Which space game are you most excited about?

Monkeh

So I'm trying to decide if I should back Star Citizen or get on board with the new Elite: Dangerous. They both look kind of cool. Star Citizen appears to have a slight pay to win aspect to it, which is a massive shame and Elite looks a little, ermm, maybe a little dull.

Which has your interest or is there another thing I need to know about in the space exploration genre?

Please offer opinions to help me decide who should be given some of my hard earned monies, thank you.

For the two you suggested, I'd go for Elite, just because it'll likely be much more fun in the long term. Star Citizen will likely die off pretty quick with the way it has it's f2p set up. Another title you may want to look at is "No Man's Sky." It won't be out for a little while yet, but when it is, it should be wonderful. If you're ok with something a little more surface-bound, you might want to look at Maia. It's based on a blend of 70's/80's science fiction, and Dwarf Fortress style management. It's only in Alpha right now, but it's going in a very positive direction.

Yeah, I got Maia a while ago. Little bit disappointed in it's bare-bones-Imma-gonna-crash-all-the-time-and-you-can't-even-save-yet gameplay, but it does look like it will be a fun little title at some point in the future. These EA games have become a fascination for me, first Starforge Alpha, then KSP, next Interstellar Marines, then Maia. It's so interesting watching them develop into full games.

I'll have a look at 'No Man's Sky' as well, the more choice the merrier in my eyes.

Star citizen is not F2p. Right know it's donate money via a pledge package and get whatever was in the package as a reward for supporting the development. Once the game is released (or maybe even in beta) pledge packages go away you buy it like you would any other game pay once and get access to the persistent universe and the squadron 42 campaign.

Now they both look like great games and it's a great time to be a space sim fan. My recommendation is to go ahead and get elite for now and play that till your burned out from it since elite is on track for release this year. SC has at least another year of development so you could also get the most basic pledge package or wait till SC is out.

Moral of the story go out and do some more research. Go ahead and ask questions on each games forums both communities are nice and will be willing to answer any questions you have.

/end rant.

Space Engineers is a good game if your looking for a game closer to ksp than starmade

Planetary Annihilation looks like it will be good, considering their going to add galactic wars later on.

Scrumbleship, though in early development has loads of promise, and looks like it will be the true combination of minecraft and Ksp.

Elite Dangerous is going to be superb, Star Citizen I am not sure about, I liked Wing Commander but not Privateer. The scripting/hand creation of story and planets etc works well with a flight sim storyline but not so well with a exploration/trading type game. So I might get Star Citizen at some point, but Ive already bought Elite Dangerous. Frontier Elite II was one of my favourite games of all time so I am really looking forward to the new Elite game, in fact I have been waiting for Elite IV for about 15 years. Its going to blow everything else away.

But at the moment I am playing Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager early access version and its good fun. I like the historical missions, but it still needs some polishing and gameplay variation incorporated to enabel players to get over critical failures by rushing later programs and the like, at the moment if you get a critical failure it pretty much scuppers your chances of a moon landing on time although you are given till 1974 so thats not too bad.

Just done some digging on Space Citizen and that is looking a bit special to me. Going to be keeping a very close eye on that one I think. Their forums proved helpful, and incredibly slick. Here, have a look: http://robertsspaceindustries.com Impressive.

Played the original Elite to death back in the ancient past so I think some research required on that one next. Impressions may well follow here.

Well, we seem to have already covered Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous, both of which I've funded and both of which I'm excited about. There is No Man's Sky, but all I know of it is a pretty video and a website with naught but a gif and a title. Still, it looks interesting.

There's also Limit Theory, which seems to be shaping up quite nicely from the videos I've seen on YouTube; keep an eye on that one too, folks.

T'is indeed a good time to be a space sim fan :)

Right know it's donate money via a pledge package and get whatever was in the package as a reward for supporting the development. Once the game is released (or maybe even in beta) pledge packages go away you buy it like you would any other game...
Your reward for being an early supporter is having to pay for it twice???

Nah, you have to buy the game whatever, lowest entry cost is thirty bucks. For that you get a basic ship and a basic hanger and a few fake bucks to spend on upgrades and some insurance. But then you're in. The thirty and thirty five buck packages don't include the alpha and beta though.

The money earned in game is used to buy upgrades for your ship and hanger, crew and maintenance and upkeep and what not. Crew can be NPC or friends. You can buy in game money for real money but that wont effect gameplay too much apparently. Balancing and all that jazz.

The 'Game packages' come in all shapes and sizes, from single ship packages that are priced from thirty to two hundred for a 'constellation' class ship and hanger to match.

If you have a lot of money, you can buy yourself a fleet straight off the bat. The Multi ship packages, go from nine hundred to twelve thousand bucks. That's why I've been typing the numbers. Twelve thousand. That package has sold out. People have paid twelve thousand bucks to play this game.

Should I have put that bit in bold? Wow.

Edited by Monkeh

Im getting tired of space games.

KSP took my intrest as it was different.

Would love to see a 4X game that starts at the very beguining of a space program like KSP, has the scope of space engine and awesome 4X features of the X3 games.

But alas they all seem to be set a million years in the future with flashy lazer lights and annoying MMORPG elements ect.

• 4 weeks later...

So it appears Star Citizen has got passed 39 million dollars in crowd funding. A smashed record that shows no sign of stopping soon. It has nearly 400,000 people signed up to play, to Elite's 40 odd thousand and has 'R+D into procedurally generated content', on it's stretch goal list, a cool million put aside once they reach 41 million.

Star Citizen is either going to be the best game ever made or an utterly over complicated mess, but it's damn exciting to be part of.

Will need a new PC though. Been needing a reason to upgrade for a year or two anyway. :D

It has certainly promised a lot and I totally understand not wanting to part with hard earned cash before any kind of product is available but I will mention a couple of things.

I've done a lot of reading and video watching on the subject of Star Citizen and I've managed to find answers to most of my questions. If anyone wants to ask anything about it and doesn't want to brave the rather harsh SC forums, feel free to ask here, I'll do my best to answer whatever I can.

Last point for now is that you can buy in now for 24 euros, 32 to get alpha access, never spending another penny ever again, and play the game when it's released with no handicap.

Every ship, weapon and upgrade will be available for in game money you get simply from playing.

It will cost at least twice that once it's released and you won't get a ship to start with either.

Edited by Monkeh

• 1 month later...

So Star Citizen had it's dog fighting reveal at the weekend and by gosh does it look like it's going to be pretty damn awesome.

Here's a video of Arena Commander, (as the Dog Fighting Module is now called), being played at PAX East...it looks amazing.

Less than a thousand alpha slots left.

Game, alpha and beta access for 32 Euros or 40 dollars.

Spend 8 grand if you want to!

Can't wait for this, gonna be amazing.

Edited by Monkeh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.