[discontinued] Minimum Ambient Lighting v1.2.4

Red3Tango

On 2/19/2016 at 10:31 AM, Stone Blue said:

So anyone test this with 1.0.5 yet?

Also, @Red3Tango , any chance of this getting rehosted on KerbalStuff's replacement site, Spacedock.info?

Yes it is compatible with 1.0.5, excluding the UI it is theoretically compatible with any further versions as well.

I will get it on SpaceDock Soon™.

On 3/4/2016 at 7:09 AM, pleonasm said:

I second this. It seems the links in the OP to the "mirror" of this don't work anymore either... I actually can't download this at the moment ;.;

Sorry that was my fault, updated the link to the correct filename now.

@Red3TangoIt's on spacedock already.

By the way, is this compatible with the other ambient lighting mod? I'm considering switching, and currently have both installed in the interim, but, well... your's doesn't seem to be doing anything, and I'm wondering if the other one is over riding it. Either that or maybe your's requires a scene change to take effect? Does it only work in the flight scene? It's really not a big deal if they're incompatible (it would kind of make sense if they weren't...there can only be one!:D), just more convenient testing. To be clear, I would prefer your's, as the other one, while it does exactly what it says on the tin, does desaturate the colors and also seems to brighten the VAB (where you have no access to the button and can't turn it down incidentally, hah). But currently...no workie workie.

Also, I know that a certain individual up above was very insistent on supporting the stock toolbar over blizzy's toolbar. The problem is, every mod throws a button the stock toolbar, and now I have two dozen, and even with the button hiding mod, well, you get the idea. #blizzyBestToolBar

I would vote do the standard "if it's not on one, it's on the other" approach, if you're taking votes.

Cheers.

@Deimos Rast I am not sure if it is compatible with the other ambient lighting mod, as I believe it is adjusting the same game code. Mine should effect the Space Center (but not dynamically due to code execution of KSP). It does not run in VAB or SPH, so only in the Flight Scene does it dynamically adjust in real time.

As for adding it to Blizzy's Toolbar, I don't know how long before (or if) I will get around to that. That is the reason I added the option to remove the button, but yes, that does mean you wont be able to adjust it on the fly. It has always been designed as a more "set it and forget it" type of mod. I don't currently have a dev-build system at the moment, but I will look into adding that option either way.

2 hours ago, Red3Tango said:

@Deimos Rast I am not sure if it is compatible with the other ambient lighting mod, as I believe it is adjusting the same game code. Mine should effect the Space Center (but not dynamically due to code execution of KSP). It does not run in VAB or SPH, so only in the Flight Scene does it dynamically adjust in real time.

As for adding it to Blizzy's Toolbar, I don't know how long before (or if) I will get around to that. That is the reason I added the option to remove the button, but yes, that does mean you wont be able to adjust it on the fly. It has always been designed as a more "set it and forget it" type of mod. I don't currently have a dev-build system at the moment, but I will look into adding that option either way.

oh, no worries, figured I'd just put in the suggestion.

I uninstalled the other mod, and your mod now works fine. No real surprise there. But actually, it does work dynamically in the Space center. Well, by dynamically I mean if I drag the slider higher it raises the ambient light level with it in real time, and vice versa. All is well.:)

Cheers.

Edited by Deimos Rast

Just tested with 1.1 prerelease... sad news, it is not compatible ;.;

I will try and get a rebuilt/recoded version out as quickly as I can!

UPDATE

I released a quick "hotfix" that removes the UI, but allows it to work still using the config.xml file.

Edited by Red3Tango
KSP 1.1 Hotfix

• 1 month later...

@MisterFister It is basically written "on the tin". My mod "Minimum Ambient Lighting" does just that, allows you to set the minimum ambient light level. Ambient Light Adjustment, adjusts the ambient light intensity (regardless of existing ambience).

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2016 at 8:29 PM, Red3Tango said:

Version 1.2.3 is out for KSP 1.2!

You can download on SpaceDock

Thanks, This mod makes my screenshots so much prettier!

My eyes adjust easily to the dark light levels, but the low brightness decreases color fidelity and makes the screen-shots hard to see for other people.

• 2 months later...

@Red3Tango , I think there's something not right with the latest version. Slider does work, but after time warping or switching scenes, the default minimum ambient light overrides that setting (even though slider stays in place). I can provide logs or whatever you need, just tell me.

@aluc24 if you could please let me know if (and how) you are able to reproduce, and what steps. I have tried to reproduce with 32 and 64-bit of KSP 1.2.2, but have not been able to. If you could let me know what versions you are using, and what other mods, it may be a conflict with one of your other mods.

My testing was done on KSP 1.2.2 (32/64-bit) with a fresh install (meaning only the Minimum Ambient Lighting mod), and also with this mod-list http://red3tango.crimsonskygaming.net/ksp.mods/.

2 minutes ago, Red3Tango said:

@aluc24 if you could please let me know if (and how) you are able to reproduce, and what steps. I have tried to reproduce with 32 and 64-bit of KSP 1.2.2, but have not been able to. If you could let me know what versions you are using, and what other mods, it may be a conflict with one of your other mods.

My testing was done on KSP 1.2.2 (32/64-bit) with a fresh install (meaning only the Minimum Ambient Lighting mod), and also with this mod-list http://red3tango.crimsonskygaming.net/ksp.mods/.

Sure. I am running KSP 1.2.2.1662, 64-bit. My mod list:

Spoiler

000_AT_Utils
000_Toolbar
B9PartSwitch
BetterBurnTime
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConfigurableContainers
ContractConfigurator
ContractPacks
DeployableEngines
Diazo
DMagicOrbitalScience
DMagicUtilities
FinalFrontier.dat
Firespitter
InterstellarFuelSwitch
KAS
KerbalConstructionTime
KerbalEngineer
KIS
KRASH
MagiCore.dll
MarkIVSystem
MechJeb2
MemGraph
MinAmbience
ModuleManager.2.7.5.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
NavBallAdjustor
NavyFish
NearFutureProps
Nereid
PersistentRotation
Pilot Assistant
PlanetaryBaseInc
PlanetShine
PreciseManeuver
RCSBuildAid
SCANsat
SETIcontracts
SETIgreenhouse
SETIprobeParts
SETIrebalance
SETIrebalanceMaterialsGoo
SETIrebalanceReactionWheels
Squad
TakeCommand
TextureReplacer
ThrottleControlledAvionics
ThunderAerospace
ToadicusTools
toolbar-settings.dat
Trajectories
TriggerTech
TweakableEverything
TweakScale
UnmannedBeforeManned
WarpPlugin
WaypointManager
WheelSounds
[x] Science!

Steps to reproduce: in KSC, click Minimum Ambient Lightning button, slide the slider all the way left. Click MAL button again to close the slider window. Enter VAB. Exit VAB. Warp to night and see that ambient lightning levels have reset to default. If I open MAL window again, the slider is where I left it, but the lightning levels are not.

It is likely a mod conflict, but I can see nothing on my list that would indicate any potential conflict.

Let me know if you need any further info. Hope it helps.

@aluc24 Ok so you have found an "intended" bug that was addressed when I first made the mod. The Space Center ambient light is handled completely different from the Flight Scene. In KSP there is no dynamic ambient lighting at the Space Center so if you reduce the slider below the games default (about 6%) it will mess up at the KSC. The reason why this is "intended" is because without the work-around the ambient light at the KSC could be increased, but once you do, the slider would not decrease the lighting.

I will look into it some more, and see if I can find another work-around for the ambient lighting at the KSC.

9 minutes ago, Red3Tango said:

@aluc24 Ok so you have found an "intended" bug that was addressed when I first made the mod. The Space Center ambient light is handled completely different from the Flight Scene. In KSP there is no dynamic ambient lighting at the Space Center so if you reduce the slider below the games default (about 6%) it will mess up at the KSC. The reason why this is "intended" is because without the work-around the ambient light at the KSC could be increased, but once you do, the slider would not decrease the lighting.

I will look into it some more, and see if I can find another work-around for the ambient lighting at the KSC.

I see... But, um, the minimum value is still way too bright in-flight... Here's a screenshot:

light.jpgхостинг картинок бесплатный

@aluc24 This again is normal, you may have this mod (MAL) confused with Ambient Light Adjustment (ALA). This mod changes the "range" of the in-game ambient lighting. ALA will just "adjust" your ambient light, much like adjusting Gamma on your monitor. The best way I can explain the differences is, ALA will +/- a value to the games internal ambient light, which in Flight Scene is dynamic based on lighting in the area, runway lights, pad lights, buildings, sun, moon, etc. This is why if you increase the ambient light with ALA it will "wash out" the color when its supposed to be bright out, like when you are on the day side. MAL does NOT adjust or change the in-game ambient light, it changes the "range" of it by increasing or decreasing the minimum value. So it will only raise the ambient light, if the in-game ambient is below the slider setting.

ALA = Game_Ambient (6% - 100%) +/- Value
MAL = Game_Ambient (Value(6%) - 100%)
This is why ALA will wash out colors when its supposed to be bright as it can go over 100%.
The 6% is the lowest ambient light level that will be set by KSP. So MAL does not "lower" the ambient light, just says how low it can possibly be. IIRC the ambient light at the stock KSC is about 12%, as this is not below the sliders 0% it will not have any effect.

O3Be3R5.png

So what you are describing (or what I am understanding) it the intended feature of this mod, however, the quirkiness at the KSC (Space Center) Screen, is due to how KSP handles the ambient light there. Hopefully I have explained this well enough, if not, please ask any questions.

@aluc24 This again is normal, you may have this mod (MAL) confused with Ambient Light Adjustment (ALA). This mod changes the "range" of the in-game ambient lighting. ALA will just "adjust" your ambient light, much like adjusting Gamma on your monitor. The best way I can explain the differences is, ALA will +/- a value to the games internal ambient light, which in Flight Scene is dynamic based on lighting in the area, runway lights, pad lights, buildings, sun, moon, etc. This is why if you increase the ambient light with ALA it will "wash out" the color when its supposed to be bright out, like when you are on the day side. MAL does NOT adjust or change the in-game ambient light, it changes the "range" of it by increasing or decreasing the minimum value. So it will only raise the ambient light, if the in-game ambient is below the slider setting.

ALA = Game_Ambient (6% - 100%) +/- Value
MAL = Game_Ambient (Value(6%) - 100%)
This is why ALA will wash out colors when its supposed to be bright as it can go over 100%.
The 6% is the lowest ambient light level that will be set by KSP. So MAL does not "lower" the ambient light, just says how low it can possibly be. IIRC the ambient light at the stock KSC is about 12%, as this is not below the sliders 0% it will not have any effect.

O3Be3R5.png

So what you are describing (or what I am understanding) it the intended feature of this mod, however, the quirkiness at the KSC (Space Center) Screen, is due to how KSP handles the ambient light there. Hopefully I have explained this well enough, if not, please ask any questions.

Thank you for the explanation. So you're saying there is no way to make nights darker without making days darker too?

@aluc24 Correct, to make it darker than the game sets it, you would have to use Ambient Light Adjustment, but yes this would also make the days darker too.

I see. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to me. Hope it all goes well with your addon developments!

• 5 months later...

Minimum Ambient Lighting v1.2.3 seems to be working fine on KSP 1.3 and it's definetely more handy than stock settings menu slider. :)

Also I've noticed, that stock slider overrides the mod's one, so you probably want to set stock Ambient Light Boost slider to -100%

Edited by ZobrAA

On 6/9/2017 at 2:43 AM, ZobrAA said:

Minimum Ambient Lighting v1.2.3 seems to be working fine on KSP 1.3 and it's definetely more handy than stock settings menu slider. :)

Also I've noticed, that stock slider overrides the mod's one, so you probably want to set stock Ambient Light Boost slider to -100%

I will look into this and see if there is anything that can be done about this. It seems that the stock Ambient Light Boost slider is essentially what "Ambient Light Adjustment" did, it raises/lowers the overall ambient light of the game. This setting effects everything (much like a Gamma correction slider), where this mod does NOT adjust the overall ambient, just the minimum value it should be, hence the name.

But I do see where this mod doesn't play well with the stock slider at times. So with its current state, the mod should be used the same way if you had "Ambient Light Adjustment" mod installed as well.

• 9 months later...