What are the most important things you've learned about playing KSP to pass on?

I learned that, when you fall on side on some low gravity place, you can get up by opening and closing service bay.

Useful when you screw landing on Mun or Minmus

Edited by Raptor42

1 hour ago, prgmTrouble said:

A lot of my advice has already been stated, however one interesting thing I have not seen was marking the runway. Put one small probe body at each end so that landing space planes does not mean fireworks.

Probes,  or flags,  or map it with a mod.   

Also keep in mind that the grass at the side of the runaway is flat and don't explode no matter how hard your landing is. 

On 7/11/2017 at 10:16 AM, Boyster said:

Bigger doesn't always mean better.I spent many many hours trying to overpower with brute force the space enemies(gravity,aero drag etc)

and even more hours fighting my desire to sent huge spaceships to do things that half a size vessel could have easily done.

This...My bigger ships are built to be launched in parts with mostly dry fuel tanks to save weight. I assemble and fuel them in orbit. This allows me to build much larger ships without having monstrous booster stages. 

• 2 months later...

1. Place struts inside the faring so your rocket does not have an annoying wobble during ascent.

2. Instead of a direct ascent or apollo style mun mission, in career mode it is simplest to unlock the docking port jr., launch a probe with a small booster(fl-400+terrier), and then dock your single stage lander to that.  The booster should have enough delta vee for trans munar injection, a 50m/s course correction, and half of orbit insertion.  Then your lander just has to finish orbit insertion, land, and return.  

3. Make sure your rescue craft doesn't have a probe core covering the hatch.

4. If you are having trouble with something, why not make it into a forum challenge!

Edited by DAL59
fixed typo

On 1/27/2014 at 3:44 AM, ShadowDragon8685 said:

Fairings look boss as all heck and watching them pop in orbit is great, but without FAR, are they just adding mass and (paradoxically,) drag? Or do they actually shield the drag of their payload and replace it all with their own drag in stock,

Fairings actually do shield the drag of the payload.  They do what they are supposed to.  They help with thermal protection as well.

51 minutes ago, MrChumley said:

Fairings actually do shield the drag of the payload.  They do what they are supposed to.  They help with thermal protection as well.

But it only started to work like that well after 2014. So, ShadowDragon8685 was correct when he wrote about how wierd fairings were back then.

1 hour ago, DAL59 said:

If you are having trouble with something, why not make it into a forum challenge!

People tend to have much more patience and sympathy for a honest request for help than a lousy challenge (and sometimes a well structured challenge). 

I actually liked the idea, setting the challenge make the player face and understand his issue. However there is this big risk to consider.

My apollo alternate architecture challenge was based on some trouble I was having.  I ended up figuring it out on my own before anyone posted a reply though.  The challenge was successful.  

• 3 weeks later...

an interesting note for starting a new career, stacking fleas and lighting them in sequence will cause the bottom one to keep exploding, letting you go much higher on the first launch without decouplers.  and if you use some fins and turn them to an angle to making your rocket spin, you can make the returning part spin around unstable causing enough drag to slow you down for your chute, even tho your essentially an arrow lol

you can get the first 5 science nodes from the first launch on normal.

Edited by DD_bwest

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some tips and tricks I'd put to a new player in no specific order.

~ Be patient. This game may have quite the long learning curve without some sort of understanding of physics, particularly orbital mechanics and aerodynamics. Familiarize yourself with the terminology so that asking for help isn't quite so confusing. The masters often forget how to teach the basics first, but don't be shy or feel stupid if you need help. Come here; ask away. Most of the KSP community is willing to lend a word of wisdom when they know your questions' answers. If you want to learn, you will.
~ If you don't like a slower game or expect lots of action-intense gameplay, you might have chosen "call of doodie" instead. :P 
~ Learn what draws "the Kraken." It IS NOT a joke experienced KSP'ers tease newbies with... The Kraken is very real.
~ Check your staging. (Button-mashing won't help you in KSP)
~ "Asparagus" staging is over-rated.
~ Use a checklist and quit forgetting important things you need on your vessels. Revert, ladders; revert, 'chutes; revert, INTAKE... ∞
~ Do you even deltaV? That takes a minute... math = hard. Nope. I made it far enough to blow up though! :D Learn the "rocket equation!"
~ Single-most helpful mod: Kerbal Engineer Redux, you life-saver you! @cybutek is BadS for creating this should-be-a-stock-game-option mod, IDC what anybody says. This excellent mod is an overlay providing you with customizable displays of imperative real-time flight information. Not only that, but it also makes building and balancing in the editor modes a breeze with still more customizable displays which you can even specify by mission parameters, target world flight characteristic and so very much more than I care to rattle on about. Believe you, me: it's worth every second you spend learning how to set it up just the way you like it. I'd recommend Kerbal Engineer to every single KSP player, new or masterful. It saves you time by doing the math for you and can even save your kerbals... Yes, it does have some potentially mission-critical flaws as well, so learn how to anticipate these miscalculations by actually paying attention to the readouts.
~ Mechjeb is sorely over-rated. Especially if you already figure out KER first... Good luck, Flight. Your kerbals are now in the hands of a cold, calculating machine... As a side note, Mechjeb is a fine way to learn some of the game's mechanics, but I wouldn't recommend it to a new player, no matter how much others may suggest it to you. Learn all you can by taking hold of the flame, so to speak. Your kerbals won't judge you. (The Mystery Goo might though. :wink: )
~ Water (or whatever it is you find below ASL) doesn't like you playing in it. Go home while you still can. Things may happen there you only wish you could explain.
~ Check your staging. No, I'm serious, you changed the root part, remember? You confused yourself (and the part tree of your vessel,) therefore the previous staging settings have rebelled against your alleged "thoroughness."
~ While editing: Hold ALT and click any part other than your root part. Copy and paste, made simple. You're welcome. :wink:
~ While editing: Ctrl+Z  = UNDO LAST (at least most of the time)
~ While editing: Hold SHIFT while using the Move Tool in any editor. This should allow you to move any attached part anywhere you please. There's no stopping your imagination now! Go crazy! Just keep in mind: your frames-per-second drops, the higher your part-count gets.
~ Your wheels my betray you in certain circumstances. Don't forget to click RMB to see more info about any and all parts you're using ion the parts and in their respective parts-tab.
~ Never walk away from time-warp unless you've already done the math or have some kind of alarm set (the Kerbal Alarm Clock mod might suit you, but I use my phone reminder, so I can literally leave the house if I want. Yeah, it's rare, but sometimes it does take that long... it depends on what you're up to. ∞MINING...
~ I'd only help someone find one Easter Egg. The rest of them are waiting.... EVERYWHERE. Keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel and you're not going to need my help... it's a big solar system, but don't let that intimidate you... It's barely even a whole 1:6 scale to our solar system.
~ Pilots are over-rated. Engineers and Scientists are the only kerbals you should ever need, once enough of the tech tree is unlocked for probe cores.
~ Scientist are obsolete the moment your tech tree is complete. Engineers 4 lyfe! They improve efficiency of some parts, repair others AND repack 'chutes.

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully someone had a "eureka!" moment, but honestly sometimes I need help too. Other times, I just have to learn the hard way.

I've only been playing since version 1.0.5 and I may never quit playing this game if I don't land a base on every world possible, and return at least one kerbal back to Kerbin from each world possible. (I hate you too Eve... *cough cough* Tylo... *cough*) ...Even then I might not stop. :o 

Edited by Dark Lion

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve got one main tip for the new player: If it looks like something NASA would build and launch, it has a much higher chance of success. Big complex designs just don’t work for me, and if you trying to squeeze out more dV you can always make things lighter. That’s where I get creative.

• 3 weeks later...

The advice I wish I'd heard when I first started, is "Learn to crawl before you can walk." Go through the tutorials and training scenarios before you jump right into shooting for the Mün. I got really discouraged at first and it took a long time for me to get back on the horse, so to speak.

On 10.11.2017 at 12:14 PM, Dark Lion said:

Here are some tips and tricks I'd put to a new player in no specific order.

~ Be patient. This game may have quite the long learning curve without some sort of understanding of physics, particularly orbital mechanics and aerodynamics. Familiarize yourself with the terminology so that asking for help isn't quite so confusing. The masters often forget how to teach the basics first, but don't be shy or feel stupid if you need help. Come here; ask away. Most of the KSP community is willing to lend a word of wisdom when they know your questions' answers. If you want to learn, you will.
~ If you don't like a slower game or expect lots of action-intense gameplay, you might have chosen "call of doodie" instead. :P 
~ Learn what draws "the Kraken." It IS NOT a joke experienced KSP'ers tease newbies with... The Kraken is very real.
~ Check your staging. (Button-mashing won't help you in KSP)
~ "Asparagus" staging is over-rated.
~ Use a checklist and quit forgetting important things you need on your vessels. Revert, ladders; revert, 'chutes; revert, INTAKE... ∞
~ Do you even deltaV? That takes a minute... math = hard. Nope. I made it far enough to blow up though! :D Learn the "rocket equation!"
~ Single-most helpful mod: Kerbal Engineer Redux, you life-saver you! @cybutek is BadS for creating this should-be-a-stock-game-option mod, IDC what anybody says. This excellent mod is an overlay providing you with customizable displays of imperative real-time flight information. Not only that, but it also makes building and balancing in the editor modes a breeze with still more customizable displays which you can even specify by mission parameters, target world flight characteristic and so very much more than I care to rattle on about. Believe you, me: it's worth every second you spend learning how to set it up just the way you like it. I'd recommend Kerbal Engineer to every single KSP player, new or masterful. It saves you time by doing the math for you and can even save your kerbals... Yes, it does have some potentially mission-critical flaws as well, so learn how to anticipate these miscalculations by actually paying attention to the readouts.
~ Mechjeb is sorely over-rated. Especially if you already figure out KER first... Good luck, Flight. Your kerbals are now in the hands of a cold, calculating machine... As a side note, Mechjeb is a fine way to learn some of the game's mechanics, but I wouldn't recommend it to a new player, no matter how much others may suggest it to you. Learn all you can by taking hold of the flame, so to speak. Your kerbals won't judge you. (The Mystery Goo might though. :wink: )
~ Water (or whatever it is you find below ASL) doesn't like you playing in it. Go home while you still can. Things may happen there you only wish you could explain.
~ Check your staging. No, I'm serious, you changed the root part, remember? You confused yourself (and the part tree of your vessel,) therefore the previous staging settings have rebelled against your alleged "thoroughness."
~ While editing: Hold ALT and click any part other than your root part. Copy and paste, made simple. You're welcome. :wink:
~ While editing: Ctrl+Z  = UNDO LAST (at least most of the time)
~ While editing: Hold SHIFT while using the Move Tool in any editor. This should allow you to move any attached part anywhere you please. There's no stopping your imagination now! Go crazy! Just keep in mind: your frames-per-second drops, the higher your part-count gets.
~ Your wheels my betray you in certain circumstances. Don't forget to click RMB to see more info about any and all parts you're using ion the parts and in their respective parts-tab.
~ Never walk away from time-warp unless you've already done the math or have some kind of alarm set (the Kerbal Alarm Clock mod might suit you, but I use my phone reminder, so I can literally leave the house if I want. Yeah, it's rare, but sometimes it does take that long... it depends on what you're up to. ∞MINING...
~ I'd only help someone find one Easter Egg. The rest of them are waiting.... EVERYWHERE. Keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel and you're not going to need my help... it's a big solar system, but don't let that intimidate you... It's barely even a whole 1:6 scale to our solar system.
~ Pilots are over-rated. Engineers and Scientists are the only kerbals you should ever need, once enough of the tech tree is unlocked for probe cores.
~ Scientist are obsolete the moment your tech tree is complete. Engineers 4 lyfe! They improve efficiency of some parts, repair others AND repack 'chutes.

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully someone had a "eureka!" moment, but honestly sometimes I need help too. Other times, I just have to learn the hard way.

I've only been playing since version 1.0.5 and I may never quit playing this game if I don't land a base on every world possible, and return at least one kerbal back to Kerbin from each world possible. (I hate you too Eve... *cough cough* Tylo... *cough*) ...Even then I might not stop. :o 

Many good points here, but KSP can definitely be at least as exciting as "cowadoody", it's just exciting in a more rewarding way. "Cowaddody" is just regular adrenaline rush exciting, KSP is more "uh oh, my Kerbals are stuck in interplanetary space, but that means I get the extra challenge and extra reward of saving them somehow:D" exciting. I definitely agree with you about Kerbal Engineer, best mod ever, the features should definitely be implemented in the next KSP version.

• 3 weeks later...

Well there have been a lot of thoughts over the years in this thread. Some ideas are controversial and the tips are contradicting - but this is because you can achieve results in different ways. 

Should you be a beginner and you come across to this post, this is my primary suggestion: 

• Start an easy career game - do not play sandbox. The number of parts can be quiet overwhelming especially if you do not yet know a lot about rocket engineering, thrust, engine ISP and orbital mechanics
  • There are some great youtube channels - especially the one from Scott Manley - that can help you getting into the physics
  • Don't clutter your GameData directory with too many mods in the beginning - that would mean even more parts that you do not really understand.

You can of course play without it but I'd suggest to use Kerbal Engineer or MechJeb to get relevant data for construction and flight 

On the fiercly discussed topic of MechJeb. My take is: If you see yourself as 'Pilot' try to become a good pilot and stick to KER for information. If you are more a Mission Designer and Flight Director - use MechJeb - because you have pilots in your craft and they know how to fly. 

As I personally prefer to play as 'Flight Director' I personally use MechJeb - primarily for Orbital Maneuver Planning. I do know how the mechanics work and how the nodes are setup manually, but it is a lot easier to click "Hohmann Transfer to Target" and get the node, than moving the node around trying to find out if you have to advance it three or four orbits. 

But as said by the players who are against MechJeb. If you use it exclusively and extensively - you will not learn things you can learn. MechJeb is - at least that is my personal opinion - great to see how things should work (then you take over and do it yourself) - and later when you played hours and hours, you can use it to automate repetitive tasks.  

Edited by EricPoehlsen
typo

if you try to play on a mac, when they say you need 4GB of ram, they mean you need 8GB of ram

if you try to play on a console... price up a PC to game on and wait until you can afford it, you'll still have problems, but there will be a leopard in hells chance of them eventually being fixed.

Plus it appears to be roughly the same price, and you can game while the domestic authorities are watching programmes that make you want to claw your eyes out.

In game:

1. learn to dock, its not actually that hard but its more of a knack than a skill, you practice a bit and it clicks.

2. don't overly worry about DV, until you're very good (I'm not) its easier to take more than you need and cope with the extra mass - you can refine later

3. career mode, on "hard" mode will teach you the game a lot faster than sandbox will

A little trick I have is when I'm testing some rocket, wanting to take it well up into space and try a few things out, when I have rolled it out to the launchpad but before I launch, I hit ALT F5, saving it as a named quicksave.  This means I can then use regular F5 during the test flight, which would mean I would lose the Revert option if I then hit F9, as often as I like, knowing when I'm finished with the test flight, I can reload the named quicksave.  It saves cash which I would have to spend if I didn't do this. 

Edited by The Flying Kerbal

• 3 weeks later...

The most important thing I think I learned playing KSP was that I wanted to be Wernher von Kerman, a passion I'm still pursuing through college.

That said, there's a list of gameplay related things I learned that are really important (to me)

1. Do it yourself. There's a lot of importance to that, the sense of accomplishment the first time you orbit, the first time you dock, the first time you land on the Mun, it's truly incredible.

2. That said, MechJeb is a beautiful thing. For planning interplanetary transfers or maximizing efficiency MechJeb is indispensable for me. Kerbal isn't about the dozen launches of the same booster with slightly different payloads to build an interplanetary vessel, it's about the vessel, and the wonderment when you take that monstrosity to Duna and beyond. That's where MechJeb comes in for me.

3. The community for KSP might be the best gaming community I've ever had the pleasure to immerse myself in. The range of tutorials, spacecraft, and stupid inventions never ceases to amaze me. The best part, though, is the modders. Kerbal wouldn't be the same without its mods. The base game is incredible (worth the 20 dollars I sunk into it a million times over) but the addition of everything from life support to future stuff to 7.5m parts to entirely new solar systems and realism overhauls make it something truly special.

4. The little things count:

a. Check your staging. You will blow yourself up on launch. (or worse, hours later)

b. Remember your Re-Entry kit (retro-boosters, heat shields, parachutes, etc.). Every. Time. I've killed Jebediah enough times to learn this lesson.

c. Electricity is always important even when you don't think it will be. You will not have enough, ever.

5. Have fun! KSP is only as hard as you make it, so blow some stuff up on the launchpad. 

• 2 weeks later...

(What a great topic!  I am going to comb through this...)

1. Shift-translate-gizmo to attach things and drag them further away has changed my life [SPH].
  2. Octagonal struts to make connection points!
  3. Shift-left-click to clone a part appears to neutralize the symmetry on the clone[*]

* just discovered.  If this is true, it's revolutionary.  You can put things on a part in 6-way symmetry [ABBBBBB], clone-replace it and then take some of the attached parts off [ABB-BB-].  Or you can add heterogeneous parts  to e.g. 6-way connection points one at a time!

PS4 Enhanced Edition.

1. Do the tutorial

2. Fly a few Stock builds

3. Include parachutes

4. When you get to Orbit for the first few times, keep some fuel handy... so you can get home.

5. Check Yo Staging.

6. Docking is really, really hard to do, until you get good at it.

7. Have a look at some other Kerbals designs, try to make them, or make them better.

8. You will lose many Kerbals, it's OK.

9. Fly Casual, and have fun making explosions.

10. Take a screen shot of your first Build that makes it to space.

11. If you can't drive a stick shift, drive an automatic.