[WIP] Through the Eyes of a Kerbal - 0.0.2c - 2/16/14 1st person EVA(Now toggleable!)

Chronothan

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. Been busy at work, blah blah blah, RL stuff and excuses.

OH MY HECK YES. :D Immediate download. My 'brutal mode' suite has not been complete until now.

Had a thought - does this mod account for EVA Kerbals that are steering a vessel using an external command seat?

I have actually completely overlooked the command seats. I almost have never used them. But no it does not. And further, if you have 'isKerbalVisible' disabled in the config, the Kerbal stays invisible when switching to the seat! I'll try to throw and get an update together for this tomorrow night.

To the Kerbal's horizontal rotation slaving horizontal camera rotation would minimize helmet intrusion into First-Person EVA view.

-Duxwing

Yes I have been trying to do this. I really am at a loss for this it wasn't as simple as I would've thought. I'm going to continue working on it as it I really, really want to get rid of the 'Exorcist' 360° head spinning :P

This is nice to see. One of the issues I consistently had in the past was first person view for kerbals being shoehorned in as an afterthought. I'll be checking this to see how it works with my mod, and assuming there are no issues I'll probably start pointing people in your direction.

At work currently, so I'll have more questions later.

Glad to hear that. Hope it works for you, and please, let me know if there is anything I can do to improve compatibility. I did a tiny bit of testing today and it seemed to work. But let me know.

Edited by Chronothan

I have actually completely overlooked the command seats. I almost have never used them. But no it does not. And further, if you have 'isKerbalVisible' disabled in the config, the Kerbal stays invisible when switching to the seat! I'll try to throw and get an update together for this tomorrow night.

Just another note: if you DO use isKerbalVisible as enabled, jumping into a seat makes the Kerbal's head go invisible. A little freaky at first :P

@Chronothan: Have you looked at this: FPS Mousescript

I have, and that is likely what I'll use. But I am having trouble figuring out what to attach it to. I have tried attaching it to the KerbalEVA.transform object and the ActiveVessel.transform object and it 'works' in that it lets you turn the kerbal with the mouse, but it screws up the other controls. Especially walking. WASD all make the kerbal go in the same direction regardless of facing :P

I need to figure out what actually controls the EVA kerbals. I THINK it is a rigidbody, but I don't know if it is attached to KerbalEVA or the Vessel or what. If I can figure it out, it shouldn't be too hard to completely replace the controller with a much more FPS friendly one.

Just another note: if you DO use isKerbalVisible as enabled, jumping into a seat makes the Kerbal's head go invisible. A little freaky at first :P

I fixed the invisible kerbal issues in my latest dev build. No download yet but hopefully shortly. I want to implement first person view for kerbals in command seats in this next update. Once I do, I'll release it.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else watching this thread successfully compiled from the source code? I had to edit the KeyControls class to public in order to get it compile, and the ForceIVA.dll I get at the end of the process doesn't seem to work when I use it to substitute the provided .dll. Is there some magic I'm missing out on by doing this all from the command line?

• 5 weeks later...

One thing I've noticed is that your external camera view must be set to the correct type. For instance when you first EVA and your Kerbalnaut still is holding onto the pod, your view may be skewed sideways rather than correctly oriented. Changing to free camera mode usually fixes the problem.

Found an issue, not sure if it was reported yet. When using Force IVA & Force 1st person EVA, when you undock a craft , the cockpit disappears and you can't do anything. Even switching between vessels shows an external view of the ship but there are no portraits and you have no control over the craft. You must go back to the space center when this happens.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem. I didn't work for me at all.

I strongly suspect it is a Linux version issue, or I bungled the install but I don't think so.

I looked in the Player.log file and found the following...

[B]File 'GameData/ForceIVA/IVAoptions.cfg' does not exist[/B]

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "/home/kaa/[B]Documents[/B]/GameData/ForceIVA/IVAoptions.cfg".
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, FileMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName, System.String header) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at FirstPerson.ConfigUtil.checkConfig () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at FirstPerson.ConfigUtil.isKerbalVisible () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at FirstPerson.FirstPersonEVA..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

(Filename: Line: 4294967295)

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ForceIVA' from assembly 'ForceIVA'

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

[B]File 'GameData/ForceIVA/IVAoptions.cfg' does not exist[/B]

IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "/home/kaa/[B]Documents[/B]/GameData/ForceIVA/IVAoptions.cfg".
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, FileMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName, System.String header) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at FirstPerson.ConfigUtil.checkConfig () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at FirstPerson.ConfigUtil.checkKeys () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at FirstPerson.ForceIVA..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

(Filename: Line: 4294967295)

For a default KSP install on linux the full filename with path would be = "/home/kaa/KSP_linux/GameData/ForceIVA/IVAoptions.cfg" not = "/home/kaa/Documents/GameData/ForceIVA/IVAoptions.cfg".

So I put the IVAoptions.cfg file where it is being looked for and now it appears to be working.

My impression now having it working for 1 minute? A Great mod :) ! Thanks.

Chronothan (or anyone that knows), is this mod still being actively developed? Haven't seen an update or a forum comment since February. Can we expect further updates?

It's *almost* exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm hesitant to use it without the ability to activate the context menus for parts (such as, to collect science experiments).

• 2 weeks later...
"-Some kind of hud for activating EVA science while in first person. "

The ScienceAlert addon can do this if you want an example. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/73983-0-23-WIP-ScienceAlert-1-3-Experiment-availability-feedback-(updated-Apr-7)

So it looks like this mod may no longer be in development, but I'm looking into continuing it (if I can get in touch with the author) or making my own sort of thing.

You're right that this is a work-around, but I'd prefer to see a more generic solution. We need general purpose access to context menus in first person IVA, not just science. What if the player is using KAS?

hmm have you tried looking into these mods to build off of....

First person Eva ( has a more rigid cam which provides more immersion and due to the lack of license you can use its code),

NavHud (can make for a very cool HUD for Evas as its icons work well with it),

and

Steam Gauges (another HUD but canbe used in conjunction with NavHud to create a real gem of a mod)

just a suggestion for you to look into

Edited by Helix935
clarification

So it looks like this mod may no longer be in development, but I'm looking into continuing it (if I can get in touch with the author) or making my own sort of thing.

You're right that this is a work-around, but I'd prefer to see a more generic solution. We need general purpose access to context menus in first person IVA, not just science. What if the player is using KAS?

I hope you do! Forced first person adds a whole new dimension to the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.