What are the most important things you've learned about playing KSP to pass on?

Mark 2 Fuselage parts are a "newbie trap" for would-be SSTOs.

Almost every problem SSTO you see on the questions subforum relates to a mk2 design,  and I too struggled with mk2s that could barely do more than orbit,  until I tried my first mk1 and mk3 designs.

These parts have 2 or 3 times the drag of mk1, but hold no more fuel.   Yet, given the information available in-game, it is understandable why almost everyone attempting to build their first SSTO ends up using the parts hardest to SSTO successfully with.

1. they look sleeker than mk1 or mk3.    They strongly resemble the fastest jet built, the SR71 blackbird, with the Chines.
  2. much higher temperature tolerance than mk1, without the apparent bulkiness of mk3.
  3. mention of the "extra lift" in the description, makes those blended wing / body chines look like a great deal.  In practice they produce about as much lift as the smallest modular wing segment, for over 100x the drag...

For first time spaceplaners - just build a mk1 and use an inline cockpit , with the crewed bits mounted as far back as possible to keep them away from the heat.  

Mk2s can be made, but require advanced construction techniques like built in wing incidence to reduce fuselage drag (even with that, they still perform worse than mk1s without wing incidence) .  On mk2s,  the extra drag means there is a very narrow window between  not enough engine (can't break mach 1)  and too much engine (too much dry mass to have the delta v to reach orbit)

On 2/23/2017 at 10:34 PM, Numerlor said:

Use some "backup" solar panels in cause you forgot (non retractable ones) or reactors

Use a RTG. Much lighter and one is enough for what you are looking for(also, Kerbal can open up solar panel while on EVA, even if there is no electricity left)

11 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Use a RTG. Much lighter and one is enough for what you are looking for(also, Kerbal can open up solar panel while on EVA, even if there is no electricity left)

Well that is the thing I reffered to as reactor, but in early career or while low on funds you simply cannot use it for probes

12 hours ago, Numerlor said:

Well that is the thing I reffered to as reactor, but in early career or while low on funds you simply cannot use it for probes

If price is a worrying factor, you will never gather enough funds to buy reactors if you keep sticking "backup" solar panels on every probe :wink:

On 3/10/2017 at 4:28 PM, LordCorwin said:

Keep always a battery fully loaded and cut their usage. So if by any chance you get out of fluid and with panels closed, you could use it to open the panels and reload all your batteries.

No, since KSP 1.1 that doesn't work anymore. Now if a probe is dead, there is nothing the player can activate on the craft (neither functions nor fuels lock)

Possibly been mentioned before on the previous 25 pages but...

If playing the Steam version and using the standard key mappings... Do not - under any circumstances although especially when trying to get an encounter deep between planets - press shift-tab to bring up the Steam overlay and talk to friends!!

On 3/13/2017 at 5:10 AM, Blaarkies said:

No, since KSP 1.1 that doesn't work anymore. Now if a probe is dead, there is nothing the player can activate on the craft (neither functions nor fuels lock)

I've tested it and works... 

People seem to talk a lot about different techniques, but as I learn about KSP, as I'm sure a lot of people are on this forum thread, I realise that sometimes, the best way to work something out is to just stop. Take 5 and calm down. This game can sometimes be enraging, especially when you are learning the ropes. Try not to let yourself get too success-crazy, because you won't get most things right the first time. Don't forget; this is a game, and games are meant to be fun. 

If it goes kaboom let it go kaboom.

Look why, think about, and try again.

Failure is a concept to go forward.  

Every Failure has a bit of information how to be succeful next time.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

On 3/20/2017 at 4:39 AM, Blaarkies said:

Stop lying, it's a bad habit. Update your game past 1.1, then come back...
http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/9650

Sorry Blaarkies, I don't lie, I make mistakes, as in this case.

You're right, I've tested again and you can't do nothing if a probe is dead.

Edited by LordCorwin

• 2 weeks later...

This is a genuinely pathetic answer, but for me the most important thing I've learned is the ALT+L to disengage staging.

Before discovering this, the number of flights I screwed up because I accidentally hit the space bar are too numerous to mention; there isn't much worse than dumping part of your rocket before using it.

Right clicking on the engine to bring up the menu allowing the engine to be shut down is a very close second as I was also a dab hand at firing up the motor(s) unintentionally by hitting the Z key (never the shift for some reason).  It usually isn't as serious as staging by mistake, but it was no fun either. 

On 3/19/2017 at 11:39 PM, Blaarkies said:

Stop lying, it's a bad habit. Update your game past 1.1, then come back...
http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/9650

On 3/23/2017 at 4:37 PM, LordCorwin said:

Sorry Blaarkies, I don't lie, I make mistakes, as in this case.

You're right, I've tested again and you can't do nothing if a probe is dead.

I think the confusion may lie in the definition of "dead."

First, depends on your settings pertaining to connection, whether you have it set to no connection = truly dead or no connection = limited. Second, a hibernating probe can still have some functions able to operate while hibernating.

In my current career, since I have come back to KSP after a long while and comms networks are new to me, I have mine set to no connection = limited control. And I discovered even in that instance, my one probe that was too far out could still fully (Z key) ignite its little engine or fully (X key) kill it, but I could not SHIFT or CTRL. Also, I discovered a hibernating probe can still allow you to open and close a service bay (though this particular probe body was in an LKO with full connection, but I set it to hibernate nonetheless).

Edited by jros83

1 hour ago, jros83 said:

I think the confusion may lie in the definition of "dead."

First, depends on your settings pertaining to connection, whether you have it set to no connection = truly dead or no connection = limited. Second, a hibernating probe can still have some functions able to operate while hibernating.

In my current career, since I have come back to KSP after a long while and comms networks are new to me, I have mine set to no connection = limited control. And I discovered even in that instance, my one probe that was too far out could still fully (Z key) ignite its little engine or fully (X key) kill it, but I could not SHIFT or CTRL. Also, I discovered a hibernating probe can still allow you to open and close a service bay (though this particular probe body was in an LKO with full connection, but I set it to hibernate nonetheless).

Not for comms, but for electricity(a few posts above that).

In the old ksp versions, players could lock/unlock fuel tanks, start/shutdown engine, etc. anywhere at anytime, even on debris. An old booster stage left in orbit could have it's tanks locked/unlocked at any time. But since some version near ksp 1.1, that bug was removed, and since an out-of-electricity probe is just a dead piece of debris with no command, it could no longer "unlock" the battery

The probe hibernation is the obvious/correct way to do this now 

1 - don't bother with asparagus in career mode unless you use a mod for stage recovery. It's just too damn expensive to throw away your engines as you go up.

2 - In career, single first stage with 3500 dV, an adequate control wheel, a probe and chutes are kings. While not beeing the most efficient use of your fuel, it is the most efficient use of your funds. Leave your payload in LKO, make a full revolution around Kerbin, fire retrograde and land gracefully near the KSP. Recovering 95% of your huge engines in the first stage can easily half the price of any mission, making the profits skyrocket, if i may say so.

3 - clusters of smaller engines are often better than the biggest ones, and more flexible as you can choose the size of your cluster. Try to do the math to see which combination fits your needs. Plus, a launcher with 24 nozzles spitting inferno is just awesome.

Bonus: if you have kids, introduce them to KSP to show them that math and physics are not just made of boring, blackboard and chalk equations, but the awesome knowledge allowing for awesome stuff.

Edited by kermand

Hello, fellow Kerbo-nauts!  This is my first post so bear with me.

Some of the things I learned from the tutorials; "1.2 Ascent profile and Gravity Turn" by A_Name is awesome.  Some from the whiteboard videos; "How to use the Navball" by Buckeye Monkey, this guy covered the topic in four well informed and broad encompassing videos and showed some target maneuvers that were very helpful.  As well his planetary transfers are brilliant, such as launching from the Mun to the West (270 Deg) to aid getting your periapsis nice and low in one shot.  I could go on and on.

The stuff that sticks with me are my mistakes :) , in the instance I sent up a probe, did the science and transmitted it BEFORE deploying the solar panels!  EC= 0! <forehead slap> GAH!  Launch, position, deploy, THEN do the science.

I hope this helps someone else!

Happy rocketing,

Grounder

PS:  Being a purist I don't care for mods but Kerbal Engineer Redux is essential!

Edited by Grounder
Forgot the last point.

On 4/5/2017 at 11:54 AM, kermand said:

3 - clusters of smaller engines are often better than the biggest ones, and more flexible as you can choose the size of your cluster. Try to do the math to see which combination fits your needs. Plus, a launcher with 24 nozzles spitting inferno is just awesome.

No. They only advantage is having smaller increments in TWR to choose from:
3 Terriers might be just enough thrust, while a Poodle would be overkill...but 3 Terriers have a mass of 1.5t, while a Poodle has a mass of 1.75t. So on the 4th terrier you are already losing out(not to mention the slight lack of Isp)

Generally, the bigger engines have better TWR (thrust to engine mass ratio) but in some cases a Rhino is just too big, but then it is more efficient to fill the big chunk of TWR with a Poodle, and the remaining TWR with 2 Terriers

17 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

3 Terriers might be just enough thrust, while a Poodle would be overkill...but 3 Terriers have a mass of 1.5t, while a Poodle has a mass of 1.75t. So on the 4th terrier you are already losing out(not to mention the slight lack of Isp)

Thanks for making my point. 3 terrier gives you the thrust you need and weight less than a poodle. In certain cases, the lack of isp is made up with the reduction of your engine mass. In certain case, not so. Hence the importance of doing the math or checking with KER.

I might be mistaken, but i consider the net TWR of engines to be not very useful information, especialy in the case of first stages, where the mass of engines is usually negligible compared to the mass of fuel+payload. What counts if the total TWR of your ship.