The Ultimate VTOL Challenge

I managed to get airborne with 4 plasma drives as well using RCS to power them, I'm guessing they're in the same class as an argon ion drive. Has anyone else tried the Throttle-Controlled-Avionics plugin? I've got asymmetric front/rear engines with robotic swiveling on two axis and no reaction wheel and it's holding it dead flat, it's a shame it can't deal with the slow throttle of the jet engines.

Hi there here my take on challenge

VTOL Kerbear

Purely exploration vehicle for Kerbin atmosphere

Mods used:

B9 aerospace

RCSBuildAid

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

KAS – doesn't play a role but it was visible for a second there so...

Enhanced Navball

more in video

(EDIT)

Craft file:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/vtol-kerbear/

Edited by DirkLarien

I was wondering recently... Specifically, wondering if I could manage to build the Highwind. Yes, the FF7 airship. And if so, if it is possible to add the alternate modes. You know, that thing it does whenever Cid decides to be Cid and press the big red button he doesn't know the function of.

Naturally, it seems the way to start is to start with the ending piece (or rather, the airship's form as shown in the ending sequence of the game). Then build the main airship around it. And as the first "stage" put its props on.

Unfortunately, most of the internet material on the subject is only default form highwind. This may be difficult. I have learned so far though that the main viewing area at the bottom is NOT, in fact, the Highwind's Bridge. Its the other thing, a little forward and above.

Edit: Actually, it MIGHT be that part after all. The design of this thing makes no bloody sense.

Edit: Oh NOW I see. In final form, the bridge retracts upwards to the main body of the ship!

The more I look at this thing, the more I realize just how unbelievably kerbal that airship's design is.

Edited by Ryu Gemini

I really like the look of some of the bigger ships in this thread, I started with something smaller though. It launches at 1.34T, can carry six passengers or 60% of its mass more than half way around Kerbin, complete a continuous lap at 36,000m/2000+m/s and with an additional small atomic rocket (allowable small design change?) can attain orbit and complete Munar operations - could be the Pogo Award.

Uses Skeppies mini-pack and B9 (and KAS). The center engine mount can rotate a full 360*, it shouldn't be pointed at the pilot or front wings though :)

For the two mass/Kerbal challenges to KSC2 and the dirt runway, since six Kerbals in six command seats adds 0.8T to the craft (the Kerbals must carry the seats to the craft and attach them, and also remove them after the flight), I counted the same mission as achieving both (delivering 0.8T/60% of mass and six Kerbals safely). They can easily be flown again with just the equivalent mass if necessary.

I tried to launch from KSC to orbit and to Mun and got there and landed but only had enough fuel to safely fly 20Km from the first landing, from Mun orbit it can complete the challenge, and it's only 2T to move there.

http://imgur.com/a/ahusP

Well done! And a very unique VTOL to boot. Leaderboard Updated! I 'didn't see any shots of either of the payload awards. Let me know if I missed them.

Presenting...

Stock VTOL Rover/Boat SSTO!

Although I didn't have enough time to complete all the distinctions, I did do the Bedstead Award and Harrier distinction awards. It should be capable of attaining the Airgeep Distinction, Moller Distinction, Dornier Award, Osprey Award, Delta Clipper Award, and MLRV awards though. In other words, it should be capable of attaining all awards except for the DARPA VTOL-X Award, which I'm not entirely sure of.

But the main feature of this craft is that it includes rover wheels and RTGs for driving around with. It reaches top speeds of 45 m/s on rover wheels alone!

Welllll.... What I"m seeing in this video is more of a VSTOL (Vertical Short Take Off and Landing). I went ahead and added you to the Leaderboard because I see it has that capability but keep in mind, for all the other challenges, I'm looking for pure vertical takeoffs and landings.

If I'm using an antimatter reactor and 4 KSPI plasma drives, does it counts as Who need a runway or Tesla fanatics?

Ok, I've never used those plasmas so I can't give you a definite. I'll sum it up this way. If you use any liquid fuel, it's Runway regardless of reactors. If you use no liquid fuel and electric sources, it's Tesla.

Hi there here my take on challenge

VTOL Kerbear

Purely exploration vehicle for Kerbin atmosphere

Mods used:

B9 aerospace

RCSBuildAid

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

KAS – doesn't play a role but it was visible for a second there so...

Enhanced Navball

I like this one! But, I'm a B9 fan anyway. I have you for Bedstead and Moller, leaderboard updated. Let me know if I missed anything.

I was wondering recently... Specifically, wondering if I could manage to build the Highwind. Yes, the FF7 airship. And if so, if it is possible to add the alternate modes. You know, that thing it does whenever Cid decides to be Cid and press the big red button he doesn't know the function of.

Good luck with that! I had to actually look it up to see what you were talking about. I looks like the basic shape may be doable but as for functions, no idea what it does.

Well done! And a very unique VTOL to boot. Leaderboard Updated! I 'didn't see any shots of either of the payload awards. Let me know if I missed them.
When a Kerbal sits on a command seat he weighs 0.09T and the seat weighs 0.05T, delivering 6 Kerbals and 6 command seats (they were attached after launch from SPH and removed safely upon landing) also delivers 0.84T mass (it's not like a pod where 0 or 3 or 6 internal Kerbals don't effect the pods mass - when they enter/spawn in a pod/internal their mass magically vanishes and the craft doesn't get any heavier, on a command seat they have mass still and each effects weight/balance and increases drag, ect., becoming a payload), that mass was added to the craft on the runway and removed safely at the destination (KAS allows a Kerbal to carry a command seat and attach/detach it from the craft). I thought I'd demonstrated carrying 0.84T mass (payload) as well as six Kerbals, I can fly the same missions again without the Kerbals/command seats if necessary and just attach 0.84T of other parts instead but to me it appears to be the same thing.

I've been reserving comment on m1sz's BATVTOL because I thot I was going to have one of the coolest looking VTOL's even if I couldn't do all of my own challenges with it. Well, m1sz... coolness challenge accepted. Sorry for the low rez selfies but, as I've mentioned, I'm on the crappy laptop.

May I present, the Starfish

VH3-1.png

VH3-2.png

VH3-3.png

So far, I've tested it carrying 40 tons to the Island Runway and pretty sure I can work out the few bugs it has there. I've tested it's orbital abilities and I got close, going to have to work on that. And it's fuel consumption is MORE than good enough for a circumnavigation. Once I get home on the 14th, I'll have some more results to post.

Edited by Fengist

When a Kerbal sits on a command seat he weighs 0.09T and the seat weighs 0.05T, delivering 6 Kerbals and 6 command seats (they were attached after launch from SPH and removed safely upon landing) also delivers 0.84T mass (it's not like a pod where 0 or 3 or 6 internal Kerbals don't effect the pods mass - when they enter/spawn in a pod/internal their mass magically vanishes and the craft doesn't get any heavier, on a command seat they have mass still and each effects weight/balance and increases drag, ect., becoming a payload), that mass was added to the craft on the runway and removed safely at the destination (KAS allows a Kerbal to carry a command seat and attach/detach it from the craft). I thought I'd demonstrated carrying 0.84T mass (payload) as well as six Kerbals, I can fly the same missions again without the Kerbals/command seats if necessary and just attach 0.84T of other parts instead but to me it appears to be the same thing.

Well, that's stretching things a bit. The purpose of the 2 cargo events is not only to prove that you can lift and deliver the weight it's also about the problems that come with changes to center of mass. The reason I have those two events is so that when you're done, you'll know that you have a vehicle capable of moving more than just Kerbals... and command chairs. Hopefully, you'll be able to use that lifting ability in other areas/challenges. One of the guys in my HELO challenge is desperately trying to get the KAS winch to work on his helo with a 40 ton payload. If he does, and he mostly has, he can move most anything around on any planet with an atmosphere.

Well, that's stretching things a bit. The purpose of the 2 cargo events is not only to prove that you can lift and deliver the weight it's also about the problems that come with changes to center of mass. The reason I have those two events is so that when you're done, you'll know that you have a vehicle capable of moving more than just Kerbals... and command chairs. Hopefully, you'll be able to use that lifting ability in other areas/challenges. One of the guys in my HELO challenge is desperately trying to get the KAS winch to work on his helo with a 40 ton payload. If he does, and he mostly has, he can move most anything around on any planet with an atmosphere.
Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you're saying, so the payload has be a single object? Because that isn't made clear in the OP. I would of designed a totally different craft, if the payload has to be a single mass it has to be attached directly below the CoM and I put my engine there instead so I could use just one for efficiency. It can carry 60% of it's mass to dirt runway or KSC2 and turn around and carry it back again without refueling but not as a single one piece payload, only two halves or other equal fractions. I could attach 40% to one side and a discard-able 40% counterbalance to the other, I'm not sure why anyone would though, they'd just send a different vehicle because that design can't manage single payloads.

And yes, I've already lifted things on a KAS rope - It often ends badly :)

I've been reserving comment on m1sz's BATVTOL because I thot I was going to have one of the coolest looking VTOL's even if I couldn't do all of my own challenges with it. Well, m1sz... coolness challenge accepted. Sorry for the low rez selfies but, as I've mentioned, I'm on the crappy laptop.

May I present, the Starfish

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/VH3-1.png

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/VH3-2.png

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/VH3-3.png

So far, I've tested it carrying 40 tons to the Island Runway and pretty sure I can work out the few bugs it has there. I've tested it's orbital abilities and I got close, going to have to work on that. And it's fuel consumption is MORE than good enough for a circumnavigation. Once I get home on the 14th, I'll have some more results to post.

hahahaha, love the STARFISH!, Im not entirely sure you can go to the moon with that, but it's gonna be legendary if you do :P

pd: pay attention, im uploading my moon landing on youtube, and it's so crashy..., BATVTOL is sure STRONK!

oK, i've added my moon landing video to my BATVTOL post here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67461-The-Ultimate-VTOL-Challenge?p=938998&viewfull=1#post938998

video is here:

I know I know, BATVTOL is SUPER STRONGH. I think I deserve a safety measures award or something :P

(I dontk now what is wrong with cyberlink power director 11, it doesnt cut my video where I command, sorry, the end of it is bull****!)

Edited by m1sz

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you're saying, so the payload has be a single object?

Now I didn't say that...

Because that isn't made clear in the OP. I would of designed a totally different craft, if the payload has to be a single mass it has to be attached directly below the CoM and I put my engine there instead so I could use just one for efficiency. It can carry 60% of it's mass to dirt runway or KSC2 and turn around and carry it back again without refueling but not as a single one piece payload, only two halves or other equal fractions. I could attach 40% to one side and a discard-able 40% counterbalance to the other, I'm not sure why anyone would though, they'd just send a different vehicle because that design can't manage single payloads.

What I'm looking for is something that looks like cargo, a rover, a fuel tank, etc. The thinking is, use this new VTOL to move stuff around, not just lawn chairs. Keep in mind, I never said you couldn't paradrop your cargo either. It just has to land safely.

And yes, I've already lifted things on a KAS rope - It often ends badly :)

Ummm yea. I just tried yanking a 36 ton rockomax with KAS using my Starfish. Talk about having a big one on the end of the pole... I got it off the ground but it did not end well.

After many, many iterations! I present V-STS-C-Firefly (VTOL Space Transport System - Cargo).

TizExFp.jpg

It is a confirmed Pogo stick winner capable of achieving all the tasks with only minor modification. The main one being swapping out Jet VTOL engines for Rocket VTOL engines for the MLRV award and an addition of an internal tank for the Moller Distinction.

Drop tanks seen in some of the following pictures are there to balance out the internal payloads.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Presenting a Pogo Stick contestant the:

V-STS-P-Hummingbird

weighing in at 15.6tn

http://imgur.com/a/iFs2D

The Bedstead Award: Check

The Airgeep Distinction & The DARPA VTOL-X Award: Check and Check (Playload weighed in at 7.41tn (47.5%))

The Harrier Distinction: Check

The Mollar Distinction: Check (I flew up to 60km and the circlrised my orbit to be ~60x60, kept my speed up until i did a retrograde burn to come down and land on top of the VAB)

The Dornier Award and Osprey Award: Check ( Base aircraft only capable of holding 4 so I carried an additional 6 in the payload... - The payload weighed in art 4.51tn(28%))

The Delta Clipper Award: Check (This craft was originally designed to transfer crew to a station at 120km)

The MLRV Award: Check ( Landed on the Mun, Planter "Landing Zone Alpha" Flag - Craft modication: Jet VTOL Engines changed to rocket VTOL engines)

The Pogo Stick Award: Check!

If all the above is within the rules.

Mods: FAR, B9, Kebral Engineer and Kethane for a handy 1tn exactly tank

Not meaning to upset you but it says in the challenge rules for the mun challenge that you have to takes off and land 100km away but you only flew 10.9km away from your alpha landing site. Technically to Qualify for the mun challenge you still have to go 89.1km.

P.S. sorry if this seems rude.

After many, many iterations! I present V-STS-C-Firefly (VTOL Space Transport System - Cargo).

http://i.imgur.com/TizExFp.jpg

It is a confirmed Pogo stick winner capable of achieving all the tasks with only minor modification. The main one being swapping out Jet VTOL engines for Rocket VTOL engines for the MLRV award and an addition of an internal tank for the Moller Distinction.

Drop tanks seen in some of the following pictures are there to balance out the internal payloads.

http://imgur.com/a/DyoyO

Don't you need to go 100km from your flag for the MLRV Award.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.