[discontinued] Minimum Ambient Lighting v1.2.4

Red3Tango

Zomg teh clone! Another version of a similar plugin is now available.

Nope, after looking at both, this one seems to raise the low end I.e. make the darker scenes lighter. The other just raises the light level at all levels. Thiz one seems much better thought out. Kudos

Thanks for this mod! Ever since the lighting "fix" back in .17-.18 I've wanted some kind of "night vision" mode for when I'm recording my LP.. I totally get why it really *should* be dark when not in line of sight of the sun but such levels of darkness make for videos where people can't see what's going on at all... especially when combined with Youtube's long standing tendency to always make videos darker when they process 'em.

This mod just made my list of "Must have mods"

The only reason I'm not installing this mod is I'm worried how it might affect the resource collection in KSPI. Please tell me the resources will be untouched. I'll grab the mod the moment that's confirmed.

How would this conflict with resources...?

Not sure how this would effect any kind of resource collection, this is an EXTREMELY simple codebase/plugin.

At the end of the update (right before it draws the frame) then modifies the ambient lighting based on a ratio if it is below the threshold.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Any chance of adding this to CKAN :)

When I get a chance I will look into this, may not be a high priority as the code hasn't chanced since created ;)

This should work with Planetshine since it's just a raise of the minimum light level and not a change in type of light but I'm asking anyway.

Does it work with it?

I have not used Planetshine yet, so unaware how the lighting is calculated. But you are correct that Minimum Ambient Lighting only affects the brightness when its below a certain threshold.

• 3 months later...

Thank you marc40k! I really do appreciate the support!

So the latest version has now been uploaded to Kerbal Stuff, and in the works of getting it on CKAN as well (if I did it correctly that is)

=UPDATE=

Mod is now available on CKAN!

Edited by Red3Tango

I know this is not a very used mod, but is something I use.

I think this is very useful mod and for me has replaced my previous go-to mod Ambient Light Adjustment due to its continued dependency on blizzys toolbar which I no longer use since stock toolbar was introduced. Thanks :)

@maxrsp, I have been thinking of the idea to include support for the stock (maybe blizzys) toolbar in a later release. Is this something that you would find helpful/useful?

Would be to add a simple UI that allows you to change the value in real-time, and have that save to the config file. It would also have options to select which scenes it (the toolbar button) would show up in (to limit clutter in the toolbar).

Agreed, a toolbar interface to change settings would be great! :) Please do the stock toolbar first if you have limited time because although I know alot of people still use (and prefer) blizzys, everyone has the stock toolbar and I'm personally trying to stick with having just one toolbar in KSP... :confused:

v1.1 Released!

[Added] - Stock Toolbar integration and in-game UI

[Changed] - Folder Structure *remove existing install before upgrading*

There you go @maxrsp, let me know how that works!

Also for anyone that doesn't like the toolbar icon, you can hide it from the Flight scene, or disable the icon completely using the config file.

Edited by Red3Tango

This is an interesting mod. In real life, the Moon bounces photons off its surface and they hit Earth, providing a tiny bit of light. It always annoyed me that vessels were pitch back when not in line of sight of the sun. I have a few questions though. Does the mod alter lighting during the day(exposure from sun) as well? Or just the night. Also, it would be great if you could do the same thing during eclipses, that way even though the light side is exposed to the sun, it's still dimmed because of an eclipsing planet.

Indeed, and in real life the moon, the Earth, and all bodies are also emitting their own charge. Charge is photons. It's why the moon and, say, Enceladus, are so far over albedo in their "reflections". And also why Uranus' atmosphere is so intensely hot (1900F). But the charge field is so small in comparison to gravity at the macro level, we won't see it in games or most physics really, even though it answers many such questions and solved all kinds of problems with the various standard models. I'd love to incorporate the charge field into KSP, but then the planets, moons, and their orbits would all have to change to make physical sense. As it stands, they're just placed arbitrarily and have no physics balance between each other. It's still a rad game, best of its kind ever! ;)

There you go @maxrsp, let me know how that works!

Beauty! I have been running with it for about an hour, changing settings 6-7 times, and everything seems to be working as advertised :)

• 4 weeks later...

*facepalm* sorry about that, I linked the wrong file :(

Download (I also updated my last post)

The problems I've been having with the scm software is ram usage spikes, causing other programs on my server to crash. So I may go with github and have the repository hosted there (instead of doing it myself)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...