[WIP] Through the Eyes of a Kerbal - 0.0.2c - 2/16/14 1st person EVA(Now toggleable!)

Chronothan

Working on this. Suggestions as to how to accomplish? Small gui? Or adding keyboard buttons?

I think I would lean towards a toolbar integrated GUI which would just have all the right click options that are normally available when you right click on a kerbal.

This idea could go far, it is really something that a lot of people will like. One thing that I personally would prefer though, is the ability to check things like seperation through other means than a camera. In real life, cameras are used, but often different types of sensors are also used. A light to confirm solar panel deployment or gear retraction seems a bit more realistic.

...strange...

Just downloaded the updated and I am no longer forced into first person while inside the vehicle. Jumping out and walking around is first person, but when inside, I can switch from IVA to normal. Is there a config I have to change?

Why not make a button that toggles EVAview? That can be toggled outside the kerbal?

OH, and in he configs, what part is the option that disables the forced IVA.

...strange...

Just downloaded the updated and I am no longer forced into first person while inside the vehicle. Jumping out and walking around is first person, but when inside, I can switch from IVA to normal. Is there a config I have to change?

Yes, I forgot to update the OP. Change forceIVA to true in the config. Default is false. I've decided the main focus of this mod should be the 1st person EVA, since a lot of people would want that but not the the forced IVA. IVA is still, and will continue to be, a part of this mod but it is an option, not the focus.

Paste this in the IVAoptions.cfg:

forceIVA = true

Hmm you shouldn't have to paste the decleration. If you have an old IVAoptions.cfg it should automatically update when you enter flight mode to include the new forceIVA option. Is this not happening for some people?

Edited by Chronothan

Hmm you shouldn't have to paste the decleration. If you have an old IVAoptions.cfg it should automatically update when you enter flight mode to include the new forceIVA option. Is this not happening for some people?

The line was their, it was just set to false as default.

The current archive doesn't have that line in the IVAoptions.cfg.

What about an option to toggle the first person /EVA view on and off? Like how you can choose if you want to be in IVA view always, it would be useful to have a setting that enabled toggling the first person EVA view. That doesn't seem to be there, and is the main thing deterring me from giving it a go so far.

Edited by Tw1

This looks like fun, I'm probably going to pick this up. I'm assuming from your previous comments that I can still use Map View? That's crucial, IMO, until someone comes up with a single-player alternative.

When out and about, how does one do science? Surface sample, eva report & plant flag?

Working on this. Suggestions as to how to accomplish? Small gui? Or adding keyboard buttons?

Small floating GUI would be ideal IMO.

The mouse controls are terrible for 1st person. It is something I am working on as I cannot stand it either.

Nice. Another thing you might want to consider is some additional Kerbal orientation controls, especially while floating in space.

What about an option to toggle the first person /EVA view on and off? Like how you can choose if you want to be in IVA view always, it would be useful to have a setting that enabled toggling the first person EVA view. That doesn't seem to be there, and is the main thing deterring me from giving it a go so far.

Ask and ye shall receive. They new update has toggleable first person on by default.

This looks like fun, I'm probably going to pick this up. I'm assuming from your previous comments that I can still use Map View? That's crucial, IMO, until someone comes up with a single-player alternative.

Small floating GUI would be ideal IMO.

Nice. Another thing you might want to consider is some additional Kerbal orientation controls, especially while floating in space.

Yes mapview is usable by default. Can be disabled in config if you are that hardcore :D

What I really want to do is make the kerbal follow the X mouse rotation when you right-click while on foot. So even when not moving, the kerbal would turn with the camera. And while in space, make the kerbal follow the mouse rotation of both the X and Y axes on right click. Allowing you to have full freedom of orientation in any direction. This is proving more involved than I had thought, so it is taking longer while I learn more about C# and Unity.

Edited by Chronothan

I've run into the issue where if you EVA, go into FPS mode, switch to 3rd person, and then attempt to go back into FPS, it does not work. Am I borking something here, or is it a bug?

Hmmm I'm having trouble reproducing this. Any mods you think might interact? Though I've tested it on my install with waaaay too many mods and there was no problem. Want to send me your output_log.txt file right after this issue happens?

Hmmm I'm having trouble reproducing this. Any mods you think might interact? Though I've tested it on my install with waaaay too many mods and there was no problem. Want to send me your output_log.txt file right after this issue happens?

Can't tonight, but I'll take a look tomorrow night.

List of mods:

000_Toolbar

AIES Aerospace

ASET

B9 Aerospace

[Exsurgent Engineering, Firespitter, Kinetech Animations]

Texture Compressor

CactEye

Chatterer

Crew Manifest

Fustek (Dev build)

HullCamera VDS

Raster Prop Monitor

KAS

Procedural Fairings

KW Rocketry

LLL-lite

MapTraqll

Mechjeb2

Mods by Tal (Cubic Struts)

Near Future

Part Catalog

RCS Build Aid

SCANSat

SCANSat RPM

Scene Jumper

SDHI

Texture Replacer

Most of these mods have been truncated of parts I don't need/use to save on RAM.

I found an issue: when i'm in IVA mode and i press "C" to view outside, the Kerbal goes on EVA with first person camera.

Do you have forceIVA in the config set to true? If you do, it remaps the C key to a go-EVA button. And if you have forceEVA set it true it will automatically set first person mode.

EDIT: Just checked the download and it appears I placed the wrong config in there. The config options defaulted to true for both of those. Default is supposed to be false. Change them manually or redownload.

EDIT2: Ok, looks like I was distributing 2 dll's of the same plugin :blush: One was inside the Source/ForceIVA/obj/debug folder. I recommend redownloading even if you aren't having issues.

Edited by Chronothan

This is nice to see. One of the issues I consistently had in the past was first person view for kerbals being shoehorned in as an afterthought. I'll be checking this to see how it works with my mod, and assuming there are no issues I'll probably start pointing people in your direction.

At work currently, so I'll have more questions later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.