Science of the Spheres - development

NovaSilisko

Why can we not give Rep in the space lounge? This is so, SO rep worthy!

EDIT:

Duuuude, this is so freaking cool! It's epic, it looks really good, and hell, I reckon you could probably give KSP a run for it's money if you keep up with this. Everything looks awesome, and even though it is hard to control, you can actually set up orbits, to a point. Also, I had no idea you could actually break individual parts of the probe. The first thing I did was just crash outright. Then I managed to land, and hover over to a hopper cube, and while trying to experiment with what effects a rocket engine exhaust would have on it, it jumped and knocked off the engine!

Just a couple of points: Major, major lag if you fall into the gas planet, and you can see a bit of glitchyness when you get closer to planets, as if the "render range" was moving to encompass the planet. That, and you might want to look into your gravity physics. I set up and orbit really low over the sun, which I dubbed Helios (Not at all a suggestion for a name... no... of course not... *shadily looks around*), but I kept on receiving a kick at PeriHe. I wasn't firing thrusters, and as far as I know the planets weren't in line with me, so I don't think N-body physics are coming into it at all. Also, you spawn upside down, at least compared to the overview mode. Also, I think a navball is needed. It would make things a thousand times easier, as it is so hard for me to get my bearings without it sometimes. Might just be me though.

Overall, for a first pre-pre-alpha, this is brilliant, and a lot of fun.

Edited by Deathsoul097

Great work nova, lots of fun. I played for about an hour an didn't see anything problems with the mac version.

Is there a way to get the screenshots?

Yeah its inside the app under resources. Right click it and click show app contents or something to get inside of it.

Huh, whats this Nova?

Edited by hotmailcompany52

I see you implemented a dual planet. It is awesome.

Just played the game on mac too, and it seemed to run very well. tons of fun to be had inside the gas giant

also, i claim the position of 3rd fan-art thingy :sticktongue:

http://i.imgur.com/YfkklYp.jpg?1

Well, I lose my reign on the original fanart. That is amazing.

How do hoppers work, from an (no doubt very simple) A.I. standpoint?

Edited by sal_vager

How do hoppers work, from an (no doubt very simple) A.I. standpoint?

What they do is, after a period of time, pick a random object in their vicinity to hop at. When they need to hop, a force is applied both towards the target and away from the center of the planet, and a sound is played. A max number of attempts is determined when the target is selected, and after that number is passed, the hopper gets bored and waits for a bit before selecting a new target and repeating the process.

Just played the game on mac too, and it seemed to run very well. tons of fun to be had inside the gas giant

also, i claim the position of 3rd fan-art thingy :sticktongue:

http://i.imgur.com/YfkklYp.jpg?1

<3

Tweeted that one, as well.

Everyone else: Thanks for the feedback and testing. Glad to see the linux and mac versions don't catch on fire, I updated the post on the blog to reflect this.

What they do is, after a period of time, pick a random object in their vicinity to hop at. When they need to hop, a force is applied both towards the target and away from the center of the planet, and a sound is played. A max number of attempts is determined when the target is selected, and after that number is passed, the hopper gets bored and waits for a bit before selecting a new target and repeating the process.

So what other objects are there? I haven't seen them intentionally hop towards another hopper. On a side note, the smallest ones are the most dangerous because they can knock off your engine bell when you are upright. Also, I wish it were possible to somehow get back upright after the lander topples.

On another note, I've noticed that the Gassy is bigger than the Star.

Let's name the system in order of proximity to the star.

The Star: Nova

The Asteroid: Silisko

The Comet: Nosi

The Dual Planet: Gemini

Green Planet: Smerbin

Smerbin's Moon: Smun

Gas Planet: Meander

Meander's Moon: Jeb

Crystal Planet: Faz

I wonder if you recognize Meander and Faz

Smerbin is a contraction of Smearth and Kerbin. Smearth from SimpleRockets is a 1/10th scale Earth, Kerbin is a 1/11th scale Earth. So if you combine them you get a very tiny planet. Can you guess what Smun is?

cQWZ6PI.jpg

So it's a fanart war then! MEoTS Manned Exploration of The Spheres! A Chat with NovaSilisko reveals that He'd like to do manned flight much later in the development.

Looks like the Kraken affects the Microverse as well. If you go far enough away from the star system, you will start jiggling and then pieces of your lander will wobble apart. Almost exactly the same as the KSP Kraken, except with distance instead of velocity. Of course early versions of KSP had this problem as well. Even though it was supposedly fixed by the first released version, I still noticed jiggling if you go up far enough.

what's the next big feature you're going to implement into Prototype 2?

Engine Exhaust should push around Hoppahs. I want to get a little hoppah into orbit. A fishing hook could be used to drag hoppahs to other locations.

Hopper sounds to much like this. I think they should be called Hoppahs, just to distinguish them.

How big is the Spacecraft in the Demo?

Edited by sal_vager

Fun little game you have here! My only complaint is the controls...i still can't figure them out, and my joystick is mapped to the weirdest keys on there, throttle controls timewarp as well as throttle, other things similar. Just a bit confusing. Other than that i love the game!

Fun little game you have here! My only complaint is the controls...i still can't figure them out, and my joystick is mapped to the weirdest keys on there, throttle controls timewarp as well as throttle, other things similar. Just a bit confusing. Other than that i love the game!

The default joystick controls were mapped on an xbox controller, that might be causing your problem. I actually forgot I had even made controller support in the first place, until now...

The default joystick controls were mapped on an xbox controller, that might be causing your problem. I actually forgot I had even made controller support in the first place, until now...

Even keyboard controls are confusing. Maybe its just me.

Even keyboard controls are confusing. Maybe its just me.

No, it's not just you. As far as I can tell, Roll control is reversed, and the overview is upside down. (Also nice to see your still dropping in the odd easter egg.)

Like the eye of sauron looking pencil tower on the tiny moho like planet close to the sun.

Edited by Deathsoul097

No, it's not just you. As far as I can tell, Roll control is reversed, and the overview is upside down. (Also nice to see your still dropping in the odd easter egg.)

Roll control is a tricky one. It looks fine from some camera angles in external view, but looks backwards from others. The intended perspective for the way the roll control is with the mast on the far side of the lander from you, with the camera looking slightly downward onto the ship. But, once you tilt it down enough, it starts looking wrong.

There's a strong possibility that the final game won't have a thirdperson camera (for the sake of immersion), and the cameras you place on the ship will allow you to configure the relative controls yourself if you so desire (instead of letting it automatically determine the direction)

He said Rouge SGCs would be Black Holes.

5th fanart goes to my little sister, henceforth referred to as Awsumatid. :D

m2o6WRE.jpg

The colors are kinda bad with this scanner. We tried to get it to work as best as we could.

I gave them personification!... except they are alive....
♫The Orange ****s are biting my spacecraft♪

Made by Me and Awsumatid.

Sir physicist

Or is it biologist

I jumped out into space again.

And you

Considered me

And now I'm where a hopper has to be

I want to thank you for putting me back on the planet

I want to thank you for putting me back on the planet

Was it something you would do for any creature?

Was it what you'd only do for me?

I need to know because you see

I want to thank you for putting me back on the planet!

Friend

Look what you gave

And how can you ever be repaid?

How may I give you a hand

From the position at your legs where I stand?

So let me thank you for putting me back on the planet

I'd like to thank you for putting me back on the planet!

I need to know because you see

Planet

Thank you

Planet

Thank you

Ah

Ah

Ah

Or was it something where you acted when you saw the need

And knew that there would be a way the act could be repaid

And so it may, but for today

Audio coming soonâ„¢

New Science of The Spheres subreddit! Because I know nothing of Subreddit creation, I ask that someone take this subreddit and make it a good subreddit that makes sense. It kinda doesn't make sense to keep talking about SoTS on the KSP Forums.

Has anyone rendezvoused with the comet yet?

Edited by sal_vager

Gregrox, can you consolidate some of your posts down to a singular post? You're filling up the thread a bit...

Also, I would prefer to make the SotS subreddit myself in the future. I don't feel there's any need for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.