aerobraking manuveur goes wrong, causing the crew to crashland on Duna. With food and supplies running low, KSC hastily prepares an old decommissioned military rocket to send the prototype Kerbin Return Vehicle to Duna, since an replacement KRV wouldn't be ready for an month.

Meanwhile on Duna, Jeb desperately tries to keep morale up, and cannabilizes an robotic rover for spare parts. Contact with KSC is maintained, and an large dust storm, of which will last a year, will begin very soon. Despite many setbacks, KSC manages to launch the rocket. The dust storm begins and traps the crew inside the habitat lander. The KRV misses the astronauts, since the storm shutdown the sensors.

Facing death, the crew salvage their manned rover and begin a long trek through the storm. A front tire bursts, and they are forced to make repairs. Later, the main antenna is blown away, cutting contact with KSC. Reaching the KRV, the crew liftoff from Duna, but their ship is badly damaged during ascent, forcing more repairs. They finally settle in into an free return trajectory to Kerbin.

Right before reentry, they are informed of probelms with the head shield, but Jeb elects to reenter anyways. Against all odds the crew arrive safely back on Kerbin.

A KSP movie doesn't make sense. Why not just make a space movie with relatable human characters? You do realize the reason KSP got popular in the first place was because the Kerbals are so easy to slaughter. Though a KSP movie will probably be made anyways. It would be a good excuse to half-ass career mode and scrap two core features because apparently the Kerbals learned the phrase "too complex". (Resources and interstellar travel.)

A KSP movie doesn't make sense. Why not just make a space movie with relatable human characters? You do realize the reason KSP got popular in the first place was because the Kerbals are so easy to slaughter. Though a KSP movie will probably be made anyways. It would be a good excuse to half-ass career mode and scrap two core features because apparently the Kerbals learned the phrase "too complex". (Resources and interstellar travel.)

A KSP movie will likely only have Bill, Jeb and Bob.

These kerbalnauts are often given human chracteristics. After all, not everyone who plays KSP is an heartless murderer, right? Other than actively promote the game, a movie would likely not affect core gameplau features.

Its a great idea.

Kerbals themselves are great characters. There fun for adults and even more fun for kids. And that's the important part. KSP has great potential. What we need is proper inspiration for children growing up today. ( We dont have it at the moment ) This little video game happens to be incredible fun and is also incredibly educational. Even more so.. inspirational. ( I was never into rocketry as much as I am now. ) There is not a single other game on this Earth that shares those traits.

So later down the line lets say the game obtains its fare share of fans. And sure, why not. Pixar takes note of the rising popularity of this game. A Toy Story-like movie could be created, but at the same time be smart. A silly, fun story ( If you've seen any animated movie im sure you could come up with something right here and now ) paired with rocket science.

But even if there is no movie KSP is already doing this. Games not even in beta and look at what we have. In my experiences KSP is the most complete "alpha" Ive ever seen. Especially for new comers. A movie would be a lot of fun. And if done right would be good for Squad and KSP. But It may not be necessary..

Edited by Motokid600

Kerbals are so easy to slaughter.

Personally, I don't see them as expendable redshirts. They all have names and personalities; how could anyone (incorporating knowledge that they are virtual representations of beings) assume otherwise? Just because they're overly easy to kill when you screw up doesn't mean it's a-okay.

I see them as a lot like Despicable Me minions, except more capable. Cute, goofy, courageous to a fault of course, and yet obviously with a scientific aptitude. I think they'd make a delightful movie if a captivating plot could be figured out.

Yeah, I don't think it would work. And defining the characters too much could dampen the variation in how Bill,Jeb are portrayed in the Fan Works forum.

We have Jebs that range from steely eyed to cheerful idiot. Each story needs its characters to work a certain way, an official characterisations might lead to some stories which would've been awesome, never being imagined.

The story behind that dead Kraken on Bop (is it Bop?). He smashed up Kerbin's rockets pretty good, but they got him in the end. Now to relaunch the space programme using all the debris from the epic space battles that is now just lying on the side of the road...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.