Science of the Spheres - development

NovaSilisko

for planned spontaneous disassembly of planet(oids) you might consider looking into the fracture script, it worked in ye olde unity 3 and somebody managed to convert it enough to get it to work in unity 4... It would need some extensive tweeking as it only fractures along already made vertices... or you would need to rely on your voxel creating enough vertices to work with... also requires a generic enough texture....

here is the original, demo : http://btm-site.webs.com/fracturetest.htm

the thread, if you look enough you will find the updated but not as good version : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/57994-Simple-Fracture-Script-v-1-01

there's a demo of a "deform test" that I'm not sure if there's a script for it.

edit : the script was orginally meant for for before unity 3.4 , people have only updated it to that version it appears (from the thread)

edit 2 : come on somebody plz keep it going !!!

Edited by Nemrav
keep it going !!!!

That little rover reminded me of Sojurner. Will we have rovers in the game with the ability to run over all the cute hoppers etc?

Hoppers generally stand as tall as a person, so the opposite is more likely.

Nova, will we be able to have a mission to terraform then build a base on a planet?

Terraforming will likely be possible. Bases can be jury-rigged with unmanned stuff til the mythic manned flight arrives, whenever that is.

Edited by NovaSilisko

xXaI4Zg.gif

An interesting thing is happening. It would appear that gravity is affecting light objects more strongly than heavy objects. Either Galileo was wrong, or the equation's been done incorrectly.

Despite gravity being a bit screwed at the moment, it's effective enough to demonstrate why approaching a naked gravity core is an extraordinarily bad idea:

RIP.gif

RIP2.gif

Edited by NovaSilisko

Can't really tell what the problem is, as I can bearly write code and I can't see it in the first place but...

I think its got to do with what your script is detecting, and rigidbody mass, maybe you made some things kinematic ?

The solar system/terrain looks close to being ready.

wut

Far from it. The solar systems are just generating one at a time, no galaxy/star generation to tie it together. Terrain is also separate from the planet generation right now, and still has to be done manually at the moment, it's not been set up to generate procedurally based on a provided seed.

Ok? The pics show that everything is coming along nicely. I saw a planet with an atmosphere in one.

Questions:

1. How many creatures are you planing on adding?

2. Can we pick up creatures with a robotic arm and send them on a sun dive?

3. Will there be intelligent life?

4. Will we be able to move planets through the gateway.?

5. if Q4 is yes, will we be able to buy/sell from them/ Kill their species?

6. What sort of ships will we have? eg probe, lander, rover.

Will this be for mac? Please!

they are using unity which automatically builds for pc and mac together, and it is possible to do linux builds.

that is unless they switch to ogre or panda 3d...

Ok? The pics show that everything is coming along nicely. I saw a planet with an atmosphere in one.

Questions:

1. How many creatures are you planing on adding?

2. Can we pick up creatures with a robotic arm and send them on a sun dive?

3. Will there be intelligent life?

4. Will we be able to move planets through the gateway.?

5. if Q4 is yes, will we be able to buy/sell from them/ Kill their species?

6. What sort of ships will we have? eg probe, lander, rover.

1. Unknown. It has to be a lot though, so you don't run into the same ones too often.

2. Sure. A net gun would work better than a robotic arm, though.

3. Evidence that there used to be intelligent life, but not an appearance by it.

4. No, planets are immobile and even at their small size much too big for that.

5. You might not be able to bring planets home but you can carve into them and load up your ship with whatever bounty they may hold.

6. Anything you like. Spacecraft are built from scratch.

Will this be for mac? Please!

Hopefully, yes. Linux too. The windows version would come first, though.

What stage is the development in?

When is the release date estimate?

Who and how many ppl are making the game?

Will Keplarian and Newtonian physics be included?

Do you need testers? If so I would be happy to help test the game, my PC can handle anything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.