[WIP] Through the Eyes of a Kerbal - 0.0.2c - 2/16/14 1st person EVA(Now toggleable!)

Chronothan

Small, realism focused, plugin that lets you to see the world through the eyes of a Kerbal. This makes EVA mode 1st person. Also gives you an option to force you IVA mode when you have a Kerbal in your vessel Intended to provide a seamless, total 1st person experience. Bring cameras!

If you are using the ForceIVA option, get:

RasterPropMonitor

and

VesselView .

Get the RPM version of VesselView and be able to select parts and their actions on the screen itself until I implement this myself

Simply unzip into the GameData directory

Download: 0.0.2c

DELETE OLD FOLDER BEFORE UPDATING.

Source is included in zip.

This is very much in development. Expect bugs and please report them where found. Science can't be done in 1st person on EVA as of yet but will be able to soon. For now, in forceIVA mode, vessel recovery will need to be done through the tracking station.

I have decided, based on the responses, that the main focus of this mod is the 1st person EVA. ForceIVA is now optional, and disabled by default. If you want to enable it, change 'forceIVA = false', to 'forceIVA = true' in the cfg.

Changelog:

[U]0.0.1: Initial Release[/U]

[U]0.0.1a - 1/31/2014: [/U]
-Added a config option for disabling mapview.
-I realized you could not review science data in IVA. Now you can press the 'backslash' key to bring up all your currently stored science. Config option to change key will be coming next.

[U]0.0.2 - 2/11/2014:[/U]
-Better name
-1st person EVA!! Config option to disable. Also a config option for the Kerbals suit to be visible, or for the Kerbal to be invisible 'floating camera', similar to Half-Life. Default is false.
-Can go EVA now using the whatever your 'Camera Mode' button is. Config option to change the default button. Set it to true to use the default, or change it to the key you want to use
-Config option for the review science key.
-Fixed bugs and other stuff.

[U]0.0.2a - 2/12/2014:[/U]
-Fixed some really bad bugs
-1st person will not be enforced before launch (Going EVA counts as launching)
-Added config option to disable forced IVA

[B][U]0.0.2b - 2/15/2014:[/U]
-Default toggleable first person EVA. Default button is the 'C' key, but you can change it to what you like in the config. To force first person, set 'forceEVA' in the cfg to true.

[B][U]0.0.2c - 2/16/2014:[/U]
-Refactored plugin. Nothing changed on user end but code is cleaner.
-Removed a second dll that found its way into the Source/ForceIVA/obj/debug folder. Recommend downloading update even if you aren't having issues.

[/B]

Currently working on:

-Replace the review data key with a toolbar-integrated GUI that lists all the actions of parts on your vessel/Kerbal and allows activation of them. No longer going to do this. Use RPM and VesselView as stated above. Well, maybe I will. VesselViews way of doing it is neat but a little cumbersome to use right now.

-Some kind of hud for activating EVA science while in first person.

-In-vessel recovery in forceIVA mode.

-1st person view in command seats.

Planned:

-Integration with ProbeControlRoom

-Make 1st person EVA control more 'FPS style'. (No 360° head movement)

-Lots of optimization and smoothing out transitions.

Thanks to all the people who have made their source codes available so that newbies like me can learn. Especially the Lazor system for giving me a starting point for the EVA code.

A crappy video I made:

Edited by Chronothan

I had just started a new save saying I would only play from cockpit view.

I guess this will just enforce that I don't cheat! :sticktongue:

Now if only I could find a first person mod for EVA, then I could truly become 1 with the kerbal.

I'll let you know how I get along.

You can still recover you craft through the tracking station.

If you use RPM then you can double click on the hatch to EVA.

Edit: Just tried the mod and it works great. A welcome addition would be first person EVA.

Edited by Albert VDS

seems that this mod must be used with MFD, or the game cannot go on. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66198

Yes this is intended to be used with the RPM plugin. The MFD addon will also help. Careful placement of cameras is essential to ensure solar panels are deployed and what not. I usually put at least one each stage to check seperation.

I also highly recommend the awesome Vessel View plugin: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66480-WIP-Vessel-View

This seems like a really good mod for a future warfare multiplayer server.

I think there must be an option to allow blocking map view or not, I wouldnt want to be forced to use another mod in order to make this one feasible.

I'll look into adding a config file for this option. Though it would be a tough flight without being able to visualize manuever nodes. At least for me :D

You can still recover you craft through the tracking station.

If you use RPM then you can double click on the hatch to EVA.

Edit: Just tried the mod and it works great. A welcome addition would be first person EVA.

Hmmm, it would be nice to be able to do recovery inside the vessel. Not sure how to go about this other than creating a simple GUI but my screen is already so cluttered so I don't know about that. Tracking station it is for now.

First person EVA is a dream of mine. If I can figure it out, it will become part of this plugin. I know there used to be a mod that enabled first person EVA using some kind of glasses or something. I don't remember what it is called however.

yeah, lazor mod has some kind of first person, and the glasses you mention are the BBI first person view mod.

The difference between the two is that lazor actually allows you to move around, the other doesn't if i remember correctly

Omg, FPS EVA.

Please, that would be so cool!

Immersion level overninethousand.

Btw, there is a section of RPM that is actually a map view, right?

Wonder if it's possible to set nodes there.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong about eyeballing to get to Mun or Minmus.

o.O I did the same... (ForceIVA) aka "ManleyMode"

Just didnt got the time to push up a thread: https://github.com/tabakhase/KSP-ManleyMode/commit/acc3d7094d23146108a988f4aeb7e00619bafdb3

Due the scope there is a little diffrent, also by default it locks the Map as well and adds some more extra things (AP/PE with RadioDelay)...

The idea there is that you put a part onto the vessel and then the plugin locks you down, ive already contacted the original author and got permission to publish a new version.

For an idea, the current change log looks like this:

- fixed EVA derping on pods with more than 1 crew member

- added support to have multiple antennas without interference (with that allow undocked landerModules to have a manleyTenna as well)

- integrate a fix for RasterPropMonitor IVA "startEVA" module

- fixed "kebinLookup" (no its not the first planet...)

- option to keep shown on "noUI"mode (F2)

and my "planned" is somewhere around:

- one or two commands to "make docking possible"

- remotetech2 integration (use there network & lineOfSight)

- deadlyReentry integration (comms drop on reenter)

- a working "1st person EVA" (40%)

- a "2030" mode where KSC can return some more information (for the non RPM users)

I hope to fire up a Thread for that thing within this week.

Please just dont see that as stolen/clone, i committed the code to github more than a week ago ;-)

Sidenote:

I´m also working on this: [WIP][iVA,PLUGIN] ProbeControlRoom x.y - IVA All the things!

This will utilize an alternative CameraManager.Instance.SetCameraIVA(); to also support IVA views for vessels NOT actually having a kerbal on board

I´ll be happy to put your mod into the "supported" list there as well, poke me in the #kspmodders IRC to check what we need todo for that if youre intrested =)

Edited by Tabakhase
added sidenote

o.O I did the same... (ForceIVA) aka "ManleyMode"

Just didnt got the time to push up a thread: https://github.com/tabakhase/KSP-ManleyMode/commit/acc3d7094d23146108a988f4aeb7e00619bafdb3

Due the scope there is a little diffrent, also by default it locks the Map as well and adds some more extra things (AP/PE with RadioDelay)...

The idea there is that you put a part onto the vessel and then the plugin locks you down, ive already contacted the original author and got permission to publish a new version.

For an idea, the current change log looks like this:

- fixed EVA derping on pods with more than 1 crew member

- added support to have multiple antennas without interference (with that allow undocked landerModules to have a manleyTenna as well)

- integrate a fix for RasterPropMonitor IVA "startEVA" module

- fixed "kebinLookup" (no its not the first planet...)

- option to keep shown on "noUI"mode (F2)

and my "planned" is somewhere around:

- one or two commands to "make docking possible"

- remotetech2 integration (use there network & lineOfSight)

- deadlyReentry integration (comms drop on reenter)

- a working "1st person EVA" (40%)

- a "2030" mode where KSC can return some more information (for the non RPM users)

I hope to fire up a Thread for that thing within this week.

Please just dont see that as stolen/clone, i committed the code to github more than a week ago ;-)

Sidenote:

I´m also working on this: [WIP][iVA,PLUGIN] ProbeControlRoom x.y - IVA All the things!

This will utilize an alternative CameraManager.Instance.SetCameraIVA(); to also support IVA views for vessels NOT actually having a kerbal on board

I´ll be happy to put your mod into the "supported" list there as well, poke me in the #kspmodders IRC to check what we need todo for that if youre intrested =)

I actually was inspired after seeing your ProbeControlRoom mod and had planned on supporting that once you released it. (I cannot wait until you release that! I love the idea.) Did not know you were also working on a forced IVA mod as well so I suppose support from me would be a little redundant :D But I would love to be on the list of supported mods. I'll get to you on #kspmodders. (Once I get time away from all these IRL responsibilities :P)

Oh well, I will continue to work on this as a learning experience and since I've been enjoying playing with C#. Yours is much more in-depth so maybe I will try to keep mine as simple as possible, it would be sort of a 'lite' version.

Everyone else, just updated. I discovered there is no way to review stored science data from IVA so I've added a button that lets you do exactly that. It is backslash by default but I'm very close to having a config option for choosing your own key. Also added a config option to enable map view. More feature requests are very welcome! Challenge me!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like alot of fun! Taking realism to the next level.

Do you have any ideas on how to handle probes in a new way?

PS

I think I should let you know that you did the links in the OP backwards. It should be:

<url=http://www.blahblah.com/blahblah>Link Text</url>

except with square brackets of course. Right now you have a link to RPM, where if you click on it, it goes to http://raster%20prop%20moniter/

Looks like alot of fun! Taking realism to the next level.

Do you have any ideas on how to handle probes in a new way?

PS

I think I should let you know that you did the links in the OP backwards. It should be:

<url=http://www.blahblah.com/blahblah>Link Text</url>

except with square brackets of course. Right now you have a link to RPM, where if you click on it, it goes to http://raster%20prop%20moniter/

Thank you for pointing out the links. That was dumb haha. Fixed them.

I had a few ideas. Restricting to map mode was one, but then you have no staging. I personally liked the idea of having to use 3rd party cameras on your ship to have any vision at all, and may still go through with that. As an optional feature of course. But then ProbeControlRoom was made and I can take the easy route and just add compatibility to that :sticktongue:

Please can you make it toggleable I don't really want it forced but still really want to use this mod

Working on this.

When out and about, how does one do science? Surface sample, eva report & plant flag?

Working on this. Suggestions as to how to accomplish? Small gui? Or adding keyboard buttons?

So... If I EVA a kerbal, and I don't want to force the IVA while my kerbal is inside a vessel... What do I do?

Added a config option to disable forced IVA

This is really great, though I just can't stand having to use the mouse to turn around.

The mouse controls are terrible for 1st person. It is something I am working on as I cannot stand it either.

Edited by Chronothan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.