Mod bundler for "Real Solar System" (DEFUNCT)

jamis

I just wanted to jump in again and mention a couple things. When I updated to the latest version of this mod, I ran into the "java not recognised" issue again. I put it off for a few days but I did find a workaround.

First I went to Java test page located at http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Ran the test and selected "Always allow" from the browser popup. (The first time, I only set it to run once). Ever since I set it to always, the test runs properly every time.

I then appended ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin; (to make sure both JRE versions were added) to the Windows PATH variable. For those reading, please keep in mind that those variable Paths are for users running 64bit Windows 7. 32bit users might not get this error and won't need the workaround but I can't currently confirm that. 32bit users may need to add the full version path thusly (C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\bin;) for example, without the parentheses and corresponding to your specific version of Java.

Here's a quick guide for those running into Java troubles.

You will use the Java compiler javac to compile your Java programs and the Java interpreter java to run them. You should skip the first step if Java is already installed on your machine.

• Download and install the latest version of the the Java Platform. Note the installation directory for laterâ€â€probably something like C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\bin.
  • To make sure that Windows can find the Java compiler and interpreter:
    • Select Start -> Computer -> System Properties -> Advanced system settings -> Environment Variables -> System variables -> PATH.
      [ In Vista, select Start -> My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> System variables -> PATH. ]
      [ In Windows XP/7, Select Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> System variables -> PATH. ]
    • Prepend C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\bin; to the beginning of the PATH variable.

Click OK three times.

For me, the path directory was a little different, so be sure to check your own directory names carefully. (\Program Files (x86) for example)

Next, you will want to see if your changes work so do the following:

You will type commands in an application called the Command Prompt.

• Launch the command prompt via All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. (If you already had a command prompt window open, close it and launch a new one.) You should see the command prompt; it will look something like:Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600] (or whatever)
  • Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

To check that you have the right version of Java installed, type the text below. You should see something similar to the information printed below. (It's important that you see the number 1.7, 1.6 or 1.5 for the Java version number, but the rest is not critical.)

C:\Users\username>java -version

java version "1.7.0_51"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13)

Java HotSpot Client VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

If you see a Java version come up on screen then the .bat file will work properly.

So to summarise, add the PATH variable to your existing variable in the Environment variables path, check the version in a new command window, if the version shows, eat cake. Enjoy.

Edited by Phenom Anon X

I just wanted to jump in again and mention a couple things. When I updated to the latest version of this mod, I ran into the "java not recognised" issue again. I put it off for a few days but I did find a workaround.

-snip-

I can confirm that this solved the issue for me. Thanks!

Ran into a new issue:

After realising I didn't want the RealFuels mod, I removed it from my Gamedata map. That caused the load creen to get stuck at when trying to load "AIES_aerospace/Engine/AIESconstelacion/part/LiquidengineConstelacion".

I then tried to remove the AIES engine map, to trace my problem, but then my load screen got stuck at the engine map for FASA.

I decided to redownload and rebuild a .rar file, without the RealFuels mod, installed it, and started it up. But that changed nothing, the load screen is still stuck at AIES constelacion engine.

Note when I ran the .bat file again, instead of downloading all the mods again, it found them in my computer and unpacked them again. Could this have anything to do with my problem?

Thanks in advance.

@nubcaker, redownloading the mods shouldn't change anything (unless you somehow got a corrupted version the first time, but if that were the case, you would have noticed it long before you deleted RealFuels).

I know I've used this bundler with a bundle that didn't include RealFuels, and it was fine. What other mods do you have installed? As far as I know, RealFuels itself doesn't depend on any mods, and the only things the bundler does specially are to tweak the Kethane mod a bit if you install it alongside RealFuels. Even then, though, it shouldn't be a breaking change.

Perhaps try deleting all the folders in the GameData directory (except for Squad, of course), and reinstalling the archive file?

@tmikesecrist3, often, yes. This is only because for some mods, the authors delete the old versions when they upload the new versions, which breaks the download links in the bundler manifest.

I try to review the manifest every 24-48 hours, though, so hopefully you'd never need to wait long. I just looked over them all again, just now, and they all seem up-to-date.

Were you asking hypothetically, or have you run into a mod that doesn't want to download? If you (or anyone) ever runs into a mod that isn't downloading, or (especially) one that was updated which I haven't caught yet, please post a note in this thread and let me know. I'll update the manifests as quick as I can (often within a few hours, sometimes within a few minutes).

What version of FASA is it downloading? It should be 3.73. Note that the beta (3.81?) has a big ol' warning label on it, saying it is only for the very adventurous, so I won't be adding that to the manifest until it stabilizes. Also, there should be a few of the RO configs on there--the 10x kerbin, for instance. If you're not seeing those, it may be that you're using an older version of the bundler itself. I"ve got Real Solar System configs included, but I've not done much with RO configs. Can you point me at some that you'd like to see included? I'll see what it will take to bundle them.

You'll definitely want to make sure you're running the latest bundler, but aside from that, mod-updates will usually not require a bundler-update, since most things I can tweak in the manifest directly.

Edited by jamis
Corrected my misreading of the OP

that would be the one I am talking about, and think you for pointing out the worning,, might be why there is not a RO config for the updates, but I think Nathon might have some things going on in rl. but it would be nice of the config for the exporer 1 had been done... I kind of get a bet confused by the config files

@nubcaker, redownloading the mods shouldn't change anything (unless you somehow got a corrupted version the first time, but if that were the case, you would have noticed it long before you deleted RealFuels).

I know I've used this bundler with a bundle that didn't include RealFuels, and it was fine. What other mods do you have installed? As far as I know, RealFuels itself doesn't depend on any mods, and the only things the bundler does specially are to tweak the Kethane mod a bit if you install it alongside RealFuels. Even then, though, it shouldn't be a breaking change.

Perhaps try deleting all the folders in the GameData directory (except for Squad, of course), and reinstalling the archive file?

Deleted the GameData folder (minus Squad) and reinstalled the archive file (without RealFuels, Realism Overhaul and StretchyTanks because they seem to rely on eachother) still didn't work. The load screen freezes at the first engine part it loads.

I'm going to try to install it again without only RealFuels, though that didn't give any good results in the past. Very odd.

EDIT: Here's a list of all the mods I installed using the bundler.

Nf6DpwD.png

Edited by nubcaker

@nubcaker

So RSS and RO get a little complex with all the MM cfgs either stacking or overwriting stuff. I suspect that your problem has to do with the configs (i.e. rcs sounds doesn't work on realistic overhaul due to MM cfg issues that I haven't ever tried to tackle). I think that building a new .zip without the offending (mod pack)part is a good start to see if it's a cfg issue or perhaps something specific with the mod. Anytime we combine so many mods, unexpected stuff happens... not can happen, does. I would like to try and help with this issue if you still have it. PM or reply and I'm more than willing to help. You've provided a good stepping off point and I will be trying to recreate the problem on my own system.

@nubcaker, in addition to what the inimitable @usulrasolas suggested above (and which I 100% agree with), I notice you have a BoulderCo directory. Are you using the Active Texture Management mod, by any chance?

If so, you need to expect a very (very!) long wait after the first time you launch the app with that mod installed. On my machine, with a full install of RSS mods and Active Texture Management (aggressive), the loading screen will appear to hang for a good 5 to 10 minutes. If you wait it out, though, it picks up where it left off, finishes loading, and the game is playable. After that first time, it won't take nearly that long to load the next time.

Can you confirm that this might be the case for you?

@nubcaker

So RSS and RO get a little complex with all the MM cfgs either stacking or overwriting stuff. I suspect that your problem has to do with the configs (i.e. rcs sounds doesn't work on realistic overhaul due to MM cfg issues that I haven't ever tried to tackle). I think that building a new .zip without the offending (mod pack)part is a good start to see if it's a cfg issue or perhaps something specific with the mod. Anytime we combine so many mods, unexpected stuff happens... not can happen, does. I would like to try and help with this issue if you still have it. PM or reply and I'm more than willing to help. You've provided a good stepping off point and I will be trying to recreate the problem on my own system.

I'm still having the issue yes, I'll try building a new .zip file with considerably less mods, to see if it works then.

@nubcaker, in addition to what the inimitable @usulrasolas suggested above (and which I 100% agree with), I notice you have a BoulderCo directory. Are you using the Active Texture Management mod, by any chance?

If so, you need to expect a very (very!) long wait after the first time you launch the app with that mod installed. On my machine, with a full install of RSS mods and Active Texture Management (aggressive), the loading screen will appear to hang for a good 5 to 10 minutes. If you wait it out, though, it picks up where it left off, finishes loading, and the game is playable. After that first time, it won't take nearly that long to load the next time.

Can you confirm that this might be the case for you?

I don't think the Active Texture Management mod is the cause of the load screen freeze, as I've also used it with the RealFuels mod, and even though it took longer to load, it still worked. (And I've waited for a really long time)

By the way, thanks a bunch for the support you've given me so far. I'll update my progress in a moment.

EDIT: I can confirm that Active Texture Management isn't the cause because the load screen still freezes when I removed that mod.

Edited by nubcaker

I installed with a bundle for the first time yesterday, but the game consistently stopped loading when it got to the AIES RCS thrusters. I removed those parts, and then it started freezing when it got to the KW RCS parts. Any idea what's going on here? I had the RCS Sounds mod also added independently, but removing that didn't change it. I also have RCS build aid but I don't think that would effect this. I also tried downloading AIES and KW separately.

EDIT: just now looked back at nubcaker's issue - I'll try the stuff that has been recommended for him when I get home today.

Edited by curiousepic

@curiousepic, did you include the Active Texture Management mod in the bundle? If so, you'll want to wait a good long time (like, 5 minutes or more) during the first start-up, while it compresses textures. It'll make the loading screen appear to "hang". After the first time, loading time will be MUCH faster.

Let me know if you're not using that ATM mod, and I'll see if I can think of another suggestion...

Can you try removing the ATM mod and seeing if it works any better? The sheer number of mods that can wind up installed when using the bundler can make the texture manager work really hard (and long) on that first load. If removing it makes things work again, then I suspect it's just a matter of needing to wait longer.

FWIW, the "hang" when using ATM will appear to happen on seemingly random parts. I'm not sure why, but the part shown in the loading window does not seem to be significant.

Wups, I forgot to bundle a linux version of unrar! Sorry about that. I'll try and get that patched this evening. In the meantime, if you're using linux, you're probably savvy enough to replace the one I bundled with one you can use.

Can't rely on there being a system unrar, though, because 99% of KSP users are on Windows. *cries*

Hanging on RCS is a pretty sure sign you're using some mod that modifies RCS as well as Real Fuels. Check and make sure you don't have RCS Sounds or any other RCS-modifying mod, like, say, KerbCom Avionics. (RCS Build Aid is fine though.)

@curiousepic, NathanKell makes a good point. Can you post a list of the mods you're installing?

@Dhan, very odd! Do you get any warnings or errors if you go here in your browser: https://raw.github.com/jamis/KSP-RealSolarSystem-bundler/master/real-solar-system.manifest

If it works, you should see a bunch of text that starts with something like this:

---
bundle: Real Solar System
archive: rss.zip
version: 3
required:
- Real Solar System
recommended:
- Realism Overhaul
- Ferram Aerospace Research (FAR)
- Deadly Reentry Continued
- StretchySRB

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.