Tweakable RCS

I would like to see the ability to tweak RCS for "Rotation" and "translation" just like how you can tweak control surfaces for yaw roll and pitch. Also, just how engines can have a set maximum percentage of thrust, we should do that for rcs as well.

This is helpful with spacecraft that have a high rotational inertia in one plane, but very little rotational inertia in another plane. One axis tends to be overly sensitive. (think of a long rocket: easy to spin, but hard harder to point the nose.

Actually, I was surprised when this was not included in the tweakables update.

-Cheers!

id like them to work the way control surfaces do, where we can restrict their use to particular axes (both tanslation and rotation), and kinda work like engines where we can tweak their thrust levels too.

Yes! I hate to have to keep turning it on and off for every positioning fix.

This would also save a lot of RCS, requiring smaller tanks and leaving room for extra payload.

I also suggest smaller 2.5m RCS tanks, the current 2.5m ones are overkill for most craft, even if big enough to fit it.

If I'm understanding you correctly, then why not just use the linear RCS ports for this? Bind them to an action key so you can turn them on and off separately from your translation thrusters. At least I think they can be used that way. I've never tried it.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/w/images/b/bb/Rcslinear.jpg

It's because i want to be abble to move the ship forward, backward and translate it using the RCS, but not rotate.

There is no RCS placement where it would do that by itself, any RCS out of the COM will assist on the rotation of the ship.

If I'm understanding you correctly, then why not just use the linear RCS ports for this? Bind them to an action key so you can turn them on and off separately from your translation thrusters. At least I think they can be used that way. I've never tried it.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/w/images/b/bb/Rcslinear.jpg

because then you have to get is set up perfectly and spend hours balancing the ship plus you have to remember what your rcs is set to, when if this idea was added you could acheive the same effect in 5 seconds and a few clicks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.